Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lott Load Development Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with the sand bag The first time I shot it. I use IMR4320 And I get
2280fps with that powder and the solid I get 2320FPS

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jro45:
I did the same thing with the sand bag The first time I shot it. I use IMR4320 And I get
2280fps with that powder and the solid I get 2320FPS
thumb

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because official load manuals list a max load ok in their test gun or pressure barrel doesn't mean that your gun will be able to do the same.

Thats why you are suppose to work up your loads towards maximum, If you get pressure signs you are supposed to stop and back off that load.

Sometimes a gun can't make it to the the top listed powder charge, your gun might be one of those.

Usually the most accurate load and the highest velocity load are not in the same cartridge case.
Strive for the most accurate load with your chosen bullet weight.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of groups shot today.The top group is the 82gr 4320 load and the bottom load is the 86gr W748 load.[URL= ]a[/URL]The shape of the groups is the same as the previous week.The 4320 load strings horizontal.The screws did not come loose this time because I bedded the action and used loctite for the forearm screw.A strange thing that happened was that on following groups the point of impact changed to a foot below and I could not figure out the problem until I noticed the 200yd metal sight had fallen during recoil or from manouvering the rifle..I need to use the 200yd sight on both my 458WM and Lott to shoot bullseye at 100yds.I shoot a foot low at 100 with the 100yd sight.I think I'll use some loctite on that.Here is some data for the 550gr Woodleigh.I got 2053fps with 78gr of IMR 4320 and 2088fps with 82gr of W748.The W748 load was as accurate as the load above with the TSX.I'll have to re-shoot the IMR Woodleigh load again for accuracy as the leaf sight screwed me up.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not had the opportunity to load any TSX bullets in my Lott. Came across a little shop with quite a few boxes of old 500 grain round nosers for not much money and have been using those for development. I have been sticking to 77.3 grains of H335.

It shoots well, but I have had to scope the rifle. It was hitting about 7" low with iron sights and that no one makes a shorter sight. The Hornady manual lists this as good for 2150fps, and I don't think that 100-150 fps would cause that kind of drop. Have not had a chance to use the chronograph on this load.

I must say that the Lott has been challenging to load. I crushed a number of cases while seating before I got the hang of it. I hope I will be able to load Barnes bullets without too much of a problem. I used a past recoil pad and only cut myself once on the nose with about 20 rounds off the bench. It makes a 338 Lapua seem like a pussy cat. My rifle is a Ruger RSM. My gunsmith refused to glass bed it, saying that it caused more cracked stocks than it prevented in this caliber, however he did bed in some kind of steel reinforcement in the forearm. Seems solid, so far.

This is an interesting round to work with. I purchased some 350 grainers and might try and take some groundhogs with it come June.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
390ish,I don't give it a big bedding job.All I do is put some bedding in the recoil lug recess,the rear tang,and the floor plate,and around the holes of the guard screws.This rifle needed a bit in the recess of the small steel plate on the forearm to keep that from moving around.I had no choice because all three screws were undoing after every few rds.I checked all screws after 20rds today and nothing is loose.So far I am pleased with the CZ.Aside from the feeding troubles it points and balances well,ejects the cases,is accurate and I love to look at it.It is really attractive.What I like most about it is the way it shoulders and balances.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the torque specs are for the screws? Mine have not come loose, but I don't know what to snug them to if do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They have slot heads and I don't have the proper bit for my torque wrench.I wish I could find a slotted guard screw bit that could fit my wrench.Instead I use a Forster screwdriver and tighten as hard as I can by hand.I use 60lbs on allen head screws.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
.So far I am pleased with the CZ.Aside from the feeding troubles it points and balances well,ejects the cases,is accurate and I love to look at it.It is really attractive.What I like most about it is the way it shoulders and balances.

Feeding problems don't matter as long as it's a Mauser/controled feed. Hey maybe it'll work upside down?? stir

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got word this week that the feeding problem on my 458WM CZ has been fixed and that it now feeds "like a Dream".That should be something,I hope.My gunsmith is also a gunmaker and a guild member.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at the range again today trying to adjust the windage on the sights. It seems that when I bedded the rifle, the point of impact settled to a spot a foot and a half to the left of bullseye.The groups pictured just above were supposed to hit the target way to the right(not pictured).The way the windage(horizontal) is adjusted,is by loostening the rear sight(sight closest to the action) screw and moving the sights in the direction you wish the bullet to shoot.So,I am now sighted bullseye at 100yds,but I am starting to get a flyer now and then.I think the front swivel may be causing this.I will remove the front swivel to prevent it from slamming the rifle rest.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have slot heads and I don't have the proper bit for my torque wrench.I wish I could find a slotted guard screw bit that could fit my wrench.Instead I use a Forster screwdriver and tighten as hard as I can by hand.I use 60lbs on allen head screws.

60 ft lbs is a proverbial sh*tload of torque. In fact, that's head bolt torque values on automobile engine heads. Did you mean inch pounds?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes tiggergate.I use the torque wrench I bought a few years ago from HS precision.It is pre-set at 60 or 65.Makes life easy.Good investment. beer

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
I see you got yourself a good investment there shootaway. Kinda a shame the rear sight gave you crap like that when you paid that much. However, I was wondering...this is a safari classic if you paid that much, right? I thought those came with a barrel band to mount the front swivel, unless you are resting the barrel on the rest?
With those kinds of loads you're running through it make sure to wear your football helmet

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was reffering to the wrench.The rear sight needed adjustment after I bedded the rifle,besides it is just normal to adjust it to the specific bullets used at 100yds.This is a new fancy grade safari classic.The swivel stud screw is on the forearm.My loads are normal for this caliber.Which load are you reffering to? Here is the point of impact after the first attempt at correcting the windage.It is now adjusted to shoot center.[URL= ]a[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
My Lott was one of the original 458 WM/458 Lott conversions from CZ. The original sights were set up for the 458 WM. I bought a replacement Recnagel front sight insert from NECG that was the proper hight and then filed in the rear sight to the point where the bullets were impacting the target. It took quite a bit of filing/adjustments, but in the end I had a very accurate load for the sights on the gun.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I broke out the Data Powder 74 yesterday and shot some in the Lott. 500 grain Hornady. Used 88 grains of powder. Published max at powder valley is 88.6. was accurate, more accurate than my factory loaded hornadys, but the recoil was wrenching the forearm from my left hand. That checkering hurts!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
My Lott was one of the original 458 WM/458 Lott conversions from CZ. The original sights were set up for the 458 WM. I bought a replacement Recnagel front sight insert from NECG that was the proper hight and then filed in the rear sight to the point where the bullets were impacting the target. It took quite a bit of filing/adjustments, but in the end I had a very accurate load for the sights on the gun.
I found it interesting reading how you solved that problem 450/400.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
I broke out the Data Powder 74 yesterday and shot some in the Lott. 500 grain Hornady. Used 88 grains of powder. Published max at powder valley is 88.6. was accurate, more accurate than my factory loaded hornadys, but the recoil was wrenching the forearm from my left hand. That checkering hurts!
It's the first time I heard of that powder, 390ish. That recoil sure is something.I managed to get some offhand shots with it today at the range despite feeling exhausted. With full power loads,that muzzle was lifting in the air like a WILD THING.Here is a nice group at 100 yds off the bench, with W748 and the 500gr TSX. After about 100rds down this barrel,it is getting really difficult to remove the copper.The rifle will only group like this after an exhausting cleaning session.

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
What I didn't tell you is that the group I posted the picture of was shot off hand and standing! I didn't have the guts to try for a five shot group and ruin it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
What I didn't tell you is that the group I posted the picture of was shot off hand and standing! I didn't have the guts to try for a five shot group and ruin it!
You must practice alott.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My group is two touching and one was 3/4" out WITH IMR4320. I also have a scope on it.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Open sights...

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I cut my targets out and put them in a small note book. Here is my group with my Lott shooting 450 grain NF Solids 100 yards bagged on a bench with a 1.5 X 5 X 30mm Scope. I shot 4 shots on this target. Putting any thing between you and the pad on your rifle is a mistake if you are shooting for groups. It will cause inconsistent recoil action and you can not achieve a consistent cheek weld and sight picture with a sand bag in the middle.

Here are my 450 grain TSX on the same target as some 450 grain NF solids. All 100 yards bagged on a bench shot from the shoulder.
[URL= ][IMG]

There is absolutely no reason for reloading to be a mystery or dangerous.

The NF solids were loaded with 80 grains of H4895 and clocked at 2320 ft/sec The 450 grain TSX's were loaded with 81 grains of H4895 and clocked at 2255 ft/sec. These loads were developed in July/Aug in Phoenix, AZ. They are good to go in hot climates.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those groups are amazing 458Lottfan.Were you using the Ruger and if so does it have a factory barrel? Did you try other powders with the TSX?

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Yes my Lott action and barrel are factory with no modifications.

I did have a custom stock built. It shot great with the factory stock but better with the custom stock.

With the 400gr to 600 grain bullets I have only used H4895.

I had great results with RL7 with the Barns X 350gr bullets. RL 7 is completly the wrong powder for heavy bullets.

With the 350gr X bulltes I was shooting under one inch and the bullets clocked at 2770 ft/sec

Give the H4895 an honest try. Rip and a couple others recomended another powder on a post I wanted to try it but can't remember what it was. I will search my posts and find it.

By the way I will be in Montreal in June 08 at one of the Pratt and Whitney Plants for training.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you use the Lott in Africa? If I am not at the big bore shoot in Montana, maybe we can get together for a beer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a group out of a fouled barrel.The bullet is a 500gr A-frame and the powder is H4895.If it wasn't for the flyer this would be a good group.[URL= ]aframe[/URL] I also tried the 500gr Barnes banded solids and got terrible results.It seems that they will not stablize in this barrel.I could not get them on paper at all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of how the Woodleigh solids keyholed on the target today.The first two pics show the 500gr FMJ and the third shows the 550gr FMJ. It seems that after firing around 150 rds mostly TSX and FMJ the rifling has eroded to the point that it can no longer get a grip and spin these bullets. [URL= ]c[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really doubt you wore the rifling out with 150 rounds. You might want to try cleaning the copper fowling out and trying again.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading somewhere a gunsmith from H&H?? saying to shoot the least number of solids because it will erode the bore.The only bullets of mine that it will now still shoot accurately is the A-frame.The keyholing rds fired above were fired with loads that shot them well before.

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

From a .458 Lott? 150 rounds of solids are not going to erode the barrel, unless somehow, some way you got your hands on some old ass steel jacketed solids. Even shooting a hundred rounds from a 30-378 Weatherby with solids wouldn't erode the rifling to a horrible extent. The .458 Lott is fairly kind and forgiving as far as erosive qualities go, as are most of the big bore, straight walled cartridges.
Something tells me you need a good scrubbing and cleaning, that's all. Also, if you're convinced the rifling is eroded, pull out the bolt and take a look down the bore. Guarantee you'll see a dirty ass bore with still sharp rifling.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made sure the barrel was cleaner than ever.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I am curious what you do to clean the barrel?

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use JB on a patch on a copper bore brush until copper is no longer visible on and under the lands(aprox 40 strokes),or until the rifle groups to my satisfaction.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shoo, thataway ...
STOP CLEANING your barrel so much.. the JB does erode barrels.

I have shot HUNDREDS if not thousands of 458 solids in varius barrels..

they dont' errode the barrel

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
shoot, there is an easy fix for your eroded bore. Next time use JB Weld, to restore your rifling.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use JB on a patch on a copper bore brush until copper is no longer visible on and under the lands(aprox 40 strokes),or until the rifle groups to my satisfaction.

How do you get under the lands?... bewildered

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

A nice course valve grinding compound will work wonders on that barrel. I suggest you give it a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Shootaway,

A nice course valve grinding compound will work wonder on that barrel. I suggest you give it a try.

Nah, 60 grit sandpaper wrapped around a loose brush works a lot better.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote