THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .475 cal S&H (Macifej) solids....interest poll
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.475 cal S&H (Macifej) solids....interest poll Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Just a quick poll to gauge any potential interest in .475 FN solids from Macifej. Two questions are posed...are you interested? (only "Yes's" need respond, obviously) and what weight bullet would you prefer?

As mentioned in another thread (one I was rudely hi-jacking Smiler ), the run would need to be a minimum of 500 peices, and the price of 100 peices (shipped w/in continental US) is $275.

If you are interested, please reply below with your leve of interest (# of boolitz) as well, so we can make arrangements.

To start, I am in for 100 pcs.

Cheers,
Canuck

Question:
Are you interested in a "group buy" of .475" S&H FN solid boolitz?

Choices:
YES!!!
Nah, but they are totally cool

Question:
What weight of boolit would you prefer?

Choices:
450gr
470gr
500gr
520gr
540gr
550gr
Any of the above!!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
chris,
450, 475, 500, and 520 will be the right weights.. i can't sign up for any of the above as the bullets will be too long

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
jeffe,

I changed it for you quickly, before there were many responses.

Anyone that voted already, please re-submit your responses.

Jeffe....what is your preferred weight??

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Since I would only use about 20 in my life my vote means nothing but a 475 grain .301 SD does seem ideal and 500 would be max needed.

Being a flat nose solid what more is needed???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chris
i voted for 450 ... see Gerard's pics on 400gr .458s in Doug's SD thread. Mac's bullets look great, but I do not think am a player on this one. 450 GR is the right weight here

476AR,

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
450 GR is the right weight here

Gerards pic is of an HV bullet.

I don't agree with your statement above across the board (it may very well the the right bullet for capacity limited cases) -- I am more interested in seeing a run of these done than in quibbling over bullet weight....if going lighter would kindle your interest, I am game.

Where the heck are IS, RGB, RIP, and 470Mbogo anyway? Thought they'd at least let me know if they are NOT interested.

Cheers,
Canuck

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chris,
G sells the 470450FN .. which is probably perfect.

the 400gr .458 is WAY down the chart for me, but looks like it works as an expanding bullet

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about posting a link for us "not in the know rednecks."

I have NO idea what these things are or what they look like.
Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a photo of the .505 for Gibbs. See the thread in Big Bores for some test results. The .475 has similar proportions.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Mac has made two great bullets on his first runs for public consumption. First a .395/330gr and then a .505/558gr Groovy Brass FN Solid.
prof242 and I are hoping for a .395/300-gr Groovy Brass TOBTHP Elk Basher soon.

I have had trouble finding the time to keep up with my "projects" lately and must pace myself on the dollar outlay too.

I would vote for the 475 to 500-grain S&H .475 Solid, but this has so much applicability to double rifles that I hope he will come up with a driving band design that would work in anything.
Like the GSC and North Fork, that are available ... sometimes ... always room for another good bullet.

I think his dense and strong brass would make an excellent drive-banded bullet. He just needs to get over the guilt of feeling like he is copying. Drive bands have been done since BP days.

Some day maybe a 435-grain FN for the .475 Turnbull. Drive bands and a good crimp would work well there too, and would make nice varmint loads in the 470 NE, 470 Capstick, and 470 Mbogo.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me with this driving band stuff!

OK! Here's the deal! Canuck should modify his poll and ask the guys who are in whether they want a driving band or grooved design. I can make either. The driving band is actually less brain damage to make.

So! There y'all go! A 475" brass solid with driving bands. Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have recieved one PM from an interested party that prefers 470 grains, and I know he has both a 470 Mbogo and a 470 NE...so, I am betting a 470, 475 or even 480 gr driving band solid would be amenable to him. (.475, 475gr does have a ring to it).

I could be easily satisfied with that too. thumb

If I modify the poll it will wipe out all responses thus far, so hopefully others will check in and just speak up with their preference.

Also waiting for 470 Mbogo to see this thread and chime in. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm working on the 475 Grain .475" Banded Solid then as we speak. By the time you get 5-10 guys together I will have it finished. Cool

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
RIP,

In the absence of Don Mbogo, and since you have a 470 Mbogo, are quite knowlegable on the topic of throat/leade etc, do you have any recommendations on location of a cannelure (or top driving band in this case) for this bullet?

Jeffe, since this could provide fodder for your 470 ARs as well at some point, do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
I would have to get out the JGS reamer drawing and look at the throat. I would gladly do that later this weekend. I assume it is the standard Dave Estergaard throat.

Mainly if it will work in the tight CIP minimum throat for the 470 NE it should work in anything, and allow longer crimping length in the other ones with various freebores.

Just like the excellent S&H .505/558-gr Groovy Brass FN Solid will work in any .505. thumb

Yes I would start by making it fit the 470 NE throat and a banded FN and it will work in any of the DGR bolts and doubles.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
HI Canuck,
I'm in for 100 of whatever you guys are looking for. I really like the 540's at 2400 fps with the .410 meplate. But If you guys decide on the 475 grain bullet I'm in on that also.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Dave! Smiler

So far that's three canucks in for 100 apeice, and Jim Manion from the other thread for 100 also (assuming he's OK with the weight and driving band concept). 4 down, hopefully more to follow.

Cheers,
Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot yeah! If it is just 100 at a time count me in too. You talked me into it. I am a sucker for good bullets. Big Grin

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Excellent RIP. Smiler That gets us to the minimum order of 500. thumb Hopefully a few others will still join in too.

Macifej is getting close to a design for us to look at too. Big Grin

I am afeerd I may have to see it in the AM though....time to hit the rack at this time zone...

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry on guys and try to get a couple more guys on board so I can cover the cost of shipping to parts far and wide. The run will go 1000 pieces then.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the minimum throat to make it work in anything, CIP 470 NE:

G1, start of throat diameter = 0.4764" = 12.10mm
j = leade angle = 0*50'01"
G = throat length (leade only, no parallel-sided freebore) = 0.3528" = 8.96mm

land diameter = 0.4665" = 11.85mm (what the throat tapers down to over that .3528" length of leade)
groove diameter = 0.4744" = 12.05mm

There ya go. That's all Macifej needs to make the nose fit.

Then there is box length, not an issue with doubles.

Magazine rifle box, 470 Mbogo: assume a stingey 3.750", many are bigger.

Case length of the 470 Mbogo: 2.945" max seems to be burned into my brain. Trim to 2.935"

Nose length allowable = 3.750"- 2.945" = 0.805"

470 Capstick similarly: 3.600" - 2.850" = 0.750"

Just make the nose portion .750" long when crimped in the first interband space, and that length includes the width of the first band.

What is the tangent of 0*50'01" in order to figure out how wide the first band can be, or Macifej can do it with his 'puter.
Subsequent bands may be wider.

I vote for a .4750" diameter of driving bands (bullet diameter, bearing diameter, and any tolerance should be +.0005", -0.0000 ), and an inter-band diameter at bore/land diameter of CIP minimum: 0.4665"

The pattern of the driving bands should be numerous and thin with a little more space between the bands than the bands are wide, yaknowhatahmean?

Base of bullet? Flat with radius or slight boattail? FN nose. Brass.

Now the finer details for Macifej.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks RIP! You rock. Big Grin

Sounds like what Macifej and I have been discussing will work. IIRC, he has the nose (from inside first driving band to tip) at about 0.625, which should give lots of room even for 470 ARs (similar nose length as Swift A-frame and shorter than Barnes X). FN meplat of approx 0.365.

All I know about the driving band pattern is that it is "whacky" Big Grin The tough material gives him some latitude for larger spaces between. Looking foward to seeing it, although I must sign off shortly.

Hopefully Macifej will cc you on the design for your sharp-eyed critique!

Cheers,
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incoming!!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Reply sent!

Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck and Macifej,
That nose length of .625" will be good. Those with longer throats and boxes can seat them out, load them long.

That first driving band of full .4750" diameter that is ahead of the crimp should be no more than .0535" in width, or 1.36mm.
1mm band width throughout would be fine.
This will assure that that first band ahead of the crimp will fit even the tight CIP 470NE throat.

I am voting for a simple band arrangement with each band 1 mm wide (.0394" or about .0400") and with 1.5 to 2 mm of space (.0600" to .0800") between the bands ... or a 1/2 mm wide band first and progressively widening the bands until the last band is 1 mm wide and the spacing is constant on the centers of the bands, about 1.5 mm to 2 mm apart. Wink

We wait to see what Macifej comes up with. Anything in the 475 to 500-grain weight range would be fine. The more bands the merrier.

Some fancy bullet makers vary the width and spacing of the bands as they progress from the nose toward the base of the bullet. Walterhogs and GSC?

The latest North Fork banded bullets (FP and CP) have a neat arrangement similar to what I am suggesting, with constant band width. Not undersized. Plenty of neck tension and multiple crimping locations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys I am back on the case here. I will refine a bit and resubmit.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
........Ya a 475 gr weight is great for me ,,,,But I don,t have any 475 caliber rifles yet ???????? Frowner.,., Gonna have to remidy that ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

How you coming on getting your .475 - 475 crew together?

I will be ready to get them made early next week.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
So far just the 5.

Once your design is settled, I'll broadcast my efforts a little further. Smiler

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have it to you this evening.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
will they be "Tigershark" banded?

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only the HP's will have the Sharkee Look!

The solids will still be TFN's

Gotta make what the customer wants Boomer!

I'm going to make some .375" Sharkee HP's pending the .395" crews results.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going to make some .375" Sharkee HP's pending the .395" crews results.

Oooohhh. Smiler Hmmm....if they are in the 260 to 270'ish grain area, it would be fun to try them out in my 375 Ruger. thumb

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Lets just hope the theme music from Jaws does not scare the game away before you can get the shot off...

dun duh

dun duh

dun duh

dun duh dun duh dun duh... Big Grin

Here is the "Sharkee Bullet" Mascott thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a "Grand White" to me, perfect logo for the S&H(ark) Granded bullets. SHark Bullets are SHarp. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey! Since everyone and their dog Spot has a .375" of sorts, I might actually be able to do a long enough run to pay for the machine time for all these other wierdo bullets! Big Grin

Say Maybe 10,000 Sharkee Bullets in small boxes of 50 - 100 each.

Let's see what the Prof has to say when he gets back eh??

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Macifej,

Reply sent. Forgot to cc RIP though, and when its gone from hotmail, its gone. Maybe you can FW to RIP or cc him on any reply.

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can do!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
ok other than having stripes and being aggressive tiger sharks have unique jagged peeled back shape teeth...how appropriate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nasty looking teeth their Boomer!

Not something I want chasing me around the pool!