New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Baker title above them all.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lying here with a slipped disc with prospect to be ready again in late february 2019(started in November) I thought I must have something to entertain myself with. Been looking for a crisp copy of Sir Samuels Bakers book for years I now had nothing but time. One can find them, but most of them are ragged copies.

I was lucky to find this pair of 1st ed from 1890 in the US through HUntersbooks.com

They are tight and spine 99% intact.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 682 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
Nice find! I hope reading them takes your mind off of your slipped disc!

I tried to check out the web site, but I guess it should be hunterbooks.com

Yep...that's what it was.

http://www.hunterbooks.com/contact/

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Did I mention that I had a COMPLETE 17 vol. set of original Burton's translation of The "Arabian Nights"Only 1000 copies printed. Mine is 2 didget. Circa 1886,etc.Pull it up on line.you will find that broken (non complete sets) start at 3K.BFD,I find it great to withhold a real treasure until someone worthy comes along

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Did I mention that I had a COMPLETE 17 vol. set of original Burton's translation of The "Arabian Nights"Only 1000 copies printed. Mine is 2 didget. Circa 1886,etc.Pull it up on line.you will find that broken (non complete sets) start at 3K.BFD,I find it great to withhold a real treasure until someone worthy comes along

Thanks Normann. I saw the images of the complete set you have. Indeed it is a rare treasure and a please to own. The thing is about book collecting is it comes stealthy. You buy a book here & there an suddenly you realize you have to use floorspace to accomodate space. Then one begin to see..."I am a bookcollector"..In my case however it was my wife who complained about stacks piling up in the livingroom...haha.

All collectors are left with 2 choices. Sell before they plan to die or leave everything to the family. .:lol. And if it left to the familie some slick and smart guy will come around and say the collection is worth nothing but for a few bottles of snakeoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True,I have beau coup of signed 1st editions but my kids don't know or really care.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about ten extra copies of wild beast and their ways by Baker .They are reprints brand.New .That's an awesome book !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have mentioned this one before. "Stray Sport" + stamped in the inner leaf "The British Garrison in Malta,1896".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I have mentioned this one before. "Stray Sport" + stamped in the inner leaf "The British Garrison in Malta,1896".

I have found a nice 2vol set of 'Stray sport' 1st ed I might drop in the basket next year. I have found a book dealer who haven't updated his prices for many years.

Here yesterday I went through my Abebooks purchase list. I can overall say that over 14 years most bookprices have gone up. Some book cost the same as for 14 years ago but some books cost over 2x up what I paid and the rest have have a 15-20% increase in used book price. So overall in another 10-15 years time I guess I can start sell out and have a little sideincome along with a pension.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens,sounds like a good investment if the price is right.Spoke to my sons this evening when we did our Christmas family gathering + told them not to just sell off my books when I pass but LOOK,because there are financial treasures there. I think I made my point,but then again if I'm dead + they throw away a treasure it won't be my problem anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens,as you know we all have our preferences on where we spend our money.Yes I LOVE books but fine rifles as well.Case in point;about 40 odd years ago I did a turkey shoot in backwoods USA. I was using my Anshutz 54 + the locals were using what they had.They lost + got pissed.I was many years younger so I spoke my mind. "You jacklegs spend all your $$ on truck stuff while I spend mine on quality weapons; I.E.you made your choice of preference;don't bitch at me because you don't know how to shoot.I must add that this was a charity turkey shoot for the volunteer fire dept.
I gave ALL the winnings back to the fire dept. to sell again. Right is right after all.I miss those days.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jens, zero collector value of course, but I have read and re-read my Wolfe Publishing reprint of "Wild Beasts and Their Ways" and refer to it often. Extremely useful and specific load recommendations for black powder cartridge firearms.
Also find his "Nile Tributaries of Abyssinia" most fascinating.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote