New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold and hunger coming to America?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are asking me then I do not know as I do not have any rivers on the property. I do have two wet weather creeks and a large spring fed pond. I've never had anyone come and tell me there isn't something I can't do out here but I just may be unaware of regs?

Locally I see cattle wallowing and crapping in the rivers and streams where when I lived in other states this was not allowed.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although there are a lot of property owners who like to deny this, by law the waterways of Texas are public domain. he state legislature has been working for years trying the change the law to meter every private water well in the state. My 1st reaction to that was being indinent but on more thought we have so many newcomers that think they deserve a golf course lawn out here in the country + we are all on the same water table. So I much prefer having water to drink + could care less about this newby rich guys lawn.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean drinking water could be important to have. I build a good size pond then stocked it with catfish. I am on rual water system and have a well. To filter water I built a "Berky bucket". I use two different two gallon buckets. It will filter 3000 gallons then I can clean and it will do another 500 gallons. You can Google Berky Bucket and make your own. You can use 5 gallon buckets if you prefer. I use the 2. I pour it in a glass Olla with a spicket and we get our drinking water from it.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put dirty water in it if you wish and it will filter it just fine.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As suburbia grows rapidly all around you that is exactly what will happen. More laws, more golf courses, less water, more taxes, etc.

It's a shame when an area becomes 'popular'. All that results is destruction.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
Clean drinking water could be important to have. I build a good size pond then stocked it with catfish. I am on rual water system and have a well. To filter water I built a "Berky bucket". I use two different two gallon buckets. It will filter 3000 gallons then I can clean and it will do another 500 gallons. You can Google Berky Bucket and make your own. You can use 5 gallon buckets if you prefer. I use the 2. I pour it in a glass Olla with a spicket and we get our drinking water from it.

Jerry, I have heard of those things. A friend of mine has the metal version. My house is too small for one of these things but she has a huge kitchen and can keep it right on her counter top.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is too small also which is why I went with this set up so now I only have a 2 gallon glass ola on the counter.

www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, nice article on you in the recent "Garden & Gun" magazine. Well done!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
You can put dirty water in it if you wish and it will filter it just fine.

Pre filtering dirty water with some type of courser filter is highly recommended. As it well make the other filters last a lot longer..

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCG, thank you. Nickens did a 2 day interview. I was sure wondering how he was going to write it up. Dan Winters did a great job of photography specially since he did not have a lot to work with.

P DOG, I agree. Filters work much longer if you pre-filter.

www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is coming and it will not be a bad dream.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/ec...P6DCCe4acVdL_t4iDZhk

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it. I have a great friend in the cattle business in Omaha + his best news is thank God I'll be dead soon + not have to deal with this anymore. But Harry, like me worries about our grandkids.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But Harry, like me worries about our grandkids.

I try and give my grand kids the best knowledge I can.

They then face the world as they grow up .

Just like every other generation has.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is happening to ranchers is only the small picture. If you took a moment to read that article and digest the time frame of producing a beef you will immediately be concerned. If you aren't, you should be. Even worse, the reduction of breeding stock.

The situation will affect every aspect of what shows up in your supermarket and it looks like it will be long term. Our govt is sending our tax money and oil reserves overseas and allowing millions of poor illegals into our interior. Makes zero sense when things will continue to get worse here at 'home' and no assistance is put towards our food production. No fertilizer... Wow, just think if that continues for a few years. I think it will, actually, and govt has done nothing to correct the issue.

If you aren't growing, hunting, preserving and stocking up it will be too late very soon. Just remember, we've had a lot of bare shelves already for two years. Sure, people are getting used to it. Pretty sad! What most cannot conceive as well is how much you need to produce to feed a family when it isn't on a store shelf.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid + we were stationed in Germany it was not long after the war + the average German family gardened an approximate 4' square plot to feed their family. + of course my mom remembers the "Victory Gardens" they had here during the war.