New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold and hunger coming to America?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heat and drought this year. Even though I garden in containers with water reservoirs in each container the plants transpire so much I have to fill them every couple of days.

I have four watermelons developing so far. It always shocks me how fast they grow.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet, they will grow great as long as they have a reliable water source. I have had minimum luck with watermelons + None with cantaloupes which require a sandy soil + mine is mostly alkaline which does make the world's best tomatoes, peppers,cilantro, onions, garlic + tomatillos. The best salsa base! Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up north we suffer from a short growing season to have much luck with melon's of any kind.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to a dairy farmer on Friday that I have known for 30 years. The topic of feed prices came up. Test Alfalfa for dairies cost him over $475 delivered. Straw is over $200. Crap hay that would need to be chopped to feed it is $385 in the field. Not unusual for dairies to have a $2 million feed bill per month.
Diesel is down to $6.50 and red diesel was $6.00 last month.

quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
https://thefederalistpapers.or...xZpEIciSldihF4N51pOE

Have any of you notice how many 'Americans' rely on food banks and other handouts? Now I know everyone here on this forum does not fit into such a category and that many here are relatively wealthy but the rest of us for sure do okay.

We are smart enough to know that rising fuel prices affect everything. We've had two years now of getting used to supply chain issues. I've thought for awhile things were really going to get bad and signs seem to agree.

While splitting wood yesterday I contemplated the situation as well as the link to that article. I will certainly be warm come winter and produce most of my own food. So where does that leave most people? I think some will realize what real hunger and what being cold really means. It's been many generations since families needed to bundle up to stay warm inside their homes. Many may be looking at the cost of food vs the cost of paying their heat bill. Truly awful.

What's worse is these people have zero life skills. They are largely dependent on the land of plenty providing for them.

I've seen people complaining about the cost of rent and LACK of rental housing available every time an article gets posted in the local news media pages about this. I wonder if it ever occurred to these people the reason why there is no where to live? Here's my thought on that. Where do we think the MILLIONS of illegals being flown and bused all over this country are going?

Confused

Yeah, filling up rentals which govt and NGO's are paying for.

Now back to the rising costs of things. ALL grains are going to be insane in prices. Hay will also double at minimum. Something as simple as store bought bread may also double or better.

These are not good thoughts.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there will be any second cutting hay in my area this year. Temps in the high nineties and hundreds and no rain for months. It's like a blast furnace walking outside in the afternoon.

Ranchers will be dumping livestock soon. No pasture left and everyone is already feeding hay. There will be nothing to feed them come winter.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will get a crystal-clear picture of our future this fall and winter, as we watch Europe descend into HELL.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are having wildfires around here + a buddy up in Comanche Co. says they have been having a bunch as well + to top that off a lot of the folks that are supposed to be helping move livestock to keep from burning up are stealing the stock. Now I'm sure that it is a high stress situation but I would like to think that I would get SOME identification of anyone hauling off a trailer load of my stock. We are seeing this everywhere; there is no honesty these days.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He also mentioned that they think that there might be a 'firebug'out there starting those fires. He says the general consensus on the locals on facebook is that they are ready to start shooting folks that look like they might be starting fires. Can't say I blame them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NormanConquest:

We are seeing this everywhere; there is no honesty these days.[/QUOTE}

"The Fish STINKS from the Head" Translation: If leaders (be they Corporate or Government) are corrupt or of low moral character it rots on down.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are seeing this everywhere; there is no honesty these days.

We went through a hay day of good living in this country mostly from the end of the Indian wars to the early 80's.

Most of rural American was Mayberry. The area I grew up in had a sheriff and two deputies,

For one of the largest counties in the state area size.

The jail had a couple of cells the sheriff lived there.

With the push for the government to solve every problem.

Came the "need" for more law enforcement.

Less independence more help me I can't do it myself.

I dispatched for the SO before I became a patrol deputy.

Some of the calls we got for help wow.

Made one wonder how these people ever lived beyond 5yoa.

With the demands for help came a large increase of personnel to met them.

From my start to now we went from a six man department to a 60 man one.

From that small jail to one that can hold close to a hundred.

The population has not increased all that much.

But the demographics have. We went from mostly small farms highly independent people.

To mostly do every thing for me types.

One cannot retain there independence when one expects the government to do things for you.

Zoning is one of those areas. It has given the government great power over peoples life's.

Please give me permission to do something on my property.

I could go on.

RANT off

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Zoning is one of those areas. It has given the government great power over peoples life's.

Please give me permission to do something on my property.

I am fortunate there is no zoning where I live. I can do what ever I want out here. Zoning laws are another way to tax people.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P-dog, how well I can relate. When I moved here in 1970 we still had crank telephones (really), a volunteer fire dept. + one old constable named Lee Hays, who drove an old 59 Impala with his little cherry on the dash, 38 snubby + badge. He was illiterate + when papers needed to be served took his wife, who could read. One lane roads + all; that's why I fell in love with this piece of historic old Americana. One case in point here was that a few of us were sitting up at the local cafe + someone came in + said to Lee (the constable), "Lee, there's a bunch of hippies skinny dipping down at the blue hole + you need to go do + something about it!" Well, Lee left the cafe, took off his badge + gun + the little red cherry off his dash + went down to the river + said, "Hey you kids, somebody has called the law on you, ya'll better get out of here quick." They all replied, "Thanks old man" + left in a rush.Lee went back to the cafe + finished his coffee. NO arrests + no drama but the problem was solved by an illiterate old man who had common sense on how to deal with situations. Those were the days. Now that all the transplants have moved in, they have imported cops from other areas who don't know any of the locals + it is starting to get a bit draconian. Mores the pity but I see the same thing nationwide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the zoning issue; I am out in the country (for now) + I have my commercial sheet metal shop on my property. So far that has not been a problem but the taxman never sleeps. Even though I'm retired, I don't want to sell all my equipment. Who knows? I think that the thing that pisses me off the most is that the tax people act like it's their money. I have yet to to see any of them help me build a building, fix the driveway, ad nauseum; but by God, their hand is out for other projects that don't concern me; + will steal my home + property if I don't comply.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no use for city folks who move to the country.

For country life

Then want to change every thing so their life is like the one they left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, sure sounds like your small town days were wonderful.

I don't need a permit or permission to build anything on my property. I don't even have to tell the county. They come by once a year to see what you built, if anything, and go from there. I reckon they use google maps too. Property taxes are very low here.

I don't need to call to burn brush, need no permission to cut down trees, dig holes, bulldoze, build a house, build a shed or a barn, etc. None of it needs to be inspected to 'pass' for permission to use it. I can open the door and let the sound of freedom fly in any direction and no one would notice or care.

It's hard to find places like this anymore. Truly sad!

~Ann