New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corbett film
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm almost 69. Around forty years ago I watched what would now be called a docudrama about Jim Corbett. I'm pretty sure it was on PBS and probably BBC produced. Is anyone familiar with this and where I might obtain a copy? Thanks captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1986, the BBC produced a docudrama titled Man-Eaters of India with Frederick Treves in the role of Jim Corbett.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/jimco...os/1027946677315694/

Here is the movie.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have a copy. National Geographic was the producer.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. You are an angel. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Corbett's books were always a favorite of mine. I am planning a trip to India later in the fall. Kaziranga NP and Ranthambhore parks are on the agenda. Corbett NP has apparently become a party location for some of the younger generation, and I am not scheduling it at this point.
Corbett's family moved between summer in the foothills of the Himalayas and winter further South. Rudrapayag is further North than Srinagar, but the one bridge is still there on googleEarth.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Other lesser known parks that are really good are Kabini Lodge in Nagahole in the South India, Tadoba- Andhari Tiger reserve, Maharashtra and Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh

Kahna and Pench are also good.

We found Kabini / Nagarhole amazing. Very high density of big cats.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the first part.This is a anti hunting film.I enjoyed reading Corbett's books for the most part but he still comes across as an asshole to me.He thinks that he should be the only one to hunt tigers.Once he shot who knows how many-something that was reserved more or less for the very wealthy he then tells people from here on they should hunt with a camera instead.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not sure how you came up with that idea. Several times in his books he mentions other hunters and their abilities. He often hunted with other people.

He didn't seem to big headed to me. Instead he seemed to not want the notoriety.

I can't blame him much for asking that he be the only one in an area hunting a particular man eater. The reason he said was that it was too easy to accidentally get shot. Makes sense to me.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2797 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have read the books Shootaway but not understood them . Corbett did not prevent others hunting and he preferred hunting alone as he did not want to worry about others as hunting man eaters was very difficult. I suspect not a lot of people wanted to hunt man eaters on foot. My reading he hunted at other people's request to save lives.
Insulting a man like Corbett says more about you

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'll have to read his books again, I have not read them since I was in grade school.

I thought he was impressive then.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Not sure how you came up with that idea. Several times in his books he mentions other hunters and their abilities. He often hunted with other people.

He didn't seem to big headed to me. Instead he seemed to not want the notoriety.

I can't blame him much for asking that he be the only one in an area hunting a particular man eater. The reason he said was that it was too easy to accidentally get shot. Makes sense to me.

Other hunters also tended to screw up his sets and spook his quarry.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9580 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote