THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIRD SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bird Shooting    From the jungles of Yucatan - Ocellated Turkey

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the jungles of Yucatan - Ocellated Turkey
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted
A little while ago I was fortunate enough to collect some jungle bird species in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico.

This was a hot hunt (100 deg + temps) in the jungle. A lot of my blood, sweat, tears (from tick bites ) went into this hunt....crawling on all fours, walking on dry leaves (imagine what would sound like if you walked on potato chips)....really really great memories associated to this hunt....did I mention it was hot in the jungle Big Grin

Some closeups of the bird.

Just received the bird from our Taxidermy shop. If you ever feel like going to hunt one for your trophy room just drop me a line.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Great mount! What a bird!

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Beautiful!

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Never knew such a beautuful turkey existed!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Speaking as an Englishman who's never even seen a wild turkey, I've always battled to understand the American fascination with turkey hunting.... that isn't a criticism at all it's just that it somehow puzzles me..... but seeing those pics makes even me want to get out there and hunt for them.

Also a stunningly beautiful mount!! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Collector,
I saw one of these birds for the first time at my taxidermy shop about 2 weeks ago...I have zero interest in hunting birds especially turkeys, but after seeing the feathers at the taxidermist, and your mount, WOW is all I can say....

That has to be the most beautiful bird I've ever seen, and I want one!!!!!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The Merriam pales in comparison....good on ya...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Speaking as an Englishman who's never even seen a wild turkey, I've always battled to understand the American fascination with turkey hunting.... that isn't a criticism at all it's just that it somehow puzzles me..... but seeing those pics makes even me want to get out there and hunt for them.

Also a stunningly beautiful mount!! tu2

Your right, it's hard to understand why they hunt turkey. But I can imagine that it is fun to hunt in the forests of yucatan.
I've visited Chichén Itzá a couple of years ago and i loved the forest.
I would love to see some pics of the jungle! Is there other game to hunt?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thank you all...glad you liked the pics.

@shakari
So we do not understand Cricket...you do not understand Turkey hunting....now we are even Smiler

All joking aside what you are referring to is Wild Turkey which has 5 sub-species:
1) Eastern Turkey
2) Rio Grande Turkey
3) Merriam's Turkey
4) Gould's Turkey
5) Osceola Turkey (found only in the state of Florida)

In many states (such as Pennsylvania) Turkey is classified as "Big Game" along with White-tail Deer and not as a bird.

Americans love it because it is a trophy hunt. You go after one bird, a mature male, the bird is very very intelligent and it is hard to trick them. Many people are addicted to Turkey Hunting and it gets in your blood. At one point in time American History both Bald Eagle and the Wild Turkey were being considered as options for the national symbol...Bald Eagle won.

Ok so there are only two species of Turkey in the world. Wild Turkey which I just explained earlier with its 5 sub-species and then the second full species of Turkey is the Ocellated Turkey.

Ocellated Turkey is not a North American bird...it is more of a Central American bird. Ocellated Turkey does not gobble like the Wild Turkey...rather it has a song. Hunting methods are also quite different and you can hunt them in jungle (very exciting hunt...think Cameroon) or near the farmlands (think plainsgame in Eastern Cape).

@Oryxhunter1983
Ocellated turkey hunting takes place in Spring (Apr/May) let me know whenever you would like to go and I will give you the run down.

@Caracal
Yes...hunting in jungles of Yucatan is absolutely fantastic. The area we hunt in is a Jaguar preserve quarter million acres in size, if you are lucky you have a very good chance of seeing a Jaguar (early morning or evening) as well as Tapirs (which are really funky looking animals).

On the Ocellated Turkey hunt you can also hunt:
- Collared Peccary (kind of a small bush pig)
- Brocket Deer
- Coatimundi

Also some other trophy bird species which I will post in this forum as time permits.

You only get one permit per species. And you pay the trophy fees after you harvest the species/pull the trigger. I will dig out some pics of the hunt for you...stay tuned.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@Caracal

Here are some pics from the Yucatan hunt that you requested.

Making our way to a water hole in search of Ocellated Turkey. This was a 2 hour trek each way from the camp. Temp under the shade a bit over 100 deg F.

Scouts taking a break after a couple of hours of walking.

Clearing up some dead wood. This was on an old logging road used to access the rubber trees deep in the jungle. But it had not been used in a long time.

That time of the year...there were lots and lots of controlled burns.

Sunset.

Collared Peccary.

Brocket Deer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does the turkey mount not have a certain "Aztec look" to it? That was the first thing I thought. A hint of the Aztec culture and expressiveness. The colors and how they all fit together - I can see how images of this bird could be found (if they are) on ancient Indian temples or the like down there or how its coloraton could have been copied for other uses.

I don't know, maybe it's just me it struck that way. It's certainly very interesting and very beautiful.

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shack, glad you liked the mount.

BASE & HABITAT:
You must be a detective of sorts....I am impressed...really. Imagine if this bird was just sitting on a log...it would have been an ok mount but not a really good one. Base & Habitat really enhance the quality of presentation. In many cases good taxidermists will charge more for a base & habitat (yes, they are two different things that work as one) than the bird itself.

The area where we hunt is a bit far from Aztec culture but it is right in the middle of the ancient Mayan culture. You would be walking for hours and in the middle of nowhere amongst the trees you will see a ruin...old stones with plants protruding out of them. Check out this picture....the black "pipes" are burnt trees.

Up close you will see an integration of rock and plants...so this was the building block for this mount. Not totally unique as I am sure you have seen variations of it...but the textures and the colors and definitely Mayan...from the Yucatan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mayan. I almost said Incan, then remembered that's S. America, then guessed Aztec as being Mexican. But, you know what I was trying to say...it does have a certain something that seemingly fits..one look and you think "this is not just another bird from the Mississippi Delta".

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Yes absolutely...you were right on !!!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector:
@shakari
So we do not understand Cricket...you do not understand Turkey hunting....now we are even Smiler

That's actually a very good way of putting it! tu2

This hunt has just gone on my bucket list BTW! tu2

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Stunning. Wonder what the population of jaguar and tapir is in the Yucatan?

That also looks like a very large brocket deer.
Many caiman or crocodiles?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Stunning. Wonder what the population of jaguar and tapir is in the Yucatan?

That interests me, too. I would love to stalk both with my camera but don't know where/how to start.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool, collector.....I really like the idea of some type of combo hunt down there.....one of these years.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Collector: a big thank you. I really enjoy your posts and the awesome pics that accompany your words. Keep it up, though, and I'm liable to book a bird hunt with you. Fair warning! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
@SGraves155
Both species are endangered, the UMA (Hunting Concession) we hunt has:
- 5 Jaguars
- 8 Forest Cougars
- 20+ Tapirs (always around waterholes)
- Peccary (you see them in singles or small groups of 5)
- Coatimundi (usually in big groups)

@Norton
It is a fun hunt if you are willing to walk in 100 plus temps. Hard hunt for sure. Just a lot of walking involved.

@Kamo Gari
Very welcome sir. I enjoy your equally educating posts as well.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Never knew such a beautuful turkey existed!

Same here!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote