Find
Notify
Tools

Boston harbor today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
A couple pics. Will post a little write-up after nap time, but we smashed the birds and picked up bass until we got hungry. Casting and blasting is hungry work. Sometimes. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Stunning Photo!!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
KG, those are terrific photos.

In the bottom one, I can see Castle Island over your right shoulder and the entire Financial District to your left!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Simply AWESOME!!!

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
KG, those are terrific photos.

In the bottom one, I can see Castle Island over your right shoulder and the entire Financial District to your left!

Hiya Mike,

Actually, I'm the one taking the pictures. That ugly bastard is my buddy. Smiler But thanks to you and others for the kind words. We were two birds short of our 14 bird limit inside an hour. Then we switched to fish, and boated blues and bass for a few hours. Looky at what we caught on a cast (we chase the working birds, and cast into the blitzes). His wing got caught up in the braid. Bonus bird, known as a GU eleven, or great white sea goose. Wink He
wasn't amused, but was released after a few pics of his indignant self.

And yep, you're dead on with your geography. I hunt and fish practically within sight of my office downtown. Here are a couple more, feauturing our trusty assistant and the bonus bird. Also taken from the same area last week was this bass. Must have been a beer drinker. Wink

A little pecker:

A wws in the blocks

A hahbah piggy (and no, that's not me either!) Wink

Cheers,

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Hey thay looks like a great time! Nice photos.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
kg , wow , you seem to have it all worked out ...its all there for the taking and as i say "the difference people who are doing it and those who are talking about doing it is that some of them are doing it !!!! would love to do that shoot someday ...how long is the season ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Ivan, we are blessed with a nice long season here. We hunt waterfowl from September-February (early and late seasons included). The main season runs October-January, usually. Seaducking only gets better as the season (and cold) come on. We won't see many big numbers of prime eider until maybe December, but then it's ON. The lousier the weather, the better the hunting. Picture yourself rocking and rolling in a layout boat, laying flat on your back in the ocean in a craft anchored to the bottom, with 2 footers bouncing off the hull. You've got the occasional wave coming up over the skirt dumping water in your lap, oftentimes in air temps of 10F, sometimes with heavy snow blowing sideways. You begin to think that you're certifiably insane. Right up until you focus on a blur coming towards you, and slowly realize that the blur is a flock of bull eider 100 strong barreling in intent on landing on your head. Some people think it's suicidal. We think it's a fooking fabulous way to spend a deep winter morning.

Cheers,

KG wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari:

"You begin to think that you're certifiably insane". (Kamo Gari,10/19/07 post)

That's a given, of course, for all duck hunters but does does that make you a bad person? Smiler

That photo of you holding up birds with the Boston skyline in the background was absolutely astounding to this quite old New Yorker. Over a hundred years ago my paternal grandfather shot ducks on the Harlem river in New York City. Suffice to say that there is no duck hunting on the Harlem river today. The people responsible for your hunting ducks in sight of a major city in the Northeast are very deserving of plaudits.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
The people responsible for your hunting ducks in sight of a major city in the Northeast are very deserving of plaudits.

Yes, they are. To give you an idea of whom we have to thank, see below. Those old guys must have been hunters!

Colonial Ordinances of 1641-1647 (Massachusetts)

"Every inhabitant . . . shall have free fishing and fowling, in any Great Ponds, bays, coves and rivers so far as the sea ebbs and flows . . ."

Public trust doctrine. As long as we mind the modern better than 500' from a 'dwelling in use' to discharge law, we're legal to hunt fowl (and fish) anywhere on the coast beneath the high tide mark. You'd probably not be surprised at how many people (including cops--especially cops, actually) have no idea what the law is. They've come out before sometimes to hassle us, but armed with knowledge of the law (and the number to the MA EPO field office), we set them straight PDQ, and send them on their way. Much to their chargrin, in many cases. Tough darts!

That's neat stuff about your grandpa. Too bad it slipped away. I guess my buddies and I are doing our part to keep tradition alive, as it were. Smiler

Cheers,

KG

P.S. So, how are dem Yanks of yours enjoying their vacation, bud? wave rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kamo Gari:

As a retired lawyer I enjoyed your authority for being allowed to hunt.

I was pained at your reference to the Yankees. Now, have we New Yorkers ever made any reference to your long "Babe Ruth" exile? Oh, maybe a few references here and there but nothing you couldn't ignore.

Regards

Gerry

P.S. We will be back and then you guys can go back to blaming it all on trading Babe Ruth. Oh, wait. You'll have a new name - Manny Ramirez - for saying " Who cares?" Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

You're a good sport. If you ever make it up to the Bean and would like to, you've got a spot in the blind with us. Please be advised that should you choose to bring any evil empire (Yankees) garb with you, your spot will have to be next to the dog, who conducts a series of thorough shakings after every retrieve...You have been warned. Smiler GO SOX!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
12-2 and the Colonial Ordinance. We win.

Today, or tonight, anyway. thumb

But the price of liberty is eternal vigilance, and the right phone number!

WTG, KG!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics KG.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote