New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not paying tip Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
What I want to know is who says you have to pay a tip? Its not my fault that restuarants don't pay their employees enough. They should be required to pay them like everyone else. If I go to Lowe's I don't live an 18% tip or whatever I shouldn't have to at a restuarant either.

Patrons claim service was so bad, they had to get napkins and silverware for themselves
By DAVID CHANG
Updated 12:20 PM EST, Thu, Nov 19, 2009

If you’re frustrated by poor service at a restaurant, think twice before you decide to not tip. You may be in for a bit more than just a dirty look from the waiter.

"Nobody, nobody wants to be forced to pay a tip or be arrested for terrible service," Leslie Pope said when her happy hour ended in handcuffs.

Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Pope claimed that they had to wait nearly an hour for their order and that she had to get napkins and silverware for the table herself.

“At this point I became very annoyed because I had already gone up to the bar myself to have my soda refilled because the waitress never came back,” Pope said.

After the $73 bill came, the group paid for food, drinks, and tax but refused to pay the tip. After explaining the bad service to the bartender in charge, Pope claimed he took their money and called police. The couple was handcuffed and placed in the back of a police car.

“I understand that, you know, we didn’t pay the gratuity, but it was a gratuity, it wasn’t something that was required,” said Wagner.

The owner admitted that the group waited unusually long for their food, but said the pub was extremely busy that night. He said managers offered to comp the food, a claim the couple denies ever happened.

“Obviously we would have liked for the patron and the establishment to have worked this out without getting the police involved,” said Deputy Police Commissioner Stuart Bedics.

Police charged them with theft since the gratuity was part of the actual bill. However, it is doubtful that the charges will hold up in front of a judge. The couple is scheduled to appear in court next month

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Gratuity--" a gift or reward for services rendered"

Sounds like they got arrested because they refused to give a gift for bad service? Hope they sue the bar and the city.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was them, I'd get a helluva lot more than a free meal before my lawyer was through with this fiasco.

Personally the "added gratuity", typically specified for larger groups of 6 or more down here in the South, really pisses me off and I prefer not to go to places that have that policy. That said, it almost always saves me money, since I rarely tip as low as their percentages and IF the gratuitiy is added I almost NEVER go above it, unless the service was truly exceptional.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I believe if a person leaves a tip at all it should be based on quality of services recieved.

I believe if I want to leave 5%, 10%, 25% or no tip at all that is up to me and im not aware of any laws that say I have to leave a tip period; especially for horrendous service.

I ate in cracker barrel the other day and it wasn't all that busy but it took a very long time to get our food. The waitress said one of their cooks didn't come in that day. I didn't ask why. In that case I know it is not the waitress's fault. She did a good job with the drinks etc. so I still tipped the same.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I'm not aware of any laws that say I have to leave a tip period; especially for horrendous service.

You have just given our beloved government an avenue to help offset the staggering costs of nazional healhscare. We will be forced, upon pain of imprisonment, to tip the doctors and various staff when we go in for our top-notch, never-a-wait healthscare. I can see it coming our way in an amendment that will be added to the bill at some future date once it becomes law...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Why did they remain there and wait for the cops? They were detained by the authority of a bartender and restaurant mangr.? bewildered

I'd say the real management of that establishment, aka the owner, should fire that manager and the waitress and bartender. Then send these people a handwritten letter of apology telling them what he's done to rectify the situation along with a rather large gift card to the restaurant. At least that is how I choose to run my business.

I wonder if that mgr was an MBA. Those kids are about worthless. A friends wife manages a Starbucks and is absolutely convinced that what they sell is coffee. She doesn't understand that no cup of coffee is worth $5. This rest. mgr. probably thinks that the rest. sells food. When hired, they should have it explained in no uncertain terms that what they are really selling is a feeling and an experience provided through service. Problem solved.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
...I'm not aware of any laws that say I have to leave a tip period; especially for horrendous service.

You have just given our beloved government an avenue to help offset the staggering costs of nazional healhscare. We will be forced, upon pain of imprisonment, to tip the doctors and various staff when we go in for our top-notch, never-a-wait healthscare. I can see it coming our way in an amendment that will be added to the bill at some future date once it becomes law...

Hey Dumbass- keep it in the poli forum.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why did the police arrest them??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Why did the police arrest them??

quote:
Pope and John Wagner were hauled away by police and charged with theft for not paying the mandatory 18 percent gratuity totaling $16 after eating at the Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa. with six friends.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lehigh Pub in Bethlehem, Pa.

more on this:
the charges dropped:
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com...ouple--71865807.html

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The restaurant will wish they'd comped them and given them a bottle of wine to take home before it's over. If nothing else, the negative publicity has cost them dearly IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have also fired the idiot pub lawyer.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote