Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rest In Peace Kirk Douglas Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
My granddad liked him but was not his favorite movie star. My granddad did think he was the most handsome movie star of his era.

He did some marketing hunting in Africa in the 1960s and then was anti hunting.

I feel a era has past and I also feel old today.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...glas-dead-103-family

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home...g-ive-ever-done.html

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I loved Kirk Douglas' acting. The gusto, passion and bravado exhibited by him in his movies was second to none. One of the great actors of our time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought he overacted most of the time, but if you look at the old movies, the actors of that era mostly did overact.

Russell Crowe is my favorite Gladiator, but Douglas comes in a close second. He MADE Spartacus what it was.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
RIP Kirk. He made one helluva lot of good movies but I think my favorites were "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" + "The Vikings.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, + in the for what its worth department, my mother in law was born on the same day + year as Kirk Douglas, + was her favorite actor. She passed this last August.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I loved Kirk Douglas' acting. The gusto, passion and bravado exhibited by him in his movies was second to none. One of the great actors of our time.

tu2

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
He was really good in the Man from Snowy River. Playing both parts of the brothers.

His "woke" feelings about his 30 year old self hunting in Africa in the 1960's are just stupid.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Before you guys get too misty eyed over the passing of this Hollyweird douchebag, I'll offer this old thread for reference:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...121002312#2121002312

Personally, I thought his acting was meh. I despise his attempts to grab the limelight one last time at age 98 by putting down current hunters through self loathing of his own exploits.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
At least we still have Corey Booker.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember when Ann Hathaway hosted the Oscar’s some time ago. Hey had Kirk Douglas say a few words. He would have been on the back side of 90.

The camera cut to her after he finished. She was bent over double, horse laughing. Her retort.”Oscars, we are a younger audience.”

She will never pay for diner with my money after that.

My favorite Kirk Douglas movie, “Bad and the Beautiful.”

He made five films with Duke Wayne. The best was “In Harms Way.” I think that was Duke’s first film after his first cancer diagnosis was announced.

You all need to look up an interview he gave to a British tv guy. Douglas was very respectful to Duke.

He did a movie forget the title with Robert Mitchum where Kirk Douglas was paid 25k a week. Mitchum was paid 15K per week. Mitchum is well known for being at best moody. Well, Kirk Douglas gave him heel the whole shoot about Douglas making 25k and Mitchum only making 15K.

I think that films name was, “Out of the Past.”

Posts: 10845 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seven Days in May with Burt Lancaster.

Jean Simmons had three big movies with the big stars from 57 to 1960. The Big Country with Gregory Peck, Elmer Gantry with Burt Lancaster and Spartacus 1960.

Ace in the Hole is one of my favourite Douglas movies.

Every impersonator can do Cagney, Bogart, Robinson, Lancaster, Douglas and so on. Imagine trying to do Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt.

The great Frank Gorshin doing Lancaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnrTMbCjAWQ&t=14s

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites that I forgot to mention is "Lonely Are The Brave" from Edward Abbey's book "The Brave Cowboy".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
One of my favorites that I forgot to mention is "Lonely Are The Brave" from Edward Abbey's book "The Brave Cowboy".

I think that was also his favourite picture he made.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand why. I have been a fan of Edward Abbey's books for over 40 years; we seem to have the same attitude of distrust + disgust of the "powers that be."