THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hollywood Star Kirk Douglas Regrets Game Hunting in Kenya
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollywood Star Kirk Douglas Regrets Game Hunting in Kenya
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201508110737.html

Kenya: Hollywood Star Kirk Douglas Regrets Game Hunting in Kenya

By Elly Gitau

American actor Kirk Douglas has described his wild game hunting in Kenya 50 years ago as "the most stupid thing I've ever done." His comments came after the killing of 'Cecil the lion' in Zimbabwe two weeks ago, which has since sparked worldwide outrage, especially from conservationists and animal rights activists.

The 98-year-old actor wrote a blog post for The Huffington Post last week, describing his feelings of triumph, and eventual disappointment and shame, after his first - and only - wild game hunt in the country half a century ago.

"I remember being drunk with power as I softly pulled the trigger of my high-powered rifle and watched a leopard, a gazelle, an oryx, a zebra and other defenseless animals fall to the ground," he wrote.

As reported by The People magazine, a photographer was present, documenting the trip for a book called Great Hunts and the animals Douglas killed were shipped home and mounted in his projection room.

He continued, "One day I looked up and all my trophies seemed to be staring at me. I realised how obscene it was to kill them. I quickly got rid of all the 'trophies' and tried to forget the sin that I had committed."

After seeing the outcry over Cecil's killing, Douglas believes that Dr Walter Palmer (the Minnesota dentist who killed the 13-year-old lion) is definitely paying for his "inexcusable" actions.

"He is being hunted much like he stalked his prey. But he is not alone, many people hunt and kill wild animals for sport. That must be stopped."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People like this should not have hunted in the first place.Hunting never meant much to them in the first place.That is all I can say.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like the women who are popping up 40 years later to jump on Bill Cosby. If it was such a terrible thing to do back then - why in God's name didn't you say something half a century ago?

Publicity?

Name in paper?

Douglas who played a sailor on 20,000 Leagues Under the sea, where he and Capt. Nemo ran around sinking ships? You didn't like the safari?

Really?
Really?
Really?
I believe in the Tooth Fairy, too.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, the guy changed his views/philosphy. Sometimes as one gets older his views on the values of life change. Just because I/we don't agree with his views doesn't mean he is not entitled to them.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot a world record lion if he was standing in front of me unless he was trying to make a meal of me or others. However, that doesn't mean that I oppose other's legal killing of lions.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to hell with him and Roger Moore, Ricky Gervais and all the celebrities who can hit their ass with both hands. He complains and cries 50 years after the fact. There is a reason he hunted. Bullshit.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Back in those days all the Hollywood stars hunted Africa, some because they really were hunters and some because it was necessary at the time to get your 'man card'. Things were sure different then, because for the most part the public was very interested in African hunting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could give two flying schitts what Kirk Douglas, or any other Hollywood loser has to say.....about anything.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Isn't it unfortunate that a person gets credibility in the press just because they have the cachet of name recognition.
I wish someone with similar stature would step up and make a press release statement to counter this statement of latent lament.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Stewart did the same thing, went on several safaris and when he got old regretted it.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can completely sympathize with Kirk Douglas; because as I get older I find myself regretting having watched his films.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also changed my opinion of many things I did in my past.
But I really do not care what any celebrity thinks about anything. (unless they agree with me) Cool

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a couple copies of that book. It was one of my favorite books as a child and I have probably read it cover to cover a couple hundred times.

Douglas is a has been who is trying to shine light on himself. He was never a hunter, and should have never went on a safari to begin with.

The was given a gift of the 264 Winchester from True Magazine and probably the safari as well. Those details will probably escape the populous.

I hate to see people like him who aren't into it be pushed into it for a status and then regret it.

I would have had more respect for him if he just decided after killing the first animal he wasn't going to hunt anymore.

The name of the book is "Great True Hunts" or something like that. It was a True Magazine publication in the 1950s. Roger Fosset, Roy Rogers, HRH Pahlavi, The reigning Greek King, the reigning Danish Prince, and a folks are in it.

I have at least two copies, I buy them whenever they pop up. Not sure why but I like keeping them.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
98 years old and Movie Star is all that is necessary here. Simply an old man trying to make one last grab for fame.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Many famous hunters transitioned from hunting to photography/conservationists after a number of years hunting, most notably Corbett.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I remember being drunk with power as I softly pulled the trigger of my high-powered rifle and watched a leopard, a gazelle, an oryx, a zebra and other defenseless animals fall to the ground," he wrote. "One day I looked up and all my trophies seemed to be staring at me. I realised how obscene it was to kill them."
I regret setting my sights on an elephant of a lady years ago. I remember being drunk with power as I softly pulled her to me and watched as she smiled and defenselessly fell back on the ground. But one day I looked up and all the ugly women I had been with seemed to be staring at me. I realized how obscene it was.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my old man were alive he would tell you in no uncertain terms about this man's manipulative make believe profession and question his religion. The world is a lesser place without my father.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
"I remember being drunk with power as I softly pulled the trigger of my high-powered rifle and watched a leopard, a gazelle, an oryx, a zebra and other defenseless animals fall to the ground," he wrote. "One day I looked up and all my trophies seemed to be staring at me. I realised how obscene it was to kill them."
I regret setting my sights on an elephant of a lady years ago. I remember being drunk with power as I softly pulled her to me and watched as she smiled and defenselessly fell back on the ground. But one day I looked up and all the ugly women I had been with seemed to be staring at me. I realized how obscene it was.

Fat chicks need love too. Don't beat your self up....

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I have read all of Corbett's books and have never decided whether he would have called himself a hunter more than a naturalist/the most knowledgeable student of flora and fauna I have ever known. I don't believe that he ever wanted to hunt leopard or tiger, absent his very early youth for a leopard. I could be wrong but it is my impression. What a great man and personal hero to me. We are so poorer for his passing.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
People in Hollywood are mostly phonies. They have a platform and use it to tell others how the others should live even though many of them live lives that are far away from that of anyone else. Why people pay so much attention to what they say boggles my mind. Most in Hollywood have been on the politically correct WRONG side of everything.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Regrets are bullshit if you ask me.
It's in the past dummy, of course unless you have time machine...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just goes to show that you could be a famous actor,writer etc...and still be full of shit.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
They spend their entire lives pretending to be someone or something they are not.. They serve no meaningful purpose...

Real men and women know who they are and what they believe in. 99% of the actors and actresses are losers that never grew up, never accepted responsibility for their lives...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's nice, Kirk. Go back to sleep.....has hospice been called yet?

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kirk Douglas is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else on this site.

Being critical of the man and his comments serves no useful purpose.

People change their views all the time on
all kinds of matters after mature reflection.

Everyone should appreciate that thinking changes throughout life; what we though at 16 may be different at 18, 21 or 98 years !

I would also like to point out that many great names in former years regretted have killed so much wild game and as a consequence gave up hunting entirely.

The great Samuel Baker, who left a fine legacy of written work on hunting, including dangerous game, wrote that he was sorry he ever killed any elephant!

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
At the age of 54 years old, I realize my time is running out. I need to get in some more African hunts under my belt before I start regretting it. Roll Eyes

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He is being hunted much like he stalked his prey. But he is not alone, many people hunt and kill wild animals for sport. That must be stopped."

"Being critical of the man and his comments serves no useful purpose".

And herein lies our problem.....

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, people apologizing for hunts they did decades ago is helpful in keeping hunting alive into the future?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt for so many different reasons and I am not ashamed of it nor do I have kids that due to the crowd I hung out with found more excitement in drugs and filthy lifestyles.

I and my kids respect wildlife and respect the system that is in place to promote conservation practices that allows utilization of the ecosystem and animals that inhabit those areas. I have supported this system through money spent on licenses and so many donations to organized wildlife habitat promotions through out many venues including improving habitat on my own land. I have donated to good causes when I had extra to help in areas that I don't even live in nor have traveled or hunted to help in a small way with anti poaching.

I place value in this system as to date when respected by all it is the best way to have wild areas and wildlife.

I don't respect someone saying this system should be discarded. Then to discard this system and adopt the idea you don't like to hunt and all hunting should be stopped because you have aged and you saw a new light is bovine scat.

I wonder if Kirk truly paid for or had licenses for the animals he shot or was it some slick accounting maneuver that the studio did for him to keep him entertained and obviously portray him as something he was not a real hunter that tried to make things better taking a few aged excess animals to support the area he was hunting.

So many need to get real and realize to support the system for the wildlife and wild areas the hunting system works. Once, I at my age get my eyes back in order will be booking a safari for something. But if I don't get the eyeballs working as they should I will cherish the memories of the hunts I have been on and encourage my kids and others to get out and hunt. Knowing in my heart that I supported the system that does work to be carried forward.

Posts: 195 | Location: Douglas, Wyoming | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
People like this should not have hunted in the first place.Hunting never meant much to them in the first place.That is all I can say.

Shootaway,
You are 100% correct with that statement. They were trying to prove they were men's men...nothing more. thumbdown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F*&k Hollywierd!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
So, the guy changed his views/philosphy. Sometimes as one gets older his views on the values of life change. Just because I/we don't agree with his views doesn't mean he is not entitled to them.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot a world record lion if he was standing in front of me unless he was trying to make a meal of me or others. However, that doesn't mean that I oppose other's legal killing of lions.

It's one thing to change your views.

It's entirely another to state it in such a way to belittle others.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, Lane and so many others regarding this issue it is good to read your words.

Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As a group are hunters today willing to accept the idea that those that were able to experience things those of us today are trying to experience, should make statements that will or could deny us from being able to partake in what those people did?

Come on folks the future of hunting, world wide, depends upon the ability of future generations to be able to experience the same things us older hunters have experienced.

How many older hunters are ready and willing to take what we have experienced away from those following us, and I am fixing to be 65 and I DO NOT want to know that my generation was the LAST to enjoy what hunting meant to me.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

As a group are hunters today willing to accept the idea that those that were able to experience things those of us today are trying to experience, should make statements that will or could deny us from being able to partake in what those people did?

Come on folks the future of hunting, world wide, depends upon the ability of future generations to be able to experience the same things us older hunters have experienced.

How many older hunters are ready and willing to take what we have experienced away from those following us, and I am fixing to be 65 and I DO NOT want to know that my generation was the LAST to enjoy what hunting meant to me.

+1

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mackey:
Kirk Douglas is entitled to his opinion, just like everyone else on this site.

Being critical of the man and his comments serves no useful purpose.

People change their views all the time on
all kinds of matters after mature reflection.

Everyone should appreciate that thinking changes throughout life; what we though at 16 may be different at 18, 21 or 98 years !

I would also like to point out that many great names in former years regretted have killed so much wild game and as a consequence gave up hunting entirely.

The great Samuel Baker, who left a fine legacy of written work on hunting, including dangerous game, wrote that he was sorry he ever killed any elephant!

+1

I regret killing a wild lion so I can see how Kirk Douglas can regret his earlier hunting.

I also have no issues with proper wild lion hunting - just no desire to ever do it again regardless if I am being paid to do it.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Muhammad Ali said, "A man who views the world at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Everyone is entitled to change their opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Changing ones opinion is fine, as long as that change does not create a situation where those coming along behind us are denied the experiences we had.

Regretting choices we made when younger is only human.

Should our regrets be used to stop others from having the experiences?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

I regret killing a wild lion
Mike

I don't!! I regret not doing a perfect side brain shot on an Elephant. But I don't regret hunting one and killing it.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is a lot of truth to the saying "a wise man changes his opinion often and a fool never". We all change as we grow wiser through knowledge and experience. That is a part of aging and maturing.

However, I have zero respect for anyone that depends on popular opinions, tweeter, polls, fads, the latest emotional outcry, facebook, the news, etc. in order to decide what their view and opinions should be. That just shows a complete and total lack of character and a person totally void of any individual and intelligent thought. No real leader would ever stoop so low.

But that's just my opinion. Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote