THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Show Me Your Ivory Pedestals

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Show Me Your Ivory Pedestals
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'd like to see what is available in the way of pedestals to display your elephant ivory. What can you show me?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
That poor elephant only have one tusk? clap

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
No more pedestals ? Come on guys i need to make my decision soon !

I like picture nr. 1 & 2 (Saeeds). Suggestions ?

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this back up. I like the last three.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
To hang the ivory with ropes in the ceiling as picture nr 8 would be cheap and look quite nice - I was quoted 1050 USD for each pedestal like Nr.2

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Nice photos. Lots of choices there. I really like the one hanging from the ceiling, over the door.

I had an idea one time about recreating a hunting camp scene. The idea would be to paint a mural backdrop on a wall like the Zambezi river etc.. In front of the mural would be a habitat base like a sandy river bank. The tusks would be sticking out of the sand on either side of one of those nice teak and canvas safari chairs. Basically recreating the photos you often see taken in camp after a hunt. Plus anyone who came to your house would want to have their picture taken in the chair. Great for parties beer

I had a similar idea with skull mounts from a safari stuck in a sand box habitat in front of a painted mural of a river, safari camp, or other African scenery.

It would take up a lot of room but I think it would be very unique in a large trophy room.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
+1 on the tusks hung with ropes over the doorway. That looks really good and would look doubly nice if there was an opposing door you could give the same treatment.

One could also do this...

...or you could leave the tusks in the skull and place the skull upside down in a corner withe tusks pointing up. Then place a few elephant leg bones around the skull. If would go well with Grafton's theme.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
These are about 15"x15" and stand about 6" tall.

I need to wrap the bases of the tusks, but here is how they sit on the base. A bolt is "bondoed" in teh bottom of the tusk and run through a hole drilled in the top of the pedistal.

It looks better with the bases wrapped in leather or copper, but you get the idea.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Those look familiar clap

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Those look familiar clap

They are almost identical to yours!

Go figure! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I just finished the bases and wrapped the tusk in some faux Croc hide as trim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw Scott Lennerd's bases at Reno this year and got a pair. I am not good at posting photos yet, but they are on his website at: www.scottlennard.com.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
Are these the reproduction tusks you are making?

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are replicas of Jerry's tusks.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is my tusk mount. Picked it up today. Really looks nice. The tusk bases are wrapped in elephant hide.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That does look nice. Is that a custom made base, or did you or the taxidermist just find that and mount tusks to it?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wendell, they made the base and then mounted the tusks to it. Base is walnut. The entire front opens up and is hinged to expose the interior so that you can access the nuts that secure the tusks to the base.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, where did you get the repros from? Are they the basic, generic ones that Van Dykes offers in their cataloges, or are they casts of Jerry's actual bull? I'm curious because I've been thinking about purchasing a pair and doing something similar to what you posted.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Scotty,

I made these from casts of Jerry's bull. Van Dykes tusks lack the detail that makes the difference between something that looks like a replica and something that looks like an Elephant tusk.

Jerry's tusks were perfect for the task. They were the right size, good mass and had plenty of character that came through in the mold.

Van Dykes are fine for shoulder mounts, but they are too long to use for a Non-export Bull that typically will be 25-35 lbs. The texture and markings change at the lip line and an 8' tusk can not be cut down and still look right.

So, I made my own. And I owe Jerry a big debt of gratitude for letting me borrow his tusks for so long. wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I LIKE those, Wendell!! They are similar to all three of the bulls I took!

Consider me sold on those.. I WILL be buying a pair of those fro you in the near future!!

Thanks for posting them! I felt the same way about the Van Dykes ones.. too fake looking and WAY too long for most of the PAC and non export bulls shot..

Those are great looking!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will put you down for 6 tusks. Wink