THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Ideas for a Caribou skull mount?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for a Caribou skull mount?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I shot a nice (to me at least) bull caribou in Alaska last week that I want to prepare as a skull mount.

I am looking for some display ideas other than the traditional European mount. Please share your ideas and/or pictures.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Dave, that's going to be a bit tough. As soon as you say "European mount" we know that its going to be the skull and antlers. With large frame antlers like that, space is going to create problems. Pretty demanding to have a pedestal Euro as it would cover a medium sized dinner table. Skull caps aren't very interesting either unless you have a few dozen of them.

BTW, nice animal and a GREAT picture.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
When I was 16 I shot a caribou and could not afford to get it mounted. I kept the antlers on the skull plate including the nose and had the hide tanned. I then nailed the hide to the wall and mounted the "European Mount" in the center of the hide. Looked rustic, but great. I now have that same rack sitting on the floor of my trophy room on top of a beaver hide as shown here: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1821043/m/723108588

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
A customer brought in this pedestal/plant stand and requested we secure his european elk to it. He says he gets many compliments on it, in his home.... something different.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Dave, what a great shovel and bez! Good length, too.
Congratulations.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Loud n boomer,
It could easily be done on a wall hanging pedestal like this cape buffalo. You will need to have the pedestal custom made, I can recommend someone for that if you want to do it this way.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote