THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Choosing the 6.5 Grendel as a Long Range Deer/Elk Cartridge: PITIFUL AND PATHETIC!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing the 6.5 Grendel as a Long Range Deer/Elk Cartridge: PITIFUL AND PATHETIC!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same thing happens to those shooting the 460howbigsmydick thinking they can take bad shots since theirs is bigger. Especially newbies who resurect dead threads.

Sorry, that one just pissed me off for some reason.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
Larrys I bet you have the same reaction to seeing real men in the shower. I would be willing to bet you do not have half the time behind a trigger as I do, you must be one of those guys who thinks he know everthing since you read a lot of gun rags but only killed a few deer you saw from the seat of your pickup!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't bet on either of those. Smiler It was a comment on the fact that it works both ways with either type caliber. I didn't specifically address you, as opposed to a genre that you appear to represent by your screen name, but if the shoe fits. But I guess that one is by you.

Oh, and I don't take showers with men. More power to you on that one.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I never said I used a 460 for deer hunting, but you had to call names write away and nice verse from the bible by the way, It must be ok to call somone a 460 bigdickshooter in your church.

Sorry did not mean to hurt your feelings but don't start calling names and you won't get called names in return!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, sorry if it offended your sensibilities. I usually use 416 instead of 460, but it seemed appropriate. Still is. I'm not offended in the least. Like I said, my comment was about the big bore guys that miss and make the same stupid arguments. I guess that one is still by you.

A newbie with half their posts as derogatory. New record for the ignore list.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
these 6.5 guys never tell you about the ones they hit and only wounded, just the ones they got lucky enough to find!

Kinda like those 460 shooters... tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Don't bet on either of those. Smiler It was a comment on the fact that it works both ways with either type caliber. I didn't specifically address you, as opposed to a genre that you appear to represent by your screen name, but if the shoe fits. But I guess that one is by you.

Oh, and I don't take showers with men. More power to you on that one.

Laughing!!!!!!! The shower part was great.

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
460 wby shooter wrote:
quote:
these 6.5 guys never tell you about the ones they hit and only wounded, just the ones they got lucky enough to find!

Wow...what amazing intellect we have here... Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby

The intellect went missing from this thread several pages ago. The issue is a lose/lose conflict as the two ideas will never meld. Big bore shooters will never understand small bore shooters. Just like Ford truck drivers will never understand Chevy truck drivers. You know kinda like why would anyone shoot a single shot rifle when thay oughta be shootin a bolt gun....eer make that an autoloader...eeerrr OH well carry on gentlemen

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice deer. Good shot. Pretty good idea where you aquired the interest and initial skills. I think the boys here should take it for the fine display of talent and skill it was and be glad y'all found a safe, legal, and rewarding outlet. Once you start it's hard to stop aint it boys? And gongs are no replacement. I am surprised you spent so much time arguing with folks that have never HAD to make a shot, especially over 493 yards and case capacity, but it's winter and the days drag I guess. Kill, kill, kill blood makes the grass grow.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its funny how the truth upsets so many people. I have done a lot of long range shooting and hunting, here ND we have open grasslands and rolling hills so we tend to take longer shots that most. My longest so far is 673 yards on a whitetail buck I used a 6.5 STW,130 accubond at 3475 fps and a nightforce scope. But the fact is I used enough gun, the 6.5 grendel is just not enough gun at 500 yrds to give consistent one shot kills. It is a good deer gun for shots out to 300 yards, and i would have no problem using one hunting in brush country.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its funny how the truth upsets so many people. I have done a lot of long range shooting and hunting, here ND we have open grasslands and rolling hills so we tend to take longer shots that most. My longest so far is 673 yards on a whitetail buck I used a 6.5 STW,130 accubond at 3475 fps and a nightforce scope. But the fact is I used enough gun, the 6.5 grendel is just not enough gun at 500 yrds to give consistent one shot kills. It is a good deer gun for shots out to 300 yards, and i would have no problem using one hunting in brush country.

You are the one that is full of BS bsflag you proclaim the 6.5 inadequate for reliable kills, how? Have you ever used one are is this simply more conjecture.

The bullet exited the animal dropping him with 1 shot which indicates the cartridge is up to the task

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No I have not, but have killed the with

243 win
25-06
257 roberts
260 rem
264 win
6.5 stw
270 win
270 wby
7mm-08
7mm mag
7 stw
30-06
300 win
300wby
300 ultra
338 win
340wby
35 whelen
350 rem mag
375 h&h
375 ultra

so I think I may no a thing or two about deer rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree for the average guy the grendel isn't enough because the average guy doen't put the time in. These guys ARE NOT average. The average guy shouldn't be shooting 200 yards with a 30-06 cause he doesn't have a great chance of a one shot kill. Obviuosly if the mark is hit the grendal will have the frieght...as shown. Most people that see their gun for 2 weeks a year couldn't make that shot with any rifle yet this guy who also by the way admitted he misjudged the wind, still managed it. Y'all who KNOW what everyone else should use and how they should use it should head on over to Kalifornia and join the mandate party over there. You can check your 30-06s out of the armory, get your GI ammo and then turn it back in at the end of the marksmanship (Carl Marxmanship) period with a brief report on rounds expended, targets engaged, recovered projectiles and turn in remaining rounds. Let the rest of us use our best judement...you know, Life, Liberty, and the persuit of one shot kills (happiness).

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

243 win
25-06
257 roberts
260 rem
264 win
6.5 stw
270 win
270 wby
7mm-08
7mm mag
7 stw
30-06
300 win
300wby
300 ultra
338 win
340wby
35 whelen
350 rem mag
375 h&h
375 ultra

Maybe, maybe not. I see that you don't let the facts get in your way to proclaim the 6.5 inadequate despite the fact that it only took 1 shot and the bullet exited.

Facts and results trump theory and BS every time.

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THAT. Use what ever you want but know your limitations and your rifles!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it have enough to get through a shoulder blade at 500 yards if your shoot is off a few inc. and still have a clean one shot kill?

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:

243 win
25-06
257 roberts
260 rem
264 win
6.5 stw
270 win
270 wby
7mm-08
7mm mag
7 stw
30-06
300 win
300wby
300 ultra
338 win
340wby
35 whelen
350 rem mag
375 h&h
375 ultra

I hope you know more about ballistics than spelling! Seriously, no one who has come out against this shot has yet given a good reason why it was okay to shoot (and wound) a coyote long range but not okay to cleanly kill a deer from a shorter distance?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SMACK!!!!
posted Hide Post
Fondling the Grendel's and the 450 Ultra Magnum, it's almost GO TIME again. Only this year I have a any bull permit in hand for WA State Wahoooooo! Stay tuned, more pathetic extended range, one shot stops to come. Gotta love Exbal, wind meters and laser range finders. stir

I was planning on going from one extreme to the other with the 6.5 bullet but I just didn't have time for the build. I had a reamer and go gauge made for a .338 Remington Ultra Magnum, necked down to 6.5 with a 40% shoulder. I'm going to smoke a 140 out there so fast, it will defy the laws of gravity! NASA will be at the range before my 5th break in shot. dancing

450 Ultra case on the left, 6.5 Badger go gauge and PTG reamer.

OVER KILL RC???????

--------------------------------------------

Nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Posts: 774 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote