New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remarkable Central Texas Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check out this photo and story from Sunday's Austin American-Statesman. Brady is almost exactly the geographic center of Texas and in what is known as the Edwards Plateau. It is an are known for abundant deer numbers, but smallish deer. This deer would be in the top 5% in South Texas, Alberta, or Saskatchewan!

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/...0/21/1021legcol.html

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a very nice-looking buck, but....

quote:
"We had him on a trail camera, and he was always at the house feeder," McCarter said. "But then he disappeared on us."

oh, my goodness; they might actually have to HUNT for it?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
This was still a low-fence ranch, with hunters on adjacent property, and the buck had lived thru several hunting seasons, so he had gotten some smarts. Doesn't sound at all like the high-fence hunts of pen-raised giants that associate people with food, not with hunting. Excellent deer, particuliarly for that area.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
the sage of shithook montana has spoken. this man should be flogged and loose his hunting rights have his deer bow and truck confiscated for hunting acording to laws and traditions that disagree with yours. Big Grin

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice deer, well hunted, well done

low fenched, bow, people driving all around them on 4 wheelers, riding a bicycle to the stand ...

oh my, what is there to complain about now, other than it's better than anything else this year?

I say the guy got a great free ranging deer, what do you fellas say?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Certainly a more significant accomplishment than stumbling around on a bazillion acres of Federal land, coming across a deer that has never seen a human, and stands there watching you at 100 yds while you shoot him.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

Great genetics in the Brady area. IIRC, the Texas B&C non-typical record for a long-long time came from the Brady area. That deer got passed up 20 years or so, ago in the record book.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Nice deer, well hunted, well done

low fenched, bow, people driving all around them on 4 wheelers, riding a bicycle to the stand ...

oh my, what is there to complain about now, other than it's better than anything else this year?

Doing homework is one thing...feeders are another. I've hunted out of a box stand over a feeder exactly 1 morning in 42 years of hunting...and I refused to shoot from there. That's just my preference. I can't get too excited about hunting around feeders...even if one is on the ground and bowhunting.

The hunting method, however, doesn't take away from the fact the buck pictured in the article is a good 'un.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the article.

It is a small miracle that the deer lived long enough to develope a rack like that. Between hunters just wanting a buck and poachers.

Now for the unpaid political announcement.

For all you folks that can not do anything but critisize the deer killed in Texas and the way we do our hunting down here, PLEASE, do everyone else a favor and collectively cram your sanctamonious heads up your asses and fart your brains out.

It is really a shame that a person can't kill a deer, regardless the size, with out having some "No Manners", envious, jerk wad making comments.

That is a damn fine buck and the fact that it came off a low fence ranch makes it that much better.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what height is considered high and low when it comes to fencing?
i am curious on how high a fence could be but still be considered as a "low" fence and eligible for entry in the books.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
bsflag you dont generaly ask questions you dont already think you know the answer to are you fishing ?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
bsflag you dont generaly ask questions you dont already think you know the answer to are you fishing ?

apparently you dont know either.
so instead of being a smart ass why dont you STFU so someone who knows can tell us both.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
ok its about belt buckle high on me and nipple high on you dickhead.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
everybody who thinks texas ought to have their own forum say "aye"

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=...=594102057#594102057

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a really beautiful, symetrical rack!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i tried to find it listed on google but noone seems to have a difinative answer as to the height that constitutes a "high fence" and thereby makes a deer killed behind it inelligible for the record books.
i figured someone here would know.

i did find this reference...
"FOR AN AREA TO BE CONSIDERED A LOW FENCE AREA IT MUST HAVE AT LEAST A 1,500 YARD STRETCH OF PERIMETER FENCE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A 7-FOOT HIGH, OR A HIGHER FENCE, OR ANY FENCE THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED “CAPTIVE†TO WHITE-TAILED DEER.
A HIGH FENCE AREA MUST CONTAIN ALL FOUR SIDES, WITH 7 FEET IN HEIGHT OR MORE, OR ANY FENCE THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED CAPTIVE TO WHITE-TAILED DEER WITHIN THE PERIMETER.

so, 45,000 acres of property with a 12 foot fence on all 4 sides with the only exeption being a single 1500 yard strech of fence that is 6 feet 11 inches in height would be considered a low fenced area, right?

By the guidelines that is.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it aint rocket surgery... low fence means crossable fence... basically it means cow fencing ...

of course, with something that people have huge OPINIONS about "high" fencing, would know what defines a high fence... leaving "everything else" as low fencing...

KS .. funny, low fenced and 4 times "el jason's backyard" and you don't have the stones to say "nice deer" ..

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck, that animal killed in any state is a monster, and bow killed to boot.
Nice buck.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
50"

BUT for the record I have seen deer clear 8' deer proof fence more than once and 6' with ease.

Kstephens,
You must have been the kid that told on everyone else in grade school huh? Your kind of a buzz kill.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if this deer was inside a 45,000 acre hi fence, it would still be a real task to shoot this deer with a bow. Damn, that is one fine buck and he earned it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first off, i dont have any issue with the deer killed.
i also am not obligated to jump up and down and applaud it either.
i was simply asking a question.
you TX dickheads always get so GD defensive about it.
so when you hear low fence you automaticly think 3 strand barbwire, right?
im saying that it seems by the rules that a 6 foot 11 inch fence is considered a low fence by the regulations.
now if you have some information that disputes that i'd like to hear it.
what good are you as a moderator if you cant answer a simple question without getting blown out of shape about it.
did i say the deer was killed in a high fence?
did i make any remark about how the deer was killed?
you have got a big chip on your shoulder. probably because you dont know the answer and are ashamed to say it, so you just blow off steam in an attempt to to divert.
so am i correct in that " a deer killed behind a 45,000 acre area, fenced on 4 sides by a 15 foot fence with the exeption of a 1500 yard strech of 6 foot 11 inch fence a low fence killed animal and elligible for record book?

one of us
posted Hide Post
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHA! Ride'em Texans!

Round number? Oh, for those counting, I drove from S. Central Texas to El Paso last weekend for an oryx hunt on WSMR. This area of West Texas covers about 50,000 sq miles or roughly the size of the great state of SC and not a single "high fence" in sight! Also probably less than 100,000 people excluding El Paso!

Just some stats for those who choose to be jealous, have too much time on their hands, and are otherwise not familiar with the great state of Texas!

Oh, for the alter ego, this part of the state is roughly 1/3 the size of the state of Montana!

Now ride boys ride!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great buck!

KS, I don't know the legal definition in Texas, but I know it is not "barbwire". It is "bobwaar", and usually 4-strand, at least around Abilene. Smiler Smiler Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Great buck!

KS, I don't know the legal definition in Texas, but I know it is not "barbwire". It is "bobwaar", and usually 4-strand, at least around Abilene. Smiler Smiler Smiler

it actually is "barbed wire" unless you have 6 teeth, half a pouch of redman and/or the moderators johnson in your mouth.
as many people here who profess to know so much about TX and love to support High Fence Ranch Inc. you would think the would know what the defining characteristics are between what B&C calls a high fence and a low fence or non-captive vs. captive enclosures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
the sage of shithook montana has spoken. this man should be flogged and loose his hunting rights have his deer bow and truck confiscated for hunting acording to laws and traditions that disagree with yours. Big Grin

now now - i was just pointing out the obvious...i made no judgments, did i?Wink

it really is a nice buck. i do not care for those disgusting, oversized non-typical racks, whether they are natural or engineered.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, for the alter ego, this part of the state is roughly 1/3 the size of the state of Montana!

i'm going to say it one more time, MuyMaricone - i am HETEROSEXUAL and i am MARRIED. i have NO INTEREST! please stop your panting pursuit of me! i'm simply not into that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you would think the would know what the defining characteristics are between what B&C calls a high fence and a low fence

why would we care?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
you would think the would know what the defining characteristics are between what B&C calls a high fence and a low fence

why would we care?

before i champion a cause i care to know the primary points.
then some just fly off the cuff with speculations.
however it does not change the facts.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
"as many people here who profess to know so much about TX and love to support High Fence Ranch Inc. you would think the would know what the defining characteristics are between what B&C calls a high fence and a low fence or non-captive vs. captive enclosures"

Ks I think you miss understand no one here gives a shit how tall your fence is maybe you should ask someone where it is not legal as they have the laws regulating it.
there is no rule in texas as to the height of a fence so why do I need to know that? the boone and crocket club rules and scoreing system are what is wrong with hunting today I hate that b.s. and wont let anybody measure anything I shoot 1 because I dont hunt for score only for myself/satisfactin and 2 I realy dont like the changing of a way of life into some half ass version of nascar hillbilly compitition.

depending on who you ask and what contest rules you believe high fence is anything over 5 ft acording to b&c. that is square wire not strand wire. all propertys that want to be scored as low fence must be one full section or larger with one mile or one side fence under 5 ft some say under 7 ft but that seems kinda high for b.s. contest logic. some say this seems fair but their argument is weak any fence on any side of a ranch over 5 ft tall from corner marker to corner marker makes it high fence ranch to me. that is what leads to people building up a pen deer heard under high fence then taking down 1500 yds or one side and killing all these monster "freerange" deer.

I do not hunt white tails in high fence but have hunted next to a bunch of high fence and can tell you that 8 ft is not even close to deer proof. I still dont care if peope hunt high fence ranches or fence their property so long as they dont try to sell the deer on that property by the b&c point. they can sell the hunting acess and ameneties but selling deer that dont belong to you is stealing.

nothing in this thread about high fence untill you started that again. but hope this answers your question.
----------------------------------------

Now onto the feeders

we hunt land that is not profitable to harvest grain crops on and dont wish to cut down all the trees anyway so we broadcast feed on the ground to atract deer and to feed the deer as we put the feed out whether we are hunting or not it is legal ethical and the traditional way we have always hunted here. I see no diff between hunting over grain on the ground and hunting over grain on the ground corn does not grow all by its self someone cultivates it so when you guys quit hunting farm land with food sources on it so will we.

the argument against man made food sources if true would be the same if you replace the word food with the word water. so if you hunt over man made water sources you are hunting over worse than bait they dont have to eat the grain but they do have to drink.
so be real carefull about what you throw rocks at if you hunt animals coming to or from water you hunt over bait.

--------------------------

for the hansel and gretal hunting aficianados

if you like to hunt by wandering around on large trackts of land and seeing what you can find thats great but please understand that we are not so fortunate and to have huge tracts of public land to roam without the sight of another person for days at time. we have to come out of pockett for the use of the land we hunt over and above the costs of tags and the like all this after we pay our taxes to pay for the land you hunt on. we have need to hunt from stationary outlooks due to brush density land size/ hunter safty and maximizing #of hunters to acres of land because of cost. the trade is we dont need orange to keep from shooting each other and by carefull planing we see a lot of deer and not a lot of each other. not to mention the fact that this is how our ancestors hunted and we like it that way.

there is no need for a seperate hunting forum for Texas we are part of the U.S. and we realy dont mind how you hunt even the LA. dog hunters I realy think you should support people hunting as the # of hunters in the us and people who understand why we hunt keeps it legal. the b&c score keeping will only work to lessen the experiance and opertunity for us all in the end.
A kid shooting a 100 lb doe for the meat should be more than a grown man acting a fool over how many points his buck has.

Smilerhave a great day!

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
quote:
quote:

why would we care?

before i champion a cause i care to know the primary points.
then some just fly off the cuff with speculations.
however it does not change the facts.

championing a cause??
flying off the cuff?

If I want to construct a deer-proof fence, I'll do it. And the specifications for the fence will be based on local wildlife experts' recommendations.

Why would I care what definitions the B&C Club use? I'm sure it is a fine organization, but I have no interest in ever putting an animal in their book (in the highly unlikely event that I ever take one that would qualify). So their definition is of no concern to me. And I highly doubt that most folks who go to the expense of constructing a care what the B&C definition is (assuming that they have one).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would I care what definitions the B&C Club use?
And I highly doubt that most folks who go to the expense of constructing a care what the B&C definition is (assuming that they have one).

i didnt bring it up. whoever wrote the article did.
i simply asked what the difference between high and low were.

you boys just seem to want to fly off the handle over it. may i suggest a decaffinated brand?
quote:
The hunters were using the Boone and Crockett scoring system to estimate the buck's size.
McCarter took the buck to a local taxidermist who helped score the deer. "He turned out to be 174 inches," McCarter said. "I always wanted to kill a really good, low-fence buck and now I have."
The buck will have to be scored officially and then the antlers allowed to dry for 60 days but if the score remains above 170-net, the buck will qualify for the all-time B&C record book.

and by the way i am particularly fond of that style rack, even over larger multi pointed mutant racks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man,
That is one beautiful animal no matter where taken! But it is just incredible that it came off of such a small, low fence, Hill Country place. But it does go to show you that anytime your'e out there it could happen. And if you ain't out there it is never gonna' happen. I'm gonna have to start carrying one of those jump starters (defibulators) in my hunting bag from now on, if somethin' like that walked out in front of me I might need it.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i didnt bring it up. whoever wrote the article did.
you boys just seem to want to fly off the handle over it. may i suggest a decaffinated brand?

There's only one fellow getting worked up as far I can see. I just asked why you would care. Still don't see what difference it makes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
no what you said was
quote:
why would we care?

it doesnt matter. and i m not concerned w/ what you care about or dont.
i asked a question and you seemed to adress it as some personel attack on you.

i care becasue i would like to know what constitutes a fence low enough to put the animal in the books.
if you dont know the answer then STFU. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
KStephens, anything over 6 foot is a high fence, anthing 5 foot or less is low fence. The ranch I do my javelina hunts on is 20,000 acres with a 4 foot fence around it. I think even your big deer up there could jump that.

Just curious here, but exactly how many times have you been to or hunted in Texas?????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
KS,
your question was answered. I don't know if you have noticed, but some of the threads you post on turn into name calling shouting matches over some minor points. Perhaps your passion for the sport is compromising your perspective.

Low fence roughly equates to cow pasture.

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
KStephens, anything over 6 foot is a high fence, anthing 5 foot or less is low fence. The ranch I do my javelina hunts on is 20,000 acres with a 4 foot fence around it. I think even your big deer up there could jump that.

Just curious here, but exactly how many times have you been to or hunted in Texas?????

What would that make a fence between 5 and 6 feet? rotflmo

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
LOL..
between shoulder and eyes on a full grown man

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
KS,
your question was answered. I don't know if you have noticed, but some of the threads you post on turn into name calling shouting matches over some minor points. Perhaps your passion for the sport is compromising your perspective.

Low fence roughly equates to cow pasture.

my perspective is that anytime someone asks a question that you boys dont like you get your noses out of joint.
you should learn to read the threads in order and figure out were the name calling BS begins.
you are not a moderator of anything other than making sure the loudmouth texan high fence crowd gets the better of the thread.
you are worse than them because you are supposed to have some sort of central mindset.

i asked a simple question. thats all. you boys are worse than a bunch of women.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you boys are worse than a bunch of women.

+1