Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Kudu (more pictures added)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hey..........I thought y'all might enjoy a couple pics. These were taken on a ranch owned by a friend of ours in Medina, TX (near Bandera). The entire ranch is a little over 7,000 acres but the section with the Kudu is 1,800 acres. He's only got about 8-10 Kudu. There's one middle-aged bull, one young bull, 4 or 5 cows, and 1 or 2 calves.

Here's the only decent picture I got of the bull. He's 5 years old and he's already looking really good. I would guess him to be around 45-47 inches. In another 3 or 4 years, he should be in the mid 50's.

And here's a pic of one of the big old cows. She's really beautiful. And yes............that is a telephone pole next to her.

They were heading over a small hill into some really thick brush and I couldn't get any better pics, but these came out alright. Let me know what y'all think. Enjoy.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
And just for comparison.........here's a picture I took of the same Kudu bull 2 years ago when he was 3 years old.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Some good looking animals!

I somewhat recall you did a Buffalo hunt a while back, care to pm me the link ?

Thanks

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos!!

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu are just magnificent animals thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does he have anything other than a standard 8' high fence to keep them in? Is that a problem or are they pretty good about not jumping fences?

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
perry,

He's just got a standard 8' fence. I'm sure they could jump it if they felt the need to, but apparently they don't. He's had Kudu for about 6 years. Originally, he had a HUGE bull (that he paid $17,500 for) and 2 or 3 cows. He had them about a year and the bull in the pictures above was sired by the original bull. The owner leases the ranch to a large company out of Houston and they get to shoot all of the quota every year. Well, obviously Kudu weren't on the quota. However, there was a client that brought his 12 year old son with him and they were supposed to be hunting Aoudad. They put the kid in a stand by himself and he shot the old Kudu bull and claimed he thought it was an Aoudad. Now either the kid had never seen an Aoudad or he thought that just because his daddy was a good client, he could get away with anything. I'm not sure which is true. Needless to say, the owner was NOT happy but there wasn't much he could do, the bull was already dead. They never measured him, but I think he was probably in the mid to high 50's, which is a big Kudu anywhere, but especially for Texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
awesome pix! thanks!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting pictures, how do kudu fare in Texas? Do they thrive or do they die off when there is a cold snap?

I am curious as to how long ago the first ones were imported...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Interesting pictures, how do kudu fare in Texas? Do they thrive or do they die off when there is a cold snap?

I am curious as to how long ago the first ones were imported...

As far as I know, Kudu do quite well in Texas. I believe they were introduced in the 1970's or possibly even the 1960's. There are many ranches with breeding herds of Kudu. Some of the larger herds are owned by the 777 Ranch and the 74 Ranch. Most Kudu are in South Texas, mainly because of the warmer temperatures. However, I do know of a ranch in East Texas called the Circle E Ranch that has a small herd of about 25 Kudu.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know, Kudu do quite well in Texas.

They should do well. Most animals thrive in a zoo. Big Grin

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
quote:
As far as I know, Kudu do quite well in Texas.

They should do well. Most animals thrive in a zoo. Big Grin

Mac

Oh.......why don't you take your pissing and moaning somewhere else.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I find it absolutely hilarious that some people...........not anyone in particular..........but I have talked to people who would hunt Kudu on a 2,500 acre high fenced game farm in Africa but then turn up their noses at someone who hunts a Kudu in Texas on a 10,000 acre high fenced ranch. bewildered bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the matter kid? Can't take a joke?

I find in hilarious that someone that by their own admission has never yet hunted Africa will call themselves "Eland Slayer". dancing

Have you actually ever hunted anywhere besides Texas? Have you ever actually hunted anything not on a high fence ranch? Have you ever actually hunted anyplace without a shoot on sight poicy for predators? Have you actually ever hunted anywhere that did not have feeders and food plots? In other words, have you actually ever hunted free ranging game anywhere? Or do you do all your hunting in "zoos"? Big Grin

My point is that Texas is full of places to hunt that are not much different than zoos. Full of animals not native, full of animals artificially kept above the carrying capacity of the land, full of animals that have no natural predators because you kil them all off. In other words,a zoo. The size of the zoo is not relevant, it is still in my opinion, a zoo.

And before you get your little panties in a twist, I am quite aware that not all of Texas is that way, but even you have to admit a lot of it is.

And, before you ask the question, I have hunted Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, California, Virginia, Alabama, Florida, Montana, Hawaii and TEXAS. I have taken, in free range conditions, without a guide: Mule Deer, Elk, Whitetail Deer, Blacktail Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Black Bear, Wild Boar, Bighorn Sheep, Bison, Mountain Goat and Alligator. I've done some of the exotic hunting when nothing else was in season. And, I have done several safaris so far.

And I find it hilarious that you mighty "Eland Slayer" Roll Eyes is so fascinated with animals that are classified as "LIVESTOCK". They are not even considered game animals.

And like most yougsters, you are way too serious about yourself and need to lighten up a little. Guess you didn't see the little Big Grin on my first post. Better get your little bitty eyes checked Junior. Cool

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well MAC, I know you probably think you've got me all figured out, right? That I'm some snot-nosed rich kid that's been shooting pen raised animals since I could walk.......huh?

I'm more than happy to answer all your questions.............regardless of how ignorant, narrow-minded, or disrespectful they might be.

Regarding my user name "Eland Slayer". You are correct, I have not hunted Africa yet. I will be going in July for the first time. HOWEVER, I have hunted and killed a bull Eland on a ranch here in Texas. I'm sure you won't consider that hunting though, no matter how difficult of a hunt it was, because it was in a 1,000 acre "pen" filled with Yaupon thickets and Oak motts. FYI, the hunt took 6 full days, but let's not get into that right now.

I will be the first to agree that there are many high fenced places in Texas that are more like zoos than hunting properties. BUT........these are the minority. Most high fenced hunting ranches in Texas are nothing like a zoo. But I don't expect you to believe that either. You might not want to admit that a young whipper snapper has more experience on any subject than you. But with all due respect, I believe that I have MUCH more experience with high fenced properties than you do. Let me ask YOU a question now. Have YOU ever hunted on any high fenced ranch? If so, please explain (what ranch, your experiences, etc...).

I have been hunting in Texas for 14 years (since I was 5 years old). I have hunted ducks in Louisiana one time, but other than that, NO I haven't hunted outside of Texas.

The vast majority of my hunting has been done on low-fenced properties for Whitetail........complete with Coyotes, Bobcats, Foxes, the whole shabang. I have hunted a few high fenced ranches for Axis, Blackbuck, Eland, Bison, and Hogs (which don't really count because they can go right under the fence). If I had to guess, I would say that approximately 95% of my hunting has been done on low-fenced land.

To answer another one of your questions..........I have never hunted on a ranch with a "shoot on sight" policy for predators.

Most places I have hunted do have feeders, although, generally, you won't kill an old mature Whitetail buck at a feeder. Therefore, I rarely hunt at feeders unless I'm trying to kill does or hogs. I have killed one 4.5 year old buck at a feeder back when I was 12 years old. All of the other bucks I've killed have been away from feeders and only one was on a food plot.

I have actually only hunted Whitetail on one ranch that had food plots and they only had 2. One was a 15 acre field and the other was a 50 acre field (which was a big pain in the ass because it was approximately 450 yards by 650 yards and you might see a big buck on the other side of the field, but I'm not comfortable shooting 650 yards). But I guess you consider all that to be "not hunting" right?

I am very glad that exotic game is considered "livestock" in Texas. That just makes it that much easier to manage them. If we didn't do a good job managing this "livestock", how many Axis, Blackbuck, Aoudad, Addax, Dama Gazelle, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Arabian Oryx, Nile Lechwe, Pere David, and Barasingha do you think there would be? You need to get off your high horse and come down here with the rest of us hunters.

You said I'm serious about this............YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I AM!! As far as I'm concerned, anyone who isn't serious about standing up for what they believe in isn't worth their salt.

You have always been one of the first people to condemn high fences and Texas, but it is a public forum and you have that right. But I also have the right to state the facts, even if they are the opposite of what you say.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
popcorn

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well MAC, I know you probably think you've got me all figured out, right? That I'm some snot-nosed rich kid that's been shooting pen raised animals since I could walk.......huh?

Mac, I think you hit the nail on the head!

popcorn

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. How old are you Madgoat??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You said I'm serious about this

Actually, what I said is that you take YOURSELF too seriously. Not that you are serious about the topic. There is a big fundamental difference in that.

quote:
I have been hunting in Texas for 14 years (since I was 5 years old). I have hunted ducks in Louisiana one time, but other than that, NO I haven't hunted outside of Texas.

This is exactly my point. The only experience you have is restricted to 1 state. Not everyplace or everyone agrees with what happens in that state. You need to branch out and get some more experience before you get so emotional.

quote:
You have always been one of the first people to condemn high fences and Texas

Wrong on this one Junior. I have never condemned the state of Texas. I have lots of friends there and have hunted there several times. I even have quantified that by stating thet I know the entire state is that way. But I do see lots of serious ramifications to the whole High Fence thing.

One of the biggest differences in our conflicting opinions is due to our very different levels of experience. You have not yet seen your 20th birthday. I have been in the military longer than you have been alive. And in those years I have seen a lot of things that influence my way of thinking, and emotion is not 1 of them. So, let's address them:

I am honestly concerned about the future of hunting in this country. You are not, because you have only been exposed to 1 way of doing things. Do you think for 1 minute that anti hunters and non hunters are not reading these forums? Do you think they will not hesitate to use our very words against us? We are our own worst enemies.

The entire concept of hunting high fence property for animals not free ranging is something that the non hunters are very opposed to. Mind you I said the non hunters. We will never change the minds of the anti hunters. When it comes to hunting fenced game, it doesn't matter if I do it, it doesn't matter if you do it. They way it is presented looks bad for all of us.

There have been many studies done in the last 20 years or so and they all show that the non hunting public has no problem with people that "hunt for meat", but that they have serous issues with "Trophy Hunting". Now, I understand using hunting for conservation, but the whole trophy concept is out of hand.

High fence properties, Artificial Food Supplements, Predator Control. Do you remember your post about a certain Mt. Lion you didn't want killing "your deer"? The raising of deer commercially to sell their genes via semen. Importing exotic game from around the world for sport hunting. All of this will be used against us in the future.

I have seen many changes in hunting in my nearly 50 years on this planet. I've seen it go from a tradition running through families to being big business. I've seen it go from putting meat on the table to competing for the biggest set of antlers. I've seen free access hunting go to all the propery being leased up. None of these are good things. I've seen them, you have not because you have neither enough age on you nor the experience outside your own state.

I understand the concept that a lot of the exotics were originally brought here to save the populations due to poaching in the wild, but how many others are here just to provide shooting opportunities. After all, Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Springbok etc... are not exactly scarce. Like most things, something done for a good purpose got carried too far.

quote:
You need to get off your high horse and come down here with the rest of us hunters.

I'll tell you I am with the rest of the hunters. I'm with those that track their game on foot. That allow game to move freely. That have to pattern the native food sources instead of filling a feeder. I'm with the guy that wants to take his son or daughter out to take a young doe for the freezer. I'm with the old man that wants one more deer before he dies. I'm for they guy that dons a backpack and chases elk for a couple weeks on foot in the mountains and after taking one packs it out on is back. I'm for all that.

But I will never be for the guy that manipulates the deer herd. That artificially feeds them. That hand selects which bucks do the breeding. I will never be for the guy that contains the deer behind a fence they can not escape from, no matter how big the piece of property is. I will never be for the guy that purposely brings game onto their property from all over the world so they can sell a trophy hunt.

Funny thing is, I'll bet most of "us Hunters" are a lot closer to my way of thinking than yours.

quote:
Have YOU ever hunted on any high fenced ranch? If so, please explain (what ranch, your experiences, etc...)

Nope, never have. Never will. Don't believe in it. I'm not afraid to eat tag soup. I don't want my game restricted. I don't want it fed. I want it wild and free ranging. I want it wise to predators. I want it exposed to the natural hazards that go with being wild.

quote:

Don't flatter yourself. I don't think I have you figured out. Hell Kid, I've never even met you. I wouldn't know you if I saw you walking down the street. You very well could be a nice young man, BUT YOU TAKE YOURSELF TOO DAMN SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

LIGHTEN UP Wink

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
We just have differing opinions. You don't know the extent of my hunting experience. Just because I've only hunted in one state doesn't mean I have any less hunting experience than you (although I would guess that you probably do have more than me). I have put in more hours scouting and hunting Whitetails so far in my short life than most old men. Just for Whitetails: I have sat in box blinds, hunted feeders, stalked bucks, rattled in bucks to the point where I was nearly run over, hunted in tripods, hunted in tree stands, hunted over hand-thrown corn, hunted over fresh acorns. I've hunted hogs just about every way you can, high fence, low fence, over feeders, stalking, acorns, on roads, out of a truck, with dogs, rifle, pistol, archery, etc..... I have hunted everything from Pine plantations and hardwood swamps, to brush so thick you can't walk through it, to rocky hills, to practically desert terrain............all right here in the state of Texas. Please don't act like, just because you are older and have more LIFE experience, that you somehow are more correct in your hunting logic than I am..........because you simply are not. That is the problem here. We have different opinions. However, I am FOR ALL HUNTERS, regardless of methods or fencing or bait or difficulty or what types of animals (native or exotic) as long as they aren't poaching or doing any dangerous or stupid illegal stuff. Whereas you are AGAINST many different forms of legitimate hunting, just because you don't like to do it yourself. For instance, I truly don't think I would like to spend 2 weeks in the wilderness, only to shoot a 4 point elk and then have to pack the S.O.B. out on my back............it's just not my cup of tea..........but I sure as hell am not going to keep you from doing it. You can do it all you want, knock yourself out. That's something you might enjoy doing. I don't...........but that's your right.

When you refered to Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Springbok etc.... not exactly being scarce, I agree, they are not scarce. However, you and I and anyone else with any knowledge about Africa knows that the future of hunting in Africa is far from being stable. Who knows? One day, Texas might be the only place in the world to hunt Kudu, Eland, Zebra, Springbok, etc..... Something else to think about, what about the person that doesn't want an entire safari, but wants the thrill of stalking a big Kudu in thick brush. He can do just that on one of many large South Texas ranches and have just as difficult a hunt as any Kudu hunt in Africa. Or what about the handicapped hunter? Or even just some paranoid rich guy that doesn't want to leave the country for fear of being kidnapped?

Like I said, we obviously have differing opinions on the subject, but don't for a minute think that your way of thinking is superior to mine just because you have more "experience".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac- well said.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, very well said. Everything you mentioned with regards to the future of hunting is true...people are so tied up with animals being bigger and better and killing them quicker and easier...it is killing the sport.

Now back to eating my antelope, deer, and caribou tags....

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For instance, I truly don't think I would like to spend 2 weeks in the wilderness, only to shoot a 4 point elk and then have to pack the S.O.B. out on my back............it's just not my cup of tea..........but I sure as hell am not going to keep you from doing it. You can do it all you want, knock yourself out. That's something you might enjoy doing. I don't...........but that's your right.

I think that maybe the saddest statement I've ever heard....from someone who claims to be a hunter..??..??..!! Why do you hunt then ES?? Just for the glory in getting the biggest rack? Isn't enjoying the wilderness, wildlife, and open spaces what hunting is supposed to be about...with a successful kill being just a bonus??

If new hunters all share your opinion, we're in trouble.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For instance, I truly don't think I would like to spend 2 weeks in the wilderness, only to shoot a 4 point elk and then have to pack the S.O.B. out on my back............it's just not my cup of tea..........but I sure as hell am not going to keep you from doing it. You can do it all you want, knock yourself out. That's something you might enjoy doing. I don't...........but that's your right.
[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I think that maybe the saddest statement I've ever heard....from someone who claims to be a hunter..??..??..!! Why do you hunt then ES?? Just for the glory in getting the biggest rack? Isn't enjoying the wilderness, wildlife, and open spaces what hunting is supposed to be about...with a successful kill being just a bonus??

If new hunters all share your opinion, we're in trouble.

Kid, you just don't get it. Because something is legal, it doesn't make it ethical in everyone's mind. You need to branch out. Spend time away from those ranches and go into the wilderness. See the glory of nature around you.

Catch a trout from a high mountain stream. Watch a bear tear apart a stump for grubs. See a herd of elk cross a saddle in the distance. Watch a bighorn butt heads with his rival. Enjoy the sight of a grouse drumming on a log. Smell the pine logs burng in a campfire when the snow is falling gently. Wach a mule deer stot across a sagebrush flat. See a herd of pronghorn running full speed just because they like to.

When you can do all these things, never filling the tag in your pocket and still be happy because you have been hunting, then you will be a hunter.

When you are grateful for the raghorn bull elk on the ground in font of you, not becuase of how big he is, but for what his very being represents, then you will be a hunter.

A true hunter will never call his game a "S.O.B." and be unwilling to do whatever it takes to recover the meat.

When the sleek doe you see on a frosty morning before it fall to your son's shot, represents meat for your family and a family tradition passing from 1 generation to another, then you will be a hunter.

But Kid, you are not a hunter. As your very forum name suggests, you are a slayer. Big difference. Maybe in 20 years you will understand.

It is for the very reasons people like you seem to hunt that I fear for the future of hunting in this country. When we, as hunters, no longer bask in the glory of the hunt and instead do everything possible to kill the absolute biggest buck/bull/ram etc... then we have lost our way.

Hell, we will have lost our very reason for the hunt. We become collectors not sportsmen. And when the non hunting public see that our driving factor is no longer putting meat on the table, we will be voted out of business. You can try to explain that one to your children. Explain how we lost their right to hunt to our own greed.

I don't expect you to ever come around to my way of thinking. I just ask you to do a little thinking about the "ripple" effect. Every act will impact something else in the future. Ask yourself a simple question: Will my actions impact the likelihood of the future getting to enjoy what I have been allowd to enjoy? If the answer is a possible yes, think before you jump.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Ok..........Madgoat, how is it sad for me to admit that I don't have the desire to do a wilderness hunt? I never said wilderness hunts were bad or weird or strange or whatever. I said I DON'T WANT TO DO IT. That's all.

MAC,

I truly can't believe what I am hearing. Once again, you jump to conclusions about me. How can you say that I am not a hunter? You know NOTHING (except what I have told you) about my hunting experience and the reasons I hunt. Trust me, I don't hunt just to kill the biggest, baddest of everything in the easiest way possible. Hell, I haven't even killed a nice Whitetail in 2 years. Last year, I probably spent a total of 40 or more days hunting Whitetail. I rattled in 33 bucks last year and never pulled the trigger, because only 2 of those 33 bucks were at least 5.5 years old and I didn't particularly like the rack on either of them.

I don't hunt just for the kill, I hunt to be out of the concrete jungle, to get away from school and TV and all that other BS. I like just sitting there watching fawns or some doe running from a 2.5 year old buck that's pesterring her because she's in heat. I enjoy the entire experience, not just killing.

BUT...........another part of being a hunter is being a proper game manager. And part of being a game manager is NOT shooting that raghorn Elk.........but allowing him to reach that 7-10 year old stage. If nobody cared about the size, sex, or age of the animals they shot and they just shot the first thing that walked by..............animal populations would be all out of whack.

You're right, we're never going to agree...........but I would really appreciate it if you would not "talk at me" like you're some all knowing hunting guru. And one more thing.........PLEASE..........don't EVER accuse me of not being a hunter..........just because I hunt differently that you.

This thread has gone to hell.........like all the other ones that have been hijacked and someone starts talking about high fencing and Texas.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,
Thanks for the pics of the Kudu. I would very much like to see them do well in Texas. I feel they are the most representative species of Africa. I have killed many in Zimbabwe. Sorry your thread which I think you meant to show off the Kudu was taken so poorly by some. I'm not very skilled at hunting and my experience of the 73 years I've lived is limited to a few states and not too much American game, I have however made 8 safaris to Zimbabwe and taken most animals they have there including some that were in fact dangerous. Some was taken on fenced ranches and some on open range so to speak. I found little difference in the experience from one area to the other. I have hunted Leopard on foot behind dogs and at night by spotlight from a blind and just find them to be two different methods of hunting an elusive and clever quarry. The prospect of killing a spike elk in the backcountry and having to pack him out does not in the least appeal to me for any reason. I think Texas would be an excellant place to hunt plains game and would eagerly look forward to it should the opportunity present itself. I personally see nothing wrong with game management and would like to tell you it is practiced in the same manner in Africa, at least it was in Zimbabwe. I have a friend who had a farm(it was taken by the government) who was trying to breed selectively a large Sable. He had a small herd of a dozen or so and they were in a 5000 acre high fenced enclosure along with about 200 Wildebeest and a couple of hundred very nice Kudu. You could literally drive for a couple of hours and never see some of the game that you knew was obviously there and could hunt on foot several days without getting a shot although it was not used as a hunting area for any commercial purpose. All gone now. Management of Buffalo in Zimbabwe is done to try and develope a Hoof & Mouth free strain. The country had a very substantial cable reinforced fence all across Matabeland to seperate the Hoof & Mouth strains from the disease free strains. Some people are very critical of anyone who does things differeant from 'their way' I for one appreciate the pics. Thanks again for publishing them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words zimbabwe. It's nice to know someone enjoyed the pictures and obviously has an open mind. Maybe there's hope after all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Eland Slayer, I highly suggest you pick up a copy of Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac" and settle in for a good read.

That is, if you want to get exposed to real wildlife conservation and land stewardship.

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This thread has gone to hell.........like all the other ones that have been hijacked and someone starts talking about high fencing and Texas.

Maybe that's because lots of people find the concept of hunting captive game behind fences repugnant. You are the only one posting that seems to think it is okay. Not even your fellow Texans have chimed in to support you.

Think about it.

Mac

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
For instance, I truly don't think I would like to spend 2 weeks in the wilderness, only to shoot a 4 point elk and then have to pack the S.O.B. out on my back............it's just not my cup of tea..........

---------------------------------------------

Hell I would do it for a spike.

Hunting is a LOT more than just the killing.

I spent two weeks moose hunting this year and did not get anything. But I was with my family and we had a great hunt. We had three tags and did not fill any. We were talking about doing it again the day after the season was over.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am chiming in and supporting him or anyone else that wants to hunt animals on high fence operations anywhere they want to and have the money to do so.

It is damn funny that over the past few years the sale of Non-Resident hunting licenses in Texas has increased annually, while sales of resident licenses have fallen off.

For your information, most of those Non-Residents are coming down here to hunt exotics on those high fence ranches.

It seems to me that you are long on mouth and short on facts.

Everyone has heard your opinion, how the hell many ways can you say you think it is wrong, thankfully the entire country does not run by your standards.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Eland are next right...Lord Derby?

That is a great looking animal and I would love to just take a look at him and her in the wild.

as a biologist of course

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
For instance, I truly don't think I would like to spend 2 weeks in the wilderness, only to shoot a 4 point elk and then have to pack the S.O.B. out on my back............it's just not my cup of tea..........

---------------------------------------------

Hell I would do it for a spike.

Hunting is a LOT more than just the killing.

I spent two weeks moose hunting this year and did not get anything. But I was with my family and we had a great hunt. We had three tags and did not fill any. We were talking about doing it again the day after the season was over.

I never said it had anything to do with the killing part. I SAID I DON'T WANT TO DO A WILDERNESS HUNT. I like to sleep in a decent bed after the hunt.......nothing fancy.........just a decent bed to stay warm and preferably indoor plumbing. It's just my preference. I wouldn't do the wilderness hunt even if I knew I'd have the opportunity to take a 400 inch bull. It's not about the killing. It's about the comfort after a day of hunting.

I have been hunting MANY MANY MANY times and not killed a single thing. In fact, MOST times I don't kill anything, but I still hunt and it's still fun. And yes, several of those unsuccessful hunts were on high fenced ranches.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
nice pics--how did you airbrush out the ear tags? dancing
You guys are so far removed from the rest of the planet YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR OWN FORUM!!(Are you listening,DRG?)

You dont want to go hunt wild game,cause you want a bed and your jammies laid out for you? Roll Eyes
I guess you didnt call yourself Eland Hunter,just Eland SLAYER. holycow
Actually,your in a hole.Stop digging. digginYour having the same argument we had last month,only this time with different people.Like I said last time,you keep sticking your chin out. coffee

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
All of you don't feel a little embarrassed arguing and getting condesending with a child?

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
All of you don't feel a little embarrassed arguing and getting condesending with a child?

Scott,I believe last month he said he was a sophmore in college,which makes him old enough to vote.And its just a little friendly debate.
No blood,no foul.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
jb,

I really don't think you and I are going to solve anything. You obviously have your head too far up your ass to understand simple facts.

The location of comfortable accomodations has absolutely nothing to do with the "wildness" of game.

None of the animals on this ranch have ear tags.

Oh.......and FYI, "Eland Slayer" is a nickname that just sort of developed gradually after my hunt four years ago. Why can't you just mind your own damn business?

Scott,

jb is correct, I am a sophomore in college.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:

BUT...........another part of being a hunter is being a proper game manager. If nobody cared about the size, sex, or age of the animals they shot and they just shot the first thing that walked by..............animal populations would be all out of whack.

like it has been for the last million years or so?Good thing you came along to set us straight.And I have MY head up my ass?

It probably went right over your head ,but YOU started this thread about texas and high fence killing of domestic animals.If you'd shut your yap,the subject wouldnt be coming up at all.

And yes the availability of accomodations does have something to do with the wildness of game.If they werent fenced in,your ass wouldnt get far enough off the asphalt to find a pile of their shit.
Why dont you ask DRG to make a texas high fence shooting (I really have nothing against texas)forum so you can play nice with like minded folks,and the rest of us dont have to put up with you?
And just for you ,I will put my old tag line back up. "I dont know what makes you so stupid,but its really working."

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't you just mind your own damn business?

Put a very controversial topic on a PUBLIC forum and you will get conflicting opinons. Funny how when they run counter to your beliefs, you start crying and pouting and ask everyone to "Mind their own business".

There is a phrase used in poker: "Keep the cards close to your vest". Don't know how much poker playing you have done Junior, but it basically means keep things to yourself. If you don't want anybody to ever disagree with you, then you are in for a long, tiring life.

If you don't want people to complain about high fence hunting and the shooting of captive game, then I'd advise you to quit posting the topics. You bring it up every month or so and every time you do, you get spanked and go off crying.

Being a sophmore in college makes you an adult, but it don't make you a man. You act like a little kid every time somebody disagrees with you.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sure, Hunting is alot more than killing. In fact, Killing isn't REQUIRED to hunt. And My Daddy told me to work smarter, not harder.
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
... Not even your fellow Texans have chimed in to support you.

Think about it.

Mac

Mac,

Think about it .. One doesn't see Texans bitching about how other places hunt (shotgun only, no bait, guide REQUIRED, etc) in fact, Texans say "well, that's how they do it there"

Yeah, great advice,. His fellow Texans have seen this same thing happen a few times already. JB, KS, MG, and now yourself, flat out refuse to even listen. So, any comments on it are just pissin in the wind, as far facts go ...

Oh well, don't think lack of comment is anything but a vain attempt at decorum

quote:
Originally posted by jb:
If you'd shut your yap,the subject wouldnt be coming up at all.
...I dont know what makes you so stupid,but its really working."

Yes, JB, you are correct, unfortunatly it reads as a projection.

So, all you 'texas sucks, high fence hunting sucks" , "only rich guys hunt in texas" and "anyway but how *I* do it sucks" guys, I'll give you a "fair chance" challenge.

Since drums don't move, and high fence is repugnant, and 2 days hunting represents a weekend hunt, you can put your money where your mouth is.
I'll place a 55gallon neon green drum on about 1,100 acres under high fence. It will be in a place I have actually seen feral hogs, or even taken one. You will have from dawn till dusk for 2 days to find it.

If you find it, I will pay your flight, your hunting license, and your daily rates.

Meanwhile, if you can't find it, you pay the same ammount to me. cash

I'll go hunt hogs on 11,000 acres waiting for you to give up as you have no idea what you are getting into, but you'll get to see eland, blackbuck, barrasingha, and various other exotics.

Now, I am certain there will be little petty reactions, but the wager is "put your money where your mouth is, and show us how superior your ways are." ..And, of course, you get to embarass ME by having a picture taken with said 55gallon barrel, and me handing over a fistful of dough to cover your expenses.

Now, of course, there's the possibility of that OTHER photo, though....

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38602 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote