Find
Notify
Tools

Here's one for you Pronghorn lovers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted
I just finished this eastern NM buck, he netted just over 86".

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Beautiful mount! Do you know where in NM he was taken? I've only seen one bigger and that was from Ft. Wingate, taken with a bow by a friend of mine.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't know exactly where he was killed.

Jerry Huffaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
The mount looks good. But the horns look like they were photo shoped. If they are not it is a whopper. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry is honest, and does good work. I'm sure the picture is of the actual mount with no touch up or anything. Awesome buck!

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron,
I'm not a very good photographer, I can assure you it's the real deal. It's in the book.
I don't have the score sheet in front of me but I think the horn lengths were 17 6/8 and 17 4/8. Very good mass too.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
what you're seeing is the shadow that makes it look PS'd. nice goat!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Nice animal!

Jonas manikin?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very nice PRONGHORN.
What do you call the style of form it is done on? and do you have any other angles of the mount? I have never cared for that style of form but some different views may be interesting.

Robin in Rocky

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
duffy, it appears to be a Jonas wall pedestal manikin, but many companies make those. Just looks like it to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
It is a Jonas form with a slight change in head position.

Duffy4,
I don't have any other angles, I just snapped a quick pic before I shipped it out.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Jeebus! Nice 'lope! It's a great quality mount, too.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Antelope...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whether the horns have been photoshopped or not is hard to tell, but one thing is for sure the photograph has been altered from the original. The antelope is completely in focus and only part of the horns are out of focus, sorry camera's don't work like that, poor photographer or not. Plus whoever did the cropping around the horns missed a lot of areas. I'm not sure why this was done, but an educated guess says the horns have been messed with. Don't even try and tell me there wasn't any fiddling done with this photograph because the mistakes are extremely obvious to anyone that has even a fraction of a clue about photography or digital editing.

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK,
I took a quick picture in my shop of this antelope hanging on a pole, I put in adobe and tried to take all the background junk in my shop out of the picture(in about 10 min). This is a very nice B&C Pronghorn that I thought you guys would like to look at. I don't have to justify anything to Bigsky or anyone else I did this purely for fun and out of respect for a very fine animal.
Bigsky,
Since you are basically calling me a liar, here's the original photograph for you to make another brilliant educated guess with. Look very carefully you ASSHOLE, the face is in focus and horns aren't. I dropped my camera a few weeks ago and it doesn't focus very well, of course an EDUCATED EXPERT like you should be able to figure that out real quick, since you have MORE than a FRACTION OF A CLUE about these sort of things. You call me a liar on a public forum you better well be able to back it up, I challenge you or anyone else to compare the two photos and show me where the horns were altered. If anything they are a little smaller in the first photo because I took some of the edges out when I was trying to take out the back ground.

Jerry Huffaker

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Great goat thumb, mediocre picture Frowner, VERY worthwhile reply from Jerry beer.

For the naysayers, I just copmleted a deal with Jerry and have no problem believing everything here is as he says.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and not only that but the sky is blue (now lets see who all wants to argue) dancing

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pissers clap

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great Antelope Jerry and thanks for posting. They remain my favorite NA game animal to hunt and serve on the table. Thanks! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Jerry, FWIW, I appreciate your post and the photo. I emailed the pic to many of the hunters in my address book.

Thanks again.

For future reference, you can save yourself some grief by posting any alterations to a posted photo. You never know what kind of responses you'll get on a world wide forum.

Anyway, very nice mount!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck!

I may have to take one of my Trophies on the short drive to Abilene to get one done!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Have never seen an antelope mount that I liked more! He had to be conceited, and you got him with that conceited look. Smiler Great mount.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a horse of a speedgoat!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I am sorry about that. I can see the animal was not altered in the second pic. You have to realize a couple of things. The picture looked like it was PS enhanced,and in fact it was. But just to take out the background. I am sorry I thought it was a PS project on the pronghorn. I think that the picture with the stuff in the background shows us even more the size of the animal. The other thing you need to realize is a pronghorn that big is a freak of nature here in Idaho. If that were a Idaho Buck it would have came from the INEEL nuclear site. That thing is amazing. I am glad you posted the other pic and please no hard feelings. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I told you to be careful with that trick camera. You've also really got to be cautious when showing people those fiberglass horns you made. Damn!

Mark

Folks,

I've known Jerry for some years now and believe me altering a mount to show off on AR is not what he would do. The idea is laughable when you have seen the antelope he has mounted and the boomers he has killed himself.

Jerry,

Nice work and a real toad of a goat.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another interesting note, 4 years ago this same hunter shot a buck in Hudspeth Co. TX that grossed over 90" and netted 87+ on a very small place that only got one tag that year. He's had some good luck on Antelope.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tell the profssional photo whiners to piss up a rope.you didn't have to share with us a truely magnifecent antelope,i for one am thankful you did(a pronghorn lover)

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Jerry

I'm with you and sick and tired of everyone showing off a picture and someone yells PS who gives a shit if it was or was not enjoy the Fu!!!! picture and shut up.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great goat!!! Eeker I once took an 85 and thought I was a pretty lucky hunter. This one is a once in a lifetime trophy. Thanks for sharing it with me.
Smiler
L2S

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry,

Would you mind posting a photo of that big goat from the side? I would like to get another angle on that guy. Great antelope.

Thanks,
MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Madgoat,
I don't have any other photos, but I'll try and get and in the field picture from the hunter.

Jerry Huffaker

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Another interesting note, 4 years ago this same hunter shot a buck in Hudspeth Co. TX that grossed over 90" and netted 87+ on a very small place that only got one tag that year. He's had some good luck on Antelope.

Jerry that's fantastic mount and I am green with envy over the hunter for getting two of that quality.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm getting one mounted just about the same... Looks good!

(mine of course is just a tad smaller than this one)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
I think I'm getting one mounted just about the same... Looks good!

(mine of course is just a tad smaller than this one)

Frans

Frans, all of mine are just a "tad" smaller than that one, also. Roll Eyes

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote