Notify
Tools

Origin of your login name?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I dunno. I'll have to ask my folks.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
They called me that in the army. It's short for Ottenburgerstienovichsky. Fit that one on a name tag!

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
I just thought it sounded cool [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Pre64>
posted
I was born prior to 1964.

I don't own any.

<GoWyo!>
posted
I guess because I live here and graduated from UW in '84. I may have been listening to a cowboy game on the radio when I started using it.

Gary

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first handle I ever posted under, since I was searching the "beartooth bullets" forums for 444 loads (one of my favorite rifles)....kept it to one handle for every hunting forum I visit to make it simple.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been called this (and a few other things) by my friends since I was a kid. Nothin fancy, just the first 4 letters of my last name.

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In remeberance of a friend that was always to long in seeing.
He use to tell me that he hadn't seen me in a coons age. He was a good friend just like a Dawg so there it is.

one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
A word play on my name, which is the anglecized version of the Swedish or German name of my step father. Originally spelled "Vierniillsson" (ain't no umlaats anywhere on this keyboard!) according to family legend when the grandfather came thru Ellis Island and is now spelled "Virnelson" which nobody in Texas can seem to remember ...so ...it became "VerWHATsit, verHOOsitz ...would you believe Virnelson. Checked into a hotel in Helsinki one time and the clerk pronounced the name perfectly and looked surprised when I complimented him! The Brit desk clerk at the hotel in London where we had stayed the week before almost strangled all week long trying to say the name!!! LOLOL
Oh well it is a long stretch from the lowland Scot moniker I was born with "Wood" that is my other nickname "Woody".
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the names are kinda cool. I've hunted south of the border chaseing whitetails in Mexico for the last few years. My first year down there hunting I was looking for a place to freeze a cape to get it back through US customs. I stopped at a roadside bar late that night a in the middle of nowhere about. Left my buddy in the truck with my 300 in the seat and said come get me in a few min if I don't come out. I walked to the door of this little place and two guys met me at the door, they had lots of gold chains, rings, not your typical working class mexican nationals, I looked over my shoulder and saw this Dodge truck with more chrome than paint, kinda figured they were drug dealers. I speak a little spanish, told them I wanted to freeze a cape, they let me in. The kid behind the bar took me to the back room and I put my cape in a freezer, I noticed a small buck with no tag in there also. I came back two nights later to get my cape, the kid let me in and took me back to the freezer. I went to pick my cape up and I heard somebody say hey Gringo Cazador, me mucho Cazador tambien (Cazador is hunter is spanish). It was one of the local outlaw hunters, he looked like Pacho Villa with a much bigger scar across his face. He insisted I drink beer with him, and go hunting that night. I talked my way out of it, but the name Gringo Cazador stuck, thats where mine came from.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Red I have red hair and I like Rugers especially number ones.

Posts: 45 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love to shoot my 300 winchester magnum. Pretty straight-forward.

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
My name is Lou, I hold a doctoral degree and it's what my friends and students call me.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
retreever...I am a waterfowl and goose hunter here is the USA and own Labrador Retrievers..aka...retreever my name

Mike

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the name of the mascot for the college I graduated from.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I�m a big Audi-quattro fan and I was born in 1977.

[ 07-11-2003, 08:54: Message edited by: quattro77 ]

Posts: 33 | Location: munich, germany | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Some day some years ago we got net connection at the job, and a collegue and I were surfing to learn the net. We searched for german sites for our students and landed on a german chat. I needed a german nickname, and choosed "Fritz the Kraut", as all germans are named "Fritz" and all of them are "Krauts". I also had the comic "Fritz the cat" in mind. [Big Grin] (www.bouska.com/fritz/index.htm) Soon I took the "the" away, and got a mail box at Hotmail with that name.

Since that I have used that nickname on the Net. Funnily a lot of people think that it is a real existing person. A german chap with breeches and tyroler hat, I presume. [Big Grin] But my real name is Peter and I�m from Sweden.

Peter

[ 07-14-2003, 00:58: Message edited by: Fritz Kraut ]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My father gave the nick name. The Family use to do alot of coon hunting when I was a kid. I was the shooter and the rest would handled the dogs. I could hit a coon in the eye with a .22 short when he was up in the top of a 100 foot pinetree. My old man would bust your ass if tore-up a hide. So you learned real quick to shot striaght. The rest of my brothers let me do a the shooting because they did not wait to deal with the oldman (pussys). [Wink]

Posts: 4 | Location: Conroe, Texas | Registered: 02 June 2003Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Because I lack any creativity whatsoever. Actually, that's not true, but all the creative names had already been been taken, and in frustration I tried Red Green, having just watched the Red Green show on TV when I registered.

posted Hide Post
got the name stoney which was short for stoneface. I got the name from a few pals for not smiling enough. I always smile when the big buck is on the ground.
Stoney

Posts: 8 | Location: Newtown, PA, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Two guesses.

The first one doesn't count.

-

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo is my dogs name.
It's a spanish phrase that translates to

"The Mo"

Doesn't have a damn thing to do with shaggy red muppets, so don't try to tickle me.

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
After I bought my third--35 Whelen, a friend said I must be some kind of a Whelen Nut!

I now have several more plus a lot of other 35's. [Cool]

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buckmaster.......I love bucks. And I usually out do my buddies.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a sentimental old fool and the first log-in name I ever used with my first computer was Pecos45.

Pecos for the river I grew up splashing in and 45 was my age at the time. Soon as I reach 100 I'm going to update my name to Pecos100. Until then you're stuck with this one. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to be a preacher and still try to sow seeds.

Posts: 83 | Location: Cody, Wy. | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the few (the only?) 6'3" red heads walking around Tokyo in a pair of Tony Lama's boots(most of my co-workers refer to them as "Cowboy Shoes")....

....so I'm the "Tokyo Cowboy"

On assignment for two years with Nissan in this incredibly crowded, but amazingly safe, city.

Not much Big Game around...but they have a serious over-population of crows...great BIG crows....a guy could run a pretty successful Urban Safari business here if they allowed guns.

Did find ONE gun store in Tokyo.....They showed me the long list of things you have to do to get approved to buy a gun.....might not live THAT long.....

Keeping sane by checking in regularly with Accurate Reloading.....heading for Zimbabwe and South Africa in three days.

Sayonara!!

Posts: 8 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
<afro>
posted
it's a nickname. while fishing in ontario, this little shit indian kid called me this in front of my group of friends. been called that ever since.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Cub Killer.......By the first black bear I killed. Everyone including myself & ADF&G Biologist thought my black bear had to be at least 5-7 years old, he squared out at 5'10". Got the ADF&G report on the tooth that was pulled and age came out to be a two year old. All I can say, he was one heathly youngster.

[ 07-23-2003, 02:17: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and love "one or two" wheel guns.

Posts: 54 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
College professor (since retiring from the Air Force) of Psychology and Sociology. Decided the students needed a realistic take on life and hunting. The 242? An AF specialty job code.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It Is very simple:
Daniel Paydar it is my name!!no complication [Big Grin]
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm nowhere near as adventurous as other members here - Mehul Kamdar is my name, and, loosely translated, it means Rain (Mehul) Worker (Kamdar.)

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
80% of you are "over there." I'm "over here."
Besides I thought it was kind of space age/ scientific/Americanism/shades of Star Trek?

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GrizzlyClaus, No it's not misspelled. A giant of a man ( 6'8" and 385 lbs.) [Eek!] who works for me, saw me in let us say a rather unhappy mood one day. [Mad] (Yeah, I was throwing things, like gun safes, around) He stood there and just looked at me until I asked what the -ell his problem was?? [Confused] He looked me in the eye and said "You actin like a pissed off Grizzly but you lookin like Santa Claus." "Gonna be callin you GrizzlyClaus." It has stuck and the whole store calls me that now. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 32 | Location: York, PA | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
Berg is my family name, means "mountain" in Swedish but is actually the name of a farm in the northwestern part of Dalarna, a province of Sweden, where my father's ancestors once lived. Some 100 years ago, almost every swede was names Jonsson, Svensson, Eriksson, i.e. they created their family name from their father's given name. Instead, the church took an intiative and renamed families after their farms, nearby lakes or other geographical characteristics. My ancestors, Jonssons, changed heir name to Berg. The Berg farm is in ruins today, no longer inhabited.

The "Herr" is a funnier issue though. I and a couple of friends have had quite some discussions on vegan forums in Sweden for a number of years and it is actually paying off - the vegan groups in Sweden nowadays pay little attention to hunting. I do believe that we have had something to do with it. [Smile]

But realizing, when I first registred at the vegan.nu site, that people would try to bite me in my throat - vegans or not - I chose the "HerrBerg" nickname. "Herr" is very formal, like "sir" on steroids, and is used when respectfully adressing older men. It always makes me smile, seeing people making a stab on me while adressing me ever so respectfully! I'm 34 years old, btw.

Regards,
/HerrBerg

[ 07-27-2003, 17:48: Message edited by: HerrBerg ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am an automotive technician and the first part refers to my ancestry

Posts: 97 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GrizzlyClaus has got to be the best one yet. I love it! [Smile]

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 475 Jeffries No. 2 double and 475 Linebaugh in a couple of FA 83's-one in 7 1/2" and the other in 5 1/2". [Cool] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
KK,

First name doesn't happen to begin with Ker and last name with Knu, do they?

If so, we go back a long way. Think Outdoors Forum! [Wink] -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote