THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Texas Hill Country exotic game photos

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Hill Country exotic game photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
A few weeks ago, my wife and I visited a private ranch in Bandera County, TX owned by a very close and dear friend of mine. I've known the owner for most of my life, and in fact, he gave me my very first deer rifle at age 4. I'm 31 now and haven't been to the ranch in over 10 years, so it was great to introduce this very special place to my wife. The ranch is 4,000 acres of high fenced property on the Medina River. Of all the ranches I've been on, it is still absolutely one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been.....and will always hold a special place in my heart.

The ranch is not open to the public, and is leased for hunting by a corporate group. I've got more photos than is possible to post here, but I figured I would share a few of the highlights. I hope you guys enjoy them as much as I enjoyed taking them. (keep in mind these are low-resolution files, the full-resolution versions are much better!)

And before anyone asks.....yes, that is a Kangaroo. haha

There is also a nice herd of Bison on the property....here a few of the better shots I got of them.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos! Those Pere David's deer are such odd looking critters!

~Ann

Posts: 19186 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Beautiful photos! Those Pere David's deer are such odd looking critters!

Thanks Ann! And yes, Pere David are peculiar animals for sure!

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing these spectacular photos,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wade, good God man, you take tremendous photos. I can understand your deep affection for that place. It is breathtaking. I did not know there was such beauty in Texas.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16485 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great photos, Wade!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
True paradise tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Wade, good God man, you take tremendous photos. I can understand your deep affection for that place. It is breathtaking. I did not know there was such beauty in Texas.

Thank you for the kind words!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Very cool photos.

Yes, the Pere David are interesting. Another I find almost as odd, in a good way, is the Barasingha. The first one I saw wasn’t far from Brady a few years ago. Once again, great examples of Texas exotic ranches keeping these animals alive when there aren’t many of them back in their home lands.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3435 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Nice pix. Good work. tu2

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Very cool photos.

Yes, the Pere David are interesting. Another I find almost as odd, in a good way, is the Barasingha. The first one I saw wasn’t far from Brady a few years ago. Once again, great examples of Texas exotic ranches keeping these animals alive when there aren’t many of them back in their home lands.

The deer in the first photo is actually a Barasingha in velvet with his summer coat!

Here are a few more pics I got of that same bull.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice pix - reminds me of some exotic reaches that I hunt in Texas. One near Hondo had some of the largest Kudu, Bison, and water buff seen anywhere!

Two Bills (73 and Oregon)- I have been telling you -
Lots of pretty places down here and enormous hunting opportunities for native species and exotics.
Interestingly, many of the luxe ranches are not well known to the public and for good reason!

One of my friends place in Comanche County had Bongos and such, BUT not in view of the county roads! Why? Because the locals would shoot game through the 8 foot chain link fence topped with barbed wire; they knew they could not retrieve the animals but shot them anyhow! He had plastic strips woven through the high fence to minimize drive by shootings.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Very cool photos.

The deer in the first photo is actually a Barasingha in velvet with his summer coat!

Here are a few more pics I got of that same bull.

Ok, I see it better now. Thanks.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Texas exotics are fascinating for sure.

Wade glad to see you back, hope you are doing well and you continue to grace us with photos.

Posts: 7770 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Thanks for the nice pix - reminds me of some exotic reaches that I hunt in Texas. One near Hondo had some of the largest Kudu, Bison, and water buff seen anywhere!

Two Bills (73 and Oregon)- I have been telling you -
Lots of pretty places down here and enormous hunting opportunities for native species and exotics.
Interestingly, many of the luxe ranches are not well known to the public and for good reason!

One of my friends place in Comanche County had Bongos and such, BUT not in view of the county roads! Why? Because the locals would shoot game through the 8 foot chain link fence topped with barbed wire; they knew they could not retrieve the animals but shot them anyhow! He had plastic strips woven through the high fence to minimize drive by shootings.

It is common to have a double set of high fences about 20 plus yards apart with a tall berm in the middle. That’s an investment and it helps the animals. It’s not my deal, but I appreciate them.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 688 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a misconseption on high fenced hunting particularly on the internet, and yes some is not fair chase, this applies to Texas, and African countries, but in the real world many of these ranches are very large and are fair chase, and not easy hunts, pick them with care and you will have a good hunt..South Texas has some great high fenced hunting with 30,000 ac. pastures, as does So. Africa and Zimbabwe..Just another point of view.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote