Tools

Deleted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted
Deleted.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a high-fence, supermarket bull. NOT! Drive by and most of them don't even run away from the road.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
How far is the fence away down back.

Just the fact that it is so big suggests that its a 'money job'

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful trophy! high fence or free range?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice set of horns how much did they cost.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, which is it? Is he lying saying it was "challenging on horseback and on foot in the middle of the Blackfoot Mts."? Or is it a high-fence hunt? Makes a big difference to everyone here.

How in the hell can high-fence, managed farm animals be considered for the record books?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put-n-Take bull.

I do appreciate your honesty in stating where the bull was taken.

Many years ago a big bull or buck spoke to the prowess of the hunter, now it speaks only to the size of the hunter's wallet. That goes for me as well. The last time I really "hunted" was about twenty five years ago; public hunt, mule deer. As a hunter I take more pride in what I did then instead of what I do now.

By this time next month the outfitter/guide I hired in Alaska will locate a nice bull moose for me; hopefully I'll be of some help. We will follow-it up, and unless it is very smart or very lucky, or we're three-quarter ignorant and do something stupid, I'll drop it. Having a guide with me takes away some sense of accomplishment, but at 63 I think I can live with that.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, after reviewing the electronic brochure and their 100% success rate even on a certain size bull up to 600 points....that tells me enough about this hunt. If you want a huge bull AND a real hunt, look at the Jicarilla Tribal lands in New Mexico. A lot higher price but a lot bigger hunting range.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Here is the link.....100% Guaranteed Elk Hunts, says it all for me.

http://www.utahelkhunt.com/

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would score under ESTATE , not wild.
Belive me I'm with you on high fence , not for me.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not hunt anything in a fence,but am not against it. If you got the money and that trips your trigger ,more power to you!!! bewildered

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I do not hunt anything in a fence,but am not against it. If you got the money and that trips your trigger ,more power to you!!! bewildered

Same here for me, I just don't care to read the brag story and see the hero pictures.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was high fence. I asked him if it was free range before he left on the hunt. He told me it is high fence. To his credit, he has taken free range elk but they are all pretty small. He was basically buying a wallhanger. I just thought you guys might like to see it - high fence or no. As for me, I prefer free range. If it's outside my range of knowledge, i.e. Africa or Canada, I hire a guide.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
10,000 acres is about 4 miles x 4 miles. Looks like rough country. Don't know how accustomed the elk are to human presence, but it looks like a beautiful place to hunt. Certainly looks like wilderness, and not the 80 acres fenced that some "high-fence" hunts are.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is 5000 acres, and it is beautiful country. Lots of quakies, green timber, and water. Before they bought it in 2003, I even got around on it some. No more.

I hunt all around this area on State and Nat'l Forest land, and take friends every year on OTC real hunts. We have killed a few 300+ 6 points, and the best was a 373 7x7. Picture of my son below, before we put him to work!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:

Same here for me, I just don't care to read the brag story and see the hero pictures.

I agree with both posts.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
10,000 acres is about 4 miles x 4 miles.

I'm sure the bigger the ranch the better the hunting but managed is managed. It may be a lot of work and fun to locate and shoot "a big one" in 100,000 fenced acres but the animals are not the same as in the wild. When animals are held captive then ecology and biology are controlled. Predation is prevented, herds are culled, breading is selective, food sources are enhanced, and escape is not an option.

If a hunter likes hunting behind a fence then that's fine for him. I have no complaints about people harvesting herds of goats, cows, buffalo, deer, or elk. But I think that listing captive and wild trophys together is pandering.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
regardless of how or where it was taken, it is one hellova elk

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Livestock. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd rather have a spike bull, taken fairly on public land than the biggest rack from a semi-domestic bull.

Things like this could very well lead to the demise of hunting in this country.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
quote:

I agree with both posts.

X2

http://www.utahelkhunt.com/content/2009PicElk-ID.html

Looks difficult

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One hell of an elk. No question it's game farmed. The dead give away is the use of the SCI score. NOONE who kills a free range elk is going to use the sci scoring system. It's a made up system to use when B & C -the only one that matters-- is NOT permitted.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife who shoots a deer every year thats all the hunting she does.

I think she said it best "Thats not even hunting."

If you want to pay the price and enjoy shooting it more power to you.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:
quote:

I agree with both posts.

X2

http://www.utahelkhunt.com/content/2009PicElk-ID.html

Looks difficult

Pretty much sums up my take on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The outfit is very upfront on what you are doing and the success rates. Seems they offer both high fence and free range. I like the fact that they are up front about it.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a little bit of Texas here in Idaho. Yeah.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is like the gay marriage debate; the gays want the same rights as we heterosexuals. I say fine just don't call it marriage since that term has already been defined. To do so starts us down a slippery slope.

What's the difference here? This guy hardly hunted the animal.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mooooooo Moooooooo Challenging hunt? Rulon would never have released that bull without knowing full well it would be killed. A guy I know guided on a ranch like this. They would ride the client around the out skirts, hike him up some hills and then go to the area where the bull was to finally shoot it. Made the client feel like they were really hunting, all the while the guide knew exactly where the bull was located.

These elk are not roaming the whole ranch all their lives. Most times they are raised in small pens - 5 to 40 acres. They are fed high mineral/protein feed many times laced with steriods. They are rounded up and run through squeeze chutes. They are tagged and sorted. Once a client is willing to pay for the inches on a bull's head then the bull is turned out to be shot. The only difference between that bull and our range angus is the head gear and the fact the range bull lived on a larger piece of property his whole life.

Our neighbor loaded up 4 bull elk the other day to take them down to his high-fence area. Interesting seeing those bulls loaded onto a cattle trailer Friday night knowing they would be shot the next morning by some guy who really doesn't understand the difference between hunting and killing.

Kill them, eat them, hang them on the wall. I really do not care. Just do not call it a hunt.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy you guys are treading on thin ice with all your bashing of shooting animals in high-fences! tu2

You better not let eland slayer, perry, or geedubya see your posts; they might get their feelings hurt! jumping

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Here's to "The Bull" salute Fence or not he's a Beautifull Bull!

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Boy you guys are treading on thin ice with all your bashing of shooting animals in high-fences! tu2

You better not let eland slayer, perry, or geedubya see your posts; they might get their feelings hurt! jumping

Are you referring to me???

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

p.m. sent

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Broadmouth has a well deserved reputation for producing very large elk on canned hunts. Read the description above about releasing elk once they have been "purchased" ahead of time. It is very easy to walk a guy around the mountains and make him think he "hunted hard" for his trophy. This ranch is not about hunting anymore than prostitution is about Love.

It is a very nice set of horns, but a crying shame that some fool thinks he "hunted" this animal. Kind of like going to the local auction yard, buying the biggest meanest looking Texas Longhorn bull, taking him home and shooting him in the back pasture, and then strutting around patting myself on the back about my great hunting trophy. The level of self delusion required to participate in this type of endeavor astonishes me. That said, I'm not for more regulations, so if someone feels they got their money's worth on this hunt, then more power to them. I do feel sorry for them, however.

It is interesting to see the genetic potential for antler growth present within the elk DNA given abundant food, minerals, etc.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
They also do hunts for free range elk outside of their high fences on both the Idaho and Utah locations with high success rates.

I have a 5,200 acre hunt lease that is low fenced. I dare someone to high fence it and see if we shoot anymore animals than when it was low fenced - won't happen.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
They also do hunts for free range elk outside of their high fences on both the Idaho and Utah locations with high success rates.

I have a 5,200 acre hunt lease that is low fenced. I dare someone to high fence it and see if we shoot anymore animals than when it was low fenced - won't happen.

+1.....what so many people don't understand is that it has nothing to do with the fence. The fence is simply a management tool. The issue is shooting pen-raised tame animals. If you release a tame animal, it makes no difference whether it's on 100 acres high fenced or 100,000 acres low-fenced.....it's still a tame animal and it's not going to be difficult to find/shoot either way.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah hell,nothing wrong with a little lively debate.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why RREESE changed the title of this thread to deleted? bewildered

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What I enjoy, is that so many pious individuals think they are hunting "Free Ranging" animals.

Each and every on of us that hunt, are doing so with some form of "Fence" limiting the area we are hunting in.

Whether that fence is man made, natural barriers, food and/or water sources, or a guide/outfitter/PH that has a network of folks looking for animals of a certain size, they are all fences.

I have not looked at the picture of the elk, but I do remember the big discussion about the "Spider Bull" that was killed last year or the year before, and that animal had been shadowed for many days/weeks by people employed or compensated by the guide, so that the "Hunter" could kill it.

Is that any less or any more of a "Fence" than steel wire and posts, I don't think so.

This issue revolves around INDIVIDUAL thoughts/concepts/ideas of what is/is not hunting.

I have mixed opinions about these type operations, but while I may not agree with what happens, if the person wants to call themselves a hunter, that is their decision.

I have hunted on 2 high fenced Private operations that were perfect examples of a P.O.S..

The bad problem, and the one that keeps those places in business is that they had repeat satisfied customers.

What to many folks lose sight of is that a hunting experience means different things to different people.

With some it is strictly the trophy at whatever the price.

With others it is the whole experience, with the kill being the icing on the cake.

On the Texas Parks and Wildlife departments high fenced Wildlife Management Areas, and even their low fenced areas, if you get a shot at something you are lucky, at least that has been my experience.

Others mileage may vary.

One question for everyone commenting on this issue, how many of you really feel that your opinion on the issue is going to change anyone's mind??????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey CH, how many times in AR has someone held back on voicing his opinion because he thought it wouldn't change anyone's mind??? Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Kind of like going to the local auction yard, buying the biggest meanest looking Texas Longhorn bull, taking him home and shooting him in the back pasture, and then strutting around patting myself on the back about my great hunting trophy.
Bill

Funny you bring that up. Stumbled on this looking for a bird hunt to kill a day or two on an upcoming business trip to Nebraska.

http://www.huntinghidesandhorns.com/index.htm