New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arkansas Black Bears?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have done an ar search and the stuff i found is 3 to 4 years old. i have been to the Arkansas wildlife web site and got some good stuff. has anyone here been there and done that? what area and dates did you hunt? i think i am getting a bear bug.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Dick,although there are some monsters here, we can not hunt with dogs and I believe bait must be taken down several days before hunting, although many leave it as "deer feeders". I have a friend who has killed bear with archery equipment each year for the past 6 years.
The Ozark area and the area around Mena would likely be your best chance, but its pretty hit or miss situation unless you know someone who has baits out and are having regular bear visits. Most are killed during one of the deer seasons when bear is still open.
The picture is from my farm just across the line from Natural Dam, Ar in Oklahoma, where there is no bear season.

You can see he's pretty good by comparing his shoulder height to the barrel.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the info. Polk county already has a star on my map. I was looking at the area around the zone 2 and 3 line. Thinking sometime in mid November.
I have never hunted bear before and I figured if I am going to start might as well start close to home. Arkansas came to mind because it is close to Texas than say, Idaho.
My thanks again

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote