New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY caribou or 2 Old Guys and a Raft
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The item at the top of my bucket list was 'hunt above the arctic circle for caribou'....My friend Ken that lives in Palmer Alaska had what sounded like a good idea. We would drive 775 miles north of his house, traveling the Dalton Highway along the Alaskan pipe line to a place called the Ice Cut, where we could launch our raft into the Sagavanirktok river... (locally known as the Sag). We would float down the Sag to the mouth of the Lupine river and then pull the raft up the Lupine for 2-3 miles to reach the boundary of the rifle hunting zone where we planned to hunt...An ambitious plan for a couple of geezers that are both nearly 70.....

By mid afternoon the second day we had topped Atigun Pass in the Brooks range and continued north on the Dalton Highway...

That Evening we camped at the ice cut....plan was for Ken to drive the pickup about 12 miles north to happy valley airstrip and then hitchhike back...

Ken ended up walking almost the whole way back before getting a ride....by 1PM we were launched and on our way down the Sag...

The river was up due to recent rains so we made the trip to the Lupine pretty quickly.... We stopped and got organized for the drag up the river... I realized at that time, it probably was not going to be very easy!

The last half mile before the Lupine dumped into the Sag was a series of boulder patches with shallow water. We began to work upstream trying to figure out what was going to be the easiest way to do things... We slogged, pulled, pushed and wallowed our way upriver for about 6 hours that afternoon and evening. Eventually, it was decided that since neither one of us had legs that would work anymore we would stop and make camp for the nite...a quick check of the GPS and OnX maps showed we were not yet a 1/3 of the way up the river to the boundary.....

Reality set in, we had miles more of this ahead of us....

We set up the tent, and crashed...after some hurried mountain house grub....neither of us had trouble sleeping...bears or not. On the bright side we had a couple days until the season opened, we hoped to fish and scout if we had time....

The next morning we got packed up and began the rest of the grind up the river...we learned a few tricks that helped us cover a bit more ground and some of the river had gravel instead of boulders in places and that helped our progress...I managed to stay out of the river all day...not so lucky the previous day. Ken managed to loose his footing and fall in 3 times...but never got seriously wet... After we had been going about 9 hours and were both pretty tired we checked the GPS again and found that we were close...another big push for 30 minutes put us well across the boundary and we found a good place to camp.

Got set up....with the whole camp behind a bear fence. Not sure how good it would work, but at 6000volts I suspect it would be some deterrent for a nosy bear if we kept the food smells minimal.
Beside that we were armed with pistols and rifles... We checked the GPS and found that we had actually pulled the raft up the river 4.75miles...No wonder my legs were tired....

We had time to glass for caribou and do some fishing...the Lupine was full of grayling that were willing to bite. We didn't keep any as we didn't want any fish frying smells around ......

The tundra is raw and beautiful all at the same time...I was struck by the enormity of it and how its mood changed with the weather multiple times each day...it is very hard to explain to someone and it really doesn't fit very well in a camera.

We had time to glass from camp and saw caribou and muskox. We watched one bull caribou for almost 7 hours right from camp the day before the season opened...

Opening day, I opted to hunt the bull we saw from camp, Ken made a loop into another area.. I got up on a bluff and began glassing. About 10am that bull showed up about 1/2 mile away between me and camp...and I watched as he walked within 40yds of our camp and then trotted down to our fishing hole where he swam across the river.... A short time later 28 head came over the hill running about 300yds away from me...there was a giant bull in the herd but they never stopped, they ran for probably 3 miles before they stopped and began feeding again... by the end of the day I had seen close to 50 caribou with no chance to shoot. Ken had see quite a few as well, but not one bull to be found.

Second day I took a stand in the area where all the caribou had crossed the previous day....I saw caribou all miles away. None came to my crossing. Ken found caribou, but no bulls...

Third day, I saw 2 caribou some miles away...Ken never saw one...

Fourth day I never saw a caribou...at noon I did a radio check...Ken had not seen one caribou....didn't look good. At 12:30 he called me on the radio and said he had shot a small bull. He said he was going to bone it out and bag it and would get it out the next day. About 2:30 he called and asked me to bring the sled and meet him at the hill. I took the sled and the pack frame and met him. He had the backstraps, tenderloins, neck meat and rib meat in a bag. I took the meat, his pack and rifle and loaded the pack frame. He took my pistol and the sled and went back for the rest of the meat. By 7pm he was in camp with all the meat. When he showed up I had a fire going and the tenderloins sliced up... I am not sure if I have ever had a better meal than caribou tenderloin on a stick over a willow fire!!

The rain had finally quit for a day and the river was rising. We only planned to hunt for 5 days. It was warm and we had meat to deal with so the decision was made to clear out early on the 5th day to take advantage of the good weather and extra water in the river for the trip thru the rocks on the way out of the Lupine....

We loaded the raft and found room to pack the meat! We launched and made our way down the Lupine. The river was fast, and there were a lot of rocks to avoid...several time we had issues and had to get out and maneuver the raft into floatable water...but soon we were on the Sag again! 6 more miles and we were at Happy Valley and the truck. The river was up and we had trouble getting out of the river, it was an adventure to the end...

I didn't kill a caribou....but that was not a requirement for this trip...it was all about the adventure, and 2 old guys doing what they love to do!

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed your report!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you guys...sounds like you had a great adventure. I'm sure it was very satisfying once you got up there and settled in. To me some of the fishing would make it worth it as well

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly epic. You don't evaluate a great hunt with a tape measure.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I call a fine report and even better adventure!
Well done!

Zeke

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the great report and photos!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
sounds like a heck of a trip! congratulations on a good time!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great adventure!
I kind of did the same trip several years back and got forced out by snow that just didn't stop for the 3 days we waited and this was a mid August hunt.
I really enjoyed you're story.

Posts: 444 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report!

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the read and pics...thanks for sharing.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report. That's something that I'd love to do, with the exception of dragging the raft up the river. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 721 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fanastic story, hunt, and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a cool adventure!

I am envious.

Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hell of an adventure, better than shooting pigs in Texas any day.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just awesome
Good for you guys

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great adventure! Nicely done.
Thanks for posting your story.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,a hunt well done.I would like to try something like this. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys! Happy to share and glad you liked the pics and story!

Work on the bucket list will continue!

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That was great !! Good job--Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report. love it.

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, a really fine report.
Amazing how well Z rat can write after all I taught him. He always has good trips and always writes em up well.

Couple of things might have made the trip come out differently....... :-)

They probably didn't bring enough Jamesons.

Probably would have gotten another caribou if they had forgotten the cooking/eating utensils.

Some stuff just never goes away, Z

am waiting for your next report + great photos.

Posts: 68 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 16 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding trip report and photos.

A truly epic adventure, thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys show us what it is all about. beer

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCFlash...your insight is uncanny!

We did run out of Jameson's! With that push up the river, we should have realized it was really a two jug trip!

Z

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That is about as cool of a DIY hunt as you could ask for!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report! That is the kind of trip I'd like to do some day.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
Awesome adventure. Thanks for all the pics, they where amazing to see!!!

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Great report.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip, hunt, adventure!
Thanks for sharing!

Dang, at one time I thought 70 was an old
geezer, now that I am there, it ain't so old after all . . .
Course a day of hard work and it is "old".

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pretty darned inspiring. I guess at 64 I don't have any excuses!
Thanks for taking the time to share the adventure and photos.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great report and memories of an adventure shared. Thank you for posting. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Great read and congrats to you both! tu2

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6824 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful adventure.
That's the kind of fun that would bring a man back for another hunt!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent write-up on your great adventure. Proof positive that one is as young as one feels. Thanks

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow...you'll have some incredible memories to cherish for years from such an outing.

That's a great story and some wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9411 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S what I call a real hunt! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yup, I enjoyed this too.

For me the DYI hunts are the most interesting to read. Even if they don't always go as planned. Keep working on that bucket list and post them here. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report, proving there is hope for us geezers.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn that looks like fun, Id love to do such a hunt as that. Not a good place to have a flat however!! Smiler I guess those rubber boats have a flat now and then! but sure ya'll have that covered..The shame is we figure out how to do these things when we get old, out of necessity I suppose!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote