THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    It has all been worth it, tagged my wolf!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It has all been worth it, tagged my wolf!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
As many of you know I have been a hunter for 40 years and have taken all sorts of game. During that time I have always had a passion for predator hunting. They can be hunted year round and I think they are probably the most challenging animals to pursue. Over time I have hunted and taken bears, mountain lion and numerous coyotes. While out calling I have been fortunate enough to call in many other predators, ranging from bald eagles and a great horned owl to bobcats and a grizzly bear. Through it all, and at the very top of my list has always been what I consider to be the apex predator, the gray wolf. They have always been a federally protected species here in the “lower 48” and while I have seen and called them they have always been off limits. That all changed in 2009 when the state of Montana (and Idaho) had its first limited wolf hunting season. That year I had already been randomly drawn to receive one of seven highly coveted mountain goat tags for my area of Montana. When they approved a wolf hunt for the same time period I had some hard decisions to make. I made a few trips into some very rough high country to look for goats but just could not get myself interested in it with a wolf season in full swing. All of my friends thought I was nuts when I spent the rest of the season out calling for wolves with a mountain goat tag laying in the drawer back at home. To make a long story short, I had good success at locating and getting into wolves but was never able to find the large gray that I had set as a goal. I had an opportunity to shoot a young wolf that was coming into my howls and had closed to about 30 yards but there was still time left in the season so I let it go. Little did I know that only a few days later the state would close the season early and that numerous federal lawsuits would block the 2010 hunt and ultimately place the wolf back on the protected list. Many friends later asked me about my decision to pass on that wolf and possibly the only opportunity I would ever have in my life. Truthfully, I even questioned my decision a few times, but the bottom line is that it was the right call at the time and I am good with that.

Well here we are in 2011, and the gray wolf is off the protected list and is once again properly classified as the game animal that it is. With wolf numbers up and big game (deer, elk, and moose) numbers down it was certainly time to start letting the states effectively manage them. The Montana season started September 3rd and wolves could only be hunted with archery equipment. I hunt with a long bow and was out at least part of every day during that season. I have no idea how many miles I walked but I never found any fresh sign or heard so much as a howl. The archery season closed on October 16th and I was definitely feeling the pressure. On October 22 the general hunting season opened and I was once again out in the woods pursuing wolves (with bear, deer, elk and a limited draw cow elk tags in the drawer at home)! Three days later on October 25th I had taken more time off from work and was hunting a very large drainage in the mountains north of my home. I had hiked in a little over 3 miles on a gated road when at about 9:30 in the morning I came to an intersection of three trails. There I found some frozen wolf scat (poop) in the trail. Now I knew I was at least in the right area. A few steps further and I found some still warm (don’t ask) wolf scat and a still wet urine puddle. Since the temperature was only 21 degrees,I knew they had to be very close. I tried for a minute to figure out which of the paths they might have taken. After looking around for a moment I decided that the best place for me to set up would be right there in that intersection as it afforded me the best visibility to see something coming in to my calls. I stepped off the trail into a group of three large pine trees that would afford me a little bit of cover.

I was using a Flextone rabbit distress call and began blowing a sequence of sounds on it. I had been calling for less than two minutes when I heard something crashing through the woods directly behind me and it was coming in fast. I knew that it was going to be either a wolf or a bear coming in that hard since in my experience, coyotes and lions make little if any noise on their approach. As I spun around I was already bringing up my rifle to be ready. Looking back now, I clearly remember that as I turned I could see a wolf bounding through the brush coming straight in at me, I also recall seeing in my peripheral vision, the movement of another wolf off to my right side. The wolf coming at me was a very large male with a dark face and bright golden color eyes. In that instant I knew that this was the wolf I had dreamed of for so many years. In the split second that it took for me to turn and raise my rifle the wolf upon seeing my movement came to a
complete stop at a distance of eighteen yards and stared straight at me. I will forever remember looking into those wild golden eyes as I aimed just under his chin for the center of the chest. I don’t recall hearing the gun blast or feeling the recoil of the shot, I just remember seeing him go down and as I chambered another round I ran down to be sure that it was over.

As I stood there looking at this amazing animal, I immediately heard the short howl of another wolf and then the very sharp alert barks of at least two more who were hidden nearby in the timber. The barking from the other wolves subsided after a few minutes as they retreated back into the wilderness. Once the woods became quiet, I realized that I was literally shaking from excitement. I sat down on a log near this amazing creature and just soaked in the beauty of the woods and the features of this amazing animal now lying at my feet. In all my time hunting I have never experienced an emotion like that. This hunt was truly the culmination of years of planning, preparation and countless miles hiked into the backcountry. It was at that moment that I understood what all of the successful hunters throughout time have understood, it had all been worth it!
Jay

P.S. The bioligist aged him at 3yrs and said that he was the biggest one checked in to date. I don't have an exact weight but he was way too big for me to carry. My buddy hiked in and helped me haul him out on a game cart. He was 5'9" from nose to tail at the taxidermist before he was skinned. As a reference, I am 6'3" and those boots next to his feet are size 13!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a super wolf hunt. I live in Montana and am also happy there is one less wolf. Smiler

Ski+3

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a beautiful well earned trophy.

Posts: 91 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations indeed!

Posts: 144 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
big dog! nice job!

now go shoot the rest of them! tu2

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful animal. Nice job. Congratulations.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool hoprfully we wellget to hunt them in Wis shortly.

I know right where to go had a very nice one 3 days in a row on the game cam seen them in the area before always lots of wolf sign there

one of these years.

Posts: 19603 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent job and Congrats!!!

Now, dig around in the drawer and get out there to fill the rest of your tags.

Congrats again!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for controlling the population! Looks like a very well fed wolf.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
That had to be a rush! Thanks for sharing your story!

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Excellent story and super trophy, Congratulations. beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a lifelong desire fulfilled!
And thanks for taking the time to tell the tale.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now there's a good wolf! (a dead one) Big Grin Congrats! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Good for you. tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and very nice wolf, congratulations!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a beautiful animal.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heartfelt congratulations!

What an amazing animal. I'm sure it means a great deal to you.

O

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good show and great story, Jay-

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful animal and great story. Congrats!

Jim Koustas

Niassaland Safaris
Hunt Logic
www.huntlogic.com

E-mail:jim@huntlogic.com

Posts: 71 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay , Congrats on your well earned wolf. Thank the lord we dont have them here..._yet.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one bites the dust! Congratulations fellow Big Sky country hunter.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Congrats....Way to go.. tu2 tu2 dancing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trophy, will make a beauty of a mount or rug!

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!! tu2

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I really want a wolf, it's probably the most underrated trophy in North America.

Well done!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Well done !

... and not just a target of opportunity, a properly hunted wolf called to the gun !

Congratulations on a great trophy !

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, outstanding trophy!

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
My favorite brand of wolf...a dead one! Congrats and keep poking holes in them.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6820 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine trophy.

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Congrats - nice story with pics to boot!

There are a pile of elk and deer that thank you.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
very nice! I'd love to hunt a wolf . . .

kinda funny to me how lots of folks malign them, yet we consider the African lion the pre-eminent game animal on that continent. As far as I'm concerned, so long as they're a managed game animal that is hunted, it just creates another type of hunting opportunity.

(let the flame war begin LOL)

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote