Find
Notify
Tools

hunting with a prosthetic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone done/doing this?
I lost my lower right leg in dec due to an accident. I am just now using a cane with my prosthetic.Phantom pains are major at the moment.
I am concerned about hiking, hunting and getting the animals out. Any thoughts or ideas?
coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coues,

I have a good friend that's in the same situation you are. Guy gets around better than I do with my bum knee. I'm guessing it will take some getting used to, and you'll be sore from time to time (have heard him mention this when on his feet for a long time), but you'll be ok.

Good Luck,

Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunt with friends.

Makes getting the animals out easier even if you have two "good" legs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You clark98ut and
N E 450 No2.
coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coues

Now that I am geting older I am grooming my new hunting buddy, to take care of me in the future.

He is my 11 year old Nephew. He loves to hunt, and to shoot.

I am teaching him now, and I tell him he will have to do this stuff for me when I am to old to do it. Big Grin

On our last deer hunt I had him help me skin a deer.

He skinned the next two by himself. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter is 14 and hunts with me. I am just nervous about things as its only been 1 1/2 months since I got my "new" leg.
Our hunts together mean a great deal.
coues

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear for your loss. I am more worried about the pain than the loss of the lower limb. I am sure you will learn to walk to OK, but chronic pain can be more crippling in the long run. I hope you work with the doctors and do whatever they suggest until you can get the pain down to a manageable level. The nerve that went to your leg is still there and it has sustained significant trauma when it was severed, so it is natural that your brain receives those pain signals. Lots of improvement has been made in pain management, but you have to start right at the onset of pain.

I have a friend who only has her right leg (as in triple amputee). She is a dog breeder and trainer and I have no idea how many miles she walks behind those dogs every year-through rough fields, plowed fields, prairie, and woods. She has something like 5 different paid and volunteer jobs she does. The only thing I can figure is that she has about 28 hours in her days.

I have limited use of my arms and have to get a lot of help hunting at times. Hell, I have to get A LOT of help just with every day living. It has been incredibly humiliating for me to ask for help, but it is the only way I can hunt and live. I can out walk almost anyone. But my arms and hands do not work properly, and some days for all practical purposes not at all. It is a matter of wanting something bad enough and being determined enough to make it happen, no matter what. If you don’t want it, you will spend hunting season watching football in your living room. If you really want it, you will be out there hunting.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im in pt 3 days a week and the doctor has me on meds for pain management. Still the phantom pains can be very bad. The level has changed since Dec. Its like getting tazed repeatadly.
Asking for help was hard. Accepting help is even harder.
My daughter and I after some debate did apply for elk and antelope(mostly her knocking some sence into me)here.
Thank You all
coues

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
coues,

A guy here at work has a prosthetic much like yours on his left leg. He has had it for some time though (about 20 years). He plays competitive soccer religiously and is close to 50. I'm sure it will come around for you and I know you will enjoy your next hunt.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope your pain subsides and you have a very memorable hunting season with your daughter.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
In what state are you located? By your screen name I'm assuming S.W. US?

The reason I'm asking is I know AZ has game laws to accommodate physically challenged hunters. Some of which are being legally able to take game from a vehicle, and having a designated "hunting partner" to hunt with you/for you (whatever your needs are).

A very good friend of mine was a designated hunting partner for his buddy who broke his back in a jeep rollover and couldn't walk 10 feet without his canes. He still hunted with his partner. I'm sure there's a way for you.

I'm not sure about other state's game laws where physical disabilities are concerned, but I would be surprised if laws aren't there to accommodate.

My daughter's 12 and she hunts with me. I know what you mean. It's the best hunting I've ever done.

If you happen to be in AZ, PM me, maybe we can work something out, our daughter's are about the same age. Who knows, could lead to something good for all 4 of us? A guy can never have too many hunting buddies.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You heat,taylorce1 and slowpokeslim. I appreciate all the help,answers.
coues

one of us
posted Hide Post
My father used to hunt with a guy named Willy White and he had his lower right leg amputated below the knee due to bone cancer. It didn't seem to slow him down much. His prosthetic worked well enough for him to get around. He walked a little slower than the rest of us, but he was able to study the cover better and took his fair share of deer.

Later on, they had to take off more of his leg, above the knee and he still hunted with crutches. He could do everything except drag one out. For that we all pitched in and helped. He hunted at least 4 seasons on crutches and then they had to take off his other leg.

He went downhill from there and cancer finally won the fight, but he hunted at least 6 seasons as an amputee that I know of. Nice guy and a good hunter.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 odd years ago my brother lost a leg to a motorcycle wreck,leaving after many sugeries and yrs of healing only about 2" of his ? leg, strange to say couldn't tell you which leg cause i'm so used to it now.
put him on his 1st horse after and he went on to own 8-10 more.
we bird hunt and goose hunt.
he most of the time gets his deer and loves antelope hunting.
he's alitle slower and uses that to his favor,
studying country and sitting in escape routes,
natural bottlenecks, passes, migration routes,
he is farther along with relearning and adjusting to the loss of limb and i wish you godspeed in your healing.
had a grandad with 1 arm, he used to hold the steering wheel with his big belly when shifting gears,taking me fishing or rabbit hunting,when i was 10 yrs old.
these guys have shown me "it can be done"
abit alittle differently.
good luck and good hunting and don't forget to keep in touch and tell us all about it.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Coues,

I had a auto accident in 1979, in 1986 they amputated my leg below the knee. I have a short residual limb and extensive soft tissue damage above and below the knee. This limits the type of prothesis I can wear. I use an Iceross suction socket with pin lock and a standard carbon graphite foot. Having said that I still hunt. I have been to Africa 6 times, Alaska, Western US etc. Steep mountain hunts are the only ones I avoid. I also hunt upland game behind my Brittany quail, grouse and pheasant.

Some issues do exsist, they are.

Hard to go uphill with an ankle that does not bend, downhill is okay. Use a walking stick.
Deep snow and deep mud are tough, it slows you down but you can go through it.
Ice is real tough as your prosthectic leg can be sliding and you do not know it until you take the next step with your good leg. You may end up on the ground. Learning how to fall is a good idea as it happens.
Prothetics are hot so if hunting in hot weather bring shorts and wet ones to clean your stump.
Get a light boot for the artificial leg. If its cold I wear a different warmer boot on real leg and still use light one on prothetic side. Light boots make a big difference at the end of the day.
Get help to get the game out of the woods.
Practice shooting longer ranges as your ability to move stealth like is diminished.

Above all do not let this slow down your hunting where there is a will there is always a way.

You will be up and about quickley and the pain will subside for the most part. At rare times(2-3 times a year) I still get the Taser like pain 30 years later. Why I have no idea.

PM me if you have any more questions.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I applaud all of you that continue to hunt with you injuries.

I know that artificial limbs have come a long way, but I saw something a week or so ago that you might find interesting.

It was an old black and white movie. [Might have been a Ronald Regan movie where he is a Secret Service Agent, there were several of them, I think this might be the third one??] One of the badguys was missing part of his leg, and was desquising himself as a priest.
He was wearing a "real" looking leg".

When his crime was up, and it was time for him to make his escape it showed him wearing a "peg leg", the kind you see in the pirate movies. He made the statement to his "gang" members that he was glsd to be back wearing it, as it was a lot more comfortable.

My point here is, it might be better to have a different prosthetic for hunting. It would not have to look like a "real" leg, but be suitable for use in rough country.

Just a thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much . I am certainly taking the info advice to heart. Im not one to just sit around. Its all still so new to me.
Thank you all again.
coues

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get you the email for my friend who is the triple amputee that raises, trains, and hunts dogs if you like. She really does have something like 5 jobs, one of which is working with new amputees. PM me if you want her email.

And just as a funny footnote-I am meeting her this Friday to give her my dog. For you see, this lady with no arms and no left leg is more physically able to hunt my dog than me! She is a hell of a lady and a real bird hunter to boot.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You
Marc_Stokeld I will pm you.
coues

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
My brother lost part of his anatomy as a teenager, and seeing him battle the phantom limb sensations was tough, but he manages just fine. Where there's a will and all...

This thread is good stuff. Hang in there, guy. You'll figure it out for sure.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have raced off road motorcycles in AMA district 22 for quite a few years. There is a gentleman that races here named Quentin Davis. The first time I met him about twenty years ago, we were out play riding at a guys timber. I thought, "I wonder what he's here for", I soon found out. Quentin is a Vietnam Vet that lost a leg to a land mine. He is a A class rider of the first order, and has spanked me on several occasions out in the timber. He is also my hero. He has a prosthesis but rarely wears it, says it just slows n him down. There is also my friend Rick Stockman, he works in the purchasing department where I work. Rick lost both arms in a farming accident almost thirty years ago. He doesn't consider himself handicapped, and there is little he can't do if he sets his mind to it. He plays golf (frighteningly well, and something of a shark) and last fall he was looking for a new .22 to plink with. He also councils amputees, and speaks publicly on the subject. The one thing these guys have in common is ATTITUDE, and they will tell you, that's the main thing that makes or breaks you. Go hunting and don't look Back!

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I am grateful. I walked for the first time without my cane today in PT.
Small step but I was and still am a bit excited.IT Was awkward but I did it.
Thank You all again
coues

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Good to hear of the progress coues. As you can now see, it will come to you. Just some determination, patience and some time and you'll be there.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Than You heat.
I am taking it slow. Do ing exactly what the PT and Docs say. If drawn for elk or antelope Id like to be ready hunt with my girl.
Derrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have even more reasons to work hard. My daughter and I drew dec antlerless elk tags
here in Az.I Didnt draw antelope, but oh well. I will have 18 points next year.
Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words.
coues

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
What a draw coues! Which unit?

Ken....

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who lost both lower legs to a land-mine in Vietnam. He hunts all the time, and most folks don't even know he has two prosthetic legs. He even trailers his horses out West to hunt elk. So Good Luck, and keep up the effort.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heat ,
we drew 5bn again. Will have to keep up the work outs and PT. Hopefully I can line up a bit of help for this hunt with the prosthetic.
coues

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sat here looking at the keyboard trying to come up with some advice to give you.Here it is.Be tough and determined.I get that from watching my wife.She is a cancer survivor and has had 2 total knee replacements ,two total hip replacements,plus numerous other health problems due to Chemo and Radiation.She always is upbeat and determined that no matter what comes her way she will over come it.She also will not let any physical impairment get in the way of doing what she wants to do.Good luck!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You OLBIKER
coues

one of us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER My hat is off to your wife.

A few years ago I had some serious knee surgery.
In therapy I met a lady that had both or her knees replaced at the same time. Eeker

She was a real trooper. Because of my job I was "assigned" to therapy twice as often as normal. The Therapy girls nearly killed me.

But in the end they had "done me good".

coues, the bottom line is, "do not wimp out". but also be aware that a "man knows his limitations". This applies if your are a 25 year old Olympic Athlete, or "some what less than a perfect specimen".

In other words, tune your hunts to your physical ability, and have fun.

After all THE FUN is what it is all about.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Well it has been a couple of weeks that I have been back to work now. Still have the phantom pains(badly) and DR. appointments, but it feels good, almost normal. Helped finish building 3 green houses, using a back hoe and bobcat and doing equipment maintenance. I have been driving on the job, not ready for in town yet. Jobs are usually out in the country. The part that's meant the most (every little thing means a great deal!!!) is being able to drive the water truck again. Its an older kenworth 4000 gal 13 speed truck. It takes some gymnastics to get into it though. High steps and all. Made it work without my right leg, working the brake gas and clutch with the left .
I get more breaks because my stamina and strength are off and because of the pains. Everyone is very helpful and understanding. Sometimes a wave of guilt will hit and other times my own feelings of being a bit inept hit as well. The being a burden to others is a bit hard to shake as well. Still working through that and everything that has happened.
I have had a couple of adjustments made to my prosthetic and am walking fairly well with cane. The prostisist(sp) has been very helpful as have all the Dr.'s I see.
Thank You all for your encouragement and help. Also for the emails and PM's. You have all been a help through this.
coues

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are only limited to your own drive, determination, and imagination. Good for you getting back after it! thumb

My cousin who is probably 55 now, lost his leg to cancer, right above the knee,he was in his 20's then,and at the time he worked for UP raliroad, he was a lineman for them, climbed poles, power and communication. After he lost the leg they wanted to put him in a lower paying desk job or put him out on disability. He had no part of it, got his prosthetic, started climbing a pole in front of his house for hours at a time. He managed to get the union to fight for him to be retested to climb and get his job back. He passed and worked for several years climbing poles until they switched his classification to work on microwave communication and pretty much have done away with pole climbers.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coues

Sounds like you are doing good.

Do not be afraid to ask for help or instructions on dealing with your condition.

If I need help in an area I am not an expert in I seek an expert in that area.

As to the Phantom Pain, seek advice from an expert, and if medication is necessary, then take it. There is NO SHAME in taking proper medication. Phantom Pain is real.

Your Life has changed, use proper Science to your advantage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Botswana in 1987 with a young PH who had lost one leg from the knee down. Had a hard time keeping up with him part of the time. Did not slow him down at all and we were hunting dangerous game. Luck to you!

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Impressive attitudes, my congratulations to you guys!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
A little different but I have a friend who shoots rifle having lost an arm on a m/cycle way back, he still has phantoms but puts up with it, he also manages to run his own one man log/wood processing business, he tried many prosthetics & eventually found the right one, like others post hunt with friends, it makes for better experiences. Hope you feel better soon, Steve. thumb

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Glad to see it's coming around coues. Perseverance on your part is certainly showing positive results, good for you. Just a short while from now you'll be pretty much back to your old self. thumb

Ken....

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
coues,

That's great news on the tags! I have hunted 5B south for many years for elk, mostly cow tags. They should be in there!

My offer still stands to come along and help out. I will be moving/packing the end of this month through the 1st week of June, so about next week my internet will go dark and I'll have all my stuff packed and offline. Not to worry, I'm only moving a short distance away, I'll still be in Phoenix, AZ. I'll monitor the forum until then, and I will be back online by middle of June at the latest.

I didn't draw any elk tags for myself or my daughter, so I'll have the time to come. I have GPS and USGS maps of the entire unit 5 area at my disposal. I can offer myself, for physical hiking, packing, skinning, quartering, etc. Plus I can offer 20+ years of elk experience in the close proximity to your hunt area. I have sharp knives, heavy duty game hangers, block and tackles, an (old) heavy duty 4x4 pickup, a 6 man tent, 2 extra camp cots, or for luxury sleeping, a queen sized air bed on a fold up platform so you are not on the ground, a quality tent heater, I have a large 3 burner Camp Chef propane stove with 2 burner griddle and 2 burner grill box, and can even loan out a 338 win mag that has scored every elk it's ever been pointed at with one authoritative shot.

I do not ask for, nor will I accept ANY FORM of payment for these services. I may only need a little help with gas expenses if we need/take my 4x4, it's old, but tough as nails, unfortunately it gets 6 mpg (old dodge, big block 440 engine). If my wife, who's an out of work chemical engineer can get a job by then (she's been out of work since last Oct-which is why we're moving), I will not even need/accept assistance for gas (if my truck is even needed- don't know what your vehicle situation is, or if you even need it).

I do not make this offer lightly, or without complete sincerity. You would owe me nothing but a handshake and a share of the experience. I ask for nothing else.

Let me know.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what say..
PM sent

Thank You all for everything
Derrick