New
Find
Notify
Tools

30" cull buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought this was an interesting deer. A little history first. Me and my hunting partner have the hunting rights to over 30,000 acres in the panhandle of Texas where he lives. We have been watching this particular buck for two years now. Last year he was a typical 2x2 with brow tines, no kickers or abnormal points, he was heavy and wide and mature and obviously a buck that needed to be taken out of the gene pool. We never did get to take him last year. This year back in November we had a picture of this deer on a trail camera. This year he had developed crab claws on 3 of his main points and 3 kickers off of the back tines. He was obviously wider and heavier. I decided this was the deer I wanted to take. I rodeo for a living and was in Las Vegas competing at the National Finals Rodeo for the first 15 days of Dec, then christmas, new years etc....With all of this I never got back to the panhandle to hunt this deer until the last weekend of season (for those of you that are Texans and are know that mule deer season is closed, we have MLD permits which allow us to take Mulies until Whitetail season closes) My hunting partner had been trying to find this deer for the last month to no avail. I got to the ranch on this past Friday at 4 we went to the area where we he had seen the buck in Nov. and by 5:30 we had him on the ground. The deer ended up being 30 1/2" wide with 11 scoreable points. He ended up being 6 1\2 years old and was in my opinion a genuinely great cull buck. Hope yall enjoy the story.

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider him a cull, but I rather like him and would consider him a fine trophy actually.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
That's no cull. That's just a great Texas muley. Congratulations on a hard sought after deer.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Cull or not, I would shoot him. Cograts!!!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope I did'nt give the impression that I do not consider him a trophy, as I am still on cloud 9, I consider this to be one of my best trophies. When I said cull I mean the is deer was 6 1/2 before he ever grew any forks, you know the typical forked 4x4 frame of a Muley, and probably does not posess the type of gene to produce offspring with lots of points and thus high score, thats all I meant. Believe me there were some really good bucks with this deer, one probably would be over 175", but I was not about to pass this wide mature old deer, especially after seeing him in person, I still think wow!
Thanks for the Congrats
Jason

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
PRCA Million Dollar Club

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate you!!!!!!!! MadJus kiddin congrats. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Hey, feel free to show me where I can get a crack at a few "cull" bucks!!!

FWIW, I like unusual deer.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Silwane,
thats a great buck. Congrats. I know you are jazzed. Happy new year and the best of health and luck to you and yours.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That is a tremendous buck! Congrats!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice buck, good job!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck..

But in the top photo how do you get shadows of the antlers against the sky? bewildered

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Nice buck..

But in the top photo how do you get shadows of the antlers against the sky? bewildered

I hate when people question photos but this one is valid. Not only do we have shadows but the guys left ear seems to be only half there bewildered

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Old, wide, and not thin. Wonderful buck. Congratulaions.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Nice buck..

I hate when people question photos but this one is valid. Not only do we have shadows but the guys left ear seems to be only half there bewildered

A. Tornado the Terrible hooked him back in the rodeo championship back in '01, and it cost him.

B. He's directly related to the invisible man, and occasionally when sweating, his flesh paint washes off.

C. He discovered at a young age that a telephone was not to be mistaken ever again for a wheel grinder.

D. I have no idea, but agreed, it appears a trifle fishy!

KG

P.S. Just funnin' on the comments above. That's a handsome animal. Even if he's made partially of electrons... Wink

D

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
sure looks like it was taken with a studio back drop.but why? nilly

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of amazed he's already that far down hill at 6.5 years...?

Good buck to take out though, he has some width and that is about it. I'm really amazed he doesn't have any forks or 1's to speak of.

Those pics out side have some beautiful backgrounds. If you get a lil closer to the deer next time it may even show them off a lil better? Perhaps?

Just a thought.

Thx for sharing.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!!! beer
What a buck!!

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man you guys are hard!!! Just kidding, I agree there are some valid questions above. Almost all of the pictures we took of that deer had double images on them, and I am very dissapointed. what appears to be shadows of the horns on the background, if you look at the whole picture especially my head, are actually a double image. This is why I included the picture of my holding just the horns in my office.
The pictures were taken in almost complete darkness. Below you will see a picture of my buck taken with my cell phone which has a flash, and you can tell how dark it was. I do not know why the camera caused the double images. Below are two pictures I also took that night in Ikes garage of a Mulie he took a month ago, the images are both messed up?? I also put a closer photo like Mark suggested above, it cut a little of the nose off though. My friend that took the pics said he couldnt see through the viwfinder because it was too dark, so he would take a picture and use the flash to see and make a quick adjustment and take another picture with me and the deer hopefully centered in it.
Thanks for all the nice comments and not trying to get over on anyone just camera issues.
Jason

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
PRCA Million Dollar Club