New
Find
Notify
Tools

Success in Texas - Chaparral WMA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In 20 years of applying for the Texas public hunts, I have managed to hit the lottery twice. Once was a Choke Canyon muzzleloader hunt I was unable to attend due to a death in the family, and this year a Chaparral WMA hunt in January with my hunting partner.

Flew in from Idaho to San Antonio and rented a car, got down and sighted in rifles over the weekend, learned the areas once they allowed us on to scout, and attended the orientation Monday morning. I had actually drawn tag number 001, so had first choice of any compartment for a small hunting group (1-2). Dave Synatzske is the manager and does a great job. Wanted to provide more opportunity and drew a few standby hunters also.

Finally it was the moment of truth and I think we shocked everyone in the room when we picked the smallest compartment, and relativly close to all the traffic areas and headquarters. All the right signs were there, tho, and we found good stands and plenty of visibility.

The weather cooperated, it was cold and South Texas drizzle, and the rut picked back up. I saw 40 bucks in 5 days from two stands.

Out of the 20 bucks taken, we managed four of them - 2 trophies and 2 management bucks (5.5 and 157#, 6.5 at 151#, 6.5 at 131#, and 7.5+ years old who was a worn down 125#).

Paul's 14 point buck was the largest taken this year at 172" gross. I actually saw him earlier, and wrote down his characteristics but had no shot. Couldn't have been happier for him, tho, went it came down his sendero.

I passed up bigger and older deer with great frames but busted tines, and video'd them all, knowing they were mine for the taking. Looked for the monster I knew was hiding there, but it was not to be. I was happy to take this nice 10 point the last evening.

Classic Texas deer hunting at its finest, and met a wonderful bunch of people. Now if it will only happen again in less than 20 years, I'll be a happy camper!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! Congratulations!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats are definitely in order! Some very nice bucks have been taken there over the years, and -- thanks to being patient and not shooting the first buck that appeared -- you guys were able to tag some bruisers.

Nicely done! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and great bucks! Knowing what you are doing helps!!!

Well done!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some fine Bucks indeed, congratulations on-the-draw, and to both you and your Hunting buddy. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've put in for the Chaparral WMA for years!!! I am glad to see someone get drawn and show the big, free-range deer that can be taken in Texas on State-owned land. Thanks for the post... gives me hope I might actually be drawn one day. Very nice deer btw.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for the comments and congrats. It really is a fun hunt. The entire staff went out of their way to make it enjoyable. Several of the drawn permitees took advantage of the dove/quail hunt prior to the deer hunt to really scout it out properly.

During the orientation, they showed us some slides of monster deer seen from the helicopter during surveys. None of these deer were harvested during any of the hunts this year, so there are still some monsters out there. Here's one someone lost on a hunt and is mounted in the office.

Talked with some of the hopeful standby hunters, and learned some interesting facts. One guy had never drawn a permit, but had been drawn 3 times on the standby chance. Another had hunted it twice before on standby.

Had a little excitement one afternoon when a couple guys got pulled over by DPS. They drove thru the WMA fence, led a wild chase around and back to the hole and found USBP there by then. Abandoned the vehicle and jackrabbited off on foot. They put a helo and a light fixed-wing aircraft on them the rest of the afternoon, but they escaped. That crap is thick down there - the deer can definately escape when they want to by ducking for cover.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Neat trip, excellent trophies.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt. I currently have 14 points and have been trying to get drawn there.

Sounds like you had a great time and got to experience some Texas' finest managed property.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That deer in the last photo looks like a coloscopy gone bad.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to see your report as I recall your earlier post when you drew the tags, I think it was ya'll. Congrats on some great free range S.Texas whitetails (no high fence here boyz!). Drive within ten miles of the Chap on my way South to my deer lease and we are yet to tag out. Still have hope but seeing many broken up bucks - we have way too many doe on our MLD program land.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic deer! You and Paul did good, is he gonna have room for more taxidermy?

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Muy congratiosos. Y'all did extremely well. And how nice it is for guys from the great northwest to have an appreciation for the south Texas brush country. May you come back often and have great success.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX: Looking like the only way to get a bigger trophy room is for Paul to attach it to a new house! That would sure slow down his hunting, knowing his wife's taste in furnishing! Did the trophies from Zim ever arrive? We are ready for another trip. My friends from Namibia will be here for the weekend, before Reno, and might have to give them a deposit also.

CH: Thanks. We love the South Texas deer country and look forward to a trip every year. Took out 6 pigs, some quail, and a turkey while I was at Uvalde, after our Chap WMA hunt. Trying to line up a new lease with some exotics on it now.

IDE: Sorry, just read your post. That weird looking mount was exactly as the deer was looking when shot. The lower jaw was deformed, with severe undershot. The hunter had a replica done for TPWD, and the taxidermist said he could make it normal. No way says he; mount it like he lived!

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great bucks. Congrats.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'd say you guys did very well, congrats!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but the Chap is high fenced. Congratulations on a great hunt.

Does anyone know if Texas limits non-resident hunters drawing for public hunts like most if not all the western states?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M16,you are correct,the chaparral is all high fenced,in fact the eastmost pasture(640 acres)is high fenced from the rest of the pastures.

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote