New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range of a .375 H & H???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a .375 for fun, and was wondering what the max distance of a .375 is (for a normal average shooter shooting a typical sized factory ammoSmiler). What I mean by this is, when does the bullet fall of drastically or accuracy starts to get unreliable..
I just want to know what I can expect my hunting range to be with this gun, with normal practice with a scope of course.
My main use of this gun (besides just having fun with it_ in the next few years is Trophy alligator (11-12 feet), and i figuire to use this gun so I can feel like I am hutning crocs in africaSmiler, SHiras moose hunt cuase this is what my guide perfers, and it sounds fun to hunt with, and then my biggy coastal brown bear in several years.
Thanks,
W.SmilerSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you are using factory ammo, just go to their web site and look at their ballistic tables. The 375 h&h starts dropping pretty fast past 200yds. Also the game you mentioned will be closer shots.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to keep my .375 on the short side of 300. It's not like it doesn't have plenty of horsepower, but the wind will eat you alive when you stretch things.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
think of it as an overgrown 30:06.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

With a 260-270 gr spitzer you'll have almost the same trajectory as a 30-06 with 180 gr bullet. That means to me that 300-350 yard shots are completely doable. As for accuracy a 375 can be a real tackdriver.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what mark has said

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I've shot sable at 350 yds. (two 300grain NPs thru the chest) and knocked down a wounded topi at about 500 yds. On the sable I was using the sitting PH's shoulder for a rest. The topi knock down was a lucky shot that broke both right legs and was preceded by a couple of misses after initally breaking his left shoulder at 250 yds.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Woodsie,

With a 260-270 gr spitzer you'll have almost the same trajectory as a 30-06 with 180 gr bullet. That means to me that 300-350 yard shots are completely doable. As for accuracy a 375 can be a real tackdriver.

Mark
tu2 tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
300 grain TSX at 2,500 fps is 2" high at 100 yards and 10 inches low at 300 yards.

It also flattens zebra at 302 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
I like to keep my .375 on the short side of 300. It's not like it doesn't have plenty of horsepower, but the wind will eat you alive when you stretch things.

Dogleg,

You can mathematically prove that at some point, wind becomes the limitation for all rounds.

I agree with you 1000%.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 10 yards, if you have a good arm.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Practice out as far as you can shoot, take a range finder, get as close as you can, then closer, and then fire! 300 yards is a good distance.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is very impressive. As Mark said, the 270 gr. spitzer mirrors the 180 gr. 30-06 trajectory. I have taken many Australian water buffalo out at over 200 yds with one shot using the old 270 gr. Barnes. With that same bullet, I got a lucky shot and killed a big male baboon at 560 yds.

For practice, try using the 235 gr. Speer. It can be safely driven over 2,900 fps. It also works well on "smaller" game like oryx and wildebeest. The 375 H&H is, no doubt, my favorite cartridge.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I like to keep under 200 yards, but have gone as far as 350 yards with 260 grain Accubonds.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the most accurate rifles I have.

I shot a mule deer at over 400 yards once.

I shoot 260 grain partitions for all the north american stuff, although those loads worked well on eland, zebra and wildebeest too.

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All depends on you knowing how the rifle shoots.

Personally, I once shot a zebra with mine that was wounded by someone else at just over 400 yards. Under normal circumstances, I probably would not have tried that shot.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guessing you got your new baby sorted by now - but just to mirror what has been already said.

The trajectory mirrors the '06 and that makes it totally instinctive for most shooters. Of more importance is bullet construction. With good accuracy, the likes of the TTSX allows you to go down to 235 & 270gn, (flatter trajectory) while still maintaining excellent terminal performance.

Also - be very sure as to the terrain you will be encountering. My first trip to RSA had me expecting 60m shots in tight cover. The 1-4x scope with thick reticle that I selected, proved not ideal when shown open veldt and far off Black Springbok!

My first shot in Africa was 340m! Knowing the trajectory made it a one shot affair. That's the beauty of the .375!

Good choice. Smiler

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
This girl shoots her 375 to 400 yards+

http://www.blackbearheaven.com...ord-girzzly-bear.htm

http://www.barnesbullets.com/w...archive/fern-rivers/

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote