New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Skull Size vs. Lion Age!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
We don't weigh lion, just leopards...... The skulls are rough measured in the field by the Ph if the client wants to know. Otherwise, all trophies are measured at the head office trophy dpt by PH's and exceptional trophies by a master measurer. As I said, maybe we are measuring too conservatively Smiler

the full measurements of the 20 13/16 skull is:
Length = 12 14/16
Width = 7 15/16

even if we say 13" + 8" it is still only 21"

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
We don't weigh lion, just leopards...... The skulls are rough measured in the field by the Ph if the client wants to know. Otherwise, all trophies are measured at the head office trophy dpt by PH's and exceptional trophies by a master measurer. As I said, maybe we are measuring too conservatively Smiler

the full measurements of the 20 13/16 skull is:
Length = 12 14/16
Width = 7 15/16

even if we say 13" + 8" it is still only 21"

Ya like I say, I believe you, its just hard to believe? He's like a midget lion!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have to throw in my two cents here. Well thankfully must of us here are wanting to hunt wild lions. As a result we are realizing we have to manage existing populations to sustain that over time. As with any managed species for both sustainability and trophy quality age is a critical factor. Here is the bumber. There is no specific answer. At best any individual on these forums who travels to an area and shoots one lion off of a property in Africa will at best make a guess as to the age of the lion. The most educated and refined theories as to a lion's age will have to be determined by the individuals that are managing the concession. These people should be developing what is referred to as "trend data". Each time a lion is shot in a specific area the trend data must be collected and analyzed in comparison with previous trend data. This type of data can vary widely from species to species. I would propose that each lion shot needs to be weighed. Once with guts in and once with guts out. Next I would propose a lenght measurement from tip of nose, along the curve, to the base of the tail. We would also want a girth measurement around the chest directly behind the scapulas. As for the skull I believe a width + lenght measurment would be beneficial. Special note should be taken maybe with accompanied photos of all teeth, and the size of the sagittal crest. I wish there was a very accurate way to measure sagittal crest development but I believe it is mostly an eyeball interpretation One other piece fo data I would be interested in is to see if the frontal bones in fron of the Sagittal crest could be drilled and take a measurement of how thick they are. I have noticed skull development in ruminants thickens these bones even after typical maturity has been reached and bone growth stops in the rest of the body. Whether this type of bone development occurs in lions, I am not sure, but I would find out. With this trend data the biologists could start narrowing their range of deviation and get some very accurate numbers for cat's ages. Here is the hard part for people to understand. This trend data is almost useless when used in a different area. For instance, trend data collected over a decade in Matetsi will do you very little good if used to age lions in the Selous. Government agaencies that are using aging criteria not taylored to specific areas are doing little more than restricting management based on childish guesses. A good biologist will also compare percieved changes in the lion physiology with ecological changes that occur within the hunting area such as disease outbreaks, changes in carrying acapacity, population densities of both target species and prey, etc... So if we are interested in aging lions we need to make note of these skull measurements, but they better be accompanied with pages of other data, collected over time, and interpreted by diligent professionals that always keep a finger on the pulse of the lands they are managing.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
At best any individual on these forums who travels to an area and shoots one lion off of a property in Africa will at best make a guess as to the age of the lion.

However...exact age is not needed to contribute to good conservation. Age categories can be learned to be recognized fairly easily with a little homework. Five and greater lions exhibit enough distiguishable phenotypic characteristics to minimalize the margin of error most of the time. And for the record...all of the lions we (Aaron, I & other LCTF members) criticized on AR were known to be young by the PH's that took them BEFORE the shot was fired.

The most educated and refined theories as to a lion's age will have to be determined by the individuals that are managing the concession. These people should be developing what is referred to as "trend data".

Exactly...this is what Bwanamich has been practicing and preaching for a long time now.

Here is the hard part for people to understand. This trend data is almost useless when used in a different area.

I think USELESS is a bit too strong. Certainly there will be differences.

Lane in Red

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think USELESS is a bit too strong. Certainly there will be differences.

Trend data sharing between different locations and ecosystems for even the same species is horrible science. It is like sharing dirty needles amongst patients. You are running a very high risk of failing in your objectives and worse loosing credibility when issues arise and management decisions have to be made by executives, or even worse politicians. It has been the actual weapon that antis have used against us time and again in many situations of species management. We could be just as in danger of PH's who pick and choose the criteria for which they choose lions for killing from trend data that most supports their pocket books. At best trend data is shared between areas can be used as maybe a learning tool to show other biologists how ecological factors effected populations and physiology of species and at what times, along with propper data collection, and what types of data collected.

On a side note your point as to only five lions being adequate for learning pheotypes within an area I would have to disagree. If you use phenotypic characteristics from a small pool to judge what cats get killed you may just be implementing a selective harvest that can extinguish a genotype. For instance if you only shoot male lions with black nose pads, it is not inconcievable that in two decades there may not be any lions with black nose pads and plenty of 9 year old cats being passed up because they have pink on their nose. However I do understand because of how properties and concessions quickly change hands and data is lost and gained as a result that a pool of only five lions may be all a biologist has within his area. Truthfuly that is a horrible pool to build statistics off of but we all play the hands we are dealt. Hopefully with time the biologist will have a much larger data pool to draw from and the mean deviation of his data will get smaller.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a side note your point as to only five lions being adequate for learning pheotypes within an area I would have to disagree. If you use phenotypic characteristics from a small pool to judge what cats get killed you may just be implementing a selective harvest that can extinguish a genotype.

NOT...if those phenotypes shot correlate well with the specific males who will likely not or have passed the age of passing on their traits.

I am going to see if Bwanamich will chime in on your trend data comment...if he doesn't I will at a later time.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOT...if those phenotypes shot correlate well with the specific males who will likely not or have passed the age of passing on their traits.

Excellent! As if guessing lion ages on the hoof wasn't hard enough now we will be able to know whether a cat is undersexed enough for killing. If you know exactly how much sex a cat is having are you realy hunting a free range lion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

Excellent! As if guessing lion ages on the hoof wasn't hard enough now we will be able to know whether a cat is undersexed enough for killing. If you know exactly how much sex a cat is having are you realy hunting a free range lion?

Sir,
You made some valid points earlier...I agreed with you. Now...I am not sure where you are coming from.

Males are usually kicked out of prides as 2 year olds. 2-4 year old lions wonder as nomads in small coalitions and sometimes singly. These young males probably breed with the odd females that are with out a pride or maybe even the odd pride female when the pride-male is on walk about. Pride holding males are ~5-7 usually. They breed the majority of females. Males 8 & > are generally reproductively unsound...doesn't matter if they breed or not. Males that are 6-7 that are not holding a pride are probably not for a reason...they are inferior to current pride males.

So...if you limit shooting to 6 and greater of NON-pride-holding males...you are probably not affecting the natuaral selection of the gene pool. Phenotypic characteristics with experience can get you into this age range with ~90% correctness.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sir,
You made some valid points earlier...I agreed with you. Now...I am not sure where you are coming from.

Males are usually kicked out of prides as 2 year olds. 2-4 year old lions wonder as nomads in small coalitions and sometimes singly. These young males probably breed with the odd females that are with out a pride or maybe even the odd pride female when the pride-male is on walk about. Pride holding males are ~5-7 usually. They breed the majority of females. Males 8 & > are generally reproductively unsound...doesn't matter if they breed or not. Males that are 6-7 that are not holding a pride are probably not for a reason...they are inferior to current pride males.

So...if you limit shooting to 6 and greater of NON-pride-holding males...you are probably not affecting the natuaral selection of the gene pool. Phenotypic characteristics with experience can get you into this age range with ~90% correctness.

And here is the problem of overlapping interpreted data from one region to another. At best these are assumptions for lions studied in one region and now you beleive it is perfectly OK to transfer these conclusions onto all lion populations. The truth is some lions operate populations in areas where there is no "pride" structure and females most commonly hunt and range alone. There are other lion populations where 3 and 4 year old males are tolerated inside prides with a dominate male tolerating their presence. Here is the other kicker, some males get kicked out of a pride only to come back later and retake it. Most male lions 8+ years of age are perfectly capable of copulating with a female. Basicly there have been plenty of lions all over the african continent that have died without a tooth left in their head and not a smudge of black anywhere on their nose pad. But because someone did a lion study involving one population of lions in Ngorogoro now everyone believes only a black nosed lion is a mature lion.

As for your assumption that a PH will know with %90 correctness how old a lion is, I doubt the number is that high. Now assuming he is an ethical PH he will more than likely be trying to shoot as old a lion as he can find for us, but the reality again isn't all that good. Very often our shots at lion can be less than a few seconds in low light under high pressure situations. That alone will effect any humans judgement no matter how prepared he may be. For instance a study was done here in Texas to test the accuracy of using lower jaws for adging whitetailed deer. Not the general public, but actual state biologists were tested on known deer jaws that the ages of the deer were specificaly known to the people giving the test. Deer at .5 years of age were guessed %100 of the time. Deer at 1.5 years of age were guessed correctly ~%95. Deer at 2.5 years of age were guessed corectly less than %75 and deer older than 2.5 years of age were guessed corectly less than %10 of the time. This is the problem of sharing dirty needles that I spoke of before. We can compile mountians of trend data over time that aids us in managing specific populations. The minute you take such data and treat as law within the biological community and began training your future biologists and ecologists with it you are infecting them and all the executive decisions they have to make with that data with a disease that is destined to fail. I am glad that you and many others on this site are so interested in managing the sustained killing of lions. That is a great start. But the reality is we have to have PH's and managers in Africa that behave as scientists that collect population specific data to make specific management decisions for their populations only. The fact that lion management is dictated by national governments, treaties, and even worse the foriegn governments, are almost insuring that lion managemnt will fail. I can gaurantee if management was was left up only to each operator and they decided the number, sex and age structure of what cats get shot, you would see a very wide range of cats you would not think fall within your criteria for shooting, but are perfectly OK.

So here is my question. If you are hunting lion and you have a male that looks to be at least six years old but is feeding all by himself and you haven't even seen a trace of a female around him for days, How do you determine whether he is the "pride male"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you can be accurate to a point but not perfect. I don't think any of us think everyone will be perfect. The lions that have been under discussion were plainly not old mature lions by anyones standard. To answer your question I could not say for sure he was prideless but if he was or looked to be over six years old I would probably shoot him. If I did that and posted his picture the antis would not send it in to use against hunters. To me that is important, saying to yourself and your PH that no one will use that mature lion against us. I am not perfect and I don't think anyone posting is but good judgement can and should be used.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by smarterthanu:
And here is the problem of overlapping interpreted data from one region to another.

Sir,
First let me state that I am NOT trying to say that I am smarterthanu.
Cool

Secondly, let me say that almost every medical decision made today is based on small population trends from small population studies and restrospective reports. I am not saying that they are the end-all-beat-all last word as sometimes they get it wrong. But, they are the best thing we have to go on in most instances and more often than not...they work for the general population.

At best these are assumptions for lions studied in one region and now you beleive it is perfectly OK to transfer these conclusions onto all lion populations.

They are based on multiple region studies. Not all inclusive...but multiple rgion.

The truth is some lions operate populations in areas where there is no "pride" structure and females most commonly hunt and range alone.

Agreed! But an exception rather than the rule.

There are other lion populations where 3 and 4 year old males are tolerated inside prides with a dominate male tolerating their presence.

Like these bleow???

This is a pride in the Karamoja region of Ugnada. The darker maned male is the pride holder. He is known to be 8 years old. The lighter maned male with some spots still on his hind legs is a 4 year old son that lives in the same pride and is tolerated.

Here is the other kicker, some males get kicked out of a pride only to come back later and retake it.

Agreed! Probably does happen from time-to-time. Sir, you are citing exceptions not the rules. After we fix the hard stuff...we can go on to the impossible...if you catch my drift. Smiler

Most male lions 8+ years of age are perfectly capable of copulating with a female.

Copulation is one thing...pregnancy is an altogether different thing. And...since I have read most of the data out there...you have no idea either when the average male throughout all of Africa goes sterile. Wink

Basicly there have been plenty of lions all over the african continent that have died without a tooth left in their head and not a smudge of black anywhere on their nose pad.

And you accused me of assumptions! Unless you are The Almighty Hisself...you cannot validate this statement. Although, I am not saying the black-nose pad is the end-all-beat-all either.

But because someone did a lion study involving one population of lions in Ngorogoro now everyone believes only a black nosed lion is a mature lion.

FYI...the bulk of the study was conducted in the Serengeti National Park with input from the Selous, Tarangire, Niassa National Park in Mosambique, and Hawage in Zim. Wink

As for your assumption that a PH will know with %90 correctness how old a lion is, I doubt the number is that high.

A trained PH that is worth his salt will!

Now assuming he is an ethical PH he will more than likely be trying to shoot as old a lion as he can find for us, but the reality again isn't all that good.

Sir, That is an incorrect statement. If they know which end of the elephant the tits are on...they can keep from shootin' a 2 or 3 year old. And if they have seen a lion or two and tried to learn a little...they won't miss a 4 year old. And that sir is what we have been seeing over in the Hunt Report section...2 & 3 year olds...inexcusable! You know, if we just stop that...we have gone a long way.

Very often our shots at lion can be less than a few seconds in low light under high pressure situations. That alone will effect any humans judgement no matter how prepared he may be.

If you are NOT sure...don't pull the trigger.

I am glad that you and many others on this site are so interested in managing the sustained killing of lions. That is a great start.

Sir,
Why don't you e-mail and become a member of the LCTF and advise us???

But the reality is we have to have PH's and managers in Africa that behave as scientists that collect population specific data to make specific management decisions for their populations only.

This a good thing!

The fact that lion management is dictated by national governments, treaties, and even worse the foriegn governments, are almost insuring that lion managemnt will fail.

Agreed!!!

I can gaurantee if management was was left up only to each operator and they decided the number, sex and age structure of what cats get shot, you would see a very wide range of cats you would not think fall within your criteria for shooting, but are perfectly OK.

For some...that would be true...for others...they would fail miserably. BTW...nobody forces an operator to shoot a single cat out of their blocks.

So here is my question. If you are hunting lion and you have a male that looks to be at least six years old but is feeding all by himself and you haven't even seen a trace of a female around him for days, How do you determine whether he is the "pride male"?

First, let me first say there is NO fool-proof way...as you know. But, if the operators are out in there blocks alot, keeping notes of known prides and their males, if they are baiting and watching these males for a while before shooting, and if they are using game cameras to monitor baits and see what is happening while they are not there...they can minimize the taking of pride males.[QUOTE]

Lane in Red above.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sir,
First let me state that I am NOT trying to say that I am smarterthanu.

Secondly, let me say that almost every medical decision made today is based on small population trends from small population studies and restrospective reports. I am not saying that they are the end-all-beat-all last word as sometimes they get it wrong. But, they are the best thing we have to go on in most instances and more often than not...they work for the general population.

This ain't medicine.

At best these are assumptions for lions studied in one region and now you beleive it is perfectly OK to transfer these conclusions onto all lion populations.

They are based on multiple region studies. Not all inclusive...but multiple rgion.

The truth is some lions operate populations in areas where there is no "pride" structure and females most commonly hunt and range alone.

Agreed! But an exception rather than the rule.

You are assuming this to be the fact so you can keep the arguement going.

There are other lion populations where 3 and 4 year old males are tolerated inside prides with a dominate male tolerating their presence.

Like these bleow???

This is a pride in the Karamoja region of Ugnada. The darker maned male is the pride holder. He is known to be 8 years old. The lighter maned male with some spots still on his hind legs is a 4 year old son that lives in the same pride and is tolerated.

Here is the other kicker, some males get kicked out of a pride only to come back later and retake it.

Agreed! Probably does happen from time-to-time. Sir, you are citing exceptions not the rules. After we fix the hard stuff...we can go on to the impossible...if you catch my drift.

If every arguement has exceptions you pretty much have no rules.

Most male lions 8+ years of age are perfectly capable of copulating with a female.

Copulation is one thing...pregnancy is an altogether different thing. And...since I have read most of the data out there...you have no idea either when the average male throughout all of Africa goes sterile.

Whether he goes sterile or not matters very little. He will still partake in infanticide and behave just like a regular lion. He doesn't read the medical journals.

Basicly there have been plenty of lions all over the african continent that have died without a tooth left in their head and not a smudge of black anywhere on their nose pad.

And you accused me of assumptions! Unless you are The Almighty Hisself...you cannot validate this statement. Although, I am not saying the black-nose pad is the end-all-beat-all either.

But because someone did a lion study involving one population of lions in Ngorogoro now everyone believes only a black nosed lion is a mature lion.

FYI...the bulk of the study was conducted in the Serengeti National Park with input from the Selous, Tarangire, Niassa National Park in Mosambique, and Hawage in Zim.

OKYDOKY. Then lets see their data and see how many individuals deviated from their ideal nose color. If they say none did then you know as well as I that this was crappy science and they are cooking the books. Now lets see how many were studied in hunting concessions, individuals that live in neither park areas or hunting concessions, or what these cat's diets were, or even better the percent of day spent in daylight to percent of day spent under darkness.

As for your assumption that a PH will know with %90 correctness how old a lion is, I doubt the number is that high.

A trained PH that is worth his salt will!

I guess you didn't learn anything from my aging deer example.

Now assuming he is an ethical PH he will more than likely be trying to shoot as old a lion as he can find for us, but the reality again isn't all that good.

Sir, That is an incorrect statement. If they know which end of the elephant the tits are on...they can keep from shootin' a 2 or 3 year old. And if they have seen a lion or two and tried to learn a little...they won't miss a 4 year old. And that sir is what we have been seeing over in the Hunt Report section...2 & 3 year olds...inexcusable! You know, if we just stop that...we have gone a long way.

?

Very often our shots at lion can be less than a few seconds in low light under high pressure situations. That alone will effect any humans judgement no matter how prepared he may be.

If you are NOT sure...don't pull the trigger.

Nobody can be sure! Sure we can maked educated guesses but there is no sure bet. That's why its hunting! That's part of the appeal of cat hunting. Cat hunting for most is a story hard work and breaf moments of excitement, and not being sure! If you want to make hunters miserable you will succeed with this outlook.

I am glad that you and many others on this site are so interested in managing the sustained killing of lions. That is a great start.

Sir,
Why don't you e-mail and become a member of the LCTF and advise us???

But the reality is we have to have PH's and managers in Africa that behave as scientists that collect population specific data to make specific management decisions for their populations only.

This a good thing!

Yes. Make note of the word "only". Its important.

The fact that lion management is dictated by national governments, treaties, and even worse the foriegn governments, are almost insuring that lion managemnt will fail.

Agreed!!!

I can gaurantee if management was was left up only to each operator and they decided the number, sex and age structure of what cats get shot, you would see a very wide range of cats you would not think fall within your criteria for shooting, but are perfectly OK.

For some...that would be true...for others...they would fail miserably. BTW...nobody forces an operator to shoot a single cat out of their blocks.

First, let me first say there is NO fool-proof way...as you know. But, if the operators are out in there blocks alot, keeping notes of known prides and their males, if they are baiting and watching these males for a while before shooting, and if they are using game cameras to monitor baits and see what is happening while they are not there...they can minimize the taking of pride males.[QUOTE]

For most this is an impossible task. Lions roam they many of them will spend time in other concessions besides your own. Plus you have teritorial overlap, and a mountian of other curcumstances called life that will change the social dynamics of these cats in a matter of a few hours. But mean while the super PH who has to run a camp, keep dozens of other hunters happy who aren't even after a lion, all while remaining omniscient of what every single male lion is doing that roams through his concession.

Lane in Red above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this has turned into a terrific thread. popcorn

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mistakes on aging a lion happen most frequently when you are trying to decide whether or not to shoot a "marginal" (Age wise) lion. Any one trying to determine whether or not a lion at a bait is 5 or 6 whilst hunting has a 50:50 (or 60:40) chance of being wrong! You will only determine this, post mortem when you analyze the teeth, x-ray, etc.

Your margin of error reduces dramatically to almost nil if you practice restraint and only press the trigger when you are 100% sure a lion is over 6. That means you are looking for something like this:

If you spend time hunting lions such as this one below, you are going to be "wrong" 40 - 50% of the time.

Thereafter, you need to try and determine if it is holding a pride or not! If you can keep watching that lion over bait for a good 48 hrs and there are no sign of females, I think you have narrowed the error of margin to <15%. Any lion scientist will sign off on this error margin in a heartbeat!

What it ultimately means is that less lions WILL be shot due to the uncertainty in accurately estimating their age. The challenge is to ensure there are still enough clients willing to pay for an expensive safari to hunt lion knowing they have a 20% - 30% chance of finding one!

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy for anyone to re-size that 1st picture above......