New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Under Fire, finally
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove the trigger assembly and spray thoroughly with your favorite brake cleaner or GunScrubber. I have also successfully cleaned the assembly without removing from the firearm, it just takes more spraying.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Sorry this not formatted well but I had to covert from a pdf...

To Clean the Receiver and Trigger Assembly
1. Put the safety mechanism in the ‘S’ position.
2. Remove the bolt assembly. See instructions on page 9.
3. Turn the rifle upside down.
4. Remove the stock screws. See Picture 16.
5. Lift the stock away from the receiver and trigger assembly.
MODELS WITHOUT A FLOOR PLATE ONLY:
Remove the magazine spring and follower from the receiver.
NOTE: Clean and lubricate the receiver and trigger assembly as a unit.
Do not remove the trigger assembly from the receiver.
6. Thoroughly spray the receiver inside and out with Rem™ Action Cleaner and
allow to dry.
7. Thoroughly spray inside the trigger assembly at the four points
specified in Picture 17 with Rem Action Cleaner.
8. Place the safety in the fire “F” position. Pull the trigger rearward and release
multiple times.
9. Pull and hold the trigger rearward. Then using a small punch or screwdriver depress the sear
(Lubrication Point 1 in Picture 17 on page 13) and release multiple times.
10. Release the trigger and operate the safety from the fire “F” to the safe “S” position multiple times.
PICTURE 16
SCREWS
MODEL 700™
MODEL SEVEN™
SCREWS
SCREWS

11. Again thoroughly spray inside the trigger assembly at the four points
specified in Picture 17 with Rem™ Action Cleaner. Air dry or use compressed
air to thoroughly dry the trigger assembly.
12. Place a drop of Rem™ Oil in each of the four points in the trigger
assembly specified in Picture 17.
13. Place the safety in the fire “F” position. Pull the trigger rearward and release
multiple times. Ensure the trigger returns completely to the forward position
each time. If the trigger does not completely return, reassemble the
rifle and return it to a Remington® Authorized Service Center.
WARNING! If the trigger does not fully return to the forward position each time it is released, then your rifle is NOT in a
safe operating condition and it must NOT be used until you have had it inspected by a Remington Authorized Service Center.
14. If the trigger completely returns as specified in operation 13, pull and hold the trigger rearward and using
a small punch or screwdriver depress the sear and release multiple times. The sear must return to the full
upward position without hesitation. If the sear does not freely return, reassemble the rifle and
return it to a Remington Authorized Service Center.
WARNING! If the sear does not return to the full upward position without hesitation, then your rifle is NOT in a safe
operating condition and it must NOT be used until you have had it inspected by a Remington Authorized Service Center.
15. If the sear freely returns to the full upward position as specified in operation 14, release the trigger and
operate the safety from the fire “F” to the safe “S” position multiple times. The safety must operate freely.
The safety detent spring must position the safety in the full safe “S” or fire “F” position. The safety should
not remain in a position anywhere between the full safe “S” or fire “F” position. If the safety does not freely
return to the full safe “S” or fire “F” position, repeat operations 7 thru 15. If the safety does not freely
return to the safe “S” or fire “F” position after repeating operations 7 thru 15, return the firearm
to a Remington Authorized Service Center for an inspection of the safety and trigger assembly.
16. Place the safety in the safe “S” position and lightly spray Rem™ Oil on all the external surfaces of the
trigger assembly and receiver. Wipe off excess oil.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you don't expect these droolers to read the directions or take care of their equipment do you? Not when they have tort lawyers and professional witnesses to help them get some "free money".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

6. Thoroughly spray the receiver inside and out with Rem™ Action Cleaner and
allow to dry.
7. Thoroughly spray inside the trigger assembly at the four points
specified in Picture 17 with Rem Action Cleaner.
8. Place the safety in the fire “F” position. Pull the trigger rearward and release
multiple times .

11. Again thoroughly spray inside the trigger assembly at the four points
specified in Picture 17 with Rem™ Action Cleaner. Air dry or use compressed
air to thoroughly dry the trigger assembly.

Wow talk about spray and pray. LOL

Forget all about the supposed issues with the trigger. You gotta admit that is frigging retarded. You have just as good a chance of forcing debris further inside then you do of blowing them out. And no way of knowing if you were successful.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haha 30 years and counting, I feel faily confident. But hey, any mechanical thing can malfunction I guess

quote:
Originally posted by Wismon:
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Mine only go off when I pull the trigger, that's strange..................

Thus far..................

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
haha 30 years and counting, I feel faily confident. But hey, any mechanical thing can malfunction I guess

quote:
Originally posted by Wismon:
quote:
Mine only go off when I pull the trigger, that's strange..................

Thus far..................

Haha, good for you. Nothing fails until it does.

I know a guy who's made over a thousand parachute jumps. That doesn't -- in and of itself -- mean that jumping out of planes soley for an adrenelin rush is a particularly wise thing to do.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington paranoia is pretty interesting. Now you are comparing shooting a M700 with parachute jumping? Yeah there is a real corrolation there.................

Cheers!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
...You have just as good a chance of forcing debris further inside then you do of blowing them out. And no way of knowing if you were successful.
I can see where howard and belk have the exact same knowledge level concerning the Walker Trigger - not a clue!

On the other hand, I can also see where howard and belk could "blow" debris and trash into the excellent Trigger Design. For the rest of you who have not been PT Barnumed, it is not difficult to clean the Walker Trigger, and it should be done ever so often. And that depends on how much you use it. If you think it might need cleaning, then it probably does - just like any other Trigger Design. tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Remington paranoia is pretty interesting.

I've been present at two AD's. There's no paranoia on my part, only a rational reaction to being present at events that could have killed me.

quote:
Now you are comparing shooting a M700 with parachute jumping?

No I didn't; you did. I simply pointed out that nothing fails until it does and that past success does not grant immunity against future failure.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow talk about spray and pray. LOL...You have just as good a chance of forcing debris further inside then you do of blowing them out. And no way of knowing if you were successful.

You misunderstand the problem, such as it is. The floating trigger "connector" can fail to reset due to gummy, sticky, dried oil (WD-40 is a prime example), after the trigger is pulled with the safety on, not because of "debris."

A healthy flushing with a good spray solvent WILL remove any such gunk so the connector can reset even after a foolish owner does try the trigger with the safety engaged.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
Wow talk about spray and pray. LOL...You have just as good a chance of forcing debris further inside then you do of blowing them out. And no way of knowing if you were successful.

You misunderstand the problem, such as it is. The floating trigger "connector" can fail to reset due to gummy, sticky, dried oil (WD-40 is a prime example), after the trigger is pulled with the safety on, not because of "debris."

A healthy flushing with a good spray solvent WILL remove any such gunk so the connector can reset even after a foolish owner does try the trigger with the safety engaged.

I think you misunderstand. It has nothing to do with a "connector" or any specific part. Spray, repeat, and hope for the best is what Remington is saying. The entire mechanism is concealed and you can't inspect to ensure it's clean and gunk free.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . even after a foolish owner does try the trigger with the safety engaged.

Oh, so now the owner is foolish because he touched the trigger with the safety engaged? Just what do YOU think the safety is for?

Sorry, your name-calling doesn't cut it, and neither does Remington's. Their safeties suck, like many rifle safeties. The only foolishness is in engaging the thing at all. It shouldn't even be on the rifle.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has nothing to do with a "connector" or any specific part.

It has everything to do with the connector. That's the specfic part that gets out of place and is held out of place by the goo so the striker is only held by the safety, dropping it when released.

I think of a gun safety as the final defence against foolish or neglient gun handling, NOT the first. I have't trusted a "safety" since I was a kid and that was a LOONG time ago.

Loaded or unloaded, all of my guns have an open action anytime I'm handling one around other people, that way not only do I KNOW it's safe but the others do too. I've never had any reason to think the 700 trigger/safety is a problem but then I do keep my guns clean and properly oiled.

Short English lesson: Names are nouns. Foolish is not a noun. (Perhaps a verbal distortion of a comment won't "cut it"? Wink )

Smart people sometimes do foolish things, especially with firearms. No properly adjusted 700 trigger will be pulled when a smart user simply "touches" it. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Remington 700's since they came out. I have had one go off when I started to take it off safe. All I did was touch the safety and it fired. I had forgotten about it until all this stink was raised. I was always taught to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, so an accidental discharge really did not create a problem.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would a fellow have his finger on the trigger if the gun's on safety?? Only a dumbphuck wanders around with his finger on the trigger. Oh, that's right, if something goes wrong, get a lawyer and blame someone else for your stupidity. Perferably someone with deep pockets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you misunderstand. It has nothing to do with a "connector" or any specific part. Spray, repeat, and hope for the best is what Remington is saying. The entire mechanism is concealed and you can't inspect to ensure it's clean and gunk free.

So are Browning, Weatherby, Howa, Dayton, Bold, Jewell, Timney, Sako, the new MOA Winchester, and probably a host of other triggers. Any of these triggers can also fail when dried oil gums up the works. I havn't seen all of these triggers fail under such circumstances, but i have seen triggers besides Remington fail after being oiled and stored for long periods of time then not being cleaned.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
quote:

So are Browning, Weatherby, Howa, Dayton, Bold, Jewell, Timney, Sako, the new MOA Winchester, and probably a host of other triggers. Any of these triggers can also fail when dried oil gums up the works. I havn't seen all of these triggers fail under such circumstances, but i have seen triggers besides Remington fail after being oiled and stored for long periods of time then not being cleaned.

How exactly did you witness all these failures from different manufacturers? I'm assuming your a gunsmith?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott, yes i do work full time as a gunsmith since about 2003. As i said above, i have not seen all of those triggers listed fail, but i have seen trigger and many other parts fail for various reasons. Setting asside improper adjustments and tinkering, dried oil or grease is a cause for many guns to malfuntion in one way or another. People always think oil is for lubrication, but on guns it often causes problems. Triggers should never be oiled for the simple reason that it will attract debris. A little gun grease on a sear engagement is fine. Jewell recomends that thier system be flushed with lighter fluid after cleaning the gun and specifically says no oil. I'm not a remington apologist, I have had my disapoinments in working with them, but they are not the only ones with "defects" etc.

I've seen Winchesters that through normal use wear to the point that the safety is hard to engage or can't be engaged at all, Ruger has had problems on the old 77 trg, and so on. Fortunately for me, I haven't had to repair a gun that negligently killed someone, but i have repaired multiple guns that slam fired unexpectedly and scared a lot of folks. Sometimes it's broken parts, other times its grandpa's gun the first time out of the closet in 20 yrs and it is gunked up, other times it's bubba.

My issue from the beginning is not what Remington should or should not do, but what responsipble shooters should do: acknowledge that a safety or a trigger can fail even when "its always worked before," so take every measure to be safe. That way when an accident occurs, hopefully noone is hurt.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:

Can you tell me one documented case of a fatality caused by a bullet falling from the sky?

Not a fatality but a purple heart injury in Viet Nam in 1967. One of my men was hit in the inside of the upper thigh by a 230 gr .45 bullet that came through the roof of our movie theater while he was watching a movie. The bullet was from an AD that occured a quarter mile away at a POW compound while a M1911 was being cleared at the changing of the guard. The bullet that hit my guy traveled over two inches just a quarter inch below the skin. Missed his dick by less than an inch.

So yes, bullets that go up must come down.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guncurtis2:
...Triggers should never be oiled for the simple reason that it will attract debris. A little gun grease on a sear engagement is fine. ...
This was another indication that belk knew nothing at all about Triggers a few years ago. For a long time he advocated "Oiling" the Trigger Mechanism, because it said to do it in the Military Armory Manuals. Of course, the Cleaning Regime of the Military Firearms is typically 300x more often that Civilian Firaarms.

I agree that "Civilian" Triggers should not be Oiled and I do not even advocate Greasing the Sear. The reason is because it will allow the Sear Surface to "s-l-i-d-e"(aka Creep) instead of going from No Movement(as the Trigger finger increases the pressure) to a complete Release. This can be adjusted when using Grease on the Sear, but then the amount of Sear Engagement is so small that some folks have Accidental Discharges and then blame the Firearm "if" they can find a so-called "Expert Witness" with the Lawsuit. Pitiful and Pathetic!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my copy of American Rifleman today and it seems that the NRA (the magazine) is sticking up for Remington (a big advertiser) and poo-pooing the television special.

I talked to a friend of mine who missed three shots last week in Kansas at a great buck because of AD's when he released the safety on his Rem 700. He was pissed and knew nothing of the recent/current controversy.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RonE:
I just got my copy of American Rifleman today and it seems that the NRA (the magazine) is sticking up for Remington (a big advertiser) and poo-pooing the television special.

I talked to a friend of mine who missed three shots last week in Kansas at a great buck because of AD's when he released the safety on his Rem 700. He was pissed and knew nothing of the recent/current controversy.

Three ADs in a week? Were they all in a row? Had this ever happened before? Sounds way too coincidental.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...missed three shots last week in Kansas at a great buck because of AD's when he released the safety on his Rem 700. ...
Missed three shots at a(the same?) Great Buck - and the problem was all attributed to (string of) ADs as he Released the Safety(three separate times - between shots???). bewildered

Hey Ron, Would your friend's name happen to be howard or belk?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Cold Bore, considering that the 700 POS also fails in the FBC (fire bolt close) mode..........

But than again I understand how that's beyond your comprension level, seeing as how you claim to be an engineer.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he had 3 failures like you said,I would get the rifle to a gunsmith that knows what the hell he is doing and have him clean and adjust the trigger.Someone has monkeyed with it.
If he doesn't do this he is just flirting with a bad experience.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...missed three shots last week in Kansas at a great buck because of AD's when he released the safety on his Rem 700. ...
Missed three shots at a(the same?) Great Buck - and the problem was all attributed to (string of) ADs as he Released the Safety(three separate times - between shots???). bewildered

Hey Ron, Would your friend's name happen to be howard or belk?

One in the morning, one in the afternoon and one the next morning. I should have clarified that it was on three occasions over two days. These things are usually only possible when shooting deer while they are eating corn from a feeder. (is that really hunting?)

After the first one, I believe that I would have left the bolt open (in a tree stand) and not used the safety. I suspect that the rifle hasn't been cleaned in a long time. I cannot rationalize my friends lack of concern or neglecting to take some corrective action after an "issue" that repeted itself.

My friends name wasn't Howard or Belk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remington Under Fire, finally

Reminds me of the controversy over "Gus of Autum" several years ago and of the sports writer that Poo-Pooed the AR15 recently.

Almost seems that some groups have the herd mentality of a bunch of fourth grade girls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of these tales are getting pretty imaginative. Wink
FWIW, IF I were to have a SINGLE AD, the rifle wouldn't be shot again until it was taken apart and gone over with a fine toothed comb and the cause determined.
Your friend must be pretty stupid. What did his nurse, who I am sure had to be with him, have to say?

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainsman456:
If he had 3 failures like you said,I would get the rifle to a gunsmith that knows what the hell he is doing and have him clean and adjust the trigger.Someone has monkeyed with it.
If he doesn't do this he is just flirting with a bad experience.

Remington has admitted under oath that they have experienced this failure on brand new rifcles assembled and adjusted on the line. No one "monkeyed with it." No one failed to maintain anything on it.

Do the doubters not find it strange that the Remington employees doing random checks on firearms are only having these problems with Remington-Walker triggers?

As i have said before, to my knowledge (I have looked into scores of these suits but obviously not all) owner who has had an FBC, FBO, and FSR has ONLY had these issues with guns that had the Remington-Walker trigger? They are accused of being gun slobs, yet their firearms handling is exemplary when using Remington guns without the RWT, winchesters, Rugers, Savages, Steyers, mausers, etc.?

I would love to hear your reasoning that proves these people become poor gun handlers, slobs, incompetent, etc. when using a RWT equipped firearm, but they are totally safe when using the other guns. What are they doing differently when using the RWT guns as compared to how the act when they use every other gun they own-including Remingtons without the RWT?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I suspect that the rifle hasn't been cleaned in a long time. I cannot rationalize my friends lack of concern or neglecting to take some corrective action after an "issue" that repeted itself.
That could possibly be the cause of the problem. When they are repeatable, then it is easy to track down - just the same as anyother Trigger Design.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core-
Yes, when something is reproducible on demand it is easier to diagnose and fix. The fact that something is not reproducible on demand in no way means that there is not a problem. For a person to say such is showing their ignorance.
The Remington Walker Trigger is most definitely not “just the same as anyother design, as well as the design of other triggers.”

The rifle with 3 AD’s in 2 days could very well only be in dire need of a cleaning. It could be yet another case of the connector on the RWT causing unsafe firearm functioning in the field. The rub here is that there is absolutely no way to properly inspect, clean, and maintain the RWT without voiding the warranty. Anyone who thinks the cleaning method posted in this thread that were supposedly (I do not doubt the poster) lifted from the Remington M700 owner’s manual is a safe way to clean and maintain the trigger is also showing their ignorance.

For the past several months you have impugned the integrity of Mr. Belk and all others who have testified against Remington on the ground that they were simply whoring out their testimony for personal profit. Yet I have never seen a single instance where you attacked the integrity of Remington employees Remington, Remington's parent companies, and Remington's attornies, even though these people make their living working for Remington. Remington employees are the overwhelming majority of spokespeople show in the videos on Remington’s web site attacking the CNBC show on the RWT malfunctions. I have yet to see you tell us who you are, where you live, what association you have with Remington have you, do you, will you, do you hope to ever receive money from Remington. You attacked people’s integrity and knowledge, yet I have never once seen you show us a single credential, educational or professional.

Why do you feel the need to hide your name, place of domicile, connection with Remington, and professional and educational credentials?

Why do you make personal attacks against the detractors of the RWT, yet I have never seen you make an argument explaining how the RWT and its connector are functioning properly during the AD’s that experienced gun owners had while using the RWT equipped rifles?

Why do you personally attack RWT detractors, yet never provide mechanical explanations of how the RWT performs like conventional triggers, even though it is of a different design?

I have yet to see you explain my questions above- i.e why are the shooters in question only poor gun handlers when they are using a weapon with the RWT? Why are they good and safe gun handlers when they use their other guns that do not have the RWT. And many of these other guns they own are made by Remingtons.

Why is it that Remington has testified under oath that they have had FBC’s, FBO’s, and FSR’s with rifles equipped with the RWT and pulled off the line, yet they have never testified of similar problems with other trigger units? The rifles are brand new, just adjusted and sealed by Remington employees, and deemed ready to be shipped to consumers.Wile it is true that the M700 is Remington’s most manufactured firearm, the RWT is not Remington’s most manufactured trigger deign. The argument along the lines of “all things mechanical will break and there are more M700’s than anything else” actually has no bearing on this issue, as the other unit's number of failures would be higher if it was as simple as "all mechanical things break."

I am just curious. You seem to be the quickest and loudest mouthpiece regurgitating the Remington party line, yet you seem to be the slowest to answer the above questions.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, i have seen the tv story and remingtons reply. I believe there may have been discharges but i believe they were not the fault of remington. I believe in all areas it was the problem of improper operation and maintianing the weapon properly. The police officer that showed the rifle going off by closing the bolt i believe the trigger was tampered with by that officer. I have owened remingtons for 30+ years and have never had one go off by accident unless it was my fault. I will not fault a manufacturer for the bad operation of the owner. God help this republic.

Posts: 81 | Location: whidbey island | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It has nothing to do with a "connector" or any specific part.

It has everything to do with the connector. That's the specfic part that gets out of place and is held out of place by the goo so the striker is only held by the safety, dropping it when released.

I think of a gun safety as the final defence against foolish or neglient gun handling, NOT the first. I have't trusted a "safety" since I was a kid and that was a LOONG time ago.

Loaded or unloaded, all of my guns have an open action anytime I'm handling one around other people, that way not only do I KNOW it's safe but the others do too. I've never had any reason to think the 700 trigger/safety is a problem but then I do keep my guns clean and properly oiled.

Short English lesson: Names are nouns. Foolish is not a noun. (Perhaps a verbal distortion of a comment won't "cut it"? Wink )

Smart people sometimes do foolish things, especially with firearms. No properly adjusted 700 trigger will be pulled when a smart user simply "touches" it. ??

The IT, I refer to is my point; my point has nothing to do with the connector or any other part or the whole of the RWT. My comment only addressed the "maintenance" of the trigger as specified by Remington. The parts, the moving, parts of the RWT trigger are concealed by the side plates. There is no way to inspect those parts to ensure proper cleaning without disassembling the trigger. Remington says you must properly clean and maintain their product yet disassembly to ensure proper cleaning voids their warranty. bewildered

My contention regarding the foolishness of the "spray & pray" method of cleaning is no comment whatsoever on the trigger itself.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Oiling" the Trigger Mechanism, because it said to do it in the Military Armory Manuals.

I agree that "Civilian" Triggers should not be Oiled

I am confused. Happens when trying to make sense of pretty much anything you say.

Military triggers should be oiled? Civilian triggers should not be? Are they different triggers?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can see where howard and belk have the exact same knowledge level concerning the Walker Trigger - not a clue!

I have never claimed to have a "clue" as you say about the RWT. I have never taken a stand for or against the RWT either.

You however have taken a stand against anyone who doesn't toe the Remington party line and have accused anyone and everyone on the other side of being clueless. All without providing any knowledgeable or expert detail in support of your beliefs.

Talk about clueless, pitiful & pathetic.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember fella's, this is the same news network that blew up the Chevy pickups to get a splashy news story......... Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
We make our money the old fashioned way.....we sue companies for it.....and we're not adverse to using tons of 4th standard deviation data to make our point.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Winston Churchill

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
... yet you seem to be the slowest to answer the above questions.
I've no desire to argue with you. I know you are wrong, so that is all that matters to me.

Best of luck to you.
-----

My USMC just placed another HUGE order for Remington rifles and they specifically specified the Trigger "Requirement" is the Walker Trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You however have taken a stand against anyone who doesn't toe the Remington party line and have accused anyone and everyone on the other side of being clueless. All without providing any knowledgeable or expert detail in support of your beliefs.

Talk about clueless, pitiful & pathetic.

Name calling and provoking is last resort tactic for the communication challenged. The fact that CNBC motives are questionable and all gun owners could suffer from govt corrective action is all the more reason to direct our anger toward Remington.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
... all the more reason to direct our anger toward Remington.
Couldn't have been said any better by pelosi/boxer/schumer/brady or belk.