THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    338 Lapua, more style than substance...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua, more style than substance...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know there's a manufacturer says their 338 Normas outshoot the Lapuas at sight in but the Laps are less effected by wind at range. The differences are slight.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
If something is more affected by wind at range, that is a function of the bullet and BC, not the cartridge. If the Norma produced tighter groups that would mean that it 'went to sleep' properly and would sail down range better if the bullet were better. But these questions can be left to the benchrest folk.

A well-made rifle in any of the .338" calibers will make an awesome hunting rifle. And the 338 Lapua is a great cartridge if one wants a flatter trajectory for something over 400 yards. In Africa I'm happy with anything practical 0-400 yards.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my question, i intended to say 500 yds. Hit the wrong key, not that it matters. Have used a 338-378 starting with 1000yd benchrest back in the day when we thought we needed something that big to do the job and then hunting with it for a long time. Accuracy is an obsession and that obsession likely makes for a more confident long range hunter. The one shot kill is the thing.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.... about par for the course

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

somewhere here, the quality of the brass enters into the conversation.
My primary reason to do the 338 LM over the Edge, which I really liked, was due to the quality of the LAPUA brass versus Remington.

I would not take the extra couple of hours and the added cost of buying 500 RUM cases to get 100 match quality VS just buying 100 of the LM.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no dog in this fight but if I was pondering a build on a boomer like the 338LM It would be on a Stiller 338 action. It is designed for the round.

Joe

Posts: 1111 | Location: Blooming Grove, Tx. | Registered: 28 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Agreed! I am down to two choices, the Stiller P1000 dual-port, and the Surgeon single shot actions. My preference would be RB/LP, but neither of those comes that way. Surgeon is R/R, and the Stiller is RB/DP.

I have given some thought to just starting out with the new Savage single shot rifle; they can be had for about a thousand dollars, ready to shoot.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Rich, the Savage Single Shot is a smoking deal.

I would pick Bat or Barnard for single shot.

Lots of great repeater options; Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance and many more.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sage advice from someone who knows...

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My TRG 42 got here today, not quite as advertised but it is a nice clean rifle with all the Sako factory extras (scope mount, bipod), and a Leupold 4-14 tactical. Scope says Vari-X Tactical and looks like a Mark 4, but isn't marked that way. Must be an older model, not what I thought I was getting but I got the whole shebang dirt cheap.

10 days in California purgatory, and I'll have it.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
still nothing -- amazing ..
fishing

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the saga continues, next Wednesday...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 338LM was conceived as a repeater for military long range sniping. To that end, they designed the oal to fit a magazine.

At the CIP/SAAMI specs the oal is limited at 3.681" for that purpose. The Savage 112 BA variant, is a single shot, but throated for the spec length.

With my Forster seating die set to an oal of 3.94" the base of the bullet is even with the shoulder/body junction. That is .260" longer than factory.

That .260" equals: space for a lot more powder or vastly lower pressures.

Solution: rifle is off to the local gunsmith to get the throat extended to allow the 3.94" round to chamber.

ask me in two weeks.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got it back, and set the accu-trigger at 10 oz.

The starting load is from Berger 73gr of 4350 at the 3.94" oal. 2403fps.

The brake really cuts down on recoil, but damn it's loud...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hence fourth let it be known that their are "SNOWFLAKES" on AR that have never used a toothpick to tamp powder...

When I blow a primer or lose an extractor Jeffe AKA Snowflake, I'll promise you I will let you know.... moon

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well said.

I cheat, I turn my vibratory tumbler on and just hold the powder charged case against the side. Works every time!

At least I own one, and it did NOT take me four years either...

faint

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The throating works. I can get the 300gr Berger Hybrids to 3000fps without concern over pressures.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Over 3000fps not even improved? Nice

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
The throating works. I can get the 300gr Berger Hybrids to 3000fps without concern over pressures.

Rich bsflag

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bl,

read the entire thread about my 338 LM if you would.

Factory loads, due to the design for a magazine fed bolt rifle are 3.681" oal. My single shot does not suffer from those limitations. It is throated to seat the bullet at the case neck/shoulder junction. That is 3.94" oal. There's an extra .260" of case to stuff powder in.

I am curious what MV's you are getting with yours?

Rich moon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read all of your posts. Just when I think you come down to earth, you climb into your Gag a Were again.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take this to mean that you do not believe an increase in powder capacity can allow for an increase in velocity...?

I loaded my first round at the 3.94" oal with the maximum load listed by Berger for their 300gr Hybrid bullet. It "sooted" the case neck, and velocity was 100fps +/- lower than Berger listed with the same length barrel. I took that to mean that the pressure was pathetically low, and did not seal the chamber.

My next three rounds were five grains over the max, 2783fps. Next three were eight grains over, and velocity was 2966fps. One more grain, and 3031fps. Pinky finger bolt lift, no ejector mark on the case head, and case head .0005" expansion compared to out of the box new LAPUA brass after I FL sized it. dancing

And now, thanks to a horse trade with my good friend NPD345 I have a pound of Retumbo to work with. I am looking forward to chronographing it, since Berger says 89.5gr is 107% fill ratio, for 2680fps. I can fit 106gr in the case now, and it is barely to the juncture of the case body and shoulder. Barely...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, since you follow my posts, does this mean I can count you as a member of my posse?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Hence fourth let it be known that their are "SNOWFLAKES" on AR that have never used a toothpick to tamp powder...

When I blow a primer or lose an extractor Jeffe AKA Snowflake, I'll promise you I will let you know.... moon

so, you won't take my challenge, then? not surprised --

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I load 100gr in my 338 Lapua Improved for about 3070 fps with 300 grain Bergers. 104gr was just starting pressure at almost 3200 fps.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,

you have a magazine rifle, don't you? So, you are hamstrung by that factory OAL.

What is your case capacity on a once-fired and then FL-sized case?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
No, mine is a single shot. Seated quite long.

I believe capacity is just over 130gr. Like 132 or something.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about tis rifle if you want something else to boast about.
http://www.lethalprecisionarms.com/indefinita.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not boast. I simply do, and then I share the results.

I thought one of the main reasons to be on AR was about sharing experiences and knowledge here. Hunts, guns, etc. If you do something worth reporting on, please feel free to post the results here.

Optionally, if it keeps you up at night, you could place me on ignore. But you won't do that... moon

Rich
Rifle Crank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter does not boast. I'll sure vouch for that. There are probably 48,191 that don't agree. 48,193 registered members here so ISS and me subtracted from the 48,193 leaves 48,191. Now I will admit there may be a little hyperbole. Well ok a lot of hyperbole. Then again make that 48,192 that don't agree.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not boast. I simply do, and then I share the results.

I thought one of the main reasons to be on AR was about sharing experiences and knowledge here. Hunts, guns, etc. If you do something worth reporting on, please feel free to post the results here.

Optionally, if it keeps you up at night, you could place me on ignore. But you won't do that... moon

Rich
Rifle Crank

No I wouldn't put you on ignore. Somebody needs to be around to chuckle at some of your posts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should start charging you...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why Rich can't do that..sometimes it takes a longer barrel, longer magazine, and the long throat, but it works. just another way to improve a caliber..

Jeffe,
What challenge, I don't read your stuff anymore, You suffer from delusions of adequacy and have all the virtures I dislike and the vices I admire. Why do you insist on using AR fro support as opposed to illumination to help those who are interested in conversation and opinion..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

it's the difference between people who talk about doing things, people who just do them and then talk about their results, and a (thankfully) a few like the carpet lizard who merely criticize the efforts of those who do.

It's easy to determine which category people here fit into. Just see if they have ever posted anything of value...

Rich

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Jeffe and Ray,

I enjoy reading both of you.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Idaho Sharpshooter does not boast. I'll sure vouch for that. There are probably 48,191 that don't agree. 48,193 registered members here so ISS and me subtracted from the 48,193 leaves 48,191. Now I will admit there may be a little hyperbole. Well ok a lot of hyperbole. Then again make that 48,192 that don't agree.

A number......

Greater than 30 but less than 40 B&C Elk might be considered boasting or even something else....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
moon

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
moon

That's not a moon

That's a nice set of Knockers!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah don't think so...