THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    338 Lapua, more style than substance...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua, more style than substance...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
Both a solution to a non existent problem. 340 Weatherby factory ammo does 2960 to2980 fps in 250gr from my 26" MkV. Recoil like a briskly loaded 375 H&H. I think the others serve a purpose and some hate the belt but for performance in a regular sized action (large like for 375 H&H) it's tough to better the 340 Wby.

From the Nosler manual with 300 grain bullets. Velocities for their optimal accuracy loads; in parenthesies the maximum velocities obtained with any load:

340 Weatherby Magnum - 2,570 (2,726)
338 RUM - 2,540 (2,643)
338 Lapua Magnum - 2,581 (2,732)
338-378 Weatherby Magnum - 2,595 (2,713)

It looks to me like the cartridges with more case capacity than the 340 Weatherby Magnum serve mainly to waste powder.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
Both a solution to a non existent problem. 340 Weatherby factory ammo does 2960 to2980 fps in 250gr from my 26" MkV. Recoil like a briskly loaded 375 H&H. I think the others serve a purpose and some hate the belt but for performance in a regular sized action (large like for 375 H&H) it's tough to better the 340 Wby.

YUP!

From the Nosler manual with 300 grain bullets. Velocities for their optimal accuracy loads; in parenthesies the maximum velocities obtained with any load:

340 Weatherby Magnum - 2,570 (2,726)
338 RUM - 2,540 (2,643)
338 Lapua Magnum - 2,581 (2,732)
338-378 Weatherby Magnum - 2,595 (2,713)

It looks to me like the cartridges with more case capacity than the 340 Weatherby Magnum serve mainly to waste powder.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nobody ever said you had to have, as my wise old Grandfather said to me on a number of occasions when I violated his code of conduct "A lick of sense...".

I have reloading manuals dating back before WWII. It amazes me, how many of those manuals dropped their max loads every issue. Good old Lawyerese...

As an aside, 90% of the time my manuals just serve as a guideline for powder selection.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
well I guess another reason to not buy a crappy Remington rifle.
^^^^^^^^
Exactly!

like I was gonna in the first place.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock and Roll....

the 338 Lapua mag brass design is way better than any other "big" 338...

When you decide to shoot big stuff for long range shooting ... I would say or you have the money to afford it or you stay away from... try to decrease the cost by giving a try to some low cost option like the 338 ultra is just stupid.

Last with all the respect J.Borden deserve for once he is wrong. If you decide to shoot a "big boy" like a 338 Lapua you need a specific action... designed for the purpose ! like the Sako TRG 42.

Try to adapt a remington 700 design is just fuck junk of time, reliability and greedy shit...

you want a top performer at long range but you don't have the money for a Lapua... go with a 7mm RMG or a 260 Remington... you get the same ballistic (less energy at long distance of course but to hit steel plate or a deer who matters ?) but without the cost and the need of a specific action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son just shot our .338 Lapua for the Deer season coming up. First shot on clean barrel an inch to the right of the normal group then three shots touching each other. 225 grain Northfork at 3000 fps. It is ready if the shooter does his or hers part. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho sharpshooter seems to be a good guy and what he says makes since..

Its Jeffe who comes across as all that's holy and without an open mind, and uses the internet to search for support as opposed to Illumination, and he needs to know that factory ammo specs suck! The rest of us develop loads that work in our specific rifles and we have "reloading books", he apparently does not as he uses factory ammo specs to correct, and to trounce upon us deplorables .. He simply suffers from a delusion of adequacy and I still don't know or care what his challenge to me was! moon

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking Nosler just might be full of shit on their 338 guess-timations.

Because Nosler has all of these new wunderbar cartridges that are shorter, feature a smaller case capacity, use less powder, and generate hundreds of feet more velocity.

I'll just stick to my old 338 LM until somebody besides Nosler loads their cartridges and matches the claimed velocity.

BTW: once I had my Savage single shot rethroated to let me seat the 300gr Berger Hybrid to an oal of 3.97" oal, it launches them just a hair over 3,000fps. All I really need at this point in time.

Ray: a British House of Lords member named Lord Acton (iirc) is often quoted as having said "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts, absolutely...".

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote