Find
Notify
Tools

LR elk rifle dilemma......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of my 300 win mag and I'm shooting about the same loads that "Woods" shoots out his 300.

I feel confident that my gun will do the job but I do love my buddies 338 RUM with the 210 XLC'x and TSX, amazing gun. The recoil is a lot less sharp than my 300 win mag, suprisingly, and it's a big push, nothing really violent.

I don't want to Hi-Jack the thread on this one but what I want to know is if there is anyone that has thought of using the .378 Wby for a long range Elk gun or a modified, beer keg of powder, version that would kick a 300+gr. bullet, if they made them for that type of shooting, around 3,000fps+ or so.

I think that would be the first of that category. Some say they have a "deer-Elk" gun, you couild call that your "Elk-Buffalo gun".

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it? thumb

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 Rem mag with 2780 muzzle velocity:

rotflmo rotflmo

Oh Man, it's really getting deep now.

Thats well over 300 fps slower than a 7RM can safely be loaded w/ 160s.

It's funny how when you state that one cartridge is well suitable at a certain range then, folks just swear up and down it can't be done. Well I guess all the 7RM bullets were just bouncing off of game at 500 yards for the last 50 years rotflmo rotflmo

Sierrabravo and Never Flinch, Look at the following. It is a Ballistic Calculator's version of the story:

7mm Rem Mag w/ 160 AB at 3100 fps:

Range Velocity Drop Windage
(yards) (ft/sec) (inches)
0 3100.0 -1.5 -0.0
50 3006.0 0.4 0.1
100 2914.0 1.3 0.5
150 2823.8 1.2 1.2
200 2735.5 -0.0 2.2
250 2649.0 -2.4 3.5
300 2564.3 -6.0 5.1
350 2481.2 -10.9 7.1
400 2399.9 -17.2 9.4
450 2320.3 -25.0 12.1
500 2242.3 -34.5 15.1

And the 300RUM w/ 180 AB @ 3200 fps:

Range Velocity Drop Windage
(yards) (ft/sec) (inches)
0 3200.0 -1.5 -0.0
50 3099.4 0.3 0.1
100 3001.0 1.2 0.5
150 2904.8 1.1 1.2
200 2810.6 -0.0 2.2
250 2718.4 -2.2 3.5
300 2628.2 -5.6 5.2
350 2540.0 -10.2 7.1
400 2453.6 -16.2 9.5
450 2369.1 -23.7 12.2
500 2286.4 -32.6 15.3

You mention Windage Big Grin, Oh yeah, that .2" difference is going to put it right into the guts Big Grin Along w/ that 1.9" of drop rotflmo

Now you can see why I say that there's just not a hill of beans of difference at 500 yards (Yes 500, I never said 350 Roll Eyes).

They both will work equally as well at that range and that's a fact.

I've never said that the 300RUM is a bad cart, just said it's simply not needed for the task at hand.

If you like to say I shoot a Super Duper Ultra Mag, like to burn lots of powder, and get the snot knocked out of you while at the range, go ahead BUT, don't tell the next fella he can't accomplish the same task w/ his little ole' 7RM.

I've owned 4 300s and still own 3 of them and I'll flat out tell you the only advantage they hold over the one 7RM I own is when shooting the heavy pills like the 200+ grainers and then we have to quit talking about trajectory but focus on energy and windage abilities.

Yall have a good one

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
Chalk me up to the 300WM or 338wm club!

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is all based on what I've read, not experience.

300 or 340 Weatherby would be perfect. Unfortunately they're not available in the Sendero. If the 338 WM is available, that's a very good option. How about the 7mm STW? That's a great long range cartridge.

Otherwise 300 WM is a good choice. Not as good as the others I mentioned above, but it will dot the job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

Thanks for the numbers, and especially thanks for the statement of.

quote:
I've owned 4 300s and still own 3 of them and I'll flat out tell you the only advantage they hold over the one 7RM I own is when shooting the heavy pills like the 200+ grainers and then we have to quit talking about trajectory but focus on energy and windage abilities.

I thought that is what we were talking about.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now you can see why I say that there's just not a hill of beans of difference at 500 yards (Yes 500, I never said 350 Roll Eyes).

quote:
I've never said that the 300RUM is a bad cart, just said it's simply not needed for the task at hand.

First you say there is no difference, then you say the .300 isn't needed. Which is it?

quote:

Is that so? Well ask how many people on the board get OVER 3100 with 200 grain AB's. Pretty much all of them. So actually we can still talk trajectory even with a 40 grain heavier bullet.

Reloader, if you can load a 7 REM mag to 3100 with 160's good for you. Don't know many people who can. Flatten any primers??? I see people all the time who load .300 ultra to 3400 WITH 180 GRAIN BULLETS, and over 3500 with 165's. So quit trying to compare two cartridges that aren't comparable. I can load a 30-06 to 2900, so I guess it's the same as my .300 win mag right? And since I can load my win mag to 3100, it's the same as my 30-378. So I guess that makes my .30-06 the same as my .30-378. Thanks for making everything so clear. thumb

Edited: By the way check out the reloading data on this site for .300 ultra mag.
165 gr. sierra, 3747fps.
180gr. Barnes XLC, 3466fps.
200 gr.Sierra MK, 3306fps.
Run that on your table.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:
Man but You guys really like to read things into a question.

I know LR shooting is a hotbutton issue but there are people who are capable to pull it off. We are looking for the ability IF NEEDED to kill an elk out to 500 yds. We will of course strive to shoot much closer to 200 yds if we can.

The future owner of the rifle is a very accomplished shooter. Recoil and skill is not going to be a concern.

I am leaning towards a .300 Win mag in a Sendero. Sorry I started such a pissin match.

FN in MT

It's not a pissing match, its our own opinions and experiences Wink . The sendero would be a great choice in .300 Win Mag. Post some picks with you your elk and your rifle this fall.

Good Luck.

I have 2 4.5x14's with B&C reticles and really like them. One is on a Custom Model 70 in .300 Win Mag and one is on a .340 Weatherby (Mark V)

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmaggi:
This is all based on what I've read, not experience.

300 or 340 Weatherby would be perfect. Unfortunately they're not available in the Sendero. If the 338 WM is available, that's a very good option. How about the 7mm STW? That's a great long range cartridge.

Otherwise 300 WM is a good choice. Not as good as the others I mentioned above, but it will dot the job.

there are five factory chamberings for the New production Sendaro SF-2.

264 Win. Mag.
7mm Rem. Mag.
7mm Rem. Ultra Mag.
300 Win.
300 Rem. Ultra Mag

the original question was in a sendaro 300WinMag or 300Rem Ultra? I say 300WinMag.
I think a 7mmRem would be just as good, and not beat him up so much, but hey, it's his money...

With bullets invented in the later half of the 20th century the heavyweights (like 175's in a 7mmMag) just aren't necissary.

I'll admit that I don't like the 30cal mags.
I've never felt that shooting any of them was a pleasant experience. (And I own a straight grip Marlin in 45-70)
I have extensively shot a pushfeed M70 Winchester in 338Mag and oddly even hot handloads (225gr partitions @ 2900) just don't seem as abusive as any of three 300WinMag rifles I've fired with factory 180gr loads..., I still don't understand why, but I know that to be the case...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJPAINTLES........What a beautiful shot!! Doubt if you could get a prettier photo if You tried!

I have one with a cousin and a cow in it that is very similar. If I could figure out how to attach it I'd post it.

Anyway;
Yesterday afternoon went out and shot my neighbors .300 Rem Ultra mag with 180's at an average of 3260 fps . Then shot my old Sako in .300 H&H with 180's at 3010 fps . So lets say the Sako is basically a .300 Win Mag with 180's at 3000fps. And at close to 3300 fps the RUM is average.

Shot primarily at my 300 and 350 yd plates from prone with a Harris bipod. The Sako IS slightly more accurate; HART bbl, properly beeded Mc Millan,good trigger etc. The RUM is a box stock 700 so it's probably not quite as dialed in as the Sako.

Was hitting the 350 yd 10" plate with each one. Though the RUM was whacking them with a slightly noticeable amount more authority. And of course microscopically quicker too.

I KNOW that 350 is NOT 500 yds and the added energy the RUM brings with it will be useful. At least on paper. But I have to say the .300 Win Mag "equivalent" was so much EASIER to shoot. You got on target, lined things up and didn't have to THINK about the recoil as much as with the RUM.

Gonna run all this by my Cousin but I think we are headed for a Sendero in .300 Win.

Was HUGE fun to go out and shoot some rifles yesterday. Makes me appreciate how nice it is to have the ability to shoot in your own back yard. Even dusted off the .338-06 and the .375 and shot those. Really added some LEAD to the property yesterday.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana: Was HUGE fun to go out and shoot some rifles yesterday. Makes me appreciate how nice it is to have the ability to shoot in your own back yard. Even dusted off the .338-06 and the .375 and shot those. Really added some LEAD to the property yesterday.

FN in MT

HeHe,... I live on "Gun Club Road" and it's named that for damned good reasons...

And Now I'm wondering why I'm here typing and not up at the range shootingSmiler

AllanD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
264 Win. Mag.
7mm Rem. Mag.
7mm Rem. Ultra Mag.
300 Win.
300 Rem. Ultra Mag

Well, that's a nice selection but it's not enough, IMO. Of course it's Remington and I understand why they limited the chamberings to those calibers. But they should have offered the .338 WM as an option for elk hunting at distances over 300 yards.

That said, I would opt for either .300.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give them six months or a year.

I imagine that they reintroduced the best selling or most requested calibers first.

I've been wanting a 7mmRemSendero for a long time, but the prices dealers have been asking for the remaining stock of original sendero's have been "excessive"...
particularly for the stainless ones....

The newer Sendaro2's have the fluted barrels (I'm kinda lukewarm on fluted barrels but they are growing on me since I picked up my fluted 223 VSSF) and a second sfront swivel stud for a bipod.

The only thing the new sendaro lacks IMO are "optional"
choices in stock, I'd REALLY like a non-fluted barrel stainless version in a laminated stock (Laminated stocks are heavier, just as stable and non-fluted so I can full length bed)
And an option to have it done in a black teflon like the AWR.

That an an R3 recoil pad and it'd be perfect!
(All the remington haters can get stuffed)

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader, if you can load a 7 REM mag to 3100 with 160's good for you. Don't know many people who can. Flatten any primers???

Man it just burns you up when some one gets the same Ballistics as your Super Duper Ultra Magnum w/ their wee little ole' carts. Big Grin

On the 3100 w/ the 160s note, Have you loaded for many 7RMs? I can get 3100 in a 24" tube fairly easy w/ 160s and R22 w/ no pressure signs at all (Good Case Life, Good Looking primers, tight pockets) and outstanding accuracy. W/ a 26" tube it's even easier to achieve, w/ a 26" tube 3150 is not unheard of. I'm sure you already know but, the 7RM has historically been far underloaded in factory offerings. I have dealt w/ some slow tubes in 7RM as well (BBR comes to mind).

There's nothing wrong w/ a 300 but, it will not do anything more than the good ole' 7RM under most all circumstances when you compare two of the most popular bullet weights out of the two, the 160 and the 180.

Another good thing about the 7RM and the 300WM is you don't have to invest a pile of money in a ear drum shattering muzzle break.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
The newer Sendaro2's have the fluted barrels (I'm kinda lukewarm on fluted barrels but they are growing on me since I picked up my fluted 223 VSSF) and a second sfront swivel stud for a bipod.

They also have the black paint in the flutes which makes for an attractive look. I wonder what they'll go for when the dealers start to get them, 800, 850, 900+.......

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:

Man it just burns you up when some one gets the same Ballistics as your Super Duper Ultra Magnum w/ their wee little ole' carts. Big Grin

There you go again saying the same ballistics. Did you see the bottom of my post under the "edited" section? If not check it out. When you do run those numbers in your ballistic program, and then post those. thumb

quote:

There's nothing wrong w/ a 300 but, it will not do anything more than the good ole' 7RM under most all circumstances when you compare two of the most popular bullet weights out of the two, the 160 and the 180.

Except shoot flatter, with less wind drift, and more energy. Like I said run a 180 AB @ 3400 and see what you get. the 3200 you post is also a joke for handloaders for the .300 RUM. Ask anyone here. Wink

quote:
Another good thing about the 7RM and the 300WM is you don't have to invest a pile of money in a ear drum shattering muzzle break.

Why would you need a muzzle break?

I agree that in the real world a good marksman makes MUCH more difference than which one of these two loads are fired. But on paper, there really isn't a comparison. Like comparing a 30-30 to an 06'.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Get your friend a 338-378 Wby Mag. That way he can develope a nice flinch and when he misses that Majestic animal altogether at untrackable range he wont have to feel like a jerk for wounding and loosing it. Big Grin

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered a new Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Wholesale is $810 give or take a buck or so. NONE available though so have to hurry up and wait I guess.

Next will be a scope.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank-you made an awesome choice, a good bud of mine had one and it shot very well.

Optics twer it me I would be for a 3-10 or a 4-14 Leo. Build a load and then send it off to Premier to put dotz in it to 700 yds.

I did that with a 4-14 on my 700/7 Mashburn Super and it works very very well!

Good luck to ya, and travel those highways safely!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
They also have the black paint in the flutes which makes for an attractive look. I wonder what they'll go for when the dealers start to get them, 800, 850, 900+.......

Have a Good One

Reloader

The black in the flutes does make them stand out...

I've already seen a Sendero2SF on GunBroker
for an $850-ish Buy-it-Now, so retail in some places should be similar.

I got my VSSF (a 2004 without the black flutes, the palmswell and the grey spiderweb on black stock) for $629 (it still feels like I was stealing it...)

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 3200 you post is also a joke for handloaders for the .300 RUM. Ask anyone here.

Maybe a joke to you but it was the average max of about 4-6 powders in the data I have so, You can see why I listed it and w/ that velocity it follows the ballistic numbers I listed above. The two are very similar as you can see.

We can sit here and pissers all day, I'm just telling you the Good Ole' 7RM is here to stay whether it be 500 yards on an Elk or not. A cartridge that's been around for less than a decade is not going to make it become obsolete.

They'll both do the job but, some folks will have you believe if you don't have a super duper ultra mag that your measly little ole bullets will just bounce off. Every Magnum in existence .264 and above will kill any animal in NA out to 500 yards provided the right bullet and proper placement are used.

Allan,

Your right, I bought my Sendero for 650 new and it feels like I stole it compared to the prices on gunbroker now.

Yall have a good one

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Allan,

Your right, I bought my Sendero for 650 new and it feels like I stole it compared to the prices on gunbroker now.

Yall have a good one

Reloader
That's the beautiful thing about remington bring them back with improvements, the prices on the dusty box, old stock Sendero's have dropped dramatically.

I doubt the prices will fall on the sendaro I's fortunate enough to be chambered in either 338WinMag or 338UltraMag, but a sendaroI in 7mmRem or 300Win is now not as desirable as one of the newer ones.

The old ones WERE $900-1000 now? $650-700-ish

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same rifle, 3x12x56 Docter, same results as DJ
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Frank, were it me, I'd just get the new Leo VXII with LR reticle in either 3x9 or 4x12.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious how a .300 H&H would work for this type of hunting?

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a place to shoot over 200 yds, but at 200 yds my 300 RUM shot a 5/8" three shot group. Using Rem. 180 gr bullets.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's funny what you forget sometimes...

Last weekend I came across a Remington custom shop "C" prefix Rem700KS with a 24" tube that was originally chambered in 7mmRemMag, but that some power hungry individual had rechambered in 7mmSTW.

And I passed it up... but now thinking about it I want to go back for another look, because I just realized I have in my collection of stuff a shiny new, never fired, stainless steel
26" 7mmRem Mag barrel...

And that modified KS was a steal at the asking price of $400
and I can probably talk the dealer down $50... Hmmmm....

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe a joke to you but it was the average max of about 4-6 powders in the data I have so, You can see why I listed it and w/ that velocity it follows the ballistic numbers I listed above. The two are very similar as you can see.

Some people are just amazing. You said you used the average max for 4-6 powders which was 3200. (which is a joke). Are you going to tell me that the average max of 4-6 powders for your 7RM was 3100? Some people can only see things their way even if the opposite hits them in the head with a brick. Smiler But if it makes you feel better to think your 7RM is ballisticly the same as a .300 RUM you go ahead. Pretty funny. thumb

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, put em back in your pants.hammering

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the .338 RUM and a 225gr. bullet. I would build it in a Rem 700 action. and a 26" barrel.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, ID | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some people are just amazing. You said you used the average max for 4-6 powders which was 3200. (which is a joke). Are you going to tell me that the average max of 4-6 powders for your 7RM was 3100? Some people can only see things their way even if the opposite hits them in the head with a brick. But if it makes you feel better to think your 7RM is ballisticly the same as a .300 RUM you go ahead. Pretty funny.

I can see the Bricks are falling on your head quite often.

Oh Darn!! I can't use my 7RM on my next elk hunt I'm saving for CRYBABY My bullets are going to bounce off of them rotflmo I guess I'm going to have to get the all new Super Duper Ultra Magnum just so I can hit one at 500 yards and I just can't wait to go to the range and get the snot beat out of me from the bench rotflmo

First of all I never said they were the same. I said the were very close in trajectory and both still pack enough punch at 500 yards to put any Elk in existence in your freezer. If you don't believe that, you need to get a better hard hat cause the bricks are starting to do too much damage.

Let's put it into better perspective for you. Using a 7RM w/ 160ABs loaded at 3100fps in all circumstances at 500 yards is very much like shoving a 30-30 into the elks side at point blank and pulling the trigger. If you think that wont work, keep dreaming my friend.

Some folks just tend to never believe the facts

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having owned several 7mmrem mags and two 300 ultramags,I can assure you that they are not and never will be the same ballistically.My own 7mmremags would produce 3100 fps with 160gr bullets out of 26" barrels and up to 3050fps with 24" barrels.On the other hand my 300 ultramags produce 3380fps with the 180gr tsx and 26" barrels.Comparing the trajectories and wind drifts shows that they are not ballistically equal.On the other hand my 7mmstw's with 26" barrels will shoot just a tiny bit flatter than my 300ultramags.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nearly identical rifle to my Sako 75 300 RUM, in 7mm RUM. I chose the 300RUM over the 7 RUM because my 300 is so far much more accurate. I'd have used the 7mm RUM if it were the other way around..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned several 7mm RMs and .300 RUMs. Reloader, you are being on the optimistic side when say 3100 fps with a 7RM. I don't know of a manual in print today that has a load that even cracks 3000, let alone 3100 fps. It is a peice of cake to get 3300 fps with a 180 grain bullet in a RUM.

But I would admit the advantages in the field are not all that huge, at least in terms of wind drift and trajectory.

SB45 asked a good question that I see everyone is ignoring. I have a similar one. How many of you have access to a place to shoot 500 yards? And not just one place, but several, since wind is a little trickier once you leave the confines of the comfy range.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I have owned several 7mm RMs and .300 RUMs. Reloader, you are being on the optimistic side when say 3100 fps with a 7RM. I don't know of a manual in print today that has a load that even cracks 3000, let alone 3100 fps. It is a peice of cake to get 3300 fps with a 180 grain bullet in a RUM.

If you can type this with a straight face you are either a poor reader or a good liar.

Nosler #5 loading manual

7mm Rem Mag
160gr Nosler Partition
Crack 3000fps?
1)3058fps with 63.0gr RL22
2)3046fps with 61.5gr RL19
3)3015fps with 64.0gr IMR7828
4)3008fps with 63.0gr IMR4831

Close but no cigar
5)2998fps with 60.0grs IMR4350

Over 3100fps? 79.5gr H870 3112fps

But sadly that's if you have or can get H870....

Speer shows 2976fps with 65gr of RL22
but Speer has traditionally been THE most conservative of the loading manuals.

Barnes #3 shows JUST 3000fps even with the original XBT 160gr and 80.0gr of H870
With the XLC? Seven different loads that all break 3000fps the fastest is 3087fps with
70.5gr of RL25.
there is currently no published data for
the TSX

So can the 7mmRemMag drive 160grain bullets to 3100fps? Barely, if you are talking 24"
barrels which is what are used in all the
loading manuals.

26" barrels? Piece of cake.

It's perverse, it used to be that people would believe optomistic loading data for the 270win
and 30-06 because the usual shooter had a 22" barrel and the bullet manufacturers all used 24" barrels to shoot their data.
And what is perverse here is that all of the mfg's are still using 24" tubes for the 7mmRemMag and offhand I don't know anyone who owns a 7mmRemMAg with a 24" barrel, All my friend's 7mmRM's have 26" barrels... go figure!

FWIW I did not buy a 7mmRem mag to load 160gr bullets and make it into a noisy duplicate of my 30-06.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Some people are just amazing. You said you used the average max for 4-6 powders which was 3200. (which is a joke). Are you going to tell me that the average max of 4-6 powders for your 7RM was 3100? Some people can only see things their way even if the opposite hits them in the head with a brick. But if it makes you feel better to think your 7RM is ballisticly the same as a .300 RUM you go ahead. Pretty funny.

I can see the Bricks are falling on your head quite often.

Oh Darn!! I can't use my 7RM on my next elk hunt I'm saving for CRYBABY My bullets are going to bounce off of them rotflmo I guess I'm going to have to get the all new Super Duper Ultra Magnum just so I can hit one at 500 yards and I just can't wait to go to the range and get the snot beat out of me from the bench rotflmo

First of all I never said they were the same. I said the were very close in trajectory and both still pack enough punch at 500 yards to put any Elk in existence in your freezer. If you don't believe that, you need to get a better hard hat cause the bricks are starting to do too much damage.

Let's put it into better perspective for you. Using a 7RM w/ 160ABs loaded at 3100fps in all circumstances at 500 yards is very much like shoving a 30-30 into the elks side at point blank and pulling the trigger. If you think that wont work, keep dreaming my friend.

Some folks just tend to never believe the facts

Show me one place in any of my posts where I say that a 7mm mag will not work at 500 yards on elk. Just one place. When you realize that you can't, then try and focus so that you are able to answer the questions asked of you. Do you think it's fair that you use 3200 for your comparison with the .300 and 3100 for the 7? Did you take an average of 7mm data? Or is that one load that in one rifle you were able to achieve? Do you think that is a normal velocity for a 7mm? Let me be the one to tell you that 3100 is not an "aveage" velocity for a 7mm. My point was that they are not ballistically equal, which you can't seem to understand. If you think that shooting 160gr. bullets at 3100 and 180 gr. at 3350 is the "same" ballistics, than good for you. Evidently a 7mm is all the recoil you are able to handle, as your repeated comments on the RUM's recoil show. Therefore that must mean that it has the "same ballistic's" as any other round. And yes you did say they were the same ballisically

quote:
Man it just burns you up when some one gets the same Ballistics as your Super Duper Ultra Magnum w/ their wee little ole' carts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen:

You are right. My apologies. However, H870 is no longer available. I never did have much luck with it, so no love lost. But there is no load that cracks 3100.

I have shot more animals with a 7mm RM than anything, but there is no way it matches the .300 RUM. Just my opinion.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Allen:

You are right. My apologies. However, H870 is no longer available. I never did have much luck with it, so no love lost. But there is no load that cracks 3100.

I have shot more animals with a 7mm RM than anything, but there is no way it matches the .300 RUM. Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone was saying the 7mmRemMag was "better" than the 300RUM.We were saying that the 300RUM is more than is needed to do the job 98% of the time.

What everyone is saying, myself included
is that you don't need a 40mm cannon to
kill an elk either....

Most 300mag owners would have us believe that for Elk using a 7mmRemMag is like using a 243 on eastern whitetails, and that is not the case.
a 7mmMag is really more like a 270Win on Steriods, but what the 7mmMag most emphatically isn't is an efficient tosser of 160gr "Elk Sleeping pills".
And most people will comment that the 140grain dosage is more than sufficient and just as fast acting...

I find the whole issue of how ast a 7mmRemMag will launch 160gr bullets to be irrelevant
as 160's from my 7mmMag is something that's never going to happen... in my rifle anyway...

But I'm willing to play alongSmiler

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
For that kind of shooting, I suggest a .338/378 Weatherby.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I've got no dog in this fight, as I have not hunted elk, but FWIW...

The guys at The Best of the West (the long range hunging video that made the rounds here some time ago) are using what is basically a 7mmSTW for all their work, up to 1000 yds or so. Their full equipment setup is detailed here.

Personally, I'd go with a 300 or 338 for long range work of any kind. I was truly hoping to see a 338 RUM in the new Sendero. Maybe next year.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan:

Not sure how many elk you have shot...I have killed 5 bulls. I wouldn't dream of using a 140 grain bullet in a 7mm.

All of my elk have been taken with a .338 Win Mag. They are big, tough critters. Elk are tough like Cape buffalo - they just don't want to die. They are thick too, so why use something that forces you to take only a broadside shot?