Notify
Tools

Bison Kill At Owl Cave
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Smiler

quote:
It is interesting to note that, of the 6,083 bones and bone fragments recovered from the bed, only 60 were ribs. About 97% of the ribs had been taken elsewhere. This seems puzzling, because they contain little usable flesh as compared with other body parts. A possible explanation may be found among the Nunamiut, who keep caribou rib cages primarily because they are so easily dried and preserved.

Bison Kill At Owl Cave

archer

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
It's much easier to get the meat off ribs afer they are cooked--plus they have their own handles. Wink In Alaska, where one is required to get the rib-meat off caribou (unless you have a means of transporting the whole rib cages, ie--not in a small bushplane) the most aggravating part of field butchering, IMHO, is getting that particuliar meat.
Although the poor American Indians never got around to inventing beer, I would bet they still enjoyed their barbecued ribs.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:

Although the poor American Indians never got around to inventing beer, I would bet they still enjoyed their barbecued ribs.

Nice! They had peyote, though... Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote