One of Us
posted
persistance hunting

Take a look it's pretty cool

the chef

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Quite an undertaking to even film it. Thanks.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they chase for hours i wonder how far they go? I dont see how they can go that far and pack out the meat in that heat without the aid of a motorized vehicle. Otherwise it would ruin.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reyn:
If they chase for hours i wonder how far they go? I dont see how they can go that far and pack out the meat in that heat without the aid of a motorized vehicle. Otherwise it would ruin.

I believe in times past, the family group would just move camp to the downed animal if it could not be easily carried. Someone here with knowledge about San/bushman sociology can correct me if wrong. Also, 4 men could each carry a quarter of a kudu without much problem if they had a semi-permanent camp within 5-10 miles. The hunter can also start making strips of meat to sun-dry by hanging on a bush for biltong as soon as he gets his strength back.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He'd probably get some of that strength back by eating. I've read accounts that said north american Indians could eat huge quantities of meat at one sitting, that would be a good skill to have methinks. There's a saying here that it's easier to move camp to the moose than the moose to the camp.

I found it interesting that walking on two legs is more effecient than four. I'm not sure I have my head wrapped around that one yet.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Humans can and have walked down or run down every animal on earth that they've had an interest in persuing.... without exception.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Ghanzi and know the guy who runs down the kudu in this video. I commend Attenborough for accurately depicting the way today’s Bushmen really live.

While Karota probably has more knowledge of game and tracking then all of us on this forum combined, he could still learn a lot from his uncle, Xanate, a 70+ year old hunter who grew up living the “Gods must be crazy†live style which ended in the 60’s. If you check a recent posting I madeHunting with Bushmen I hunted with these two men and it was the hunting experience of my life. I’m trying to help these last of the hunters pass on their knowledge to the next generation in a project I’m working on with the D’kar Trust. I’m offering two opportunities to hunt with these guys over the summer. One trip is for June 16th through 27th which all hunting and a “Sportsman’s†safari from September 8th to 19th that combines 4 days of hunting, 3 day of fishing and 3 days in Moremi Game Reserve. African-excursions.com

Posts: 44 | Location: New York | Registered: 06 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
That was an amazing video!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
That oke must be 1 hell of a mrarthon runner. ya those guys most probably will dry the meat to make billtong

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, it was a rite of passage for an American-Indian boy to track, run down, and kill a deer. Deer are good sprinters, but endurance goes to the humans.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ScopeBite
posted Hide Post
Talk about "Man up"! That was great.

I found it to be very humbling.

Thanks for sharing.

I would rather Boar Hunt for my Bacon!

Posts: 136 | Location: Bakersfield California | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hard way, for sure!

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote