THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    your dream backpacking rifle and scope
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

your dream backpacking rifle and scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so let's say you got an extra $4k to spend on a custom build BP rifle and scope what would it look like? This would be for deer and elk hunting in the Western US

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Honestly?

I'd buy a Browning Titanium in 270/300 WSM or 308, top it with a VXIII 2.5-8 and spend the rest of the money on a the hunt itself.

Second choice, if I wanted to spend more money, would be a NULA in 7x57.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
blr takedown in 7-08 or custom bolt gun takedown by justin sip with 2 bbls and bolts 25-06 and 338wm

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking something in .264 or .284 cal with a top shelf custom 22" barrel, an ultralite stock, a remington action a high quality 4x16 scope. Can't decide on cartridge.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Blaser K95 257 wby mag.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't spend that kinda money for a backpacking deer/elk rifle. I'd spend a good chunk of change if I had it to spare towards good optics for glassing, but not for a rifle or a rifle scope.

For the cartridge, I'd probably opt for the most popular elk round of our lifetime, that being the 30-06. I'd propbably opt for a durable mauser style action such as the Winchester or the newer Sako. I'd like the rifle to be a tad on the light side and I'd probably stick with a normal scope along the lines of a 3-9X LEU.

I don't think it too difficult to cover those specs with an out of the box factory rifle. I see no issue in getting such a rifle to shoot plenty accurate without much fuss.

If the rules of this "dream" is that you must spend the $4,000 on the rifle, then I'd take the remaining money and spend it on ammo to get a whole bunch of trigger time.

BestSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true "backpacking" rifle is going to get beat-up and abused, without even thinking.
Myself, would go for a Tikka T-3. Mounted with Leupold mid-price range glass, and your set.
Myself, have a Tikka T-3 stainless composite.
It is .270 wsm. my glass choice is Leupold 2x7 VXII. I load a 150 gr. Woodleigh over a max load of Mag Pro. I get CONSISTANT groups of under 1 moa. Is a real "beater", in-expensive, and is my go-to for just about everything.
Don't spend a bunch of dough on a rifle that will get punished in backpack hunting. Save your money on a rifle and put it toward MORE hunting.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem Model 7 SS .308win
McMillan Edge Stock
Gre-Tan Pin & Shroud
Talley Low Rings
Leupold VX2 2-7x33

comes in just over 6lbs. killed a monster Billy with it last year. next to my 1895 marlin, my favorite rifle.

Posts: 59 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make mine an HS Precision lightweight. Fantastic accuracy, and a nice compact package for backpack hunting. Got to have a caliber big enough for the elk, so go with something like the 300 wsm. Must be short action to keep the weight down.
These aren't beautiful rifles, but highly functional, professional grade equipment. Use a set of Conetrol rings, mount a Leupy VX III 4.5 x14 or possible a swarovski, and you will have spent 3/4 of your budget at least.
This would be the perfect all around mountain rifle for everything from sheep and goats, to deer and elk.
Good Hunting!
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Kimber Montana with Leupold 2.5-8.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Make mine an HS Precision lightweight. Fantastic accuracy, and a nice compact package for backpack hunting. Got to have a caliber big enough for the elk, so go with something like the 300 wsm. Must be short action to keep the weight down.
These aren't beautiful rifles, but highly functional, professional grade equipment. Use a set of Conetrol rings, mount a Leupy VX III 4.5 x14
Bill

tu2

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of us_dragunov
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brown Precision - 300 WM
I've used one for 28 years. Fully loaded 6.5 pounds, has a real rifle feel to it (not too light), carryies like a dream, extremely tough, shoots MOA. The 300 WM, you never feel undergunned, you can us it for everything in N. America and beyond.
I like it so much I had Mark just build me another one in 375 H&H for big bears and Africa.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought about getting a synthetic stocked .284 Win. topped with a 2 x 7 or a 2.5 x 8 leupy. I am open to suggestions on the action and barrel.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine built about four years ago and didn't have to spend that much on it. It's a Mauser M-98 action with a Timney trigger and a Dakota M-70 safety; Shilen 22" #1 barrel in 270 Winchester; laminated classic style stock with a blind magazine, fore-end and buttstock hollowed out to reduce weight, ebony fore-end tip and pistol grip cap; Leupold Vari-X III 2 1/2-8 in S&K sculptured bases and rings. Weighs about 8 pounds loaded with a sling which I find just right for carrying and shooting. So far I've taken elk and antelope with it - hopefully there is a muley in the near future.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
since we are in th 4k range make my vote the 3rd for the K95 or k1 if you prefer a Merkel.

Since you can beak tem down and carry it in your pack no need for it to get beat up.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
WEAVER RIFLES
Got mine two years ago in 300 WSM, built on a Borden Alpine action, with a 24" Rock Creek #1, in a Hi-Tech Sheep Hunter Stock. With a Leupold VXIII 2.5X8 in Talley Lightweight Aluminum rings. It weighs in under 6# and will shoot under .5 MOA.

Kevin builds the finest light weight hunting rifles in America for much less than $4,000.

WEAVER RIFLES
16850 SAGECREEK ROAD
PEYTON, COLO. 80831
719-683-3024

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
wow, i could buy a couple for 4K

for centerfire .. 308 or 45/70 HR 16.5" LIGHT barrel, no glass.. peep sight probably, carbonfiber stock .. doubt that would b 4# and NOTHING to break

rimfire? either a 22LR barrel for the same, or a 10/20, light stock, factory barrel or carbon fiber barrel ...

i can hit a pig/deer/elk at more than 75 yards with my 45LC, so the rifle would have to be fairly serious

and, with all 3 guns, and nearly 3K left in my pocket, i'd get out of the house

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38503 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
NULA Model 24(30-06Spri) with #2 stainless barrel, & Zeiss 2.5-8x32 Conquest tu2

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it several years back, orginal ULA Model 20 257Rob with Leupold fixed 6x scope.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
BP

A stainless Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42 or 2.5-15x44.
If you already have a suitable scope, I would build the above rifle using a Stiller Predator action and a McMillan hunters edge stock - your choice of barrel and trigger.
Both options should come in under the $4k budget stated

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Use a .270 or .30/06 I already had, and spend the money for another hunt.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 Titanium in .270 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 in 3x9. Spend the other 2 grand on the hunt.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Winchester Extreme Weather in 325 WSM. Put a 4X Mini Leupold on it. If it shoots as well as it looks I'll be pretty happy. Not ultra-light but passible and in the caliber as light as I would want. It replaces a Rem 660 in 6.5 Rem mag that I love but is a bit light for Grizz.and not stainless.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you what my dream back packing rifle IS NOT!!! That rifle is/was the POS (aka Kimber Montana). NEVER, EVER again!!!!!
Like North61, I got a Win. Extreme Weather in .270 WSM and initial testing indicates it's a keeper. True, not a real light weight but light enough in my opinion for our 2 week sheep hunts. I too would get an Extreme Weather, get it shooting as I wanted (if necessary) and spend the rest of the money on a trip.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
My Remington Titanium .270 with Titanium Scope Mount and a Swarovski scope on top...

http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...um-scope-mounts.html

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
T/C Encore in .308, DuraCoated, with Talley QR rings and bases holding a Nikon Monarch 5-20. You could take the scope off and put it in your pack while hiking through the risky stuff, put it back on in a few seconds, and make your shot. Lightweight, but very manageable in this caliber, and plenty of gun for elk on down. Around $1500, so I'd have plenty left to work up a good handload with Barnes MRX bullets, and maybe even upgrade my old Nikon binocs!
Too bad I don't have an extra $4000 laying around!

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
The rifle I have is not the lightest but
Rem 700 LTR 308 with VX2 3x9x50
weighs 8.5 lbs and shoots 1/2 min with federal
165tsx. A little more weight than some but the
accuracy more than makes up for it.
Have thought about others for Dall Sheep in AK
but keep comin back to the LTR.
jm2cw

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Already have it. Rebarreled a LH Winchester M70 with a SS Shilen barrel, fluted, with a McMillan Sako Hunter stock and topped it off with a Kahles CB2.5-10x50 that had the illumination converted to the CBX illumination unit.

Out the door, under 2500$... Scope, stock and action were used or demos. Shoots awesome... 130s at 2950 with no pressure signs...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
308 Ruger Compact. Off the shelf scope and all < $1000. 1/2" groups short and light.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington KS in 300 Win Mag, I bought used. Repainted the stock, had the barrel and action moly-coated, and put a VX III 3.5 x 10. Its lightwieght, kicks like a mule but seems to be my go to rifle in the mountains. It is also accurate.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako 85 Finnlight in an appropriate cartridge topped with a Leupold 2.5-8x. They're light and they shoot.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine in 1991--Ultra Light Arms 284 Win w/ 24" bbl. Used to have a 1.5-5 Leupold, now it wears a Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS compact. Proved its worth--again--chasing red stag and fallow deer in NZ earlier this year.

Dave Manson

Posts: 687 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May sound a bit of a stretch, but at least different Smiler. Maybe find an older Sako Fiberclass in either the caliber you want already or make one up. The stock on these are McMillan made but a better set up. The old school McMillan like the HTG really work.

If you wanted a newer caliber, and maybe a lighter package as those old AV series aint light, maybe make one up in 7mm WSM. Should be good for any range with the appropriate scope. Plenty of ultra high BC bullets from Berger Sierra etc.

Depending on the range it would Swarovski for me or if it is used for a sheep hunt or something maybe look at choices like the Leupold 6 x 20 or even the Nikon 4 x 16. Maybe even put the Angle Cosine Indicator on it for mountain work.

As new examples of the Sako in factory chamberings are $1000 or under. Nothing really to do except set trigger and maybe bed it but not really needed. Scope in the $1000 range. If you have to buy a stock, rebarrel, etc then you looking at burning all your budget.

Hill Country Rifles builds a sheep hunter light rifle that runs maybe $3000. Not a dream but another nice option.

The Sako is not the lightest but a good solid shooting platform for when you get in position and in range for the one shot. Favorable cost too - always helps. Leaves more hunting time and taxidermy money Smiler!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
It difficult to convince somebody how good a k95 is until they have shot one extensively and owned one

I would not consider anything else

Interesting those titanium mounts

I wonder is there an elevator to get up there since there is such a gap to breech to get a good cheek contact at all ....

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by londonhunter

quote:
It difficult to convince somebody how good a k95 is until they have shot one extensively and owned one

+ 1 on that tu2

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already own it.

Winchester Mod. 70 "Stainless Classic" in 30-06 Spfd. Leupold VXIII 3 x 9 40mm.

Win. Mod. 70 is dubbed "The Rifleman's Rifle." Classic design, nothing fancy, just hard-core bread and butter bolt action.

For elk locally, "Roosevelt" in heavy woods, I'm liking the laminated stock Ruger No. 1 in stainless, 45/70 Govt. Leupold VX III 2.5 x 8 36mm. Short, light, and "one shot, one kill."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 for the K95. I like the ability to take it apart, put it in it's case, strap it to my pack and have hands free on the way out with a heavy load.

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote