THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Want to lift an Elk in the field?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to lift an Elk in the field?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A post on "Winches for Dummies" on another board reminded me about this little gadget I fixed up quite a few years ago. I think I posted about it on the old Shooter’s but not here. I made this up using 140 feet of 200 pound test parachute cord, two stainless 16mm Air-Blocks from Harken.com, and a couple stainless shackles. These shackles and 3-sheave Air-blocks with anchor points were meant for sailing boats and are as good as you can get. But very expensive. Everything shown in picture (140 ft of parachute cord, blocks and shackles) weigh in at only 12.9 ounces. With 6 parts of line the unit has a maximum capacity of 1,200 pounds.

Using a 50’ x 5/16” or 3/8” boat anchor road with an eye and thimble, throw it over a branch 20 feet up connect block and tackle and pull it up 20 feet and tie off. Connect block and tackle to duffle bag with all your gear probably limited to 300 pounds (figuring 50 pound pull on parachute cord with hands) and pull up your gear and tie off parachute cord.

Very easy!

For something lighter, such as your loaded pack just use an additional length of parachute cord, and 20 feet up your gear is going to be invisible. You better have GPS coordinates! Big Grin

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Neat.

But how close to a big tree must your elk fall to get him hoisted? Is it 1/3 of the total length of cord?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me a break! Just used an elk as an example, intended lift or drag could be anything! If a tree isn’t available you’d need to use your imagination as to an anchor. All this is, is a light weight packable block & tackle set-up. Maybe a couple gin-poles (as in a poppet head) or a couple saplings tied together, or a rope over a rock face. A 6:1 ratio isn’t anything to sneeze at. Reducing friction with ball bearing sheaves doesn’t hurt either.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote