Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic Target
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Thinking of setting a shooting bench out the window of a reloading room. 200yd range across ditch. Years ago I was ar John Wooters. He had a target he could read from the bench. I thought it masured bullet position kind of like radar or maybe accoustics. Anyone have one or even know what Im remembering?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several companies make electronic targets, but I don't know how affordable they are. Oehler Research, the makers of the Oehler chronograph used to make one, but I'm not sure if they still do. You can ask them at sales@oehlerresearch.com.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Several companies make electronic targets, but I don't know how affordable they are. Oehler Research, the makers of the Oehler chronograph used to make one, but I'm not sure if they still do. You can ask them at sales@oehlerresearch.com.

I am pretty sure I have one of these that I have never used. Came in a trade deal. And yes I think it is acoustics.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This one?

I have tried getting one of these, but so far they seem to have one delay after another.

I have also researched others, and the only ones I could find are not portable, but fixed in multi target ranges.

Targetvision

We have tried these wireless cameras, and they do work as advertised.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've often thought of buying a security camera, placing it downrange where it views the target. Some of these are available from Costco/Sams club etc.
Seems simple and cheap, you could even install a solar light that shines on your target for night shots, give the neighbors something to talk about!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
With a camera I would still need to change targets. While 200 yds it takes 1/2 mile to get too it. Unless I add a bridge.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
CO Rifle Club has one of these on the high power 1,000y range. I'm not sure of the model, but maybe you can find info on the website, or email the president and get some info.

http://crci.org/

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but i know you can use an ipad to see your impacts, some guys were using it at a 600y match last weekend.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Security cameras will not work, as they have an extreme wide angle.

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The one I'm pretty sure I have I think was called a Model 43 from Oehler.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I thought the 43 had been discontinued

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Had it quite a few years.

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy on our Friday morning 500 yard shoots has a target with four sensors on each corner of standard size target used in the pits. As he shoots, he can see on an iPad where his bullet struck (it is a calculation based on then acoustical differences between the sensors). He loves it; costs him about 3k (that could by almost 3 AMP machines!) if I recall. Want me to ask where he got it?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sure ask him.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will do.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We just got the usual answer from the Steinner I posted above.

It is not ready yet.

They have had it advertised for years, and no production.

I am not too impressed with companies like these.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about an acoustical system some years ago. It used 3-4 microphones mounted at the target. The bullets had to still be supersonic for it to work. Accuracy would be dependent on knowing the speed of sound at the target location.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Since Wooters had his in 1999 Im "guessing" maybe a 43??? He loved it said very accurate.With a keystroke the flier was gone.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
I remember reading about an acoustical system some years ago. It used 3-4 microphones mounted at the target. The bullets had to still be supersonic for it to work. Accuracy would be dependent on knowing the speed of sound at the target location.
C.G.B.

I don't see why you would need to know the speed of sound, although I agree it would have to be supersonic. It simply triangulates the locations based on when each receiver detects the crack of the bullet, much the same way a GPS works: they simply send perfectly synchronized times and satellite IDs; your receiver determines your location based on triangulating the differences in the times it receives.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The only requirements for these to work is that the rounds must be super sonic when they hit the target.

At least this is what an engineer told me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GPS depends on the precise times AND the propagation speed of the radio waves coming from the satellites. While the speed of light is fairly constant, the speed of sound isn't so much. To find the position of the bullet you have three intersecting circles whose radii are a function of time and the speed of sound. Maybe using the nominal value would get you close enough?
C.G.B.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Target sensors have no GPS!

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
When I shot running moose targets at Öster Malma in Sweden, they used an acoustic system manufactured by SIUS. It relied on a rubber membrane that had to be replaced occasionally and several microphones. There are a few photos here:
Running moose

The company's website is here:
SIUS

and the US distributor is here:
SIUS USA

I see they also have an optical sensor based system for small bore. But I guess the " Portable Bullet Sensor (PBS) System " would be along the lines of what you want. If you go so far as to get a price for this, I'd be interested to know what it costs.

Jeff

Posts: 717 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
GPS depends on the precise times AND the propagation speed of the radio waves coming from the satellites. While the speed of light is fairly constant, the speed of sound isn't so much. To find the position of the bullet you have three intersecting circles whose radii are a function of time and the speed of sound. Maybe using the nominal value would get you close enough?
C.G.B.

The speed of sound at the target location is constant, so it doesn't matter.

Think about it from the perspective of geometry. Draw a square, then put four circles on each corner. Put a dot on the square (representing a bullet strike), then expand each circle until they "hit" the dot. You will see all four circles have tangent points with respect to the dot even though each intersects with the two circles from the adjacent corners. Very precise, actually.

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
AZ,
Try Silver Mountian Targets. I shoot NRA Mid and Long range on these targets quite often and they work well. Not cheap but not overly expensive.

Posts: 794 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ronic_scoring_system
It pretty well describes the process.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
http://www.silvermountaintarge...om/for-shooters.html

Or

http://www.kongsberg-ts.no/en/

I believe the CMP is using Konsberg.

I shot on the electronic targets on Petrarca range at Perry and it worked very well.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I can figure out this darn phone Ill contact them. If not next week. Looks to be $2800-3300 for a single. There goes my toy fund

As usual just my $.02
Paul K