New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant tusk mounts?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would anyone care to share how they mounted or have seen tusks mounted? How are you capping the ends?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
My wife and I came up with this idea as a compromise. I thought pedestals would be nice and she wanted them on the wall. Instead I bought this table and cut holes in it for the tusks to go through.

I built the metal caps out of steel and textured and painted them (they’re actually burnished darker than in this photo now). The caps started as large exhaust tubing but tusks are nowhere near round so I had to reshape, texture and cap them. The inside of each cap is padded with hard foam and the caps fit well enough that the gaps aren’t too bad. This table design protects the tusks from being tipped over or stolen (the whole table is quite heavy and they are very difficult to remove).

Hope that helps,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's creative and something I've never seen done. Looks like it took a lot of work to get it right.

Where did you take the ele and what did they weigh?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I saw a picture of a hunter's trophy room where he brought the entire elephant skull home and mounted it on a ledge hanging off the wall, so I guess you could say he did a European mount on the elephant. It looked pretty cool, it will be how I do my elephant when the day comes around. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu,

If you look at my post on this forum you'll see my tusks. This was Sadie's idea and it worked out nicely. The end caps are pinned to the bases so all can be moved easily. Also the tusks can be leaned back 90 degrees for a different type of mounting. Simple and inexpensive. Hard to beat that.

Kyler

That is a heck of an idea for your tusks. A nice way to mount them and a nice furniture addition to your trophy room. Very cool!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12914 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
the european mount of the ele sounds nice I would like to see pictures if anyone has any

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yukon & Mark.

Yukon,
The bull was 57x60 and taken in Zim. in Broom's Binga area in '04.

I wrote an article about how the meat was recovered and used that was published in Sports Afield. My wife keeps copies in the drawer of the "Tusk Table" for when questions arise about elephant conservation, the meat being wasted, etc. It's near our entry way so we get some questions (our house is pretty modest so most people coming to the door just probably assume they're not real).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Plain wooden base.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the table, looks sharp. Mark, I had looked at yours a while back and like it to, I didn't know you could change them. I almost need mine to stand up or hang.

I was thinking of potting them so to speak, with a decrative pot with them standing out of the pot, flush at the top, but the stability worries me.

Steve, how stable is yours?

Thanks for the ideas.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
There's 50# bag of sand inside several garbage sacks inside that base. It won't tip easily.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Steve, and for the idea. I was contemplating a counter weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM to Kyler.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Yukon,
As requested I emailed the elephant article to the address on your profile. I hope you enjoy it.

I'll be glad to email the pdf to anyone else interested.

Take care,
Kyler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu, you don't have an elephant hunt booked to you??? shocker

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are from one I shot in 2002 in Zim, I still haven't done anything with them. bewildered