THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when tushes miss the grinders. Picts added.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Here's pictures of a hog skull--- killed many years ago in the Ozarks. It was a large hog in the upper 300#'s in weight. The tushes grew behind the grinders, and as a result never got sharp or got ground down. They curved back into the jaw. The tushes can't be removed from the jaw because they come back and hit the jaw. It was killed on a cold January day 15 years ago when a friend and I split up to hunt a hillside. I jumped this hog at about 65 yds, and he paused at about 75 to look back, which was his undoing. He was a mulefoot. Used a 375H&H, 285gr Grandslam, and the bullet did not exit the far shield.

This is a picture of a mulefoot taken from the internet

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve, Smiler

Thanks for sharing those pics....

It's an incredible looking skull....

BTW, what type of "FINISH" was put atop the skull...it looks really GREAT!!! thumb

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
The skull was boiled and bleached in the usual manner, then spray painted with several coats of cheap clear spray paint. The yellowing has occurred with age.

Also, some folks would have called this a "Choctaw Hog". Besides the mulefoot, he had "wattles" and his fore-quarters were larger than his hind.

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I hope to one day get one that size!

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Coool !! Cool

Thanks for sharing these pics thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive ivories, thanks for posting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
January
about 75 yeards
375H&H, 285gr Grandslam
the bullet did not exit the far shield.

WHAT!!!! Eeker thats a tough SOB! how heavy was the plate?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Those are some serious cutters!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Found the old photos.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Here's pictures of a hog skull--- killed many years ago in the Ozarks. It was a large hog in the upper 300#'s in weight. The tushes grew behind the grinders, and as a result never got sharp or got ground down. They curved back into the jaw. The tushes can't be removed from the jaw because they come back and hit the jaw. It was killed on a cold January day 15 years ago when a friend and I split up to hunt a hillside. I jumped this hog at about 65 yds, and he paused at about 75 to look back, which was his undoing. He was a mulefoot. Used a 375H&H, 285gr Grandslam, and the bullet did not exit the far shield.

This is a picture of a mulefoot taken from the internet

The tusks look almost like a wart hog. He would have been in trouble in a couple more years, because those tusks would have punched through the skin of his jaw, and infection may have killed him a long lingering death. You did him a favor with that old 375!

These pictures reminds me of a hippo on the Luangwa River, in Zambia. The right tusk missed the grinder, and grew out at a wierd angle, and was about three feet long. My PH wanted me to shoot him, for meat for the nearby village, but we coundn't get a shot at him.

SGraves155, when I read the tital to your posts, it reminded me of my old hunting buddy, my Dad, who has been dead now 25 years. What reminded me of him was your use of the word "TUSHES" for tusks! My father is the only other person, I ever met, who used that word! Is that a common word used in Ark? I don't know where my dad got that word, because, as far as I know my dad never was in Ark.

He was born in Melton, Texas, in 1915. Melton is in the geographical center of Texas, 400 miles from Ark. I was born, and raised in the next county North of Melton, and never heard that word used by anyone but him! I often woundered where the word came from, and though it might be an old English word brought here from England by settlers, but I looked in the dicionary, and it isn't there! Confused So I still don't know
Anyway,thanks, it brought back some good memories of hunts with my dad! beer

PS:

I shot a Mulefoot, a couple years ago, and it was the first one I'd ever seen, but had heard of them all my life. Do you know what caused this mulefoot?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mac, I have family that settled in AR in 1874. I knew my Great-Grandparents as a child. My family diary states on the opening sentence: "We moved to Arkansas (from KY) to hunt." He always said "tushes" (and he killed a great number of hogs, Bears & Deer) as did my Grandmother. It is still used today by my friends who live in AR. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great skull........does look like an American Warthog!!

I really like seeing the old photos too!!

Thanks for posting this!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
It is still used today by my friends who live in AR. Good hunting, David

I thought it might be an Arkansas Thing. I've never hunted in Ark., so wasn't aware that it was for sure! It must have been common in some other places in old times. My dad would be 92 yrs old if he'd lived till today, And I never knew my Grandfather on my dad's side he died when I was three months old. My sirname is McCartney, and my dad's family came to the US in North Carolina in 1736,and over the next 100 yrs parts of the family migrated to Texas, in 1836, but they came into Tx through Louisianna,near where the town of Tyler,Tx is today. They may have picked the word up in Louisianna. Also in 1836 there were a lot of settelers in Texas from Ark, and Tenn. My moter's family came to TX in 1892, from the OKLahoma Indian Teritory, but as far as I know they never used the phrase. That also may be where it came from! Confused beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
MAC, sorry it took so long to get back on your question, but I got the word from my father, and he would be 101 yo if still living.
The mulefoots were apparently a result of some inbreeding among the escaped hogs brought in by the spanish explorers. There recently were a few farms that selectively bred the mulefoot in the Missouri/Arkansas Ozarks area, but I do not know if they are still in operation.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pic, would love to take one with "tushes" like that some day. Here in North Texas you still here the term tushes used, mostly from older folks and folks who are of rural background.

My Dad, almost 72, still calls them tushes, and to him a small tree stump is called a "stob", like in "Dont run over that stob of you will blow out a tire."

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eterry:
Great pic, would love to take one with "tushes" like that some day. Here in North Texas you still here the term tushes used, mostly from older folks and folks who are of rural background.

My Dad, almost 72, still calls them tushes, and to him a small tree stump is called a "stob", like in "Dont run over that stob of you will blow out a tire."

Eterry

I'm 71 myself, born in Coleman County Texas,in the north end of the Texas hill country, and my dad was the only one I ever heard use the word! Seeing it here brought back some fond memories of hunting with my father, He died in Jan 1981, and would be 92 if he had lived till today. He was also born in that country. We always had wild hogs on my grandfather's ranch, and made good use of them in the smokehouse! I hunt hogs within 30 miles of where I was born, and they are still thick as chiggers in Johnson grass! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt with a guy who grew up in the Red River country--and Thackerville, OK. Never heard him use the word "tushes" but he called the car's trunk lid a "turtle shell" and the rear end/differential of the car/truck was called a "third member" -- so guess the local lingo has its own special words.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"