New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shootin' & Snarin' hogs at my lease
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Due to circumstances I've not been able to hunt as much this year as normal. However I did have a chance to go to my lease with one of my buds three weeks ago or so.

Shortly after we got there, we went out and set some snares for hogs. We've been having pretty good luck snaring.

After that we came back, sat by the fire, smoked a cigar and had a couple of toddies, then went to bed.

I've been hunting the same stand for the last 5 years and have killed tons or hogs there. Lately I've not been getting much action. So, I found a new area that no one has hunted in the last 5 years. I call it the cliffs as it is on the side of a sheer rock face about 75' above a streambed that runs parallel to the rock face. I overlooks a bowl of about 500 acres.

I've set up two spin-cast feeders for hogs. This one is about 160 yds out.

And boy are they comin' in. Saturday I got up and rode to within about 1/4 mile of my stand. Climbed up the side of the hill in the dark with the aid of a GPS and got ready. Fog rolled in so I couldn't see anything for about an hour after sunrise. However this sow came in with a bunch of piglets. A big bore was hanging around but he never would come in. I watched the bunch for about five minutes and decided to take one. Nailed him between the shoulder and ear with a 140 gr. accubond out of my 7-08. DRT. No pix for this one though.

Later on we went and checked the snares, two were tripped and nothing to show, but the third caught this young boar.

We dispatched the boar and my bud loaded it up on his ATV and it was back to camp to dress him out.

Shot one more Saturday evening, here is the pix of that one.

Did the campfire and toddy thing saturday nite along with marinated pork tenderloin, grilled corn on the cob, baked potato and beans. Slept in late Sunday morning.
Boy my wife thinks deer camp is tough sledding. Don't anyone tell her different.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good job--I'm out of state on "vacation" but back inbound tomorrow. Should be home in time to grab my bow, verify the zero, and head to the close stand for a spell of sitting.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG:top] [/IMG]

Hope you dont mind, just thought I would share some pictures of some hogs we shot at night with some night vision rifles I had set up and just started snaring hogs this year and i love it. I have only caught three so far but great fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to post this pic of the big one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring 'em on dude,
luv seein' pix of porkers that have succumbed to lead poisoning,

here are a few I have known.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Looks like you could feed the whole county to a barbecue weekend. That big black hog of jcjr's sure has some cutters.
And Geedudya has a whole bunch of boars with impressive tushes there.
Those night-time trailcam pix at the feeders with the big agressive boars are some of my favorites.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GDub sorry to hear you havent been able to hunt like usual. Those are some nice hogs you got there my friend and maybe when youre in Hawaii again we can go chase some hogs together Smiler

Aloha!

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey GW,

It is good to see you out and about again!! Congrats all around! I like the good lookin' dude in the Posse Cap!

We are headed out for our "Big Boars with Big Bores Hunt" next weekend.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice lookin pics

do the snares catch the hogs around the neck or the legs?

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Very nice ,boars ,congratulations.
Congrats too to the shooter that used FAL rifles ,its an excellent gun.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mattyboy,

I've had them catch hogs around the neck, neck & leg, front leg only and also the snout.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW shocker
quite a line up of big mature boars,nice work!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mattyboy,

I've had them catch hogs around the neck, neck & leg, front leg only and also the snout.
GWB

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FAntastic GW!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
NICE GOING, GWB! tu2 tu2

Keep poppin' 'em.

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Damn nice pigs with big cutters. Tell me more about snaring. What kind of wire are you using? Are you making you own or commercial snares?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me more about snaring. What kind of wire are you using? Are you making you own or commercial snares?

Me too. I'm kinda curious??????

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'd love to tell you that it was something difficult or exotic. But its not. There are numerous online sites that sell snares. Do a google search for snares or snaring wild hogs. I've been buying the snares at Mumme's in Hondo Texas. Buying them there as its on the way to my lease and they have corn and protein. I buy their large snare. It is large enough to form about a 16" loop. I attach aircraft cable with a wire rope clip and secure the end of the cable to either a tree or a couple of tee posts hammered well into the ground. Usually set up at a hole under the fence where they've been coming through. I hold the loop up with a twist tie. Usually set a couple of heavy rocks or tree branches on either side of the snare where they have to go through the snare to get through the hole. I take sour corn, guts etc. and place on both sides of the fence/snare, that way if they come from either direction, being the pigs that they are they keep on eating till they go through the snare. The snares have a metal clip fashioned such that when pulled tight it will not back off, but will get tighter. Sometimes you catch them, sometimes you don't. Adds another dimension to your hunts. Its kind of a rush to ride up on a 300 lb. boar on a atv, watch him charge and hit the end of the cable and sunfish with his legs straight up about 3 to 4 ft. off the ground, come back to earth and do it again. If you're like me you'll either be shooting or yelling at your buds to shoot pretty quickly.
Best
GWB

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Adds another dimension to your hunts. Its kind of a rush to ride up on a 300 lb. boar on a atv, watch him charge and hit the end of the cable and sunfish with his legs straight up about 3 to 4 ft. off the ground, come back to earth and do it again. If you're like me you'll either be shooting or yelling at your buds to shoot pretty quickly.
Best
GWB

rotflmo I'd pay good money to see that! Sounds like a nice addition to any hog hunt.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote