Notify
Tools

Something ate my pig !!!???? TWO NEW PICS ADDED
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Yesterday night I went hunting.
I was returning from the feeders deep inside the forest and as always I was carrying a spotlight. I saw some pigs in an already harvested wheat field.

I turn off the spotlight inmediately and continue driving for 600 yards, then I stop the truck behind some trees and start walking with the wind in my face towards the pigs.

They were between me and a pine plantation, aprox. 100 yards from the pines.

I get close and shot one with my 6,5x55 and the pig turn round and run towards the pine plantation as if nothing had happened Frowner

I discovered later that the shot was too back and hit the end of one of the lungs and the liver.

There was some blood near the end of the wheat field but nothing more, I was unable to find the exact place where the pig went into the pines.

By then it was 3 am and with a big thunder storm over my head I quit searching and returned to the farm house to have some sleep.

Feeling miserable because I thought I have lost the pig I returned today at 10 am to the place and very near where the blood was I found the pig dead.

The thunder storm of the night before was reaaly BIG and the rains heavy.

So the thing is that between 3 am and day light something ate the head of the pig !! Eeker

I have never saw something like this before, it was a perfect circle where even the skull was cut !!! Eeker

I don't understand, normally a wild animal would have started leaking the bullet wound that was with blood and start eating there but the head ?????

The place were the pig run from the open (harvested wheat plantation)that you see in the back.

The pig with the head eaten and the bullet wound far back in the body.

A close picture from the head... bewildered

Does any of you know what animal could have done something like this ?? Even the skull was cut (sp?) and the brains eaten... Eeker

Whatever was, has done it under an increadible thunder storm and very heavy rains and between 3 am and daylight..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
El Chupacabra? bewildered

I do not think I have ever seen that without a saw. Could the bullet have exited there and left a wound? Or exited and then re-entered?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
We don't have wolfs, bears or cougars in my country....it looks like if a white shark has bite him but the ocean is not near....Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
No, when I opened the pig there was two bullets holes in both sides of his ribs, the bullet just pass through and it was far away from the head as you see in the pictures.

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess would be a stray dog, I have a pigdog here which, if you leave it with a dead pig will do that. She starts eating the ear every time.

Posts: 4294 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
space Little green men? nilly

jumping

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Let me tell you that next week I will watch my back while walking there at night.. Big Grin

Bloody thing, I hope it is just a dog as shankspony says..

L

One of Us
Picture of garretttodd
posted Hide Post
If you wrap yourself in foil they won't be able to detect you.

Those who pound their swords into plowshares will be plowing for those of us who don't

Posts: 64 | Location: Fort worth, Texas | Registered: 10 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The "wild dog" theory is still the best so far...with the one of the little green men right behind in second place jumping

L

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
How's Pancho coming along? Seems like this would have been a good job for him.

I vote brain eating zombie did it.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Werewolves...you should buy silvertips

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
El Chupacabra? bewildered

[QUOTE]

rotflmo

My first thought too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Werewolfs are out, it wasn't the full moon, and watch out for nickle plated imposters when hunting them, that will get you chomped as fast as using solids on lion.
The tinfoil idea is good for aliens, however watch out for the sneaky sods and their rectal probes.

Posts: 4294 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Martin or Fox, I've seen where they've chewed on heads of Deer that were not found and remained out overnight, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it was bigfoot.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
At the beginning I thought in my mother in law...but knowing her, she would have suck all the blood out of the pig so she is out of the list.. Big Grin

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mother-in-law?

If it were my mother-in-law that pig would have been turned to stone!!

Looks pretty freaky to me.
I'd get a game camera out there and leave another dead pig out there as bait...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
Mother-in-law?

If it were my mother-in-law that pig would have been turned to stone!!

Looks pretty freaky to me.
I'd get a game camera out there and leave another dead pig out there as bait...

Cheers
Tinker

Excellent idea!! Time for some covert ops.

Was probably El Pata Grande de los Puercos!!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Der Hirnpecker! Eeker

Vom Hirnpecker

Der Hirnpecker ist ein recht gefährlicher Vogel. Er ist nicht viel größer wie ein Geyer, aber er hat’s auf die Leut abgesehen. Und wenn er einen Menschen wo sieht im Freien, dann saust er herab, setzt sich auf den Hut und peckt so lang auf die Stirn, bis das Gehirn herausgeht.

Das frißt er dann, das Gehirn. Und wem er das Gehirn herausgefressen hat, der muß dann sterben.

Da ist der Bären Kaspar einmal mit der roten Dirn vom Deixlheber Anderl am Himmelreichanger in der Garchinger Flur an einem Sonntag spazieren gegangen und hat nicht viel Gutes im Sinn gehabt.

Aber sie ist standhaft geblieben, die rote Dirn vom Deixlheber.

Zuerst hat er ihr einen Lebzelten versprochen, dann ein rotes Fürtuch und ein Halsgeschnür.

Sie tät sich Sünden fürchten, hat sie aber gesagt, die Rote.

Dann hat er ihr die Ehe versprochen.

Aber weil der Kaspar von seinem Vatern den Hof erben wird mit etlichen zwanzig Stück Vieh und vier Roß, drum hat sie’s ihm nicht geglaubt, daß er sie heiratet.

Da hat ihn der gache Zorn gepackt, den Kasper. „Itzt mußt justament die meinige sein!“ hat er geschrieen und wie ein Wilder angepackt.

Ah, der kennt die rote Deixelheber Dirn schlecht. Die hebt einen Sack Traid, den allerschwersten, auf den Wagen. Nein, da hilft ihm das Wildsein nix.

Ausgelacht, ja, ausgelacht hat sie ihn. Aber wie er dann so blaß geworden ist, da hat er ihr leid getan und sie hat gemeint, was nicht ist, könnt noch werden und wann das Korn noch nicht reif ist, darf man es halt noch nicht mähen.

Da hat der Kasper auf einmal in die Höh geschaut und einen Schrei getan.

Die Rote hat verwundert auch aufgeschaut: „Was hast denn, daß Du so schreist?“

„Der Hirnpecker!“ Und der Kasper schlägt seine Jacke über den Kopf.

Und die rote Dirn hat geschrieen: „Der Hirnpecker!“ und hat ihre Röck über den Kopf geschlagen, daß ihr der Vogel nicht an’s Leben kann.

„Ist schon da, der Hirnpecker!“ hat der Kasper wieder geschrieen und die rote Dirn hat gesagt: „ja, und pecken tut er auch schon. Aber wo der hinpeckt, da wird er halt das Hirn nit finden können.“

Da hat sie schon recht gehabt, die Rote. Aber wie sie dann einmal gesagt hat, der Bub ist vom Hirnpecker und das könnt sie beschwören, da hat’s ihr kein Mensch nicht geglaubt. Und der Kasper, den sie als Zeugen aufgerufen hat, der hat sich gar nimmer an die Geschicht erinnern können.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The solution is simple, you shot the pig with a 6.5 bullet, they are magical. Remember when President Kennedy was shot, with a 6.5 bullet? It is called by some the magic bullet because of the turns and elevation changes it made to go through Kennedy & Connelly. Your 6.5 entered, exited and then circled back to blow part of the head off. See, now that's so simple once you know how tricky 6.5 bullets are. So far there are no verified instances of a 6.5 bullet reversing course to drop the shooter, but hey, who knows? It could happen.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a blue healer who would eat a deer's ears, lips, and eyes before you could walk to the house and get the truck. She thought the rifle shot was a dinner bell.

It may have been another hog...we found a deer hit by car who dragged himself off the roadway and was found by hogs, there was nothing left of it but the horns, a small patch of hide and hooves. The tracks and scat pointed to hogs, it was a real eye-opener.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am betting on a bird of prey.......like a night hawk, Owl or other large bird feeding in the night. Some of them just eat into the head of their prey for the brains. Ask your local birding experts or a game biologist.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
If that photo is taken of just how you found the pig then there should have been some tracks if a mammal ate it. I don't see any marks on the ground other than a couple boot prints and I assume those are yours at the time of inspection.

If it were a bird there should be some droppings on the carcass, I don't see any.

My guess is somehow a bullet went through that area. There is a lot of truma to the tissue. Typically animals feeding wouldn't scramble the meat like that. I've (legally) night hunted quite a few pigs and several times I was incorrect on the angle the animal was standing in the dark. Is it possible a shot could have gone through both of those holes?

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I am betting on a bird of prey.......like a night hawk, Owl or other large bird feeding in the night. Some of them just eat into the head of their prey for the brains. Ask your local birding experts or a game biologist.

Der Hirnpecker ist ein Vogel! Eeker

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, suffering from far too many Sherlock Holmes stories, and Colombo episodes, here is my festive solution.

The wound 'looks' too regular, "neat" to me to have a natural cause (teeth, claws or beak).

It looks like it has been 'sliced' or 'cleaved'. Maybe a machete or axe was used?

Again, the wound margin in the 2-d image looks too regular to have been done with a small knife.

OTOH, steal some crosses from the local church and start casting your own silver bullets.....

Technological advances mean 'werewolves' do not need the light of full moons to hunt anymore Wink

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
The picture was taken something like 80 yards from where the pig was. The animal was with the eaten side upward and it was in a small depression.

As I told you, I quit the search the night before because a big thunder storm and a very heavy rain so the pig was in the middle of a small "stream" of running water caused by the rains, not a natural stream.

The idea of an owl is not bad, here we have a very big eared owl called "Ñacurutú" (guaraní language), but I thought these birds eats small mammals like mice.

The bullet was a perfect pass through, I shot only one shot to this pig from close distance. he was looking to my right, he turn round and run something like 200 yards (100 in the wheat field and 100 more inside the pine plantation.

Yes it's a little freake, in person it was worst, the sight was disgusting.

I looked for signs of another hog but I don't see nothing, as I told you, the pig was in the middle of rain water.

Obviously was some kind of animal, but it's not the first time we have a pig or deer out there for a night but we never saw something like this.

Maybe a dog, another pig or a big owl, I don't know but there are not many more options.

Bloody thing, don't scarry me, 90% of the time I hunt alone around the feeders in the middle of the forest till 1 am and then we get together with my hunting buddy to hunt together the area between the forest and the crops for the rest of the night.

Next time out there I will use ear muffs just in case I get asleep Big Grin

L

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Looking at this upside down was driving me nuts...(loco for you latinos)

it looks possible that the pig could have been sharply angled when hit...the bullet goes in deflects off a shoulder blade or something and exits the head.

Did you say there was an exit wouund on the other side or not? You mention a pass through? not sure if you menat a pass throuugh on the other side.

Now the rest of the wound I don't...

Wait wait...it was a crazy Argentine female vampire...they are very angerous and flesh eating.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really guys -- it's either the "Magic of the Six-and a-Half Millimeter" as per Kennedy etc --

OR some absolutely nasty mother-in-lawish nightmare from the depths of the woods.

Judging solely from what I have seen here in California with my own eyes, my vote goes for the Feral Mother-in-Law theory.

From what I've heard (on good sources) the notorious 6.5mm performance can only be reproduced in or very near Dallas, Texas!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mike,

When I shot the pig, it was looking in that same direction.

The blood spot you see in the picture right in the middle of the pig is where the bullet entered. There was a slightly bigger hole right on the other side that was the exit hole.

So it's impossible that the bullet has done this..

L

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Got it...I would then be careful around you madre de ley...she may be the bandito... Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Although I can not identify brains in these pictures, if brain was actually exposed, then at least part of the wound was fresh.
Some of the wound edges look as if they are beginning to try to heal. Could the pig have been caught by a dogo several weeks ago, and had the ear shaken/ripped, then perhaps maggot infested for a week? Just me guessing.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Steve,

We also thought that possibility but there where no maggots in the wound... bewildered

The pictures have been sent to a brazilian biologist which it seems to be an expert in southamerican predators, lets see if he can give us some ideas. This man is good friend of a friend of mine who also is an expert who works for an international timber company as an wildlife advisor studying the impact of commercial non native tree species in indigenous wildlife or something like that Big Grin

L

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
One more thing...it's possible that because of the thunder storm a lighting hitted a tree and part of it hit the dead pig that was in the water ?? and because of that the "wounds edges look like beginning to heal" as Steve said ??

L

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
It looks like maybe ants got to the brains, but don't see any ants around. Possible the rain shooed them off.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am still voting for the mother in law

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I am still voting for the mother in law

Let me guess, you have visitors for Xmas?

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Nah...no mother-in-law here...I have just seen a lot of them

Mike

posted Hide Post
It's hard to recognize the anatomy in the photo. Is it possible the pig was that way already? Piggy brain cancer?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am going with the 1 in a million shot that the pig was struck by lightening in the head. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Opening the pig...

And another one from the head...

L