Find
Notify
Tools

My hog/sheep hunt with pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I just go back from my hunt. The first day we had torrential rain. All I can say is hogs must love torrential rain. We saw quite a few hogs. They were hitting the feeder and seemed to be very active. The wind was swirling so I only got a glimpse of a big black 200+ hog. He must have smelled us because he stepped out of the tree line, sniffed and was gone in 5 seconds. I didn't even have a chance to even grab my rifle.

My buddy connected with a 100 pound hog. He was using my 84M in 257 Roberts with 115 NBTs. Shot was perfect low behind the shoulder, exited the opposite shoulder. He ran 20 yards on 3 legs and collapsed.

The next day was an all day drizzle. I expected to see more hogs because they came out in heavy rain the previous day. Boy was I wrong. We didn't see any hogs all morning. We decided to kick around in some of the thick stuff and see if we could jump some if they were bedded down.

They were bedded down and we did find some moving ahead of us. I soon realized this was stupid. The brush was so thick you could only make out hair if you saw one. I had no idea what I was looking at or where to shoot. The last thing I remember seeing was a giant set of balls moving away from me...and in an instant...they were gone.

We got out of the thick stuff and decided to move around and glass. We did see a lot of deer moving, mostly does (4 days before deer season of course). Then we saw something white and it turned out to be a Texas Dall Sheep bedded down. So we put a stalk on him.

I switched out my 9.3x62 for the 257 Roberts. We got to within 100 yards of him when he saw us and started running straight away. Now I wished I was holding my 9.3 to try a Texas heart shot. After about 30 yards of running straight, he turned to the right quartering away and I was able to nail him at about 130 yards. He dropped like a bag of hammers from a spine shot. Bullet did not exit but it did it's job.

He turned out to be a pretty good ram with 27" horns. I'm not sure how to score him but he looks pretty good. I dropped him off at the taxidermist for a European skull mount.

No story would be complete without pics so here they are.

My buddies meat hog.

The autopsy and the 115 NBT.

Me and my ram.

My deadly 257 Roberts.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Cool report. Thanks.

I really like that rifle!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Good photos. Looks like a fun hunt. Looks like the temps were mild.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, I love the stock on that rifle. Nice shooting. Were you on a paid hunt, just on your lease, what? Just curious.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Paid hunt.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott:

Great pair of curls, sure an ugly faced
critter though.
Nice stock, what kinda wood is that?
Angle don't show well enough and I'm not
that good at guessing.

Thanks much,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote