THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    What percentage of your kills could be done w 35 Rem?

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What percentage of your kills could be done w 35 Rem?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted
What percentage of your kills are within 200 yds?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of 27 kills in the past 15 months, the longest has been 125 yds, the closest 20 yds (with a bow). However, I hunt over feeders and set up around 70-125 yds depending on terrain an prevailing winds.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I can't remember ever killing a hog over 200 yards away; most were much closer.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
I should have added that my hunting will probably be in CA. Believe me I'd rather spend my dollars in Texas but CA is within driving distance. I doubt that they let you hunt at night there so the ranges might be longer.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I have only killed one hog over 200 yards in my life, and that was a couple of weeks ago and misjudgment on my part. Nearly all my hogs have been killed within 50 yards.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I've shot one hog at 110 yds on a cattle ranch in Texas, all others have been at much closer range. On my land at home you probably couldn't see a hog a hundred yds away.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
In 22 years of outfitting for pigs in CA we've taken somewhere toward 1,500 animals. I'd estimate 2 to 3 percent have been taken over 200 yards. No matter the skill of the shooter or quality of the equipment, ideal conditions for long shots don't present themselves very often AND if the wind is in your favor pigs aren't that hard to sneak up on.

Our average shot is about 100 yards. Between being so difficult to find when wounded, almost constantly moving and typically only showing themselves in low light - they are not conducive to ethical long range shooting.

While you could have the potential for a longer shot in some of the more open hunting areas in CA, in most cases if you're hunting with a competent guide they'll get you closer than 200 yards.

BTW - If you're hunting with a LEGAL outfitter in CA, they WON'T be hunting at night.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
In CA we don't get the volume like the boys in TX do. Even with no baiting in CA, of the dozen or so pigs I have shot, I think, 180 or 190 was the longest.

I bet that only 2-3 were 125-175. Most were in the 75-100 range.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Last 5 of 6 under 200, 3 of 6 under 100.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
All of mine have been under 100.....4X

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say about 99.5% could EASILY have been done with a .35 Rem. The only one that stands out as being really difficult was my biggest boar (350) who I spotted trotting across a pasture early one morning while I was driving around checking cattle. I closed the distance by speeding up to the top of the next little hill and stopped and jumped out. Being a typical old and smart boar, he had kicked it into a higher gear. I had a .30-06 Browning Mauser that was sighted in at 200. By the time I got out, boar was in a full run at over 200.....5 shots later I had weighted him down and he keeled over at about 350. Not superb shooting, but a running boar at range is a very difficult target. I was lucky to get him. Point is, I doubt that the higher trajectory of a .35 would have gotten the job done unless it was sighted in for a much greater than normal range.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most all of my pig kills have been under 200 yards.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lost count of how many hogs I have killed, but with the exception of the last three, all were 200 or less. The last three were at lazered 247, 270, and 280 yards, and so help me, someone other than me was directing the flight of the bullet. I don't typically shoot that far at anything, but in these cases it was "just a pig"...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
100%

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
That 35 remmie shouldn't have any trouble killing any hog with the right bullet. Since I almost exclusively hunt with a handgun nowadays, most of my kills are under 100 yards.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
100%

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
When I started hunting hogs, the vast majority -- probably 85-90 percent -- could have been taken with a .35 Rem.

But in the past 3 years or so, the ranges are on the increase due to my lack of mobility. I still won't stretch things much, though. My longest shot ever on a hog was 292 yards. My 2nd longest was 280 yards a few weeks ago. And I only shoot that far when conditions are very good and I know I can place the bullet exactly where I want.

I am also limited in my shot selection for another reason. If I do not have help or someone I can call to assist with the retrieval, I can only take shots where I can gain access with a truck or tractor as I can no longer drag game like I used to. But even with these restrictions -- and the fact that my "hunting" now is more like "sniping" -- it doesn't take away any of the satisfaction of shooting one of these Texas porkers... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Many TX ranches want hunters to at least try to kill every hog they see. Last few trips to Texas have included several over 200 yds. But if we were having to pay for the hogs, none would have been. Cool

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote