New
Find
Notify
Tools

Independent reports on SCI Auction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You seem to be trying to learn and gather the facts to form an opinion...I give you credit for that. Most antis never get that far.

However, I'm skeptical that you won't take those facts twist and spin them to further your own anti-hunting narrative.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cajun,

Please see my previous post regarding article about antis.

As with regards to Mr Hemingway, I'll take your real journalist comment on the chin and with a pinch of salt. The other comment I will say it is possible for me to admire hunters / conservationists. There are two or three hunters here whom I admire. I don't have to like all of someone's actions to think they are a good person or worthy of my admiration.

Heym 450/400,

I've been forming an opinion for several years now and although it is not fully formed and maybe never will be, many aspects of it have changed.
I completely understand your concerns regarding me and can only say I have had ample opportunity to twist or take out of context the words here and have not done so. This works both ways of course and other than a couple of people on here and only on here I have had the same respect.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:
Cajun,

Please see my previous post regarding article about antis.

As with regards to Mr Hemingway, I'll take your real journalist comment on the chin and with a pinch of salt. The other comment I will say it is possible for me to admire hunters / conservationists. There are two or three hunters here whom I admire. I don't have to like all of someone's actions to think they are a good person or worthy of my admiration.

Heym 450/400,

I've been forming an opinion for several years now and although it is not fully formed and maybe never will be, many aspects of it have changed.
I completely understand your concerns regarding me and can only say I have had ample opportunity to twist or take out of context the words here and have not done so. This works both ways of course and other than a couple of people on here and only on here I have had the same respect.

Ms. Burns, duly noted and thanks for your response. I look forward to reading your upcoming article. Cheers and keep well.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair game,

Thank you for your response. I agree that there is a lot missing from the article but when you are only given 4000 words it is hard to pack the info in.
Thanks for the statistics also. Could you tell me if the area around you is more suited to hunting or photo safari? I note you said 80% of photo safari takes place within hunting areas. Also could you tell me how involved the hunting industry around you is with ZAWA's HWPO initiative?

The adjacent Kafue National Park embraces the best of the country and is extremely scenic. However under utilised and holds only a small number of photographic operators.

I am considering a small photographic operation as an additional income for my attached community. For the local market and probably self drive and self catering.

80% of the photographic camps are based in the Luangwa hunting concessions and view the best of the concession and the adjoining parks.

The HWPO is active throughout Zambia but could do with more numbers. I was a HWPO for 15 odd years.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
jolouburn,

You would do well to consider what would happen to these vast swathes of pristine environment if they were left alone and without a presence. There is a short clip on the forum about Chinko project and you would do well to have a look at it. It is on par with what is happening in most concessions. Unfortunately there are a few that tarnish our name and normally they are portrayed as hunters. Most of the undesirable images come from the canned Lion hunting industry of which many are opposed to.

One of my clients has funded a water project for one of the schools and if you want to volunteer then you can join me in this project. These children know that the money comes from hunting and the sustainable utilisation of their lands.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,

Thank you again for your responses. Zambia is a country that I would very much like to visit. As a non-hunter of course photo safari is always the way I would go on a visit there but I would also like to volunteer and do some conservation work. More and more over the years I have seen how the majority of volunteer schemes available are really nothing to do with conservation at all and this has disheartened me. Luckily I have had offers from several posters here to go and see for myself how hunting concessions work and the contributions they make to conservation and the community. I very much hope in the near future I will be able to take up one of these offers and actually participate in some useful conservation.
Regarding your friends water initiative I would very much like to help but being in the UK makes it difficult to say the least to do anything hands on unless I do get to visit Zambia. However I would be more than happy to make a small monthly donation to this and anything else you feel I could do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anotherazwriter,

I'm a vegetarian.
I take your opinion of me on board but I will be happy when conservation works. Be that with hunters being able to hunt or not. Whatever works is my goal. If I just wanted hunting banning why did I write the articles I did. I could have quite easily adapted to fit that mould that would say hunting is not good for conservation at all.

A vegetarian is in some ways a hunter's best friend, because they prove everyday you don't have to eat meat to live. Those that eat meat do so for their own pleasure.

Now that we have established most of the world's population kills animals (directly or indirectly) for their personal pleasure, I guess it would be logical to discuss hypocrisy when it comes to the morality of hunting, eh?

The debate of hunting as a conversation tool is worthy of merit, but conservation is not why most anti-hunters protest what we do - they find it morally reprehensible, even though the VAST majority of them eat meat. Ironically, they somehow justify eating meat because the animal was raised for food...hmmm...but yet these same people protest canned lion hunts??

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fairgame,

Thank you again for your responses. Zambia is a country that I would very much like to visit. As a non-hunter of course photo safari is always the way I would go on a visit there but I would also like to volunteer and do some conservation work. More and more over the years I have seen how the majority of volunteer schemes available are really nothing to do with conservation at all and this has disheartened me. Luckily I have had offers from several posters here to go and see for myself how hunting concessions work and the contributions they make to conservation and the community. I very much hope in the near future I will be able to take up one of these offers and actually participate in some useful conservation.
Regarding your friends water initiative I would very much like to help but being in the UK makes it difficult to say the least to do anything hands on unless I do get to visit Zambia. However I would be more than happy to make a small monthly donation to this and anything else you feel I could do.

Thank you for the kind offer Jolouburn and maybe you can come as a photographic client? That would be a contribution to the Kaindu community.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Anotherazwriter,

I'm a vegetarian.
I take your opinion of me on board but I will be happy when conservation works. Be that with hunters being able to hunt or not. Whatever works is my goal. If I just wanted hunting banning why did I write the articles I did. I could have quite easily adapted to fit that mould that would say hunting is not good for conservation at all.

A vegetarian is in some ways a hunter's best friend, because they prove everyday you don't have to eat meat to live. Those that eat meat do so for their own pleasure.

Now that we have established most of the world's population kills animals (directly or indirectly) for their personal pleasure, I guess it would be logical to discuss hypocrisy when it comes to the morality of hunting, eh?

The debate of hunting as a conversation tool is worthy of merit, but conservation is not why most anti-hunters protest what we do - they find it morally reprehensible, even though the VAST majority of them eat meat. Ironically, they somehow justify eating meat because the animal was raised for food...hmmm...but yet these same people protest canned lion hunts??

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said here. I cannot and will not defend the anti-hunter who thinks it is perfectly acceptable for an animal to die for meat. I was that person a couple of years ago and yes I was a hypocrite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Fairgame,

Thank you for the kind offer Jolouburn and maybe you can come as a photographic client? That would be a contribution to the Kaindu community.

Hopefully I will, I would love to.

I have just watched the Chinko Project video. I'm going to do some more reading on it too. What an absolutely amazing place and fabulous program they have.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Anotherazwriter,

I'm a vegetarian.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said here. I cannot and will not defend the anti-hunter who thinks it is perfectly acceptable for an animal to die for meat. I was that person a couple of years ago and yes I was a hypocrite.

Do you wear or carry leather? Eat eggs?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one was forcing you to eat meat but you chose to eat it.What does that tell you? You liked the taste of it but now you tell people not to have that same pleasure.Is that because it does not serve your interest?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Anotherazwriter,

I'm a vegetarian.

Do you wear or carry leather? Eat eggs?

No and no. Eggs I don't like anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
No one was forcing you to eat meat but you chose to eat it.What does that tell you? You liked the taste of it but now you tell people not to have that same pleasure.Is that because it does not serve your interest?

Absolutely, I was a hypocrite as I've already stated.
Also as already stated to Saeed I'm not telling anyone they can't eat meat, each to their own. Yes I love the taste of meat but I don't need meat to live and do not want animals die for me to do so. It is a personal choice, just as your choice to eat meat and hunt is a personal choice.

To be clear I have always thought of meat hunting and trophy hunting as two separate entities and whether you like it or not many antis separate them too. The arguments of whether we need meat in our diet to be as healthy as possible is key to this separation of the two forms of hunting. People can accept more easily the killing of an animal if it has a very visible benefit in their opinion, ie health. What they find more difficult to accept is as they see it the killing of an animal just to put it stuffed in a trophy room. They see no benefit to man or animal in this.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Ms. Burns, forwarded a PM to your attention. Cheers!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cajun,

I have received it thank you. I will respond when I get my thoughts together on this.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Also as already stated to Saeed I'm not telling anyone they can't eat meat, each to their own. Yes I love the taste of meat but I don't need meat to live and do not want animals die for me to do so. It is a personal choice, just as your choice to eat meat and hunt is a personal choice.

To be clear I have always thought of meat hunting and trophy hunting as two separate entities and whether you like it or not many antis separate them too. The arguments of whether we need meat in our diet to be as healthy as possible is key to this separation of the two forms of hunting. People can accept more easily the killing of an animal if it has a very visible benefit in their opinion, ie health. What they find more difficult to accept is as they see it the killing of an animal just to put it stuffed in a trophy room. They see no benefit to man or animal in this.

Ms. Burns, with all due respect, perhaps you should pose this question to the anti-hunters: Did the ethically harvested wild game referenced below commit suicide? Cheers!

Zimbabwe: The conception of the Bubye Valley Conservancy required an incredible amount of foresight, but also the wisdom to realise that in the business of wildlife conservation there is no success unless you have the support of the surrounding communities. The Conservancy donates over 45 tonnes of meat to the local communities each year, which effectively removes the incentive for meat poaching.

Zambia: Sport hunting has reportedly multiple benefits to economies and local communities; however, few of these benefits have been quantified. As part of their lease agreements with the Zambia Wildlife Authority, sport hunting operators in Zambia are required to provide annually to local communities free of charge i.e., provision a percentage of the meat obtained through sport hunting. We characterized provisioning of game meat to rural communities by the sport hunting industry in Zambia for three game management areas (GMAs) during 2004–2011. Rural communities located within GMAs where sport hunting occurred received on average > 6,000 kgs per GMA of fresh game meat annually from hunting operators. To assess hunting industry compliance, we also compared the amount of meat expected as per the lease agreements versus observed amounts of meat provisioned from three GMAs during 2007–2009. In seven of eight annual comparisons of these GMAs, provisioning of meat exceeded what was required in the lease agreements. Provisioning occurred throughout the hunting season and peaked during the end of the dry season (September–October) coincident with when rural Zambians are most likely to encounter food shortages. We extrapolated our results across all GMAs and estimated 129,771 kgs of fresh game meat provisioned annually by the sport hunting industry to rural communities in Zambia at an approximate value for the meat alone of >US$600,000 exclusive of distribution costs. During the hunting moratorium (2013–2014), this supply of meat has halted, likely adversely affecting rural communities previously reliant on this food source. Proposed alternatives to sport hunting should consider protein provisioning in addition to other benefits (e.g., employment, community pledges, anti-poaching funds) that rural Zambian communities receive from the sport hunting industry.

Namibian Conservancies: Of the associated benefits, meat from wildlife utilization (i.e. - sustainable sport hunting) should not be underestimated. Meat is rated as a key benefit by most conservancy members, many of whom are poor and cannot afford to buy much meat. In 2011 over 386 tons of meat were distributed to conservancy members, which at a rate of N$ 17 per kg equates to N$ 6.5 million in non-financial benefits.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has honestly been a very civilized and thoughtful conversation.

Jolouburn,
You have been thoughtful in your responses.
Many points run through many of our minds...

Why do you think, as an example, intellectually why "Antis" seem to have no issue with Fishing when it's intellectually the same ( save for artificial emotional constructs) ?

The utter Hypocracy (of some aspects) has already been addressed and you sir were both respectful and honest.
As stated...eating meat...wearing animal based products, etc

What about the Hypocracy of people simply having different views?
Why do these people believe they have the right to infringe upon ours??? That's my biggest issue

I don't ask people to understand, agree, or partake on things so WHY do they believe our rights should be taken away?

When trouble brews....it's our skirts they all hide under for protection.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
quote:
quote:

Ms. Burns, with all due respect, perhaps you should pose this question to the anti-hunters: Did the ethically harvested wild game referenced below commit suicide? Cheers!

Zimbabwe: The conception of the Bubye Valley Conservancy required an incredible amount of foresight, but also the wisdom to realise that in the business of wildlife conservation there is no success unless you have the support of the surrounding communities. The Conservancy donates over 45 tonnes of meat to the local communities each year, which effectively removes the incentive for meat poaching.

Zambia: Sport hunting has reportedly multiple benefits to economies and local communities; however, few of these benefits have been quantified. As part of their lease agreements with the Zambia Wildlife Authority, sport hunting operators in Zambia are required to provide annually to local communities free of charge i.e., provision a percentage of the meat obtained through sport hunting. We characterized provisioning of game meat to rural communities by the sport hunting industry in Zambia for three game management areas (GMAs) during 2004–2011. Rural communities located within GMAs where sport hunting occurred received on average > 6,000 kgs per GMA of fresh game meat annually from hunting operators. To assess hunting industry compliance, we also compared the amount of meat expected as per the lease agreements versus observed amounts of meat provisioned from three GMAs during 2007–2009. In seven of eight annual comparisons of these GMAs, provisioning of meat exceeded what was required in the lease agreements. Provisioning occurred throughout the hunting season and peaked during the end of the dry season (September–October) coincident with when rural Zambians are most likely to encounter food shortages. We extrapolated our results across all GMAs and estimated 129,771 kgs of fresh game meat provisioned annually by the sport hunting industry to rural communities in Zambia at an approximate value for the meat alone of >US$600,000 exclusive of distribution costs. During the hunting moratorium (2013–2014), this supply of meat has halted, likely adversely affecting rural communities previously reliant on this food source. Proposed alternatives to sport hunting should consider protein provisioning in addition to other benefits (e.g., employment, community pledges, anti-poaching funds) that rural Zambian communities receive from the sport hunting industry.

Namibian Conservancies: Of the associated benefits, meat from wildlife utilization (i.e. - sustainable sport hunting) should not be underestimated. Meat is rated as a key benefit by most conservancy members, many of whom are poor and cannot afford to buy much meat. In 2011 over 386 tons of meat were distributed to conservancy members, which at a rate of N$ 17 per kg equates to N$ 6.5 million in non-financial benefits.

Forgive me, I could be being exceedingly stupid here but I do not understand the suicide question. I personally am very aware of the meat that is distributed from trophy hunting to communities. I would suggest though that many antis are not.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
People can accept more easily the killing of an animal if it has a very visible benefit in their opinion, ie health. What they find more difficult to accept is as they see it the killing of an animal just to put it stuffed in a trophy room. They see no benefit to man or animal in this.

The point that I am trying to make is that donated meat is a "very visible benefit" of trophy hunting. Damn, I sure hate the words "trophy hunting".

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
This has honestly been a very civilized and thoughtful conversation.

Jolouburn,
You have been thoughtful in your responses.
Many points run through many of our minds...

Why do you think, as an example, intellectually why "Antis" seem to have no issue with Fishing when it's intellectually the same ( save for artificial emotional constructs) ?

The utter Hypocracy (of some aspects) has already been addressed and you sir were both respectful and honest.
As stated...eating meat...wearing animal based products, etc

What about the Hypocracy of people simply having different views?
Why do these people believe they have the right to infringe upon ours??? That's my biggest issue

I don't ask people to understand, agree, or partake on things so WHY do they believe our rights should be taken away?

When trouble brews....it's our skirts they all hide under for protection.

Your first question on the subject of fishing is an exceedingly good one. Antis do object on an intellectual level to fishing to some degree but only when it relates to certain fish. Antis for example do protest about shark fishing. They also object to whale hunting and dolphin deaths, not fish per se I know. Not many, however, that I see at least seem to kick up a stink about over fishing of say cod, halibut, tuna etc etc. I think as much as I hate to say this that it relates back to emotion and most antis respond on that level to animals they can like such as elephant, lion, rhino. I'm pretty sure you would not get the same sort of response should crocodile or hyena for example be under threat. They are not 'nice' enough for many to bother overly about. Also again as much as I hate to say it the general anti does not look or research any further than what they are told and with the loudest voice being that of the anti-hunting orgs that is who they hear and believe.

On your second question I think we are all capable of hypocrisy. Everyone has a right to hold an opinion on subjects such as hunting and I have always tried to listen to and respect those opinions and the right to hold them. Not everybody on both sides of the fence has the capability to do that. I myself have come across at least one poster here who reacts to me in the very way you speak of. If you are honest you would infringe on the antis rights to campaign against you just as they wish to infringe on your rights to hunt. What I will say here is that I do whole heartedly wish that antis would get the whole story before spouting and campaigning. Lastly on this issue I think and I say this with respect that you as a community need to stop taking this so personally. Antis are not attacking you per se but the industry within which you pursue your sport. Again when a certain poster calls me names and tries to belittle me I do not take it personally. I take it a s a general negation of the community he thinks I represent.

Your final question is very simple to answer, they fight to take your rights away because they think they are right to do so. As I said before many antis do not have any knowledge of hunting as a conservation tool and therefore only see you killing animals for fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
People can accept more easily the killing of an animal if it has a very visible benefit in their opinion, ie health. What they find more difficult to accept is as they see it the killing of an animal just to put it stuffed in a trophy room. They see no benefit to man or animal in this.

The point that I am trying to make is that donated meat is a "very visible benefit" of trophy hunting. Damn, I sure hate the words "trophy hunting".

Ah right, I did get your point then :-)

I'm sorry if you don't like the word trophy hunting but I don't know any other way to describe the difference between simply hunting to eat or hunting to put animals in a room of your house.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
jolouburn,

You would do well to consider what would happen to these vast swathes of pristine environment if they were left alone and without a presence. There is a short clip on the forum about Chinko project and you would do well to have a look at it. It is on par with what is happening in most concessions. Unfortunately there are a few that tarnish our name and normally they are portrayed as hunters. Most of the undesirable images come from the canned Lion hunting industry of which many are opposed to.

One of my clients has funded a water project for one of the schools and if you want to volunteer then you can join me in this project. These children know that the money comes from hunting and the sustainable utilisation of their lands.

Andrew,

Don't waste your time with Jellybrains and her lot.

All they care about is brainwashing the like minded ignorant masses living in the cities, who have no clew what life is like in the bush.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry if you don't like the word trophy hunting but I don't know any other way to describe the difference between simply hunting to eat or hunting to put animals in a room of your house.

Jolo,

Your statement above is a common misconception amongst the ignorant non hunting masses. I recently hunted and eventually, after 8 days solo in the high country killed a Wyoming Moose. AKA a Shiras Moose. It took me 14 years of putting into a lottery to finally receive this coveted hunting tag. During the course of this hunt I saw and passed up dozens of lesser bulls and cows. If I was simply hunting for meat I would have been done on the first day. Instead I made up my mind that I would take an old trophy bull or nothing at all.

A big decision as these tags are a once in a lifetime tag whether it is filled or not. I waited and hunted for the right bull and late in the afternoon of the 8th day I found that bull and shot him. Turns out that he was a record book bull, and he provided my family with 458 lbs of fresh organic meat.

I will have him mounted, but the simple fact that this bull is a "trophy" does not negate the fact that I also processed his meat for consumption. Your view of hunting verses "trophy" hunting is simplistic in the extreme.

When I hunt Africa I am not hunting for meat. But that does not mean the meat is wasted. Simply because I do not eat all of it does not mean that others can not benefit from my hunt.

If you really want to get into the ethics of selective "trophy" hunting vs pure sustenance hunting you'll quickly discover that sustenance hunting is by far the more damaging, wasteful nondiscriminatory and of the two. Having lived in primitive areas of Northern AK, I can state without hesitation that pure sustenance hunting is about volume it does not take into account conservation nearly to the degree that "trophy" hunting does. The old saying in the meat hunters camp "if it's brown, it goes down" male, female, young, old. Remember that a large number of the snare setters and general poachers are in fact hunting for meat. The trophy hunter is hunting on a strict and scientifically controlled quota system designed to maintain or increase current populations and herd health. That is indisputable.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Ms. Burns, with all due respect, if you are really interested in "objective journalism", perhaps you should ask Mr. Andrew to setup a conference call (via Skype) between you, Mr. Andrew, and Chief Kaindu. My understanding is that it was Chief Kaindu and his community who moved out of the Kafue floodplains to make way for Mr. Andrew's successful wildlife conservation project. Ethical hunters and anti-hunters can rant and rave until the proverbial "cows come home", but the real stakeholders are the conservancy owners/directors, concession lessees, local chiefs, headmen, and their villagers. What say you?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, there are clearly health issues with eating meat; I don't eat beef and my cholesterol is quite low; it used be below 100.

No one has to eat meat to live. They certainly don't eat it for health benefits; they eat it because it tastes good and they somehow feel it is morally justified.

Of course, I am sure Jimmy Kimmel does not start crying before he eats a hamburger, but he should.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ms. Burns, with all due respect, if you are really interested in "objective journalism", perhaps you should ask Mr. Andrew to setup a conference call (via Skype) between you, Mr. Andrew, and Chief Kaindu. My understanding is that it was Chief Kaindu and his community who moved out of the Kafue floodplains to make way for Mr. Andrew's successful wildlife conservation project. Ethical hunters and anti-hunters can rant and rave until the proverbial "cows come home", but the real stakeholders are the conservancy owners/directors, concession lessees, local chiefs, headmen, and their villagers. What say you?

Indeed and people often do not realise that hunting is the want of African communities. It is they who have set aside customary lands for the activity and it is they who have set up systems for receiving incomes, meat and other social benefits. Nearly all are hunters themselves.

Interestingly they also are perplexed at the process of trophy hunting and the taking home of skulls and skins but then again us white people do things differently. What they do know is that trophy hunting brings in maximum benefits.

They have no idea of what an anti hunter is or that they exist.

Really safari hunting is a wonderful concept. The communities lease dormant lands and the private sector invests heavily in the production of a valuable wildlife estate. The wealthy American client takes home the products that the community does not want and leaves behind a pile of cash and all the meat. In Africa this is a win win situation.

If the anti hunters wanted to make an impact or a change then they simply need to make the effort to address communal leaders. For starters you would have to blow emotion out of the window and out bid the current benefits they receive. Then how would you address the meat requirement? In addition they have never heard of Cecil and treat Lion as filthy vermin. You tell them Lion are endangered they will laugh and tell you there are plenty.

Bush meat is more desired than ivory in a community and the prices exceed that of prime beef. To save the game it is our responsibility to nurture and increase wildlife populations to suit all markets under a sustainable format.

Hunting is what they want and I cannot stress enough that the hunting activity and it's associated land use is their decision and anti hunters are simply barking up the wrong tree.

Hunting will always happen in Zambia and whilst there are those who want to disrupt it there are as many if not more who want to embrace it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Well put Andrew. Pity anti's don't care for the facts so long as people do not have the opportunity to enjoy the hunt.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They certainly don't eat it for health benefits; they eat it because it tastes good and they somehow feel it is morally justified.

With all due respect AZ...HORSE SHIT! Meat has distinct health benefits in the human diet. There are a few select pro athletes who are strict vegetarians but for the majority, if you want to be a well rounded performance athlete, meat will be a part of your diet. To say that meat has no health benefits is simply incorrect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we or are we not classified as "omnivores"? - there has to be a reason for that else we would be part of the "herbivores" - a new term for the veggies. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Every vegan blog I’ve read has warned those who are considering abstaining from eating meat that they will need a vitamin B-12 supplement to avoid anemia, and eat large doses of certain plants to replace the calcium, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron and zinc the rest of us get from eating meat and animal products.

To me, this says we humans were intended to eat meat.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Every vegan blog I’ve read has warned those who are considering abstaining from eating meat that they will need a vitamin B-12 supplement to avoid anemia, and eat large doses of certain plants to replace the calcium, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, iron and zinc the rest of us get from eating meat and animal products.

To me, this says we humans were intended to eat meat.

Bill Quimby

Bill my wife is a vegetarian for ethical reasons. I do not question it and the only side effects are occasional mood swings and illogical thinking.

She obviously has no problem with hunting as a sustainable conservation tool which she has witnessed first hand.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not question it and the only side effects are occasional mood swings and illogical thinking

That has nothing to do with not eating meat.

Women are just made that way!

Logic is foreign to them! clap

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah right, I did get your point then :-)

In the end there is no real difference between meat hunting and trophy hunting. The only real difference is that the trophy hunter is going for the old male animals that are past their breeding life, hunting an animal like that does not negatively affect the population. This is one of the facts that you can cover in your articles. We will never be able to change the minds of the antis, but we can inform the general public of what the real value of trophy hunting is.

Ms Burns, I get the impression that you are a very civilised person that is prepared to listen to reason, that I appreciate. It can be well worth it to have a person who do not hunt and have no intention to hunt to understand what really happens in the hunting world how it serves conservation. A very big misconception with the antis is the difference between hunting and poaching, you can help by explaining it to the antis and more so to the general public, who is most of the time the most uninformed.

Everybody in the world is not a hunter, that I respect and I will never force anybody to be a hunter, but I need the non hunters to respect my choices.

We have a long road to ensure the conservation of our natural heritage, but both sides must work together, this is where you as a non hunter can help to educate the general public, especially the ones that was fed with the lies that the antis are spreading.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I honestly have no idea why you all are trying to reason with a bunch of idiots!

I like hunting.

I like eating meat.

And if the bunny huggers and grass eaters don't like it, tough luck! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
They certainly don't eat it for health benefits; they eat it because it tastes good and they somehow feel it is morally justified.

With all due respect AZ...HORSE SHIT! Meat has distinct health benefits in the human diet. There are a few select pro athletes who are strict vegetarians but for the majority, if you want to be a well rounded performance athlete, meat will be a part of your diet. To say that meat has no health benefits is simply incorrect.

If one bothers to look, there is now recent scientific evidence that a total vegan lifestyle leads to more chronic illness and a shorter lifespan. This is from refereed medical journals. Not Oprah.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ladies and gents, I know what we are getting at when we repeatedly state that hunters select "...old male specimen past their breeding life", but I truly wonder what percentage of animals taken by trophy hunters fit that description? 10% - 15%?

I personally believe that setting a sustainable quota and monitoring the population trend is what ensures sustainability. However, I'm not discounting the need to be selective in looking for that "past breeding age" specimen in the first place.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

That is unless one has a three chambered stomach and chews their cud...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike, et al:

Google famous vegetarian athletes; the list includes some very famous ones, but lacking a controlled study your claims or mine mean nothing (what percent of athletes have tried a vegetarian diet, for example?).

Even if there are benefits to eating meat, there are clearly health risks as well, especially when it comes to beef. But all of that is immaterial; the vast majority of people don't justify eating meat for health reasons - they eat meat because they like how it tastes.

Do I eat meat? Yes, unlike many of you I actually prefer game that I shoot. But my argument, which apparently is something you have not comprehended, is that if humans NEED to eat meat to live, then it is perfectly justifiable to protest trophy hunting while chewing on a steak. In my opinion, there is no difference between eating meat, wearing fur, or trophy hunting; we don't have to do any of these. However, if we convince the vast majority of people that the only reason they eat meat is for personal enjoyment, we can point out their hypocrisy and perhaps get them to consider they have no claim to the moral high ground.

Ironically, Jolouburn clearly sees my line of reasoning but it went right over your head.

Good luck guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your suggestion is a very good one, however, I believe the place to start with this subject is the basics and the missing information. As an example when thinking of poaching your general anti will think straight away of Ivory, rhino horn and lion bone. They will not think of bush meat poaching, animals being slain as pests etc. For many an anti the hunter who wants the animal for its skin etc is no better than the poacher who wants it for their ivory or horn etc.sepersting hunters from poachers, I think is a good starting point.