Notify
Tools

Independent reports on SCI Auction
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
I honestly have no idea why you all are trying to reason with a bunch of idiots!

I like hunting.

I like eating meat.

And if the bunny huggers and grass eaters don't like it, tough luck! clap[/QUOTE

Saeed, I agree with you 100%. I realize that the odds of converting rabid anti-hunters are slim and none and slim left town yesterday. However, please note that many non-hunters also access social media (including Accurate Reloading) in an effort to obtain a better understanding of ethical and sustainable hunting. As a matter of fact, several anti-hunting websites and Facebook sites (including Lion Aid) include links to the AR website. Soon after the Cecil the Lion debacle, Fairgame attempted to debate the rabid anti-hunters on ole Pieter Scat's (excuse me, I mean Pieter Kat) Lion Aid Facebook page. Once ole Pieter realized that Fairgame was successfully exposing their hidden agenda, challenging their emotion based facts, and successfully calling them out, ole Pieter kicked Fairgame to the curb (i.e. - banned him). As a result of being banned, Fairgame created a Facebook page entitled "Lion". I have observed that many non-hunters access Fairgame's Facebook page in an effort to better understand sustainable hunting and ongoing wildlife conservation initiatives. Thanks to you and the other moderators, AR provides us with an opportunity to engage rabid anti-hunters in a "fact based" vs. "emotion based" debate. If we do not take advantage of the AR website, where can we engage the anti-hunters? If ole Pieter is foolish enough include links to the AR website, then we should take advantage of his inadvertent generosity.

Well, in closing, the above is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions "Opinions are like arses, everyone has one and most of them stink". Cheers and please carry on mate.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I honestly have no idea why you all are trying to reason with a bunch of idiots!

I like hunting.

I like eating meat.

And if the bunny huggers and grass eaters don't like it, tough luck! clap

With all due respect to Saeed and others who think or speak the way he does this is the kind of comment that antis have a field day with. It is honest and to the point but shows a lack of empathy or understanding.

We are all entitled to our thoughts on issues but have to understand that at some point if they are as highly emotive or disagreed upon as hunting is we may be called to justify them. Something as simple for example as ringing your employer and telling them you won't be attending work. You would not say 'I'm not coming in' and get the response 'OK,bye'. You would be asked to justify your reason for not coming and I would hazard a guess that. A response of 'I enjoy having the day off and if you don't like tough' would not go down very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
ladies and gents, I know what we are getting at when we repeatedly state that hunters select "...old male specimen past their breeding life", but I truly wonder what percentage of animals taken by trophy hunters fit that description? 10% - 15%?

I personally believe that setting a sustainable quota and monitoring the population trend is what ensures sustainability. However, I'm not discounting the need to be selective in looking for that "past breeding age" specimen in the first place.

In this the trophy hunter and the breeder of cattle etc for meat, leather etc are pretty much the same. No meat eater wants to eat meat that is passed its prime.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
separating hunters from poachers, I think is a good starting point

Ms. Burns, I agree with your statement "Separating hunters from poachers, I think is a good starting point". I have observed that anti-hunters refuse to differentiate between ethical hunting and poaching. Without exception, every time I encounter a photo of a poached elephant, my first response is anger and soon followed by "How many protein starved villagers would this elephant carcass have fed?" Unlike a lot of anti-hunters. I have been present when safari operators delivered ethically and legally harvested wild game to the nearby villagers. Absolutely nothing is wasted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Ms. Burns, Dr. Richard Leakey, renowned paleoanthropologist, conservationist, and the first director of the Kenya Wildlife Service, included the following observations and verbiage within his 2006 speech at the Strathmore Business School located in Nairobi, Kenya:

"If you fly over parts of Tsavo today—and I challenge anyone to do so, if you have the eyes for it – you can see lines of snares set out in funnel traps that extend four or five miles. Tens of thousands of animals are being killed annually for the meat business. Carnivores are being decimated in the same snares and discarded. I am not a propagandist on this issue, but when my friends say we are very concerned that hunting will be reintroduced in Kenya, let me put it to you: hunting has never been stopped in Kenya, and there is more hunting in Kenya today than at any time since independence. (Thousands) of animals are being killed annually with no control. Snaring, poisoning, and shooting are common things. So when you have a fear of debate about hunting, please don’t think there is no hunting. Think of a policy to regulate it, so that we can make it sustainable. That is surely the issue, because an illegal crop, an illegal market is unsustainable in the long term, whatever it is. And the market in wildlife meat is unsustainable as currently practiced, and something needs to be done."

So, from an anti-hunter's perspective, what is your strategy to prevent Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, etc. from becoming Africa's next Kenya (from a wildlife conservation perspective)? If I recall correctly, the late George Santayana, world renown philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist, was quoted as saying "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". Cheers and thanks in advance for your feedback.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jo,

"No meat eater wants to eat meat that is passed its prime".

You obviously don't know much about African eating habits. Wink

In rural Africa there is no such thing as a "Porterhouse, Sirloin, Fillet, Silver side or Ossobuco"; meat is meat and where or how the knife cuts is not an issue. If the meat comes from a suckling calf, foal or a 50 year old elephant it makes no difference; as long as it looks like and tastes of meat, its party time!

You ought to focus more on the meat-poaching side of the equation as the people involved in this business are not regulated by quotas nor are they choosy on age or species as are trophy hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't actually referring to the bush meat trade. I was talking about cattle raised to be eaten. We do not think I will let the cow eg live a good life and then kill it, we kill it as and when the meat is best ready for its planned use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cajun,

That is a very powerful quotation.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Did anyone notice that the paper was published by UICN, not the IUCN, and that buried up front is the statement that the findings are not necessarily those of the IUCN?

I Googled UICN and nothing came up. It may or may not be a legitimate organization and the paper's findings may or may not be valid for West Africa, but I for one will not be surprised when they are applied to southern Africa and considered as gospel.

Bill Quimby

I'll be honest, no I did not! On starting to read I was totally confused and simply saved the file for later reading, like maybe when I'm more awake. Well spotted Bill!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:
Cajun,

This occurs all over Africa where there is no presence or management. Some of these funnels are many years old and rebuilt on a yearly basis. They are designed to catch complete herds. In Zambia they are mainly used for Sable and Eland. One survey I did across the river from me resulted in what appeared to be a genocide. Even the birds had gone.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will SCI aution benefit wildlife?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like hunting.

I like eating meat.

With all due respect to Saeed and others who think or speak the way he does this is the kind of comment that antis have a field day with. It is honest and to the point but shows a lack of empathy or understanding.

We are all entitled to our thoughts on issues but have to understand that at some point if they are as highly emotive or disagreed upon as hunting is we may be called to justify them. Something as simple for example as ringing your employer and telling them you won't be attending work. You would not say 'I'm not coming in' and get the response 'OK,bye'. You would be asked to justify your reason for not coming and I would hazard a guess that. A response of 'I enjoy having the day off and if you don't like tough' would not go down very well.

We do not interfere in your stupid, empty lives.
So why don't you do the same ?

Do you have a God given right to interfere in what others do?

What divine power has given you this previllage?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually Saeed, what I find really ironic is that liberals (or progressives if you use their new term) constantly tell us we have no right to interfere with a woman's right to reproduce (or terminate), no right to protest to men having sex together and getting married, or any number of other personal choice decisions, yet they want to turn around and tell others they cannot hunt, they cannot wear fur (to toe point of throwing paint on them, etc), or make any number of personal choices.

I know, being gay is not a choice. Neither is hunting; I was born that way. Like I said before when I am asked why I hunt, I know often reply, "I can't explain it; how do you explain why a man would want to stick his dick up another guy's ass? Some things just can't be explained, nor should they be."

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I like hunting.

I like eating meat.

Actually Saeed you do interfere with (as you call it) the stupid and empty lives of anti-hunters. The very action of hunting interferes, the sharing of trophy pictures interferes etc etc. People have a right to object to what you do just as much as you have the right to defend what you do or even do what you do. People are berated for their actions everywhere and as much as you think it should be different for you, it isn't and shouldn't be. Smokers get stuck for smoking in public places or near those that don't smoke. Parents are often thought of abusers if they choose to smack their children.
Most people stand up for what they believe to be right and unfortunately you have chosen to participate in an activity that is highly divisive in opinion.

The second two questions can be answered together. Yes I have a God given right to interfere in what others do and God gave us the right to interfere in what others do. God gave us freedom of thought and will. What we do with these gifts is really up to us, you choose to hunt, antis choose to oppose it.

I could say similar things to you such as who gave you the right to interfere with those African communities killing animals for meat? Who gave you the right to take animals from the wild and place them in your trophies rooms preventing others from seeing their beauty for themselves? Who gave you the right to judge me and others as you do? Is yours a God given right, did some divine power give you this privilege? For me the answer is the same, everyone has the right and yes it was God given.

Now personally I don't believe in God but I do believe we are all born with certain sets of characteristics that are the same and one of these is judgement. There is not a person on this planet that does not judge others for their actions, looks etc etc. You for example have judged me and found me to be an interfering, jelly brain loser with an empty and stupid life. I do not take offence at this, hell it would take a lot more than a few petty insults to do this. I, too, have judged you and find you to be someone who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, feels he is of a higher superiority than others and therefore does not need to justify his actions to anyone and does not really care about conservation but will support it as long as his right to hunt continues. You are quick to judge others but do not accept that others have the right to judge you. The fact that I am a woman really rattles your cage as you believe men are far superior and you are always right, nothing you say is opinion, it is fact in your mind.

Having said all that I also feel that there is probably far more to you than met my eye and that I might find something to like or respect in you should we actually spend time together. I believe you are capable of far more than the level of average intelligence you have shown to me. I do not believe you are however capable of showing anyone who opposes you respect. This is based on a couple of years of watching you post to myself and others.

And yes I know this will rattle your cage even more because I have critiqued what I have found if your personality and characteristics. I have judged you and in a way that is respectful, you're not going to like it one little bit.

Now, I will stop this stupid diatribe that you have tried to engage me in for years and get back to what is important. If you wish to discuss hunting etc with me that would be great but if you just want to continue in the same vein you have.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Cajun,

This occurs all over Africa where there is no presence or management. Some of these funnels are many years old and rebuilt on a yearly basis. They are designed to catch complete herds. In Zambia they are mainly used for Sable and Eland. One survey I did across the river from me resulted in what appeared to be a genocide. Even the birds had gone.

I find this incredibly saddening and infuriating at the same time. News of these kind of occurrences never make it to the UK unlike Cecil and the auctions did. There is no programming over here that concentrates on this kind of thing, at best we get anti-poaching relating to Ivory and rhino horn. We do not get shown the horrors of snaring, poisoning etc etc. I think it is high time we were more educated in a well rounded manner with ALL the information we need to decide where we stand, what is best and how to move forward. I suspect, however, this won't happen as to stations just as papers, governments and people in general all have their own agendas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Actually Saeed, what I find really ironic is that liberals (or progressives if you use their new term) constantly tell us we have no right to interfere with a woman's right to reproduce (or terminate), no right to protest to men having sex together and getting married, or any number of other personal choice decisions, yet they want to turn around and tell others they cannot hunt, they cannot wear fur (to toe point of throwing paint on them, etc), or make any number of personal choices.

I know, being gay is not a choice. Neither is hunting; I was born that way. Like I said before when I am asked why I hunt, I know often reply, "I can't explain it; how do you explain why a man would want to stick his dick up another guy's ass? Some things just can't be explained, nor should they be."

The two subjects you have chosen here are again highly emotive ones. They also share in common the fact they are opposed and fought for. Personally I have opinions on both, who doesn't? But I would never disrespect or question anyone's right to oppose me or others. I personally stand on two different sides of the fence regarding these but opposing one thing does not negate my right to be pro something else. Each issue is different and should be treat as such.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That has always been their MO. If they don't like something, they try to make sure nobody is able to do that "thing." If I don't like something I simply stay away from it. I'm not talking about criminal activity.

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxenergy:
quote:
quote:

That has always been their MO. If they don't like something, they try to make sure nobody is able to do that "thing." If I don't like something I simply stay away from it. I'm not talking about criminal activity.

Goes to prove my point!

A bunch of utterly stupid idiots who lack any purpose in their lives, so they try their best to make others as miserable as they are!

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Then you have obviously never felt strongly enough about someone's actions.
I highly doubt the above actually, in fact I would say it an outright lie. Have you never asked someone to stop clicking a pen, tapping on a table because it is irritating?
I don't know whether you have kids but if you have have you never asked them to refrain from doing something?

I bet you have asked someone to refrain from doing something for your benefit.

Being gay, being pro abortion, being pro hunting and vice versa are just far bigger, far more emotive dislikes we ask people to refrain from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes to prove my point!

A bunch of utterly stupid idiots who lack any purpose in their lives, so they try their best to make others as miserable as they are!

Ok Saeed, put your money where your mouth is.

Prove I am stupid
Prove I'm an idiot
Prove I'm miserable
Prove I have no purpose in life

Your point is pointless.

Edited to add - the truth is you have absolutely no clue about who i am, what I am, my well being in life or anything other than a few snippets you glean from me here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cajun,

I find this incredibly saddening and infuriating at the same time. News of these kind of occurrences never make it to the UK unlike Cecil and the auctions did. There is no programming over here that concentrates on this kind of thing, at best we get anti-poaching relating to Ivory and rhino horn. We do not get shown the horrors of snaring, poisoning etc etc. I think it is high time we were more educated in a well rounded manner with ALL the information we need to decide where we stand, what is best and how to move forward. I suspect, however, this won't happen as to stations just as papers, governments and people in general all have their own agendas.

I believe this and this is what astounds us hunters. All this uproar over an ANCIENT lion who likely would not lived another year regardless of Dr. Palmer. Those of us who have been know the epidemic of meat poaching where FAR more animals are killed daily by snares and gin traps. Often those animals killed are not recovered.

I won't name names here but there is a poster here who was called upon to dispense a decidedly juvenile elephant who had been wounded so severely by poachers that it was not going to make it. What the poacher did to that elephant was horrible. What it did to this person to have to dispense was also bad. It was a horrible thing to see and a horrible thing to have to do. Not an moment of enjoyment or fun in the matter.

Why don't you all go after the people behind the really bad things happening to African wildlife such as ivory and rhino poaching? Cecil was nothing.

I know a guy in Mozambique who is a hunting operator. If you saw the pictures of the gin traps and snares that his anti-poaching people collected last year, you would be absolutely astounded. 1800 gin traps, 8000 snares. This is just what was collected. These efforts funded by hunters saved thousands of animals from a horrible death.

In spite of things like this, you antis want to attack those who are actually protecting the wildlife. To those of us who have been there it is so obvious, yet the antis can't seem to comprehend this simple fact.

I am going to try and get those pictures referred to above and send them to you. It will take a little time.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to go to work now unfortunately but I will address your post fully later this evening. I will say now though that had you read my second article posted at the beginning of this thread I addressed the gin traps and snares.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I highly doubt the above actually, in fact I would say it an outright lie. Have you never asked someone to stop clicking a pen, tapping on a table because it is irritating?
I don't know whether you have kids but if you have have you never asked them to refrain from doing something?

Being gay, being pro abortion, being pro hunting and vice versa are just far bigger, far more emotive dislikes we ask people to refrain from.

This is where I think you are utterly wrong. Your lot let's their emotions rule them. I am talking about legal activities here, not illegal. Poaching for example ticks me off -- it's illegal. Hunting as a legal activity shouldn't be banned because it bothers some. That was the only point I was trying to make with my post.

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn: ...the truth is you have absolutely no clue about who i am, what I am, my well being in life or anything other than a few snippets you glean from me here.
Not true, not true. We know exactly who you are, where you live, what you do, what your political views are, what your likes and dislikes are, etc., etc., etc. You have made sure that we know.
quote:
Jo Louise Burn@JoLouBurn https://twitter.com/jolouburn

Barmaid, freelance writer, avon rep, trainee nail tech & still skint! mummy to 3 gorge fur babies & whiff of Al.

A common characteristic of self-righteous, arrogant, elitist, egotistical, snobs is that they must tout themselves, their views, and the meaningless doings they consider "accomplishments" for all the world to admire and praise. The only thing bigger than their egos is their heads. And that is why a woman in York is so intent on preaching politics, lifestyle, ethics, and morality to people continents away who live differently and in who's lives she has no business. It elevates her in her own mind and gathers accolades from the like minded busybodies she shares her swill with.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes to prove my point!

Prove I am stupid
Prove I'm an idiot
Prove I'm miserable

Your point is pointless.

Edited to add - the truth is you have absolutely no clue about who i am, what I am, my well being in life or anything other than a few snippets you glean from me here.

I could not careless who you are!

You are showing yourself to be one of I have been describing all along.

Why are you not in Africa helping the people you are trying your best to take their livelihood from?

TALK TALK TALK!

That is you lot do, which is not surprising for some with big mouths and no brains!

Try to find something enjoyable to do in your life.

You might actually enjoy it and stop bothering us.

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:
The very action of hunting interferes, the sharing of trophy pictures interferes etc

Ms. Burns, regarding your statement "The very action of hunting interferes, the sharing of trophy pictures interferes, etc.", how does ethical and sustainable hunting "interfere" with your life and where do you encounter these so called "trophy pictures"? Do big game hunters email their "trophy pictures" to your attention in an effort to "interfere" with your life? If so, then you should block their incoming email. Perhaps it's just me, but I am offended by pornographic photos, aborted fetus photos, photos of two guys French kissing, etc. So, I do what any reasonable and prudent person should, I avoid the sites that have a propensity to post these photos. If you are offended by "trophy pictures", then you should avoid the sites that post these photos as well (including social media that use these "trophy pictures" for fund raising purposes). Ms. Burns, if "trophy pictures" are so offensive, why are you a member of AR? Hmm?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I bet she was one of those screamed like hell when some kid took a gold fish and ate it alive on FB!

He was actually visited by the police and I think he was charged with animal cruelty??!!

Those idiots just to be noticed!

It is is the new LOOK AT ME bozos!

No substance to them whatsoever!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet she was one of those screamed like hell when some kid took a gold fish and ate it alive on FB!

Sushi.

Seems fine for Jamie Oliver to throw a live lobster in a pot of scalding water then break its legs one by one and suck out all the juicy bits?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9906 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Ms. Burns, the following verbiage was excerpted from a document entitled "Transforming Protected Areas System Management During Turbulent Times - The Zimbabwe Experience". The author, Mr. Morris Zororai Mtsambiwa, is a former Director General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority. He holds a PhD degree in Renewable Resources Management (Fisheries) and an MBA degree.

Although the document was published in 2003, except for the non-consumptive (eco-tourism) vs. consumptive (sport hunting) tourism percentages, very little has changed in the country of Zimbabwe.

Please note that the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority is required by law to be self funding.

At the time of publication, Zim Park's budget was funded by the following activities:
- hunting 87%
- licenses and permits 5%
- interest receivable 4%
- national park tourism 3%
- sale of game products 1%

So once again, can you and your anti-hunting ilk please provide us with your strategy and/or plans to prevent Zimbabwe from becoming Africa's next Kenya (if ethical and sustainable hunting is banned)? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true!!!!!!!!!!

Transforming Protected Areas System Management During Turbulent Times – The Zimbabwean Experience

- In an effort to reduce fiscal spending, Zimbabwe has dismantled its Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management and replaced it with a new commercialized agency, the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority. The Authority has a mandate to undertake commercial activities for the purpose of financing the management of the protected areas system in Zimbabwe. The sustainable use concept, encompassing both consumptive and non-consumptive uses, and the adoption of adaptive management techniques are the guiding principles for this protected area commercialization.
- Zimbabwe’s protected areas system is comprised of national parks, safari areas, botanical gardens, recreational parks, and sanctuaries covering most of the IUCN categories of protected areas. A broad range of stakeholders have interests in these areas, including the government, researchers, wildlife enthusiasts, hunters, safari operators and others.
- Until recently, as stated above, the protected areas system of Zimbabwe was funded by the Central Treasury for both recurrent and capital budgets. However, all that has changed. In line with the World Bank’s prescription of the Economic Structural Adjustment Programme (ESAP)
to reduce government spending, the Government of Zimbabwe identified the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management as one of those departments with a capacity to generate revenue and which could become self sufficient if commercialized, thereby reducing government
spending. Through an amendment to the Parks and Wildlife Act (1975), the government set up the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (“the Authority”) with a mandate to generate conservation funds to finance Zimbabwe’s conservation efforts. The Authority became operational in June 2002 with the appointment of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority Board of Directors.
- The Authority, by virtue of being a government agency occupying 13.1% of the country’s land surface area and also being custodian of Zimbabwe’s valuable wildlife heritage, has to remain the regulator of all wildlife-based commercial activities. At the same time, it must compete with other operators in those same activities. While commercial companies do not favor this arrangement they are fully aware that the government is no longer funding the Authority and that conservation in Zimbabwe has to pay for itself through commercialization since the country also no longer receives any donor funding.
- Politically, for the last three years Zimbabwe has been pursuing an aggressive agrarian land reform programme in which thousands of poor, rural, landless people have been resettled on what was formerly commercial farmland. During this time, Zimbabwe has been perceived as an extremely violent country whose rule of law has broken down, and this perception has resulted in a dramatic decline in tourist visitation. In addition to tourism tumbling down, international donors have also abandoned many projects they had been supporting, including those supporting Zimbabwe’s conservation efforts.
- During the early years of Zimbabwe’s independence, the country experienced a boom in tourism, with arrivals increasing annually by an average of 10%. This tremendous growth led to a shift from crop production to wildlife ranching by a lot of commercial farmers. However, following the emergence of Zimbabwe’s sometimes-violent fast track land reform program, Zimbabwe has been perceived as an unsafe tourist destination, to the extent that tourist visitations dropped tremendously. The once thriving non-consumptive tourism (eco-tourism) industry collapsed almost immediately, but consumptive tourism has been curtailed, rather than collapsed. To date it remains the cash cow for the Authority, sometimes generating up to 92% of the organization’s revenue, with eco-tourism generating about 5%.
- Zimbabwe, like most southern African countries, faces a looming ecological disaster arising from an overabundant African elephant (Loxodonta africana) population. The results of the last aerial survey undertaken in conjunction with WWF and IUCN estimated this elephant population to be at 89,000 animals, in a country with a carrying capacity of 40,000 to 45,000 animals. Moreover, this population is growing at an average of 5% annually. Every day an elephant consumes an average of 200 kg. of vegetation and drinks about 200 liters of water. In addition to this problem, animal-human conflict is on the increase.
- Commercialization implies that the Authority now has a mandate to generate revenue and retain that revenue for the purposes of paying for conservation. At the moment the Authority is looking at ways to generate revenue from both consumptive and non-consumptive uses. The
main consumptive use is safari hunting, which generates revenue via the sale of hunting concessions and the payment of trophy fees. The sale of live animals and animal products, such as skins and bush meat, will also be undertaken. Non-consumptive use revenue will be generated mainly through accommodation sales at the Authority’s lodges and chalets in the parks estate and through fees for park entry, camping,
picnicking, game viewing, canoeing, and horseback riding. The Authority is also generating revenue through charging for services rendered, especially by its scientific and technical services division. The fall in tourism following perceptions that Zimbabwe is an unsafe country due to political instability was a wake-up.
- In order to succeed, organizations must constantly survey their environment to quickly identify risks and put in place strategies to reduce negative impacts of those risks. The Authority has to look out for risks that increase the rate of biodiversity loss. At the moment the elephant population, at 89,000 animals, poses the greatest risk to biodiversity and ecosystem integrity. The need to reduce the population to manageable levels is of utmost urgency. Globally, culling is not considered an acceptable management tool, and yet culling is absolutely necessary to reduce populations. Other methods to reduce the elephant population would involve the sale of elephants to neighboring countries, but with the exception of Mozambique, Zambia and Angola, the problem of excess elephants is common in Southern Africa. Zimbabwe has a CITES hunting quota of 400 animals, which is too low to significantly reduce the population. This means that
Zimbabwe, like other countries in the region, has to bring to the fore renewed debate on the appropriateness of culling as a management measure call to the Authority that it cannot rely exclusively on a single source of revenue.
- Other risks to conservation funding may arise from the banning of European and American citizens from hunting in Zimbabwe. American and European hunters constitute the largest numbers of foreign hunters in Zimbabwe. However, due to poor relations between these countries and Zimbabwe, America and some European countries are threatening to impose a ban on importation of trophies from Zimbabwe, thereby discouraging their citizens from hunting here. Hunting, as shown above, is the cash cow for the Authority at the moment and any attempt to discourage hunting in Zimbabwe would impact negatively on Zimbabwe’s efforts to self finance its conservation programs. However, there are risks that are beyond the control of the Authority, such as the recent fast track land reform programme that soured Zimbabwe’s relations with the United Kingdom, the former colonizer, which in turn led directly to a drop in tourist visitations to Zimbabwe.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This is where I think you are utterly wrong. Your lot let's their emotions rule them. I am talking about legal activities here, not illegal. Poaching for example ticks me off -- it's illegal. Hunting as a legal activity shouldn't be banned because it bothers some. That was the only point I was trying to make with my post.

Why am I wrong? It is perfectly legal for a child to misbehave or a person to click a pen but I'll bet you have still asked someone to refrain from doing them. It is also an emotional reaction that will cause you to do so.

I agree that hunting should not be banned just because it irritates or bothers someone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn: ...the truth is you have absolutely no clue about who i am, what I am, my well being in life or anything other than a few snippets you glean from me here.
Not true, not true. We know exactly who you are, where you live, what you do, what your political views are, what your likes and dislikes are, etc., etc., etc. You have made sure that we know.
quote:

Barmaid, freelance writer, avon rep, trainee nail tech & still skint! mummy to 3 gorge fur babies & whiff of Al.

A common characteristic of self-righteous, arrogant, elitist, egotistical, snobs is that they must tout themselves, their views, and the meaningless doings they consider "accomplishments" for all the world to admire and praise. The only thing bigger than their egos is their heads. And that is why a woman in York is so intent on preaching politics, lifestyle, ethics, and morality to people continents away who live differently and in who's lives she has no business. It elevates her in her own mind and gathers accolades from the like minded busybodies she shares her swill with.

Right back at you. You describe many hunters I have conversed with as well as anti-hunters. :-)

As for making sure you know me. I have never discussed my accomplishments nor my political beliefs. I do not live in York, York is just the nearest city to me. So please you don't know squat about me from discussing hunting here and a Twitter account where I do not give away anything personal or important.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Goes to prove my point!

Prove I am stupid
Prove I'm an idiot
Prove I'm miserable

Your point is pointless.

I could not careless who you are!

You are showing yourself to be one of I have been describing all along.

Why are you not in Africa helping the people you are trying your best to take their livelihood from?

TALK TALK TALK!

That is you lot do, which is not surprising for some with big mouths and no brains!

Try to find something enjoyable to do in your life.

You might actually enjoy it and stop bothering us.

Oh Saeed, please you're making a fool of yourself. You have incessantly talked about who I am for nearly two years and you expect anyone to believe you don't care!!

I'm not in Africa for the same reasons as you, I don't live there. However unlike you I can't afford to go there very often either. I have done what I can whilst there though. Let me ask you, what do you do whilst out there for conservation that is not directly related to hunting? Do you go to villages and help build wells and schools? Do you go out for a day to help remove snares and traps? I'm not being facetious or disrespectful, just generally curious what the man who berates me for not contributing does. Oh, actually, why did I even bother asking, you have never ever answered a question posed to you in two years, why would you start now!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
quote:
The very action of hunting interferes, the sharing of trophy pictures interferes etc

Ms. Burns, regarding your statement "The very action of hunting interferes, the sharing of trophy pictures interferes, etc.", how does ethical and sustainable hunting "interfere" with your life and where do you encounter these so called "trophy pictures"? Do big game hunters email their "trophy pictures" to your attention in an effort to "interfere" with your life? If so, then you should block their incoming email. Perhaps it's just me, but I am offended by pornographic photos, aborted fetus photos, photos of two guys French kissing, etc. So, I do what any reasonable and prudent person should, I avoid the sites that have a propensity to post these photos. If you are offended by "trophy pictures", then you should avoid the sites that post these photos as well (including social media that use these "trophy pictures" for fund raising purposes). Ms. Burns, if "trophy pictures" are so offensive, why are you a member of AR? Hmm?

Anti-hunters as you know believe that many species of animal are over hunted by you and will become extinct. This means that they as photo safaris clients will no be able to enjoy them when they visit. This in turn is interference in their life of photo safari and also interference in that it upsets them. The pics are everywhere and have pretty much the same reaction the hunting itself does. I haven't really seen many trophy pics here if I'm honest. I don't go to the trophy room pic section.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cajun,

I believe this and this is what astounds us hunters. All this uproar over an ANCIENT lion who likely would not lived another year regardless of Dr. Palmer. Those of us who have been know the epidemic of meat poaching where FAR more animals are killed daily by snares and gin traps. Often those animals killed are not recovered.

I won't name names here but there is a poster here who was called upon to dispense a decidedly juvenile elephant who had been wounded so severely by poachers that it was not going to make it. What the poacher did to that elephant was horrible. What it did to this person to have to dispense was also bad. It was a horrible thing to see and a horrible thing to have to do. Not an moment of enjoyment or fun in the matter.

Why don't you all go after the people behind the really bad things happening to African wildlife such as ivory and rhino poaching? Cecil was nothing.

I know a guy in Mozambique who is a hunting operator. If you saw the pictures of the gin traps and snares that his anti-poaching people collected last year, you would be absolutely astounded. 1800 gin traps, 8000 snares. This is just what was collected. These efforts funded by hunters saved thousands of animals from a horrible death.

In spite of things like this, you antis want to attack those who are actually protecting the wildlife. To those of us who have been there it is so obvious, yet the antis can't seem to comprehend this simple fact.

I am going to try and get those pictures referred to above and send them to you. It will take a little time.

Again this is a case of limited information being placed into the public domain which supports or even informs people about hunting as a conservation tool. Most antis as I have stated previously don't even differentiate between poacher and hunter.
Now the lack of info out there is a discussion I have also had here before. I don't feel hunters as a community do enough to get their points across and therefore do not have much right to complain. You may feel you should not have to justify hunting as a conservation tool but unless you do the tide opinion will never turn. You can say what you like about the anti hunting community but they are very good at getting their message out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cajun1956:
Ms. Burns, the following verbiage was excerpted from a document entitled "Transforming Protected Areas System Management During Turbulent Times - The Zimbabwe Experience". The author, Mr. Morris Zororai Mtsambiwa, is a former Director General of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority. He holds a PhD degree in Renewable Resources Management (Fisheries) and an MBA degree.

Although the document was published in 2003, except for the non-consumptive (eco-tourism) vs. consumptive (sport hunting) tourism percentages, very little has changed in the country of Zimbabwe.

Please note that the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority is required by law to be self funding.

At the time of publication, Zim Park's budget was funded by the following activities:
- hunting 87%
- licenses and permits 5%
- interest receivable 4%
- national park tourism 3%
- sale of game products 1%

So once again, can you and your anti-hunting ilk please provide us with your strategy and/or plans to prevent Zimbabwe from becoming Africa's next Kenya (if ethical and sustainable hunting is banned)? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true!!!!!!!!!!

Transforming Protected Areas System Management During Turbulent Times – The Zimbabwean Experience

- In an effort to reduce fiscal spending, Zimbabwe has dismantled its Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management and replaced it with a new commercialized agency, the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority. The Authority has a mandate to undertake commercial activities for the purpose of financing the management of the protected areas system in Zimbabwe. The sustainable use concept, encompassing both consumptive and non-consumptive uses, and the adoption of adaptive management techniques are the guiding principles for this protected area commercialization.
- Zimbabwe’s protected areas system is comprised of national parks, safari areas, botanical gardens, recreational parks, and sanctuaries covering most of the IUCN categories of protected areas. A broad range of stakeholders have interests in these areas, including the government, researchers, wildlife enthusiasts, hunters, safari operators and others.
- Until recently, as stated above, the protected areas system of Zimbabwe was funded by the Central Treasury for both recurrent and capital budgets. However, all that has changed. In line with the World Bank’s prescription of the Economic Structural Adjustment Programme (ESAP)
to reduce government spending, the Government of Zimbabwe identified the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management as one of those departments with a capacity to generate revenue and which could become self sufficient if commercialized, thereby reducing government
spending. Through an amendment to the Parks and Wildlife Act (1975), the government set up the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (“the Authority”) with a mandate to generate conservation funds to finance Zimbabwe’s conservation efforts. The Authority became operational in June 2002 with the appointment of the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority Board of Directors.
- The Authority, by virtue of being a government agency occupying 13.1% of the country’s land surface area and also being custodian of Zimbabwe’s valuable wildlife heritage, has to remain the regulator of all wildlife-based commercial activities. At the same time, it must compete with other operators in those same activities. While commercial companies do not favor this arrangement they are fully aware that the government is no longer funding the Authority and that conservation in Zimbabwe has to pay for itself through commercialization since the country also no longer receives any donor funding.
- Politically, for the last three years Zimbabwe has been pursuing an aggressive agrarian land reform programme in which thousands of poor, rural, landless people have been resettled on what was formerly commercial farmland. During this time, Zimbabwe has been perceived as an extremely violent country whose rule of law has broken down, and this perception has resulted in a dramatic decline in tourist visitation. In addition to tourism tumbling down, international donors have also abandoned many projects they had been supporting, including those supporting Zimbabwe’s conservation efforts.
- During the early years of Zimbabwe’s independence, the country experienced a boom in tourism, with arrivals increasing annually by an average of 10%. This tremendous growth led to a shift from crop production to wildlife ranching by a lot of commercial farmers. However, following the emergence of Zimbabwe’s sometimes-violent fast track land reform program, Zimbabwe has been perceived as an unsafe tourist destination, to the extent that tourist visitations dropped tremendously. The once thriving non-consumptive tourism (eco-tourism) industry collapsed almost immediately, but consumptive tourism has been curtailed, rather than collapsed. To date it remains the cash cow for the Authority, sometimes generating up to 92% of the organization’s revenue, with eco-tourism generating about 5%.
- Zimbabwe, like most southern African countries, faces a looming ecological disaster arising from an overabundant African elephant (Loxodonta africana) population. The results of the last aerial survey undertaken in conjunction with WWF and IUCN estimated this elephant population to be at 89,000 animals, in a country with a carrying capacity of 40,000 to 45,000 animals. Moreover, this population is growing at an average of 5% annually. Every day an elephant consumes an average of 200 kg. of vegetation and drinks about 200 liters of water. In addition to this problem, animal-human conflict is on the increase.
- Commercialization implies that the Authority now has a mandate to generate revenue and retain that revenue for the purposes of paying for conservation. At the moment the Authority is looking at ways to generate revenue from both consumptive and non-consumptive uses. The
main consumptive use is safari hunting, which generates revenue via the sale of hunting concessions and the payment of trophy fees. The sale of live animals and animal products, such as skins and bush meat, will also be undertaken. Non-consumptive use revenue will be generated mainly through accommodation sales at the Authority’s lodges and chalets in the parks estate and through fees for park entry, camping,
picnicking, game viewing, canoeing, and horseback riding. The Authority is also generating revenue through charging for services rendered, especially by its scientific and technical services division. The fall in tourism following perceptions that Zimbabwe is an unsafe country due to political instability was a wake-up.
- In order to succeed, organizations must constantly survey their environment to quickly identify risks and put in place strategies to reduce negative impacts of those risks. The Authority has to look out for risks that increase the rate of biodiversity loss. At the moment the elephant population, at 89,000 animals, poses the greatest risk to biodiversity and ecosystem integrity. The need to reduce the population to manageable levels is of utmost urgency. Globally, culling is not considered an acceptable management tool, and yet culling is absolutely necessary to reduce populations. Other methods to reduce the elephant population would involve the sale of elephants to neighboring countries, but with the exception of Mozambique, Zambia and Angola, the problem of excess elephants is common in Southern Africa. Zimbabwe has a CITES hunting quota of 400 animals, which is too low to significantly reduce the population. This means that
Zimbabwe, like other countries in the region, has to bring to the fore renewed debate on the appropriateness of culling as a management measure call to the Authority that it cannot rely exclusively on a single source of revenue.
- Other risks to conservation funding may arise from the banning of European and American citizens from hunting in Zimbabwe. American and European hunters constitute the largest numbers of foreign hunters in Zimbabwe. However, due to poor relations between these countries and Zimbabwe, America and some European countries are threatening to impose a ban on importation of trophies from Zimbabwe, thereby discouraging their citizens from hunting here. Hunting, as shown above, is the cash cow for the Authority at the moment and any attempt to discourage hunting in Zimbabwe would impact negatively on Zimbabwe’s efforts to self finance its conservation programs. However, there are risks that are beyond the control of the Authority, such as the recent fast track land reform programme that soured Zimbabwe’s relations with the United Kingdom, the former colonizer, which in turn led directly to a drop in tourist visitations to Zimbabwe.

Now here's the rub. I don't believe the anti hunting orgs out there campaigning have a game plan further ahead than ending hunting. I don't honestly know what the solution is if hunting is not part of it. Your very question is honestly what made me take a lot closer look at hunting as a conservation tool and what would happen should hunting be stopped.

I would be very happy if my wish were to come true as my wish would be for all animals to be safe and protected from extinction be that with hunting being in place or not. Whatever is best for the animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He was actually visited by the police and I think he was charged with animal cruelty??!!

Those idiots just to be noticed!

It is is the new LOOK AT ME bozos!

No substance to them whatsoever!

I have not heard of the story you quote here but would be very surprised and shocked to find they had been found guilty of animal abuse for a stupid childhood antic.

Mind you saying that it has been proven that many psychopaths start out life displaying this kind of behaviour along with other traits such as lack of empathy, God complex etc etc. ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where the post went that referred to me as a bitch but honestly if you thought I would take that as an insult, you're wrong. It's actually quite the compliment.

I think it was the same post that said you can tell what is most important to a person by how they start a bio. In this case id say absolutely, I mention my dogs and husband who are my family. Family is the most important thing in my life as it is for many people. So again if this was meant to be an insult, you were way off base.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right back at you. You describe many hunters I have conversed with as well as anti-hunters. :-)
So, hunters put their postings in the forums and websites you and your friends frequent, disrupt the discussions, post insults and challenges to your lifestyle, try to raise money and "political awareness" to stop your hobbies and change your behavior, and try to convince you to become a meat eater and hunter?
I seriously doubt that. animal

Regarding your Twitter account: You are incorrect. You have considerable information on there about yourself, lifestyle, relationships, ect., including considerable material indicating your views. And Twitter isn't the only place you have an account and post such things. So, yes, we know exactly who you are, what you believe, what views you support, etc., etc., etc.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Cajun,

Again this is a case of limited information being placed into the public domain which supports or even informs people about hunting as a conservation tool. Most antis as I have stated previously don't even differentiate between poacher and hunter.
Now the lack of info out there is a discussion I have also had here before. I don't feel hunters as a community do enough to get their points across and therefore do not have much right to complain. You may feel you should not have to justify hunting as a conservation tool but unless you do the tide opinion will never turn. You can say what you like about the anti hunting community but they are very good at getting their message out there.

I agree with you on those points.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
quote:

Considering you put and I quote:-

Yes absolutely right back at you.

The diatribe you chose to put into your response was nowhere in sight in your original post.