THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    USFWS to declare status of Arican lions on 12/28
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USFWS to declare status of Arican lions on 12/28
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northtexas12:
So what are the big hunting organizations going to do to fight this? File lawsuits and hope the judges agree with us and rule in our favor? That didn't work with the polar bear. What other options do we have to fight this? Raise hell with our politicians until they put the heat on USFWS to drop these new regulations?

A good start would be to vote in a friendly administration and then find someone rich enough to buy all the "progressive" media outlets, fire everyone, and actually return to responsible journalism.

THEN I WOKE UP!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Pray . . . and light prayer candles . . . that the NRA will join the fight full force. If you are not already a life or endowment member of the NRA, now is the time to become one.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? The Obama administration will leave no stone unturned in seeing if you have the smallest hunting infraction so as to deny a lion importation permit.

Meanwhile, back at US Customs, let's not be too hard on letting would be terrorists into the country.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Pray . . . and light prayer candles . . . that the NRA will join the fight full force. If you are not already a life or endowment member of the NRA, now is the time to become one.

Or...

...vote in a President who's own sons safari hunt!

As the USF&WS is under total executive control!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . some things are even more important than hunting. Having a competent President at this point in history falls into that category. Frowner

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . some things are even more important than hunting. Having a competent President at this point in history falls into that category. Frowner

You mean like Obama or Hillary???

Surely even your Trump hating self thinks Donald superior to them! No?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There are other forums for that discussion, not going to drag this thread into that hole. If you want to, have at it.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are other forums for that discussion, not going to drag this thread into that hole. If you want to, have at it.

quote:
From today's hunting report

...... a wildlife violation in an individual's history may subsequently result in being barred from importing any trophy into the US. It is unclear how serious the wildlife violation must be. The press release states that, "[This] order, which aligns with President Obama's National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking, will ensure that violators of wildlife laws are not subsequently granted permits for future wildlife-related activities, including the import of sport-hunted trophies."

Seems relevant to me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Well Bubye is a fenced area, and for sure they eat alot. To compare bvc with a wild area is not fair.

I think it will be hard for let say a Tanz ph to see that a class animals are missing from the heards of antelopes, thats nature.

The reality is american hunters just got taken of the list than can legally hunt wild lions. France and Australia has already done that. I am pretty sure the anti-lion hunting crowd will have most of the eu adopting French or US rules.

So wild lion hunting is Russians, Arabs and rest of the world.

Lets see how wild lion prices and hunts sold line up.

This cannot be good for wild lions.

Mike

Mike - That's not true! The legal hunting of a lion in Tanzania for example, by an American is not effected - only possible importation into the USA. You can still hunt them as normal, based on local rules/laws.

Yes, I agree with Mike and others - the guidelines for which one will be issued an import permit is likely going to be very difficult to say the least.

Over 60% of ALL lions exported from the continent of Africa are bound each year for the USA. The change here is likely big! I received an email from, and emailed back to JJ today asking for a clear / easy to understand interpretation from his perspective and what he really expects to happen? Waiting on that now.

Yes Anton, this will effect the lion monstrously! The inuits in the arctic are not interested in eliminating everything that moves, including the polar bear - unlike the natives in Africa. Especially when the lion has no real value to them, which is coming my friend. Comparing how the polar bear has faired versus this effect on the lion are night/day difference. I've been to where they are polar bears a couple of times, never saw another sole within 100 miles. Not the case in Africa, as you know.

Africa as a whole is the sinking TITANIC, period!!! The game will be the ultimate loser, and folks like all of us here will be asked someday to recount our experiences in books / videos, as most of the once rich game fields will ALL be gone (save a few of the popular national parks)

I'm glad to say I've done 35 DG safaris in Africa, but I hate to say it - I'm sure 35 more will never happen. The lion has been my passion for 20 years now, I'm very saddened to see what's sure to be his eventual continent wide demise as these changes continue to progress!!! Frowner

Aaron

Very few people pay $150K to shoot a lion on which they cannot bring back trophies.

Elephant replica tusk are easier than replica lion trophies.

I know of only one person who has ever left a lion trophy behind and came home with pictures. It is an AR member who hunted in Burkina.

May be perfectly legal to hunt lions as it is perfectly legal to hunt cheetahs for US citizen. Very few people shoots cheetahs and very few cheetah hunts are sold in US. Plus a cheetah hunt does not cost $125K.

This will have a real impact on US trophy hunters. Beyond a certain dollar point - trophies start to matter in the hunting business.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This effectively kills lion hunting for US citizens. Sure if you want to pay $125K and leave your skin behind and take just pictures you can do that.

But how many hunters will take the risk of paying for a $125K lion hunt, killing a lion and then subjecting their trophies to a complex administrative process to import.

Thanks to Cecil and Dr. Palmer, the Obama administration had the policy and public policy support to backdoor this in. This is much more difficult to change than if just a law was enacted. What this rule does is put lions into a scientific framework that is part of a much larger body of USFW rules. This is very difficult to legally challenge.

Also hoping a Trump would get elected and force a change to lion or elephant policy is wishful thinking. To change these rules the entire administrative framework has to be changed. Otherwise you will have inconsistent laws - one frame work for everything USFW does and lions and elephants excluded. Very unlikely that ever happens.

Why the approach of Obama administration is so anti-hunting. It does not directly prohibit the activity - a simple law than can be repealed. It subjects it to a complex permit process or temporary ban whose repeal is dependent on providing scientific data that few african governments will be able to provide.

We have gotten brilliantly played by an anti-hunting Obama administration. Cecil provided the public outcry and cover. This is why we (hunters) need to be proactive - time for less trophies and awards and more scientific data and economic/public policy/cost-benefit data.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Director's statement...

"The Service found that sport-hunting, if well managed, may provide a benefit to the subspecies. Well-managed conservation programs use trophy hunting revenues to sustain lion conservation, research and anti-poaching activities. However, the Service found that not all trophy hunting programs are scientifically based or managed in a sustainable way. So in addition to protecting both lion subspecies under the ESA, we created a permitting mechanism to support and strengthen the accountability of conservation programs in other nations. This rule will allow for the importation of the threatened Panthera leo melanochaita, including sport-hunted trophies, from countries with established conservation programs and well-managed lion populations."

So where does this leave Zambia?

Jim,

We initiated a 3 year ban and the word is that quotas will be reduced by some 60%.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Director's statement...

"The Service found that sport-hunting, if well managed, may provide a benefit to the subspecies. Well-managed conservation programs use trophy hunting revenues to sustain lion conservation, research and anti-poaching activities. However, the Service found that not all trophy hunting programs are scientifically based or managed in a sustainable way. So in addition to protecting both lion subspecies under the ESA, we created a permitting mechanism to support and strengthen the accountability of conservation programs in other nations. This rule will allow for the importation of the threatened Panthera leo melanochaita, including sport-hunted trophies, from countries with established conservation programs and well-managed lion populations."

Jim,

We initiated a 3 year ban and the word is that quotas will be reduced by some 60%.

Andrew,

All well and good but I suspect the "fine print" of this verbiage from FWS is going to empower them to make decisions country to country as they have with the Elephant. Then they will want piles of documents showing counts all the while using statement from folks like Dr. Kat that there are only 40 Lions left in Zambia as their excuse to call a non-enhancement finding and ask for more studies.

Good luck Mate
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Director's statement...

Jim,

Andrew,

All well and good but I suspect the "fine print" of this verbiage from FWS is going to empower them to make decisions country to country as they have with the Elephant. Then they will want piles of documents showing counts all the while using statement from folks like Dr. Kat that there are only 40 Lions left in Zambia as their excuse to call a non-enhancement finding and ask for more studies.

Good luck Mate
Jim

USFWS are somehow under the impression that there decisions will curb Lion hunting. However the fact is that your dollars have paid for the conservation and preservation of vast tracts of land in Africa. Without this income it will become increasingly difficult to protect our natural resources.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the price of Lion bones is these days?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also hoping a Trump would get elected and force a change to lion or elephant policy is wishful thinking. To change these rules the entire administrative framework has to be changed. Otherwise you will have inconsistent laws - one frame work for everything USFW does and lions and elephants excluded. Very unlikely that ever happens.

Mike,
USF&w is an executive branch agency und the Secretary of Interior which is a Presidential Cabinet position. Whom better to straighten this broken agency out than Don Trump..."your fired!"

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra: "It ain't over...til is over."

Don't be such a defeatist! Maybe you should spend more time in Texas around Texans.

quote:
A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.8 – Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

Aaron and I told all that this fight was coming beginning in 2010.

As Wyatt Earp told Ike Clanton..."get in the fight or get away!"

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best bet is a pro-hunting president taking office this next election. (Trump, Cruz, ??) No way is anyone from the US going to be able to feasibly hunt lion in 2016. How long will it take for countries to prepare their surveys and management plans and then have USFWS approve or disapprove the plan. For now it look likes 2016 lion hunting is a bust unless their is a chance of a restraining order being imposed on USFWS.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
There is an article on p. 1 of the 12/21 New York Times which states that on 12/28/15 USFWS will declare lions in central and west Africa to be endangered and those in east and south Africa (Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and RSA) to be threatened. Report states that only 900 lions are left in central and west Africa.

Let the experts ( I am not one.) comment.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/...on_FL_FAQs_Final.pdf

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=748

USFWS Announces Listing of Lion under Endangered Species Act

(posted December 21, 2015)

US Fish and Wildlife has announced it will uplist some lion populations as endangered and others as threatened under the US Endangered Species Act. That is according to a press release (http://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/lion.html) issued this morning (December 21). Panthera leo leo, located in India, western and central Africa, will be listed as endangered, and Panthera leo melanochaita, from eastern and southern Africa, will be listed as threatened.

The decision to uplist lion to threatened status has been anticipated for some time. What was not expected was the distinction drawn between lions from West and Central Africa and India and those from East and South Africa. To our knowledge, no lion hunting occurs in India.

Conservation Force's John J. Jackson III offered this immediate assessment and advice for hunters:

"This appears to be what was expected, with the twist that West and Central Africa will be treated as a 'distinct population segment' and listed as endangered, so there's no real hope of ever importing.

"Hunters with lion trophies from any region of Africa, are advised to complete import (entry into a US port) before January 22. If your trophy is at a taxidermist, have him stop the taxidermy work and ship as-is. Remember to choose an airline that accepts trophies."

In our January issue, Gideon Visser of Safari Cargo Systems indicated he still had avenues available for shipping lion trophies by air to the US and Europe. We suggest you consider using this resource if you still have a lion in Africa. Time is of the essence.

As subscribers have been forewarned, importing any lion trophy from the threatened population will now involve securing special import permits from the USFWS. According to the press release, "The Service is also finalizing a rule under section 4(d) of the ESA to establish a permitting mechanism regulating the import of all P. l. melanochaita parts and products. The process will ensure that imported specimens are legally obtained in range countries as part of a scientifically sound management program that benefits the subspecies in the wild." While it is too soon to know what the permits will require, they may be similar to those permits required for elephant imports from Tanzania. In order for permits to be issued, it is expected that range states will be required to provide the USFWS with more comprehensive data on lion population trends, as well as proof that lion offtake is sustainable.

As for the African lion populations listed as endangered, it is possible that USFWS could issue permits under special circumstances, provided that hunting is shown to benefit lions in a particular subpopulation. This will require an "enhancement finding" before permits are issued, like those findings currently required for the import of markhor and other species. As we know, this means a great deal of research and an involved legal process.

We expect further clarification on new regulations and permits that will accompany the listing of lion, and both Conservation Force and The Hunting Report will be following up with USFWS. Stay tuned for more information as the situation develops.

Obviously, this news will have a major effect on bookings during the upcoming show season, and we will be getting a better sense of the reaction in Africa soon.

At USFWS, Service Director Dan Ashe stated that, "Sustainable trophy hunting as part of a well-managed conservation program can and does contribute to the survival of the species in the wild, providing real incentives to oppose poaching and conserve lion populations. Implementing a permit requirement will give us the authority we need to work with African countries to help them improve their lion management programs." We sincerely hope the permit requirement will not have the opposite effect of impeding the efforts of range nations to protect their lions, as may be realistically expected.

There is another troublesome bit of information in the press release, which indicates that a wildlife violation in an individual's history may subsequently result in being barred from importing any trophy into the US. It is unclear how serious the wildlife violation must be. The press release states that, "[This] order, which aligns with President Obama's National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking, will ensure that violators of wildlife laws are not subsequently granted permits for future wildlife-related activities, including the import of sport-hunted trophies."

We are deeply concerned that those with minor wildlife violations may find themselves in a major jam, and will be actively seeking clarification on this matter.

In the meantime, you can read the full text of the December 21 USFWS Press Release along with pre-release version of the what they will post to the Federal Registry and a video message by FWS Director Dan Ashe all by going to http://www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/lion.html. -- Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...NPk&feature=youtu.be

Approximately four minute video by USFWS concerning the listing of lions.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a F... face.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Somebody please wake me up?
You talking about $ 100,000.00 lion.
What about the cheaper hunts?
Nobody will spend even twenty G for lion that cannot be brought back
Very unfortunate that our own USFWA is stacked up against hunters.
What a mess

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Well Bubye is a fenced area, and for sure they eat alot. To compare bvc with a wild area is not fair.

I think it will be hard for let say a Tanz ph to see that a class animals are missing from the heards of antelopes, thats nature.

The reality is american hunters just got taken of the list than can legally hunt wild lions. France and Australia has already done that. I am pretty sure the anti-lion hunting crowd will have most of the eu adopting French or US rules.

So wild lion hunting is Russians, Arabs and rest of the world.

Lets see how wild lion prices and hunts sold line up.

This cannot be good for wild lions.

Mike

Mike - That's not true! The legal hunting of a lion in Tanzania for example, by an American is not effected - only possible importation into the USA. You can still hunt them as normal, based on local rules/laws.

Yes, I agree with Mike and others - the guidelines for which one will be issued an import permit is likely going to be very difficult to say the least.

Over 60% of ALL lions exported from the continent of Africa are bound each year for the USA. The change here is likely big! I received an email from, and emailed back to JJ today asking for a clear / easy to understand interpretation from his perspective and what he really expects to happen? Waiting on that now.

Yes Anton, this will effect the lion monstrously! The inuits in the arctic are not interested in eliminating everything that moves, including the polar bear - unlike the natives in Africa. Especially when the lion has no real value to them, which is coming my friend. Comparing how the polar bear has faired versus this effect on the lion are night/day difference. I've been to where they are polar bears a couple of times, never saw another sole within 100 miles. Not the case in Africa, as you know.

Africa as a whole is the sinking TITANIC, period!!! The game will be the ultimate loser, and folks like all of us here will be asked someday to recount our experiences in books / videos, as most of the once rich game fields will ALL be gone (save a few of the popular national parks)

I'm glad to say I've done 35 DG safaris in Africa, but I hate to say it - I'm sure 35 more will never happen. The lion has been my passion for 20 years now, I'm very saddened to see what's sure to be his eventual continent wide demise as these changes continue to progress!!! Frowner

Aaron

Very few people pay $150K to shoot a lion on which they cannot bring back trophies.

Elephant replica tusk are easier than replica lion trophies.

I know of only one person who has ever left a lion trophy behind and came home with pictures. It is an AR member who hunted in Burkina.

May be perfectly legal to hunt lions as it is perfectly legal to hunt cheetahs for US citizen. Very few people shoots cheetahs and very few cheetah hunts are sold in US. Plus a cheetah hunt does not cost $125K.

This will have a real impact on US trophy hunters. Beyond a certain dollar point - trophies start to matter in the hunting business.

Mike

Yes of course, all that is true - I totally agree with you. But it is important to point out the exact facts, that was my point!

All of this is simply a damn shame.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Northtexas12:
So what are the big hunting organizations going to do to fight this? File lawsuits and hope the judges agree with us and rule in our favor? That didn't work with the polar bear. What other options do we have to fight this? Raise hell with our politicians until they put the heat on USFWS to drop these new regulations?

A good start would be to vote in a friendly administration and then find someone rich enough to buy all the "progressive" media outlets, fire everyone, and actually return to responsible journalism.

THEN I WOKE UP!!

We are doomed if another Dem. wins the white house. I know some very powerful people who want a new Fish & Wildlife director that is friendly to hunters. They are doing all in there power to see this happens, but we got to win the White House...

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MY Concern is what about lions already hunted?? how in the hell can they expect somebody to export A lion into the USA before January 22, hell THAT IS 3 WEEKS away?!!!!

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This effectively kills lion hunting for US citizens. Sure if you want to pay $125K and leave your skin behind and take just pictures you can do that.

But how many hunters will take the risk of paying for a $125K lion hunt, killing a lion and then subjecting their trophies to a complex administrative process to import.

Mike

This kind of thinking seems common with people who "trophy hunt". Which IMO is one of the things wrong with our message. Do we hunt to fill up a trophy room? Or do we do it because we enjoying hunting and traveling to far away places and experiencing new things. If not having a stuffed lion in your den is going to stop you from traveling to Africa to experience the hunt of one. Then maybe you aren't really a hunter. Maybe your just a collector. Of course the reasons behind stopping lion imports are ridiculous but that shouldn't stop anyone from hunting one....

I'll be hunting in Tanzania and Mozambique in the next two years. If anyone is hard up for animals to show off in your trophy room let me know. You can have mine.. .

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:

Mike

This kind of thinking seems common with people who "trophy hunt". Which IMO is one of the things wrong with our message. Do we hunt to fill up a trophy room? Or do we do it because we enjoying hunting and traveling to far away places and experiencing new things. If not having a stuffed lion in your den is going to stop you from traveling to Africa to experience the hunt of one. Then maybe you aren't really a hunter. Maybe your just a collector. Of course the reasons behind stopping lion imports are ridiculous but that shouldn't stop anyone from hunting one....

I'll be hunting in Tanzania and Mozambique in the next two years. If anyone is hard up for animals to show off in your trophy room let me know. You can have mine.. .

How many lions or leopards have you left behind in Africa ?

I have minimal taxidermy and don't plan to bring anything in going forward. It's cheaper buying artificial Europeans at restoration hardware.

I did bring in my lion from Burkina and will have it mounted and left at my taxidermist showroom.

But I will bet that not too many people paying $125k to hunt lion only to take a picture.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

I have minimal taxidermy and don't plan to bring anything in going forward. It's cheaper buying artificial Europeans at restoration hardware.

I did bring in my lion from Burkina and will have it mounted and left at my taxidermist showroom.

But I will bet that not too many people paying $125k to hunt lion only to take a picture.

Mike

To answer your question.... If I'm lucky enough next year during my hunt. One of each

And if a hunter is spending a 125k to fill up a trophy room then he simply has a different mindset than I do. I'm not saying you or anyone else shouldn't import your trophies if that's what makes you happy but if that is what stops you from hunting those animals than you're probably hunting for the wrong reasons.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just did a quick count of how many animals I've left in Africa and it's well over 60. Including buff, sable, and a plethora of PG animals from 3 hunts... It's not for everyone. I understand that people really like their mounts. I'm simply saying import or not shouldn't stop someone from enjoying and experiencing a safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike

To answer your question.... If I'm lucky enough next year during my hunt. One of each

And if a hunter is spending a 125k to fill up a trophy room then he simply has a different mindset than I do. I'm not saying you or anyone else shouldn't import your trophies if that's what makes you happy but if that is what stops you from hunting those animals than you're probably hunting for the wrong reasons.

$125k does not fill a trophy room unless you are buying at estate sales.

The reality is if trophy import is restricted hunters don't spend the same dollars - that is real world. Ask any zim elephant specialist how the ivory ban impacted business.

Right reason for hunting does not sell $100k plus hunts. Same way if a tree hugger asked you to take a photo instead of killing a lion or leopard but demand you still spend the same dollars. Hunting is a blood sport and as dollar prices go up there is a expectation of bringing back a trophy - why you see all the taxidermist, trophy room designers and others at dsc/sci.

The new lion trophy hunting rules were imposed with assumption it impacts hunting not that it changes hunting behavior away from taxidermy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just did a quick count of how many animals I've left in Africa and it's well over 60. Including buff, sable, and a plethora of PG animals from 3 hunts... It's not for everyone. I understand that people really like their mounts. I'm simply saying import or not shouldn't stop someone from enjoying and experiencing a safari

I have left plenty behind too. For a lot (a majority) of hunters part of the safari experience is bringing the trophy back. Not for me but I don't expect most hunters to have the same preference I do.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I listened to Ashe's message, I came away with two thoughts:

1. This will do nothing to preserve the African lion; it is simply a vindictive way to lash out at hunters and appease Obama's liberal base.
2. Ashe said he is not going to grant any permits to anyone convicted of a wildlife violation. That means leopard, et al in my opinion. He said importing trophies is a privilege, not a right. Well, so is driving but we don't suspend someone's driver license if they are caught speeding. Here are some that I have seen documented on TV/media by fairly famous outdoor communicators:
1. Using a scope on a muzzle loader in a state where that is not allowed.
2. Varmint hunting using suppressors in states not allowed.
3. Shooting a moose less than 50 inches (by a fairly well known bowhunter)

We have one member here who was ticketed for some infraction (I can't recall what that was but it struck me at the time as an honest mistake). Based on Ashe's comments, he will never be able to import another trophy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/...20151217_fR_lion.pdf

Link to Federal Register Notice

Page 58 begins trophy hunting

Page 89 As a result,we do not believe that the captive-lion industry currently contributes to, reduces, or removes threats to the species.

Page 92 Unless reforms are made to the current management of trophy hunting, we expect the declines specifically documented from excessive off takes in Benin, Cameroon, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe to continue.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed mate and I think film and good photography can replace the physical trophy for some. Pricing will have to suit.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/...20151217_fR_lion.pdf

Link to Federal Register Notice

Page 58 begins trophy hunting

Page 89 As a result,we do not believe that the captive-lion industry currently contributes to, reduces, or removes threats to the species.

Page 92 Unless reforms are made to the current management of trophy hunting, we expect the declines specifically documented from excessive off takes in Benin, Cameroon, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe to continue.

Except we implemented a three year ban and have not taken off Lions to date?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Andrew, and the sad thing is that 3 year ban helped the poachers move into the areas and we all know and have seen your own photos of the results!!!! Nothing these people do make any sense and is not helping wildlife at all.

And I am afraid we lost this battle....

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:

Perhaps a little introspection would good idea to try and understand what we did as hunters to contribute to the loss of the battle . . . like SCI refusing to adopt the definition of a huntable male, continuing to allow canned lion hunting, shooting too many immature males, engaging in practices that while legal are questionable ethically, etc. I will be the first to concede that my attitude was once that if it was your lion hunt and you wanted to take a less than fully mature lion, that was your prerogative. Attitudes like that undoubtedly contributed to this happening. To me the big take away is that we have understand, consider and adapt within reason based on how our actions are perceived by the broader public. That does not mean kowtowing to public opinion but it does mean being aware of public opinion and staying away from activities that are likely to precipitate a public outcry. I think the days of just saying, "to hell with what others think I am going to do what I want to do" are over. The lesson here is that you can get away with that attitude for a time, but eventually public opinion will catch up with you.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Perhaps a little introspection would good idea to try and understand what we did as hunters to contribute to the loss of the battle . . . like SCI refusing to adopt the definition of a huntable male, continuing to allow canned lion hunting, shooting too many immature males, engaging in practices that while legal are questionable ethically, etc. I will be the first to concede that my attitude was once that if it was your lion hunt and you wanted to take a less than fully mature lion, that was your prerogative. Attitudes like that undoubtedly contributed to this happening. To me the big take away is that we have understand, consider and adapt within reason based on how our actions are perceived by the broader public. That does not mean kowtowing to public opinion but it does mean being aware of public opinion and staying away from activities that are likely to precipitate a public outcry. I think the days of just saying, "to hell with what others think I am going to do what I want to do" are over. The lesson here is that you can get away with that attitude for a time, but eventually public opinion will catch up with you.

Good post Mike.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mr. Jines,

You have taken a lot of crap for these ideas lately. I wonder where the do as I please screw everyone else crowd is today? Me? I am figuring out what to do about my deposit in Moz to hunt lion in July. Gut punch this was. It is a case of too little to late and old Palmer was the poster child of the me first hunters. We were not very smart.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

Good post Mike.

Yeah good.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

100 %

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote