THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    USFWS to declare status of Arican lions on 12/28
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USFWS to declare status of Arican lions on 12/28
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Frostbite: That he is. What you see is what you get. He came and spoke at SCI's wildlife legal seminar a few years back and what a condescending dick. He had a gaggle of fully uniformed USFWS officers with him and they sat in front of me. He smugly informed us at that time that big changes were coming to ele hunting and he knew what they were but he was not going to discuss them with us. Then he went on to lecture us about the fact that we needed to be involved in anti-poaching. He was clueless and eventually John Jackson challenged him on some issues and made him look like the total ass that he was. You could feel a whole mood change come over the room from one of listening to one of anger, disgust and defiance. I believe that he hates hunters.

Exactly....... you could feel it. There are many more in positions of power that think and feel the same. This has been apparent for a couple of decades for those who truly watch what is happening and who is getting promoted in the various bureaucracies.

It is a lot worse than many on here want to think or admit to. She is tough slogging ahead.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb...cts-lions-in-africa/

Interview of Director Ashe on PBS news hour.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9498 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Frostbite: That he is. What you see is what you get. He came and spoke at SCI's wildlife legal seminar a few years back and what a condescending dick. He had a gaggle of fully uniformed USFWS officers with him and they sat in front of me. He smugly informed us at that time that big changes were coming to ele hunting and he knew what they were but he was not going to discuss them with us. Then he went on to lecture us about the fact that we needed to be involved in anti-poaching. He was clueless and eventually John Jackson challenged him on some issues and made him look like the total ass that he was. You could feel a whole mood change come over the room from one of listening to one of anger, disgust and defiance. I believe that he hates hunters.

Exactly....... you could feel it. There are many more in positions of power that think and feel the same. This has been apparent for a couple of decades for those who truly watch what is happening and who is getting promoted in the various bureaucracies.

It is a lot worse than many on here want to think or admit to. She is tough slogging ahead.

Plus 1 more!

Vote in the primaries for a hunting friendly GOP candidate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
PS:
But...Dan Ashe is not necessarily the problem in hisself. I am going share something that happened but can't tell the country or names.

A friend of mine's company just hosted Dan Ashe and his staff to see their operation in Africa. My friend's opinion was that he was a reasonable person and...he is a hunter hisself.

USF&W would have liked to have seen SCI step up to the plate and have endorsed the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion and worked WITH SCI to liaison with hunters to do what it right for wildlife. AND let's not forget, there are huge problems in Africa with poaching and quota mismanagement.

If we could get a hunting org to represent us properly where we have a board to control it...(and for the record we need to scrap SCI at this point as they have tarnished ther reputation with everyone...me included) we could work with USF&W to control our own destiny.

And while sometimes, especially with administrations like the Obama administration pulling the strings, it is important to clarify rules in the court with USF&W...antagonizing them relentlessly in the court also alienates them and has never really accomplished much in a positive way. There has to be a happy medium.

The bottom Liz is that we really really need a POTUS that sees hunting as conservation...as it really is.

I thought is was important to clarify the above.

Maybe the NRA will step up and fill the void as an org.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
PS:
But...Dan Ashe is not necessarily the problem in hisself. I am going share something that happened but can't tell the country or names.

A friend of mine's company just hosted Dan Ashe and his staff to see their operation in Africa. My friend's opinion was that he was a reasonable person and...he is a hunter hisself.

USF&W would have liked to have seen SCI step up to the plate and have endorsed the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion and worked WITH SCI to liaison with hunters to do what it right for wildlife. AND let's not forget, there are huge problems in Africa with poaching and quota mismanagement.

If we could get a hunting org to represent us properly where we have a board to control it...(and for the record we need to scrap SCI at this point as they have tarnished ther reputation with everyone...me included) we could work with USF&W to control our own destiny.

And while sometimes, especially with administrations like the Obama administration pulling the strings, it is important to clarify rules in the court with USF&W...antagonizing them relentlessly in the court also alienates them and has never really accomplished much in a positive way. There has to be a happy medium.

The bottom Liz is that we really really need a POTUS that sees hunting as conservation...as it really is.

Lane:

I have read almost the entire 230 page document. The document even states that a six year old rule might even obviate the need to establish quotas.

Can we age lions accurately via tooth examination? If so, the solution seems pretty simple: UFWS inspects every lion. Lions not passing the rule are not allowed to be imported. Countries that "flunk" too many times are placed on "do not import" list for a period of time.

Why can't something like this be feasible?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
AAW,
In the beginning, TZ was going to make their aging data transparent and USF&W was going have independent verification probably by Craig Packer. Not only did they not make the process transparent...they revoked Craig's research clearance.

TZ continues to this day to be opaque.

Theoretically what you say could be done...but I think USF&W is more interested in the country of origin doing a better job with the conservation as a whole...than just verifying a few trophies to accommodate import.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ashehole is no friend of hunters and anyone who believes otherwise is a fool. No one who is a friend of hunters would ever issue a director's order like he just did. He is the problem and has been for years. Just look at the elephant and now the lion. And you can ask SCI's legal counsel Anna Seidman just how often the USFWS has ignored a judge's order or findings and continued to pursue their own agenda. This is happening throughout the Obama administration, ergo, the Justice Department,the NLRB also believe that they are a law unto themselves as well and do what they want. Ashehole needs to go. We need to get our congressional reps to demand his ouster.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The real problem is Barack Obama. And if we are going to fix the problem...we will replace him with someone besides Hillary Clinton. And preferably with someone who actually might try to work with hunters.

I never said Ashe was a friend to hunters...but he is only a puppet in the big scheme of things. A very reputable outfitter was able reason with him when they showed him why their lions met "the criteria."

And SCI and their ignorance and arrogance is the other problem.

But...no need to listen to me...as I only accurately predicted what was going to happen 5 years ago and couldn't convince enough people then either.

Had SCI listened...we might not be where we are today.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The real problem is Barack Obama. And if we are going to fix the problem...we will replace him with someone besides Hillary Clinton. And preferably with someone who actually might try to work with hunters.

I never said Ashe was a friend to hunters...but he is only a puppet in the big scheme of things. A very reputable outfitter was able reason with him when they showed him why their lions met "the criteria."

But...no need to listen to me...as I only accurately predicted what was going to happen 5 years ago and couldn't convince enough people then either.

SCI gives awards to really really rich people subsidized by membership from just rich people. That and a focus on running a marketing convention once a year. Conservation hunting all the other stuff is just fluff told around marketing, selling and giving awards for hunts.

Till we get away from this mindset of awards and trophies for killing animals and get a focus back on hunting the story is lost of the general public.

This lion hunting ban was in the works for a while. Numerous hunts were sold with a sales pitch of do it now before it gets illegal. Elephant was a bigger surprise.

Getting lion and elephant trophy import back is a remote chance event. Lets hope the NRA steps to preserve what remains - we need to start a grass root approach to legally (state constitution) solidify US hunting rights. I have pretty much written off leopard going forward.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

SCI gives awards to really really rich people subsidized by membership from just rich people. That and a focus on running a marketing convention once a year. Conservation hunting all the other stuff is just fluff told around marketing, selling and giving awards for hunts.

Till we get away from this mindset of awards and trophies for killing animals and get a focus back on hunting the story is lost of the general public.

This lion hunting ban was in the works for a while. Numerous hunts were sold with a sales pitch of do it now before it gets illegal. Elephant was a bigger surprise.

Getting lion and elephant trophy import back is a remote chance event. Lets hope the NRA steps to preserve what remains - we need to start a grass root approach to legally (state constitution) solidify US hunting rights. I have pretty much written off leopard going forward.

Mike

I am with you on all of that Mike...100%!!! tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
PS:

Lane:

I have read almost the entire 230 page document. The document even states that a six year old rule might even obviate the need to establish quotas.

Why can't something like this be feasible?

AAW - The fact that quotas could be eliminated if all lions killed were 6+ yrs old has been suggested for 5 years now! Those in control simply needed to listen.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

Mike

I am with you on all of that Mike...100%!!! tu2

Mike - BINGO!!! SCI has the distinction of being known as "THE" go-to hunting organization around the world, especially by those like the USFWS, wildlife scientists, CITES, IUCN, etc, etc. It is/was outrageously imperative that SCI is/was seen as setting the example for conservation minded hunting efforts, and initiatives in this instance - period!!!! Obviously they did not do so!!!

I, like others have railed against SCI for their lack of leadership / action over the past 5 years as it pertains to all of these lion issues. From zero support of the lion definition, to the $1million raised for lion conservation that has seen little to no conservation use, to the Palmer/legal sport hunting debacle, etc. I have been sent a couple of PM's from loyal SCI supporters telling me that in most of these types OF cases SCI is advised by a PR firm / counsel, regarding a response and they have been advised not to respond! Really? Well to that I say, HOW'S THAT WORKIN OUT FOR YA???? faint

This isn't just about hunting, this is about our responsibility as hunters/sportsmen to lead the way in wildlife conservation - so generations to come have the same opportunity as the one before them! SCI has seriously dropped that ball and Africa's wildlife is soon to be the first loser - but hey, they did hand out 3 Gold Ring - Diamond Level platinum pendants for the 3 horned, triple breasted, Appalachian snow goat. Way to go!!! 2020

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9977 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We still have a major problem aging lions in the field.

Unless, of course, they are known from birth clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Had TZ not revoked Craig Packer's research clearance...he wa fixing to start a series of live lion aging courses in Serengheti National Park geared specifically for PHs.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had TZ not revoked Craig Packer's research clearance...he wa fixing to start a series of live lion aging courses in Serengheti National Park geared specifically for PHs.
Surely SCI's fault.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Surely SCI's fault.

If you had been involved in the whole fiasco like "some" here were...you would know that they (SCI) were complicit.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
My opinion is SCI does pretty good job
Can't do it all and nobody really helps them except criticizing what they don't do.
Hunting is diverse and money is in short supply
To be on all fronts, they would need at least NRA size base
Biggest threat to all hunting is Libs and USFWS with their Unlimited taxpayers money

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Can't do it all and nobody really helps them except criticizing what they don't do.
Biggest threat to all hunting is Libs and USFWS with their Unlimited taxpayers money

BK,
With all due respect...Aaron and I (and others who want to remain anonymous) handed them the solution with a brokered deal (with USF&W) attached in regards to the lion and USF&WS...all they had to do was endorse as did DSC. The deal required both...SCI declined. Now...you see where we are today with the USF&W and lion...that bled onto ele.

SCI is a big part of the problem.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BK,
With all due respect...Aaron and I (and others who want to remain anonymous) handed them the solution with a brokered deal (with USF&W) attached in regards to the lion and USF&WS...all they had to do was endorse as did DSC. The deal required both...SCI declined. Now...you see where we are today with the USF&W and lion...that bled onto ele.

True That!!!!

Friends, I am but a small fish in a big pond in this fiasco! Many of those involved, those Lane refers to as wanting to remain anonymous are much more intelligent, educated, informed and connected than am I. I simply am willing to scream from the mountain top, when others aren't.

Fact is, the very fact of the matter is - with some cooperation from those most notably seen as the world's hunting / conservation leaders, a lot of this could have been diverted. Not only was it a lack of cooperation, but an actual resistance and influence upon others NOT to support said conservation efforts.

I remember being so frustrated and upset once I got a real dose of big boy politics. I was shocked that personal agendas were more important than the long-term conservation of one of the world's most iconic species!!! One that defines safari, safari hunting and African lore in general. We as a collective group failed the Lion, that simple.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a new movie out called "The Big Short" about the housing and banking crisis in the US in 2008-2008 that nearly wrecked our economy and part of the western world.
In summary, some very smart people did some very dumb things trusting what they "thought" was right when in reality, they were making decisions solely on self interest and flawed data. When the data showed they were headed for a disaster, they still chose to believe what they wanted to believe.

This entire lion/polar bear/CITES/elepant/rhino mess is largely due to this as well. We THINK we know what the logical solution is, but the we chose not to believe the facts. The USFWS should know better as should many of the conservations groups out there.

I am appalled that groups like SCI, DSC, any other you choose to mention do not partner or become ingrained into the various federal and state commissions that regulate "wildlife". How is this not happeneing? DU was at the table when the North American Waterfowl Management Plan was written in 1986. Other groups (Delta Waterfowl comes to mind) actively seek insertion into committees and anything that they can do to help further understanding of waterfowl conservation and propagation.

SCI, Boone and Crockett, Rowland and Ward, DSC, FNAWS, (pick any from a list) should be at the table as part of the process.

I fear that SCI and some of the others are more interested in suing or creating new slam awards, than in becoming part of the solution to complex problems.

I suspect that World Wildlife Fund, Friends of Animals and a host of other "antis" are at the table with their "facts". WE need to be as well.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, Lane, etc thank you so much for your efforts and I believe what you say regarding the SCI fiasco...it is disgraceful and because of this I am reconsidering renewing my membership.

In your opinion(s) do you think that this ruling spells the end of Lion hunting?? Can it be revised, etc and do you believe that it is just the beginning of the end and that Leopard is next?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Aaron, Lane, etc thank you so much for your efforts and I believe what you say regarding the SCI fiasco...it is disgraceful and because of this I am reconsidering renewing my membership.

In your opinion(s) do you think that this ruling spells the end of Lion hunting?? Can it be revised, etc and do you believe that it is just the beginning of the end and that Leopard is next?

LT,
It definitely could be reversed. But, USF&WS as an executive branch agency...usually serves the agenda of the POTUS. Wink

There is no data this support the addition of the leopard...but that does not mean anything.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LT,
It definitely could be reversed. But, USF&WS as an executive branch agency...usually serves the agenda of the POTUS. Wink

There is no data this support the addition of the leopard...but that does not mean anything.

I tell ya Lane, it seems like our entire way of life is under attack by the POS in the White House

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LT,

As LT said - thank you Aaron, Lane and others for your efforts. Several are talking as if future imports of leopards are already or about to be in jeopardy. Is there something in the works that someone knows about - something more definitive than the constant threat that always exists? 6 months away from leopard hunt ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
quote:
quote:

LT,

As LT said - thank you Aaron, Lane and others for your efforts. Several are talking as if future imports of leopards are already or about to be in jeopardy. Is there something in the works that someone knows about - something more definitive than the constant threat that always exists? 6 months away from leopard hunt ....

I don't know of any nhoro.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, let me put it to you this way sir. Today I received a message from an AR member, who's very well informed and frankly has a much greater reach than do I. You all know him, and all respect him too.

He told me the rumor was (and I have heard this several times from other reliable sources) that SCI refused to support the "Huntable Lion Definition" simply because of DSC's support/involvement. Really??? How completely and totally pathetic is that?

My point, unless we as a cohesive group of conservation minded sportsmen are willing to put aside childish turf wars and ego bumping - I see little hope any of this will be reversed or deterred in the future. Are we concerned about conservation, the species in question and hunting in general - or are we concerned about our awards programs and who came up with what ideas first? So far, I think the answer to that is quite obvious.

Now look, that's not to insinuate that there aren't some out there doing a fine job in support of conservation - but it seems to be over shadowed by the 3-horned snow goat awards and back slapping amongst the insiders.

I know this is a bit off topic, but of amusing interest to me frankly. I've hunted with, guided and know many of the guides who have guided some of these "big wig / super hunters" with more world hunting awards than most of us have trophies on our walls. The funny thing is, the real "hunters" are actually the guys guiding these folks to their many worldwide trophies. Honestly, sometimes I've been left shaking my head - asking myself has this person ever done this before? Then I see them in a future issue of some magazine congratulating them for "super hunter" of the year award! Good heavens - we seriously need to reevaluate our role as hunters IMO. I'm not saying not to be proud of one's accomplishments - but I do think the award programs give the wrong appearance to the general public that hunting to us is more of a "game/contest" than anything else.

I am without a doubt a "trophy hunter", but I trophy hunt for myself and the pure joy of what it brings to me to face off with the biggest/best out there that I can find. That's the experience I enjoy! Not because I need the acceptance and recognition of others - who see it as some reason for recognition. I have numerous trophies that would qualify for book entry, and could easily qualify for numerous "awards" too, but why? Fact is boys, nobody else gives a DAMN, they just don't care! When I completed my slam of wild NA sheep in 2014 I was congratulated for joining the "elite" fraternity of special hunters who had done so (I've yet to enter my slam with any organization) Sure, its an accomplishment I am proud of, but its not as if those who have not done so are some how inferior to myself and those that have. Its this mentality that divides us, and makes us really look like a bunch of ego maniac, entitled, over bearing goof balls - rather than sportsmen interested in conservation. We gotta stop this crap!

Same with the "meat" hunters nowadays that have taken on this mightier than thou approach to hunting - as if unless you hunt solely for meat, you aren't really a hunter! Its a foolish approach that is painting us into a dangerous corner - insinuating to the non-knowing public that unless subsistence is the reason, hunting is somehow a bad thing. Especially if you are after that big buck, rather than hunting just to fill the freezer. I mean come on folks - I too love eating wild game, I sincerely do. But how many people here know someone who literally hunts out of survival necessity? Without it, they would perish?? I know hundreds of hunters, not a single one of them falls into this category. I am sure there are a few, but it would definitely not be the norm. But if we keep insisting this is our motive, we are going to lose a lot of hunting opportunities that don't qualify as meat/subsistence hunts - guaranteed!

We have some many divides, while the antis seem to be united in one thing - all hunting is BAD!! I know I too occasionally make a mistake in regards to this message - but we really must try to come together on more common ground amongst ourselves. Otherwise LEOPARDTRACK, this is only the beginning!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the posts by the SCI apologists read like they were written by Baghdad Bob. Given the current perception of hunters and the rate at which we are losing places to hunt, I can't see how anyone can claim SCI has been successful in doing anything other than hosting a convention.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Some of the posts by the SCI apologists read like they were written by Baghdad Bob. Given the current perception of hunters and the rate at which we are losing places to hunt, I can't see how anyone can claim SCI has been successful in doing anything other than hosting a convention.

Thats not fair...they're also really good at majestic looking trophies and plaques.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Well, let me put it to you this way sir. Today I received a message from an AR member, who's very well informed and frankly has a much greater reach than do I. You all know him, and all respect him too.

He told me the rumor was (and I have heard this several times from other reliable sources) that SCI refused to support the "Huntable Lion Definition" simply because of DSC's support/involvement. Really??? How completely and totally pathetic is that?

My point, unless we as a cohesive group of conservation minded sportsmen are willing to put aside childish turf wars and ego bumping - I see little hope any of this will be reversed or deterred in the future. Are we concerned about conservation, the species in question and hunting in general - or are we concerned about our awards programs and who came up with what ideas first? So far, I think the answer to that is quite obvious.

Now look, that's not to insinuate that there aren't some out there doing a fine job in support of conservation - but it seems to be over shadowed by the 3-horned snow goat awards and back slapping amongst the insiders.

I know this is a bit off topic, but of amusing interest to me frankly. I've hunted with, guided and know many of the guides who have guided some of these "big wig / super hunters" with more world hunting awards than most of us have trophies on our walls. The funny thing is, the real "hunters" are actually the guys guiding these folks to their many worldwide trophies. Honestly, sometimes I've been left shaking my head - asking myself has this person ever done this before? Then I see them in a future issue of some magazine congratulating them for "super hunter" of the year award! Good heavens - we seriously need to reevaluate our role as hunters IMO. I'm not saying not to be proud of one's accomplishments - but I do think the award programs give the wrong appearance to the general public that hunting to us is more of a "game/contest" than anything else.

I am without a doubt a "trophy hunter", but I trophy hunt for myself and the pure joy of what it brings to me to face off with the biggest/best out there that I can find. That's the experience I enjoy! Not because I need the acceptance and recognition of others - who see it as some reason for recognition. I have numerous trophies that would qualify for book entry, and could easily qualify for numerous "awards" too, but why? Fact is boys, nobody else gives a DAMN, they just don't care! When I completed my slam of wild NA sheep in 2014 I was congratulated for joining the "elite" fraternity of special hunters who had done so (I've yet to enter my slam with any organization) Sure, its an accomplishment I am proud of, but its not as if those who have not done so are some how inferior to myself and those that have. Its this mentality that divides us, and makes us really look like a bunch of ego maniac, entitled, over bearing goof balls - rather than sportsmen interested in conservation. We gotta stop this crap!

Same with the "meat" hunters nowadays that have taken on this mightier than thou approach to hunting - as if unless you hunt solely for meat, you aren't really a hunter! Its a foolish approach that is painting us into a dangerous corner - insinuating to the non-knowing public that unless subsistence is the reason, hunting is somehow a bad thing. Especially if you are after that big buck, rather than hunting just to fill the freezer. I mean come on folks - I too love eating wild game, I sincerely do. But how many people here know someone who literally hunts out of survival necessity? Without it, they would perish?? I know hundreds of hunters, not a single one of them falls into this category. I am sure there are a few, but it would definitely not be the norm. But if we keep insisting this is our motive, we are going to lose a lot of hunting opportunities that don't qualify as meat/subsistence hunts - guaranteed!

We have some many divides, while the antis seem to be united in one thing - all hunting is BAD!! I know I too occasionally make a mistake in regards to this message - but we really must try to come together on more common ground amongst ourselves. Otherwise LEOPARDTRACK, this is only the beginning!!!

Well said brother!

Aaron and I have always had slightly different takes on things and we have known each other for a long time now. When we talk privately about how to move things forward for hunting...we disagree slightly amongst he and I all the time.

But...when we are in the public eye or in meetings etc etc...we always stand together to push the hunting as conservation message.

Hunters must unite BUT even more importantly...we must not remain silent politically anymore we have to push the political hunting agenda.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron and guys,
You may want to go to Peter Flack's website and read some of his blogs and ideas on how he would attack the USFWS and others. He has good ideas and I would support that with money and time.
I have had a fill of SCI and others that will not attack but only play defense.

Posts: 10372 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

BK,

Lane USF&WS was always going to do what it wanted to do and they had the audacity to sidestep CITIES and other regulatory bodies.

Thank god you have a constitution that protects your rights to bear arms otherwise your guns would have gone the way of the Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
ane USF&WS was always going to do what it wanted to do and they had the audacity to sidestep CITIES and other regulatory bodies.

Maybe so Andrew...but there was a time that USF&WS wanted to liaise with hunters through SCI and DSC. They gave the LCTF a chance show there was reciprocity with DSC (which there was) and SCI (which there was not).

What the LCTF asked DSC and SCI to do was endorse a good conservation practice. So when SCI turned down the chance to endorse good conservation and form a partnership bringing the worlds leading lion scientists together with the hunting community...USF&WS moved on.

And that my friend is exactly how it happened.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
ane USF&WS was always going to do what it wanted to do and they had the audacity to sidestep CITIES and other regulatory bodies.

Maybe so Andrew...but there was a time that USF&WS wanted to liaise with hunters through SCI and DSC. They gave the LCTF a chance show there was reciprocity with DSC (which there was) and SCI (which there was not).

What the LCTF asked DSC and SCI to do was endorse a good conservation practice. So when SCI turned down the chance to endorse good conservation and form a partnership bringing the worlds leading lion scientists together with the hunting community...USF&WS moved on.

Lane, If that's true (and I don't doubt you) then it is a total disgrace and I don't blame USFW for the ruling.

One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane USF&WS was always going to do what it wanted to do and they had the audacity to sidestep CITIES and other regulatory bodies.

Thank god you have a constitution that protects your rights to bear arms otherwise your guns would have gone the way of the Lion.

Andrew hits the nail on the head.

USFWS are eco terrorists who use "scientists" to push their agenda.

Packer was never on our side. His statements are easy enough to read. He is a hired gun and should never have been trusted by any hunters.

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 794 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Packer was never on our side. His statements are easy enough to read. He is a hired gun and should never have been trusted by any hunters.

There are many who have been put into place to destroy us from within.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

Ya guys, that's not entirely true! Lane could tell you better than I, but I can tell you from my own personal phone calls/emails with Dr. Packer that his intentions in the beginning weren't always as such. Remember, every action has a reaction!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
All I have to say is this:

How is it working out for us today?

It could not have been any worse trying to work with the scientists. Has anyone here actually read the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion?

If so...how would endorsing that that statement be detrimental to hunters?

Then after you answer that statement...how is having a document that puts the leading lion scientists on record of saying hunting of lion is OK as long as you follow these guidelines a bad thing???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:

Ya guys, that's not entirely true! Lane could tell you better than I, but I can tell you from my own personal phone calls/emails with Dr. Packer that his intentions in the beginning weren't always as such. Remember, every action has a reaction!

Run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lane,

do we have a quote or anything written from Ashe along these lines? That way we could all be done with SCI once and for all.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote