Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique Hunting????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
What is the current political climate in this nation?? How is the hunting of elephants in this area?? Lot's of questions, but may be able to acquire a hunt in the area with short notice and looking for some "short notice..." answers if possible. What other types of game are available in the nation of Mozambique?? Lots of questions I realize, but whole thing kind of come up sudden like. Thanks for responses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the politics of mozm are a bit greasy. you will also have to buy licenses for any animals you want to shoot before you hunt and then pay a fee on them after. the fee is similzr to zim, but the licenses do add up quick. you can't imnport ele or croc to the U.S. probability is good to have charter airfaire to pay out. animals available are similar to zim. overall average hunt there i believe will end up in the 25-30000 range. other than that mozm is rather backwards when compared to bots. zim or rsa, safety is not a problem. in some areaas there are still landmines, but the people know where those are.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with george Hallamore for elphant in March. He hunts northern Mozambique in September and October. He told me that there are some really big bulls up along the Tanzanian border. His hunters have taken some exceptional bulls in the 70 - 80 lb class. It is arguably one of the best areas for big bulls. Thet are very expensive hunts though. Well beyond my financial range.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
the politics of mozm are a bit greasy. you will also have to buy licenses for any animals you want to shoot before you hunt and then pay a fee on them after. the fee is similzr to zim, but the licenses do add up quick. you can't imnport ele or croc to the U.S. probability is good to have charter airfaire to pay out. animals available are similar to zim. overall average hunt there i believe will end up in the 25-30000 range. other than that mozm is rather backwards when compared to bots. zim or rsa, safety is not a problem. in some areaas there are still landmines, but the people know where those are.

A lot of this is good advice, but some of it is incorrect. You can import Croc from Mozambique into the USA.

Not all areas require a license fee first, then a trophy fee. A lot of them do though. Check with your outfitter.

The rest of this is pretty accurate though. Remember, Mozambique is enormous. It touches South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania (among others). It is huge! Saying "I hunted Mozambique" is like saying "I have hunted the Rocky Mountains" You have to state which area you are looking at to get a good idea of the conditions.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that Moz has the capability to replace Zimbabwe as "the" place to go for good value. Currently there are lots of investors pouring in TONS of foreign capital into the tourist industry and the safari business is growing. It's Africa, so only time will tell. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wendell - when did the croc change? Last time I looked (which is a bit ago) they still wouldn't allow import

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I can't remember. But in the last 5 years or so (at least) it was possible.

I wish the USF&W would start allowing the import of Elephant. Jeez, this country has Big Elephants in certain areas.

I have a photo of me "posing" by the Zambezi with a set of tusks 82x76 lbs that came from Moz.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell is exactly right. Barrie Duckworth charges no additional license fee in Mozambique. It is incorporated into the trophy fees which are exactly the same as his Zim prices. Daily fees are the same also. Game densities are not high but everybody gets there game. Buff of 42", nyala 31", sable 40", excellent Livingstone's eland and Lichenstein's hartebeest are among the trophies taken there so far.

One thing I like is you can hunt sable for $500 per day for 10 days and a $2500 trophy fee. This makes for a relatively inexpensive sable for a person that is not afraid to walk. All plains game is available also on this 10 day hunt.

I'm spending a week there next year and very much looking forward to it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It must be pretty safe there. Cabela's is offering hunting trips there in their most recent catalog.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
He told me that there are some really big bulls up along the Tanzanian border. His hunters have taken some exceptional bulls in the 70 - 80 lb class. It is arguably one of the best areas for big bulls.

The 100 pounder that the Tanz game scouts shot last year (?) came from near the Moz border, and crossed to and fro, if I remember correctly.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Political climate is not something you need to worry about - everything is very peaceful over there. Moz offers some excellent hunting experiences and there are good buff, ele (although you can't import them in the US), Croc, Hippo and plains game such as Sable, Chobe Bushbuck, Kudu etc. up there. Some areas are also very good for cats. You could get a 7 day buff package including trophy fee for 1 bull and all other fees for around $10K. Add to this charter fees of around $6,000 (from SA). Of course it becomes more affordable if travel in a group and share the charter.

This is a picture of the camp I use at Tchu Matchato on Lake Cahorra Bassa:

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
These photos are from Kafakudzi Camp on south side of Cahorra Bassa July 2004. PH was Marc Harper.http://www.wwrendezvous.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=145&papass=&sort=1
http://www.wwrendezvous.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=143&papass=&sort=1
http://www.wwrendezvous.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=142&papass=&sort=1
http://www.wwrendezvous.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=141&papass=&sort=1

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As Wendell says, Mozambique is a HUGE country and I'll add that areas vary enormously...... It's always a bad thing to generalise but at the risk of doing so, you probably should be aware that Mozambique hunting is generally pretty tough going and if you go at the wrong time year is horrendously HOT! Game generally tends to be a lot more switched on than many other places, probably due to the fact that so many animals were shot for meat etc during the war years........ That said, there is good hunting to at good prices to be had there..... just don't forget it probably won't be an easy hunt........

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I've been into the Zambezi delta twice and gotten good buffalo both times. Bushpig are common and diurnal, warthog are thick and the antelope species are numerous. If it weren't for my insect allergies, I'd go again because the country is so beautiful. As for the political situation, the improvement from 2000 to 2004 was remarkable. Today I'd call if a far preferable place to hunt over Zim, and I've been there, too.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote