Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe base currency now USD
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Guests

It seems that officially the USD is now Zim's currency, at least for the forseeable future !!

Hope the USD does not start to crash (-:

Cheers, Peter (Officially now a trillionaire) Bill Gates eat your heart out ....

---------------------------

Published by the government of Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe: Banks Adopt U.S. Dollar As Base Currency - 9 June 2009

Harare — BANKS have successfully adopted the use of the United States dollar as the base currency for their systems.

The changeover which took effect from the beginning of the month relegating the Zimbabwean dollar, which has since independence been the base currency, to being the equivalence of foreign currency.

Zimbabwe dollar accounts were also converted to reflect the change in the currency base at a rate, which saw an equivalent of $6 quadrillion being converted at US$0,11.

Despite the adoption of multiple currencies at the beginning of February by the then Finance Minister, Senator Patrick Chinamasa in the 2009 National Budget, the local unit had continued to operate as the base currency.

However, this changed at the beginning of this month with the system change, which was initiated by the central bank.

What it now means is that all transactions in the country are based on US dollars and the local unit now functions like an external currency.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
No shit!

What's the difference between Michelle and Mugabe?

Mugabe is better looking.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess this means a price increase on all mdse purchased in Zim. as it appears there is no USD denomination small enough to have a direct conversion for most items. If the above is corrret $6 + $0.11.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
This probably means the Zim Gov't thinkds it now has available counterfeiting equipment that will fool the average Zimbabwe native.
However, if they do, it will be the old style $100's and $50's, which many folks there are reluctant to accept already.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Out of left field....

Glad to see that our old friend Will has come out of the closet.
Good thing we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy here on AR.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

Out of left field....

Glad to see that our old friend Will has come out of the closet.
Good thing we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy here on AR.
Peter.

I agree with Will.
What's the difference between Obama and Mugabe?
Obama's economic plan has not started working yet.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
I understand that the Zim's PM Morgan T will be meeting with Obama today ... Maybe Comrade Obama with his deep Africa roots will be kind enough to consider a NICE BAILOUT for Zim's, YES he can !!

Is it on the cards or does he insist Bob goes first ??

All the best to Zim's for the future

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know what Bob says about Oboma's economic plan "IT looks a lot like mine".

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
and Bob is right!! and Obama's plan will work just about as well.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Could anyone from that part of the world send me a few billion or more of Zimbabwe currency? Proper compensation will be made!
Thank you-Jeff in Texas

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And this morning on CNN it is reported that the US is going to send 73 Million in Aid to Zimbabwe. Must be they want to use our currency for everything now.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
After viewing the video I am reasonably encouraged by the Obama/USA support being offered to Zim's. The 73 million pledged is (hopefully) going to the right sectors and we presume the USA will have some checks and balances to ensure this occurs.

I do believe that by dollarising their currency it has started the road to recovery which we all know will be long and require many many more millions/billions of money.

I would hope that (behind the scenes) the USA seeing it is handing out American taxpayers money that it will seek out the millions that have been stashed away in Mugabe and Gono's bank accounts aroung the world and return it to the country to compliment the donations which are forthcoming.

WE do live in hope for a brighter future in Zim's but there is still work to be done to ease Mugabe out of the rocking chair

The meeting on Video

Cheers, Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope our friend Mugabe hasn't hitched his cart to a dead horse.

With Obama's spending, the deficits will skyrocket. The dollar is in for a big fall.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see when our US inflation rate will be right up there with Zims. Just let Obama loose and it will happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just returned from Zim and the absolute poverty and lack of infrastructure is most daunting. Not being a worldly traveler I found it most surpising that the "family" begins and ends with a "tribal village" with little to no marriages (no brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, etc). So far I find no way to even begin to lift these people from the grips of hundreds of years of bush life. Do we really want to and even more do THEY want us to?

Just my $.02 on a subject that I find overwhelming from my first personal observation.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote