New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra; A Dangerous Game?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
A BRITISH woman died after being hit by a ZEBRA while on safari with her husband, an inquest heard yesterday.
Eileen Whale, 77, was viewing wildlife when she was knocked down by the animal.

Doctors in Kenya, East Africa, treated Eileen and she was able to fly home.

But the pensioner from Ipswich, Suffolk, died of pancreatitis within weeks.

Medics believe the attack could have played a big part in the tragedy.

A full inquest into Eileen's death in February was due to be held in Ipswich yesterday.

But coroner Dr Peter Dean adjourned the hearing so more medical tests can be carried out.

He said: "She was struck by an animal.

"There are different suggestions as to how that occurred. Clearly a zebra collided with her and there were problems.

"There have to be further medical investigations to see whether there was any causal link between the event and the tragic outcome."

Meanwhile, widower Charles is taking legal action against Kent-based travel firm African Safari Club, which organised the safari and beach holiday for the couple.

Advertisement

Yesterday he refused to comment about his wife's death.

Nobody from the African Safari Club was available to comment.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The damn country has gone litigation crazy. I wonder what logic he applied when he decided to sue the agency. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well - I think I remember that Harry Selby once said that he considerered a furious zebra to be a very aweinspiring and dangerous animal..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7mmMagnum
posted Hide Post
Not specifically related to Zebra but horses in general; I've often heard it said that a wild stallion in full fight mode is more than a match for a grizzly bear. Don't know how true it is, but there ya go. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the F*ck she should have just stayed at home and died slowly with bed sores etc.!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a recent thread we've been told there is no danger in plains game. Seems mother nature has a different opinion.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Socialized medicine...Stand by. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As I have said before on this forum, I have faced only two charges.

One from a wounded lion, which we stopped immediately, as soon as it was launched, with two shots into the chest at twenty yards.

The other from a wounded plains zebra, which I stopped with a shot into the chest at ten feet.

Honest to God, the zebra scared me, and came much closer to hurting me, than the lion did. It was the damnedest thing I have ever experienced in the hunting fields.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a Mountain lion attack several years ago in an Orange County (Calif) nature park, on a young girl 10-11 years of age.

She was severly injured and a lawsuit was brought against the County, due to the attack. It never seems to amaze me what the legal system can litigate. I guess we can sue the weatherman if we get hit by lightning.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
The other from a wounded plains zebra, which I stopped with a shot into the chest at ten feet.

Based on the above, I have determined that your next hunt should be a Zebra hunt. Smiler

Hey, ask for opinions on AR, and you will get them!

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In fact, Wendell, it will be. Both plains and mountain zebra will be on license.

The mountain zebra is the black rhinoceros of zebra, you know. Makes the plains zebra seem timid. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
In fact, Wendell, it will be. Both plains and mountain zebra will be on license.

The mountain zebra is the black rhinoceros of zebra, you know. Makes the plains zebra seem timid. Big Grin

clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GROWING UP ON A HORSE RANCH YOU LEARNED AT A YOUNG HOW DANGEROUS HORSES CAN BE. IF ONE WAS SCARED OR HURT, THINGS CAN GET SERIOUS READ QUICK. I CAN IMAGINE A ZEBRA WOULD BE VERY DANGEROUS IN A SIMILAR SUITUATION.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Given the right circumestances all animals can be dangerous.

And sometimes it isn't physical pain. Why several years ago while trying to catch a flying squirrel in my garage the damn thing jumped and landed spread-eagle on my face. After violating me in ways that I can't speak of on a public forum it let go and darted out the door. Ever since being "schooled I give squirrels a wide berth. the horror

sofa

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Socialized medicine...Stand by. jorge

British system rationing of health care for those bruised by zebra?
Was there too long a wait for the CT or ERCP?

Obama got boo-ed by the AMA when he stated he did not want caps on malpractice awards.
That was the most heart warming incident so far in the 44th President's first, and hopefully only term.

So what did the Zebra do to her?
Bumped, hit, collided with her?
Autopsy report in yet?
Did that shake one of her tiny gall stones loose into the common bile duct and cause the pancreatitis?
That could happen from one too many coconut bonbons or pain killers (various) while recuperating from her bruises.
Gallstone pancreatitis can be a killer.
A scorpion sting can cause pancreatitis, etc.
Pancreatitis has many etiologies,
could even be coincidental and not related to the zebra at all.

Did the zebra step on her belly and squash her pancreas?

Was she riding zebra rodeo style?
Maybe too much "good cheer" (various) on vacation?
That can cause pancreatitis too. Roll Eyes

Where is there any negligence?
How did she come to be in such close proximity to zebra?
What was the mechanism and extent of her injury?
Did the pancreatitis result from zebra or something else entirely?
Who will be responsible for an act of God?
Was there a failure to diagnose on the part of a physician examining her in the aftermath of the rodeo?
What expensive test did he not do in a defensive medicine mode?
Her statistical life expectancy was 3 more years.
What is that worth to a lawyer?
Answer: 30% of the settlement, just to make him go away. Nice incentive.

But will it be enough to cover the lawyer's next safari?

Boo Obama!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:

And sometimes it isn't physical pain. Why several years ago while trying to catch a flying squirrel in my garage the damn thing jumped and landed spread-eagle on my face. After violating me in ways that I can't speak of on a public forum it let go and darted out the door. Ever since being "schooled I give squirrels a wide berth. the horror

sofa

jumping

That's hilarious! I just wet myself! When I was in highschool my best friend and I where clearing brush and trees off of fence rows at my uncle's beef farm in Ohio. We were cutting down and old dead tree when I felt something wet coming down on me. I looked up and sure enough we had disturbed a flying squirrel who was peeing on me! He just kind of flew off and I stood there in his filth. animal

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Obama got boo-ed by the AMA when he stated he did not want caps on malpractice awards.
That was the most heart warming incident so far in the 44th President's first, and hopefully only term.

You aren't kidding! It warmed my heart nicely.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,
Obama addressed the AMA in person, speech-style with teleprompter, and got booed in person, to his face!
"First time I have ever been proud of the AMA," to paraphrase Michelle Obama's reference to USA.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a zebra that was shot full of holes and ran a mile or two making a valiant effort to bite and kick my cousin and I. I was impressed enough that I will shoot all prone zebras at least once before walking up on them.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:

sofa

That is Gold.

As a paramedic I hate three things in this order. Horses, Quad Bikes and Motorcycles. They can all kill you.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP
I'm amazed that Obama thought that the AMA was going to approve of a plan that will likely take over a lot of decision making from MDs. The man is just too in love with the sound of his own voice.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
I suppose one could classify a donkey in the same category as a zebra? Stay out of their way!!! My husband, Brian, was driving into town one night with his elbow hanging out the window and a donkey came thundering out of the dark (in rutt, chasing a female) and ran right into the side of his car and closed its mouth over his elbow!!! His elbow was shredded and the door wrecked. The worst part of the whole incident was that whenever anyone asked him what happened to his arm, and he replied that a donkey had bitten him, they all collapsed laughing!!!

Moral of the story is: get bit by a lion and you'll get respect - get bit by a donkey - heehaw!!! jumping

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
What the F*ck she should have just stayed at home and died slowly with bed sores etc.!

I heard that pancreatitis is caused soley by the intake of too much of the 'happy juice" !!! beer

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
well - I think I remember that Harry Selby once said that he considerered a furious zebra to be a very aweinspiring and dangerous animal..

At the very end of Horn of the Hunter and the end of Ruark's safari.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The damn country has gone litigation crazy. I wonder what logic he applied when he decided to sue the agency.

Obviously the zebra in question must have been an employee of the Kent-based travel firm African Safari Club. Otherwise that would make ZERO sense, except to a lawyer.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Yes,
Obama addressed the AMA in person, speech-style with teleprompter, and got booed in person, to his face!
"First time I have ever been proud of the AMA," to paraphrase Michelle Obama's reference to USA.

+1 Dropped my membership years ago.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given the right circumestances all animals can be dangerous. Ever since being "schooled I give squirrels a wide berth. the horror

sofa

I love it. rotflmo

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gail Selby:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

I heard that pancreatitis is caused soley by the intake of too much of the 'happy juice" !!! beer

Alcohol and gallstones cause the vast majority of cases of pancreatitis; some say over 90%.

The laundry list of other causes that make up the other 10% leads to much amusement of med school professors when quizzing med students.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Saw a Grevy's at a horse ranch this week. Those are big and ornery looking critters.

Not my Pict, borrowed from wikipedia.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote